Official UFA Signing Thread

Mr. Nasty

He got a better deal - more years, true 100,000 less on average a year but that is a small price to pay for a no-movement clause.

I know, I'm just disappointed with his whole play on this. 5.4 in year 5 minus $400,000 equals 5 million even. A free agent has the right to do whatever they feel is best for them. Nothing is wrong with that at all. If Souray had signed in Montreal, when he became a free agent he'd probably do no worse than 2 million. Factor in NHL inflation and 2 million in 2012 will probably be peanuts.

Seriously here, the difference between 2 and 5 million is 3 million. The team he supposedly loved for helping him through tough times and his "unfinished business" has come to an end over 3 million - worst case scenario too no doubt. Imagine if he could get 5 as a UFA in 2012? I'm sure BOb could have offered him a NTC for 3 years. He offered him the money he did. He wouldn't make that investment to dump him. Souray could have gotten a reasonable NTC I believe. He simply didn't want to come back. He had no intention of coming back when he left the ice in Toronto.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some people on this board underestimate the value of a NTC to a player; as long as BG refuses to offer a NTC as part of the package to potential UFA signings, he'll keep on striking out time and time again.

He's very close to hometown now after all. I guess the family factor was important and that members of his family will help with the baby when Sheldon and her mother are away. I guess. We can't blame him for his choice. He chose his hometown city, one of the top hockey towns and he got a great offer. Best wishes to him and I hope he'll continue to score goals there. He has been one of the most exciting Habs players to watch in the last decade.

He got a better deal - more years, true 100,000 less on average a year but that is a small price to pay for a no-movement clause.

I know, I'm just disappointed with his whole play on this. 5.4 in year 5 minus $400,000 equals 5 million even. A free agent has the right to do whatever they feel is best for them. Nothing is wrong with that at all. If Souray had signed in Montreal, when he became a free agent he'd probably do no worse than 2 million. Factor in NHL inflation and 2 million in 2012 will probably be peanuts.

Seriously here, the difference between 2 and 5 million is 3 million. The team he supposedly loved for helping him through tough times and his "unfinished business" has come to an end over 3 million - worst case scenario too no doubt. Imagine if he could get 5 as a UFA in 2012? I'm sure BOb could have offered him a NTC for 3 years. He offered him the money he did. He wouldn't make that investment to dump him. Souray could have gotten a reasonable NTC I believe. He simply didn't want to come back. He had no intention of coming back when he left the ice in Toronto.

You are making a very bad assumption in your analysis. You are assuming he had both offers on the table in front of him and picked Edmonton (which based on the extra year, NTC, and lower taxes, would be rational in any case).

The reality is that when he had the habs offer, he was comparing it to what he HOPED to get, what his agent EXPECTED to get, etc. He decided to gamble on a better offer (perhaps even from the habs). Given we gave that to Hamrlik, I am not overly surprised. Once reality set in on what the market would offer, Gainey had already signed Hamrlik. I doubt the offer from the Habs was still on the table. It was gone. So when he got a similar offer, he took it.

His decision is very rational and not anti-Montreal at all. Perhaps he over estimated his worth on the free market, but it was not malicious. He did not lie about wanting to stay in Montreal. If the Habs offer was still on the table with the Edmonton offer, he might have taken it.

You are making a very bad assumption in your analysis. You are assuming he had both offers on the table in front of him and picked Edmonton (which based on the extra year, NTC, and lower taxes, would be rational in any case).

The reality is that when he had the habs offer, he was comparing it to what he HOPED to get, what his agent EXPECTED to get, etc. He decided to gamble on a better offer (perhaps even from the habs). Given we gave that to Hamrlik, I am not overly surprised. Once reality set in on what the market would offer, Gainey had already signed Hamrlik. I doubt the offer from the Habs was still on the table. It was gone. So when he got a similar offer, he took it.

His decision is very rational and not anti-Montreal at all. Perhaps he over estimated his worth on the free market, but it was not malicious. He did not lie about wanting to stay in Montreal. If the Habs offer was still on the table with the Edmonton offer, he might have taken it.

I know. I'm just ticked off tonight. Tomorrow Souray will be on another team and just another Joe Blow in the NHL. I'm just miffed and it staggers me what he was thinking or wanting.

I heard Souray on the radio a couple of hours ago and.. i was disappointed by his attitude. He nonchalently dismissed the Canadiens.

Well then Sheldon.. best of luck to you, and thanks for the 7 years, but be warned. You're not with the Canadiens and therefore not with the "good guys" now. I will mercilessly root against you, as with any other opponent, when you come to Montreal.

I’m heading home to Alberta and I can’t wait to step onto the ice at Rexall Place”, said Souray. “It’s always been a terrific building to play in. I couldn’t be happier with my decision and I can tell you it was an easy one to make. I’m looking forward to playing in Edmonton for a great organization and believe me, I know how good the fans in Edmonton are.”

:puke:

Well one thing I was wrong about was that I tohught Souray wanted to sign with a contender and the Oilers are anything but that. I hope they miss the playoffs for the next 4 years.

The Oilers have made some of the better moves in the end of last season and in the off season.

They will be better than people think.

Nobody can blame Lowe for not working hard.

I explain myself.

First they signed a underrated goalie in Garon, combined to veteran Roloson they have a pretty good duo .

In defense they added Pitkanen, Tarnstrom and Souray. Smid was in the Pronger trade a very good young defenseman,

Greene stay at homeand Staios the captain? are two solid blue liner.

For the Smyth trade they got Alex Plante ( 1 round 15th NYI)

Offense is their weak link but they got some potential there too. Lots of 1 round player and room to grow.

Robby Schremp is a star to come, combined with Hemsky it could make some damage.

Ryan O'marra acquired in the Smyth trade is a solid center with offensive upside.

MArc-Antoine Pouliot was on a line with Crosby in his junior days, lots of potential.

Robert Nillson acquired in the Smyth trade is a good player too.

With good veterans like Torres, Horcroft, Stoll, Pisani, Moreau who were all in the team that made it to the final i dare to say

they gonna surprise a llot of people next year.

"Offense is their weak link" NICE. That's a pretty significant weak link, wouldn't you say?

Anyway, can you imagine how good chanting SOOUU-RAAY, SOOUU-RAAY, SOOUU-RAAY is going to sound at the Bell Centre? Man it's gonna be awesome. I can't wait for his first 1 v. 1 against the likes of Kovy, Kosts and Grabs next season. DANGLE! Too bad the Oil won't be in town this year.

Edited by les_glorieux

Don't look now...but Ribeiro is gonna be paid 2.8M in Dallas.

- It's well deserved. The 3-4 Stars games I watched last year he played well. Very creative player. Too bad he was playing with Kovy here, missmatch...

Oil paid too much and will likely be happy with his leadership and presence on the ice but only time will tell. I wish him the best. But warn him about comments that could bite him in the butt. I agree with ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN; things are better unsaid than expressed in moments of anger and excitement.

GOOD LUCK and GOOD BYE SOUUU RAAAAY. SOUUU RAAY>>

GO HABS GO!

Edited by Chips

I’m heading home to Alberta and I can’t wait to step onto the ice at Rexall Place”, said Souray. “It’s always been a terrific building to play in. I couldn’t be happier with my decision and I can tell you it was an easy one to make. I’m looking forward to playing in Edmonton for a great organization and believe me, I know how good the fans in Edmonton are.”

:puke:

Just sounds like a bunch of politically correct, non-comment, that most athletes make. What did you expect him to say? "I didn't really want to sign in Edmonton but Gainey had already signed a guy for the same money he had offered me so this was the next best thing"...lol...or "if given the choice I'd rather be playing in Montreal...".

Be realistic. He said what would make Edmonton fans happy because it makes his life easier with them and their media. Pretty standard.

Anyway, it is the next day and I don't care about it now. I will say this however....

How stupid are the Bruins? "We cannot afford Joe Thornton but we can afford Chara" :wacko:

Bring on Kevin Lowe "We cannot afford Smitty but we'll get Souray" :wacko:

STUPID

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Anyway, it is the next day and I don't care about it now. I will say this however....

How stupid are the Bruins? "We cannot afford Joe Thornton but we can afford Chara" :wacko:

Bring on Kevin Lowe "We cannot afford Smitty but we'll get Souray" :wacko:

STUPID

Kevin has already stated that he screwed up not signing smyth. And yes it was stoooopid

Oilers will suck this season. They are average in net, weak defensively and weak offensively. They might have a strong powerplay this season and have individual talent but they aren't good enough at any one thing to be legit.

Don't look now...but Ribeiro is gonna be paid 2.8M in Dallas.

From what I understood, it's a 2-year, $2.8M deal - so he'll make 1.4M per season.

This really isn't all that generous of him. Thornton just re-signed at 7.2M and Iginla at 7M and those are guys who are going to be UFA. Crosby is going to be an RFA - he is being paid over market value. This has everything to do with Vanek - they know that Crosby will get insane offer sheets (similar to the one JMMR just suggested) from all angles. It seems Lowe has significantly increased the market for restricted free agents.

Is this a max contract?

Pretty close, the max salary this year is 10.6 mil

Oilers will suck this season. They are average in net, weak defensively and weak offensively. They might have a strong powerplay this season and have individual talent but they aren't good enough at any one thing to be legit.

12th-15th

thats thier potential.