Most likely Habs to score 50g in a season in next 5 seasons?

giovannicanella

Chris Higgins can do it. He has looked like a 50 goal scorer in spurts. Just a matter of putting those spurts together over a full season and avoiding injury. It is a matter of luck as much as anything else.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As for Higgins, I love the guy and he will be a key player for us down the road, but he's far from being a true sniper, and will never score 50 goals in the NHL. He's a hard-working, decently skilled two-way player who gets hot every once in a while, but who just doen't have the skills to remain a top offensive contributor on a consistent basis.

As for Latendresse, I'll be very happy if he can be a consistent 25-30 goal powerforward. If he ever becomes more, great but I don't think we should build our future on it.

Finally, for Sergei Kostsitsyn, let's just wait a year or two to see how he does in pro hockey. Sure, he's looking great right now, and OHL coaches have some very encouraging comments about his play, but it's still only junior hockey. The step is huge...

As for Latendresse, I'll be very happy if he can be a consistent 25-30 goal powerforward. If he ever becomes more, great but I don't think we should build our future on it.

I want Latendresse to be a 40-40 player. he can do it and he will do it !!

I hope the Habs will have a 50 goal scorer someday soon. But on the current roster I do not think any of the will.

Higgis may have a shot a few times in his career to score 50 but it will be a real stretch.

Kostitsyn (A), he loves to pass and make pretty plays so unless he really becomes a much more greedy player I do not believe he will have the shot count to get to 50.

Latendresse could score 35+ on a regular basis becuase he is just so strong. I reall hope he works on 2 strength moves. 1. The Sundin move from behind the net. 2. The Marian Hossa cut to the net move practically carrying the defenseman to the net with you if need be.

I hope the Habs will have a 50 goal scorer someday soon. But on the current roster I do not think any of the will.

Higgis may have a shot a few times in his career to score 50 but it will be a real stretch.

Kostitsyn (A), he loves to pass and make pretty plays so unless he really becomes a much more greedy player I do not believe he will have the shot count to get to 50.

Latendresse could score 35+ on a regular basis becuase he is just so strong. I reall hope he works on 2 strength moves. 1. The Sundin move from behind the net. 2. The Marian Hossa cut to the net move practically carrying the defenseman to the net with you if need be.

I see latendresse and kostitsyn play regularly on the same line for many seasons to come, they seem to complement each other very well.

I see latendresse and kostitsyn play regularly on the same line for many seasons to come, they seem to complement each other very well.

I was saying the same thing last night. My true wish though is for the all Belarussian line.

I was saying the same thing last night. My true wish though is for the all Belarussian line.

maybe on PP with garbovsky at the point with markov and latendresse's big ass in front .

My money is on Alexander Ovechkin. He is getting unhappy having no support in Washington. Even though Washington management has promised to sign some good free agents this summer I predict 2 or 3 years from now Ovechkin will be even unhappier. Once we sign Markov to a 5 year contract this summer, Ovechkin will want to come to Montreal where there is some hockey interest and where he won't have to play against Markov.

This leads to us aquiring A.O. at the trade deadline in 3 years and the next season we finally have another 50 goal scorer (and another cup).

My money is on Alexander Ovechkin. He is getting unhappy having no support in Washington. Even though Washington management has promised to sign some good free agents this summer I predict 2 or 3 years from now Ovechkin will be even unhappier. Once we sign Markov to a 5 year contract this summer, Ovechkin will want to come to Montreal where there is some hockey interest and where he won't have to play against Markov.

This leads to us aquiring A.O. at the trade deadline in 3 years and the next season we finally have another 50 goal scorer (and another cup).

I like how you think !! :clap:

I'll have to go with Latendresse.16 goals so far in his rookie season and he's mostly been used on the 4th line, in a defensive role, with limited linemates. I don't think he'll ever score 50 goals just he seems to be the most reasonable bet. I can see 40 goals from Higgins, Kostitsyn, Latendresse or maybe Ryder and Sergei Kostitsyn.

Ryder definitely has it in him. Just needs a few more bounces to go his way. I think he tries to do things on his own a little too much, and this causes him to take low % shots. If he could just learn to use his team mates a little more and go to the net. He can be a 50 goal scorer.

Sorry man, but Ryder just isnt the next superstar, goalscoring freak NHLer. Were talking bout Ryder winning the Richard Trophy for most goals. Not a chance! I don't think Ryder is going to be the next Ovechkin or St.Louis. Heck... Ovechkin could'nt even get 50 this year!! And the only one who will is going to is LECAVALIER and maybe teemu. But heck no... Ryder dosen't have that kind of talent my friend, he only has 49 points this year, and won't get 50 goals within 5 years! Maybe Guillame or Titsy.. but good luck to Ryder and you for your bet ^_^

Sorry man, but Ryder just isnt the next superstar, goalscoring freak NHLer. Were talking bout Ryder winning the Richard Trophy for most goals. Not a chance! I don't think Ryder is going to be the next Ovechkin or St.Louis. Heck... Ovechkin could'nt even get 50 this year!! And the only one who will is going to is LECAVALIER and maybe teemu. But heck no... Ryder dosen't have that kind of talent my friend, he only has 49 points this year, and won't get 50 goals within 5 years! Maybe Guillame or Titsy.. but good luck to Ryder and you for your bet ^_^

Just wondering, but if Selanne were to net 50 this year, would he be the oldest player to do so?

Latendresse is every bit as good a prospect as Richer was at 19, or Lafleur. The game has changed since the days when those two were coming into the NHL. Scoring is way down. I prefer Latendresse, actually, because he is a lot smarter and more mature at his age than either Richer or Lafleur were. Gui is coming into a much more difficult situation as well.

Surely you're not serious? Guy was through the roof as a prospect. And I'm sure he would have adapted just fine to the modern game.

I remember a cousin of mine talking about Guy, saying, "Shame he never really learned to play the game." I said yeah, too bad we dodn't get a chance to see him back-checking instead of...er...oh yeah, right.

I like Latendresse a lot, but not even the same universe as Guy.

The next CURRENT habs to get 50? Nobody.

Edited by tokyohabs

Older Kosty would be our best bet in my opinion, but I don't think we have any guys who can do it. Like a few others have said, we may have a few guys who can score 40 if they continue to improve and live up to their full potential:

Kosty (both probably, but Younger Kosty's still in juniors and you never know until they've at least jumped to AHL), Grabs, Higgs, Ryder, Lats, Perogie

Edited by ShortHanded

I like Latendresse a lot, but not even the same universe as Guy.

Indeed. I like Latendresse a lot, but he doesn't even come close to being in the same category as Guy Lafleur. We're talking about a guy who had over 1350 points in his career. If Latendresse can even give us 60-75 points every year, I'll be extremely happy.

Latendresse is every bit as good a prospect as Richer was at 19, or Lafleur. The game has changed since the days when those two were coming into the NHL. Scoring is way down. I prefer Latendresse, actually, because he is a lot smarter and more mature at his age than either Richer or Lafleur were. Gui is coming into a much more difficult situation as well.

I think that Latendresse and Maxim Lapierre are the two most significant additions to the team since Eric Desjardins and Mathieu Schneider way back when. Probably more so, since Latendresse and Lapierre are both pur laine Quebecois. They complement each other perfectly and will soon become the face of Les Canadiens. The team needs an identity, and rightly or wrongly that identity has to be based on a French Canadian star or two.

You prefer Latendresse to Lafleur????? :o:o:o

Can you join my Fantasy league please? I could use the pocket money. :D

This is the problem with your simplistic analysis. Guy Lafleur was the consensus number 1 pick in the Amatuer Draft and set scoring records that were not broken until Mario Lemiuex came along. Because Lafleur was not in the NHL at 19 and Gui was you are comparing them?

Lafluer was the 70s generations Sydney Crosby, a 2 time Hart trophy winner, 3 time Art Ross Trophy Winner, perrenial All-Star and the best player on arguably the greatest team of all time.

And you are telling me that Lats is just as good a prospect as Lafleur because he has 16 goals in the NHL at 19? Your comparative analysis does not work and THIS IS THE PROOF.

Believe me, I saw Guy Lafluer play and Latendresse will be nowhere near the player that Lafleur was.

To be honest, I cannot even believe that I am even having this comparative discussion :blink:

Edited by Wamsley01

I finally figured it out: you say crazy stuff because you enjoy making people laugh. That is the only possible explanation for anyone thinking Latendresse is better than Guy Lafleur. I guess Saku Koivu is as good as Jean Beliveau since they both cracked the NHL at age 19. I guess Martin St. Louis sucks since he wasn't drafted. Daniel Briere must be horrible since he passed waivers. :wacko:

To be honest, I cannot even believe that I am even having this comparative discussion :blink:

Agreed. I think we should just start ignoring bobby.

Latendresse is every bit as good a prospect as Richer was at 19, or Lafleur. The game has changed since the days when those two were coming into the NHL. Scoring is way down. I prefer Latendresse, actually, because he is a lot smarter and more mature at his age than either Richer or Lafleur were. Gui is coming into a much more difficult situation as well.....

Looked in the dictionary for the word 'flabbergasted..... found these?

PR1812.jpg

shocked.jpg

shocked.jpg

WOW!!!!!! As an old timer - that' kind of a comparison is pure sacrilege.....

(Kind of have to concur with Fanpuck33 on this one)

Edited by beliveau1

I'd be happier to see a team with a bunch of 30g scorers like the Buffalo Sabres, who have 4 (would have been 5 had Afinogenov not been injured).

Edited by sbhatt

I'd be happier to see a team with a bunch of 30g scorers like the Buffalo Sabres, who have 4 (would have been 5 had Afinogenov not been injured).

true. because then when one guy goes down, there's still balanced scoring on the team... I think pessimistically we have a bunch of future 20 goal scorers, and optimistically, we have a bunch of future 30-40 goal scorers.

true. because then when one guy goes down, there's still balanced scoring on the team... I think pessimistically we have a bunch of future 20 goal scorers, and optimistically, we have a bunch of future 30-40 goal scorers.

well this year we have a bunch of 20 goal scorers.

Souray, Ryder 24

Higgins 20

and probably before year's end.

Koivu 19

Latendresse 18