Samsonov regrets signing with Habs

mathieu30

“I thought this was going to be a better fit, because of the guys in the lineup and the way management portrayed things. But it was never meant to be.”

Saturday marked the sixth time this season that Samsonov had been a healthy scratch.

“I’ve been blamed for everything that has gone wrong. Why stop now?” Samsonov said. “Obviously, looking back, I regret my decision (to sign with the Canadiens). All you can do is make things different and learn from your mistakes. Things could have been done and handled differently.”

habsinsideout.com

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if he'd signed with someone else, what, would he have 40 goals by now ?

Thank God we only have him for one more year. After that, he'll never see the happy side of 2 million again.

no ones gonna want to sign in montreal after this.

Ye I agree. I mean he has been our most important player all year long and put up loads of points so its really weird that he is benched. I bet when all the stars of this league sees what he has done and still get benched they will never want to come here.

"This post was all about sarcasm for those who wouldnt understand that"

no ones gonna want to sign in montreal after this.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but yes, the whole thing could have been handled differently by the management/coaching staff.

That said, Samsonov certainly has to realize that he is part of this too. He cannot possibly be stupid enough to blame everything on everyone but himself. I wonder what mistakes he thinks that he himself has made. If he thinks signing with the Habs is the only mistake on his part, then he hasn't really learnt anything.

I for one am far from pleased with Carbo's rookie season as a coach. Much like Gretzky, he seems to have a lot to learn. Even if you've been a great player and a captain in the NHL even doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a great coach, at least not until you've gained experience. I question the wisdom of hiring as a head coach someone who has no prior experience of having been a coach what-so-ever, not even at the junior or minor or even pee-wee level. If you have prior experience you will have already made mistakes and learnt important lessons and you won't have to go through that in the extreme limelight in which every NHL coach makes his living, where so much is at stake.

But like I said, even a rookie coach behind the bench still doesn't explain or excuse how much Samsonov has stunk.

My opinion is that as things are right now, the best course of action for Gainey is to bite the bullet and buy out Samsonov. In his mind he's obviously already gone, and only bad things can come from having such a player on your team. Let him sit the rest of the year (unless he shows clear signs of having a will to change his attitude) and then buy him out during the post-season. If he (Samsonov) is willing to let bygones be bygones then he may have one final chance, but if he remains unwilling to make amends, let him leave.

"This post was all about sarcasm for those who wouldnt understand that"
Good, you had me worried there for a while. Edited by Doktor Kosmos

well the biggest thing against not signing any team from Canada is that the cities who have an NHL team are on the fanatic side and a little crazy. The media is very harsh and its a pressure cooker.

Now if you don't want any pressure you sign with an American team.

But in Samsonov's case he has no one to blame but himself on this one.

Well Sammy is second on the Canadiens for evenstrength point production, and he really never got a chance on the first PP unit or with Koivu.

That said he needs to be a professional about things and not air out his and the teams dirty laundry outside. He looks foolish and has cleared waivers which means no team wants him for the contract he signed. I would imagine a team may take a chance on him during the summer but the Canadiens will most likley have to pay to give him away. EX. Samsonov + 3rd or 4th round pick for a 5th or 6th round pick

I've supported Samsonov through his year-long slump, but this is really the last straw. Not playing? Shut up, sit on the bench, and hope to change things through hard work, not ill-timed interviews.

I mean he had to get this off his delicate chest now of all times, when the team is fighting for a playoff spot? Stupid and selfish.

I've supported Samsonov through his year-long slump, but this is really the last straw. Not playing? Shut up, sit on the bench, and hope to change things through hard work, not ill-timed interviews.

I mean he had to get this off his delicate chest now of all times, when the team is fighting for a playoff spot? Stupid and selfish.

I feel about the same way. Don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk, you know... Instead of crying about it he could try harder.

If he hates it that much, we'll see if he'll resign his contract.

I say screw him. you don't want to play here...aurevoir, farewell...it's not like he's going to transform into a 30goal scorer elsewhere

"I think Gainey panicked when he struck out on Shanahan and Arnott. But if the clearly identifiable need was a power forward, why sign a ballerina?

Maybe they thought Samsonov and Kovalev would be able to generate something. But then they forgot to sign Igor Larionov to centre Boris and Natasha."

Mike Boone's on the mark

I feel about the same way. Don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk, you know... Instead of crying about it he could try harder.

What the hell have you ever watched him play? He is going 100mph hour all the time and giving alot of effort. It is your favorite habs that is the lazy one. Carbo could have helped him get his game back but he didn't and now he gets the blame because he is the only big move Gainey decided to do.

Samsonov has the talent and the effort, it's Carbos fault for not helping him develop it and using it properly. Instead he made him into the scapegoat.

What the hell have you ever watched him play? He is going 100mph hour all the time and giving alot of effort. It is your favorite habs that is the lazy one. Carbo could have helped him get his game back but he didn't and now he gets the blame because he is the only big move Gainey decided to do.

Samsonov has the talent and the effort, it's Carbos fault for not helping him develop it and using it properly. Instead he made him into the scapegoat.

I agree. Every other coach in eight NHL seasons has gotten good production from Sammy. Unless he suddenly transformed into Kjell Dahlin over the summer, the explanation here is the way he was used by the coaching staff: i.e., BADLY.

Instead, Carbo probably feels proud that he got the most of out of Mark Streit. Sheesh.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I don't blame Samsonov for saying stuff like this. He's been a waterbug game in, game out and definitely doesn't deserve being scratched. You can argue that the guys in the lineup are playing better, but it gives the wrong impression to bench a player who's working hard... especially after the first time you benched him you said it's because he'd have to start working harder.

I don't think he'll be around next season but if he is he may very well finally start finishing his chances. After all, it will be a contract year for him. He will continue making pretty big money (for an NHLer) for the rest of his career.

I have to side with Samsonov on this....he's never had problems putting up points before. You don't suddenly forget how to play offensive hockey. Wrong system, wrong linemates maybe...but at that point it's up to the coach to tinker and to adjust to suit the players he has. Don't expect the players to suddenly change the kind game they've played their whole career and expect them to flourish. I think the low numbers for Koivu and Kovalev are a similar situation...Guy's system sucks ass, and you'd have to be crazy to sign in Montreal if you are an offense-first player.

They'll buy him out. The UFA money is better spent.

I am very worried about this. I'm concerned about Guy too. It wrenches my gut for the Habs becasue he is my fav. :(

from what I hear, the communication between carbonneau and his palyers isnt good at all. I think players on this team don't know what their role is.

one thing for sure, carbo believes more in a gritty style than the fancy-schmancy and MAYBE that's why we see more russian being scratch...Do I think it's fair ?? NO. but I'm not the coach.

I'd lived in Boston for years, and saw Sammy playing there for a number of seasons. This is why I was at first so excited to have him come over to Montreal. But that's not what we're talking about here. My issue here is not assigning the blame for Samsonov's poor play. It could be him, the system, linemates, city, coach, health, motivation, whatever, probably a combination of some of these.

What I'm pissed off about is the timing and nature of his comments. Why now, why can't it wait until the end of the season? He's been passed on while on waivers, the trade deadline is past, what can he possibly accomplish now except disrupt the team? It's the basic selfishness of it that bugs me, not the lack of production from him.

You are correct Redono his comments are very selfish to say the least, and no good can come from them as of right now.

Oh well it has happened and they can not change it might as well move on.

I don't understand what Samsonov wants. I think the team was very patient. When Samsonov was signed, Gainey made it clear that he would be given until January to start producing. I feel this was very generous and also wise on Gainey's part. When Samsonov was struggling in November and December Gainey protected him and repeated that he, Gainey, felt it would take till January for Samsonov to fit in.

I agree that Samsonov isn't the cause of our freefall. But, he was signed to be a scoring machine. He hasn't

done that to put it mildly. What does he think the Habs coaches should do. He feels he should be playing on the first line I guess. Well after a while you have to put up some numbers or you will get demoted. How long does he think we should wait?

Agreed....cant keep blaming and embarassing Samsonov...Carbo has destroyed this situation

That WHOLE TEAM SUCKED against Atlanta, and Carbo benches, further alienates, and probably destroys a potential offensive contributor for the remainder of the season. He hasnt been great but he has worked hard and that should not be punished....Who knows when he could break out of his slump...Besides, we ARE paying him

I believe he should have been placed on the first line, with Koivu and Kovalev, and told you've got all the time you need. Gainey understood it would take time, Carbo didn't. He's just not a game breaker that's going to make his 3rd or 4th linemates better, he's gotta play with other talented players. You simply can't be benched for lack of production, it sends a terrible message.