Game Thread | Hurricanes vs. Canadiens | 10/13/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Latendresse remains unimpressive so far this season and i am not sure that he is an upgrade from Kosti on L2.

I've been very impressed with Dandenault up front. Maybe swap he and Kostopolous and let Dandy try to revive some of those former offensive skills from Junior.

Streit had a really tough night out there, juggling the puck, unable to stop it multiple times along the boards or the blueline and just all around looking sort of dazed. Very un-Streit like - hopefully it was just an anomaly.

Huet played great.

And I agree with JMMR's assessment of the first 10 and last twenty minutes but part of the problem is that the stupid and poorly timed penalties have to stop.

I still like this team though and think we'll make noise all year as long as the hardwork remains and the coaching staff allow the inner competition on the team push out the guys that need pushing - I am thinking specifically about Latendresse right now but I'm hopeful that he gets it going. I do think he needs to hit and shoot more. And by push out I just mean sitting or being sent down, not given up on...

Edited by The Saint

Well the Habs played will the first 10 minutes and last 20 when Carbonneau was coaching an offense first team. But the 20 minutes of passive bull shit sucks in the middle.

:clap:

So true. If Carbonneau can't see past the defense-first philosophy he had as a player, then he's not the man to coach this particular team.

Latendresse can't play on the second, especially when Kosti is playing really well with Kovalev (who was awesome)

I don't understand why carbo keeps giving under acheivers chances. They should earn their chances to play

I haven't watched the game. Can someone explain me why AK46 ended the game on the 4th and Lats was promoted on the 2nd?

AK46 finished with 3 shots... what as he done (or not) to be punished?:?-

*stirring pot*

I'm sure it has nothing to do with Gui being French-Canadian and AK46 being Russian.... :o

Latendresse can't play on the second, especially when Kosti is playing really well with Kovalev (who was awesome)

I don't understand why carbo keeps giving under acheivers chances. They should earn their chances to play

I hear what you're saying but I''m sure his philosphy was to try and get Gui going more then a reward. It didn't work, that's all.

I haven't watched the game. Can someone explain me why AK46 ended the game on the 4th and Lats was promoted on the 2nd?

We were down a goal and Carbo took a gamble on trying to get Gui swinging. It's a team game. Juggling lines is a part of it. punishment? I doubt it had anything to do with that.

So... looks like we do better when the other team scores first, eh?

Hey, it's not so bad. We didn't play great but we weren't absolute crap. The offensive style Carbo is going for is exciting. That is a good sign. The Habs ran into possibly the hottest team in the league. They didn't blow us out. Thanks Cristo. The Canes are friggin good......real good and for 65% of the game we held our own.

I'm almost glad we lost. Keeps the boys working to get better. Not like the past few years where we overachieve the first month or so and never get back to winning until the end of the season. We just can't stop working.

I'll have to disagree with you on that one. The habs were dominated, outshot 30-8 after 2 periods is brutal. Only Huet prevented that one from getting out of hand. It's the same old thing, no effort and stupid penalties did them in. The Habs aren't talented enough to have a no show and get points.

So my evaluation of the game is simple:

No work ethic (until Carbo chewed there butts between the second and third).

Dumb penalties, I think only one was in the defensive zone

They just don't play smart example: Higgins and Koivu after a lengthy penalty kill with about 30 seconds left tried to make something happen 2 on 3 instead of getting it deep and changing. That turnover led to the goal 15 seconds later.

Good News:

I saved a bunch of meney by switching to Geico

I'll assume they put a better effort in the next game.

Kostitsyn was breaking into Carolina's zone on the left side, instead of shooting he tried a dump pass backwards which caused a turnover. This may have been the "fancy" play Carbonneau was bleeting about after the game.

Grabovski-Smolinski-Kovalev is a proven line? I dont think so.

Why would you wanna break up our first 2 lines right now? And as for waking up latendresse....maybe he's awake, and this is as good as he gets. He needs more speed or he will never be good in this league.

I didnt mean to literally "dump" Kosto..just from the 3rd line. I think he would be great on the 4th.

We have 4 new forwards this season - might as well have the bottom lines unproven than the top lines. Higgins-Plekanec-Kostitsyn is the best line we can assemble. Then Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder is a line that worked very well last season. The 4th line of Begin-Chipchura-Kostopoulos is as good a fourth line as we'll get for as long as Lapierre is down in the minors (:rolleyes:) so it's just logical to put Grabovski, Smolinski and Kovalev together, not that I think that would be a terrific line, just that those are the leftover guys - but with Kovalev on his game, that line becomes dangerous immediately no mater who his linemates are (and it's not like Grabovski and Smolinski suck or anything). But if I were Carbo, as I've said, I wouldn't use these lines right now - not until Dandenault plays himself off the lineup. Right now, he doesn't deserve to be scratched.

As for Gui, we saw what he can do last season, that's how we know he can be good in this league. He's proven he can score goals while with Koivu and Ryder - sure, it's much better if he can score with other linemates, but if he can't, we may as well put him with who he's good with. The reason why Latendresse is playing and Grabovski is scratched is because Latendresse is proven while Grabovski is a rookie. He needs to gain some confidence and I would definitely give him a game on the top line before scratching him.

I'll have to disagree with you on that one. The habs were dominated, outshot 30-8 after 2 periods is brutal. Only Huet prevented that one from getting out of hand. It's the same old thing, no effort and stupid penalties did them in. The Habs aren't talented enough to have a no show and get points.

So my evaluation of the game is simple:

No work ethic (until Carbo chewed there butts between the second and third).

Dumb penalties, I think only one was in the defensive zone

They just don't play smart example: Higgins and Koivu after a lengthy penalty kill with about 30 seconds left tried to make something happen 2 on 3 instead of getting it deep and changing. That turnover led to the goal 15 seconds later.

Good News:

I saved a bunch of meney by switching to Geico

I'll assume they put a better effort in the next game.

I concur 100 percent. I think people figure because the score was close, the game was fairly even. Not so. Huet was pitching a great game and the bums in front of him wasted it.

Great goaltending can often mask a crap effort and a weak team, but make no mistake, the habs sucked last night.

I have to agree with chris and brobin. Habs were just outclassed against the Canes. Kostopoulos should not even be in the NHL and I am now questioning Ryder if he can play a little better offensively. He is throwing great checks, but to get a new lucrative contract he has to score.

One thing I absolutely love about this habs team is the constant motion of the players now. Only on the power play do they stand around looking confused.

I HATE the Canes and do not like losing to them.

Oh well, next game VICTORY!!!!

I have to agree with chris and brobin. Habs were just outclassed against the Canes. Kostopoulos should not even be in the NHL and I am now questioning Ryder if he can play a little better offensively. He is throwing great checks, but to get a new lucrative contract he has to score.

One thing I absolutely love about this habs team is the constant motion of the players now. Only on the power play do they stand around looking confused.

I HATE the Canes and do not like losing to them.

Oh well, next game VICTORY!!!!

The thing with Ryder is that the problem wit hhim used t obe that all he could do is score and couldn't do anything else. I'm happy with his play so far because he's been throwing good body checks and atleast hasn't looked one-dimensional even if he hasn't been scoring - the goals will come.

Kostopoulos really hasn't been bad just he's being a bit overused and he hasn't got the hands of offensive capabilities to to play on the third line with more offensive-minded players.

I think the next game will be better - I thought they worked pretty hard last night, just no one was on their game so they kept bobbling pucks, missing passes, etc.

The first ten minutes were entertaining.

After that there was penalties after penalties, the Canes have dived into some

Higgins penalty on Wesley was not fair. The cross checking on Martkov by Cullen i think was an intentionnal attempt for injury.

The refs screwed up the Habs rush and the rest is history.

Players worked hard on PK especially Bégin and Chipchura were amazing.

Nobody will question Huet performance the guy stood on his headf for 35 minutes of non stop shooting.

Plekanek and Koivu are the two men that can turn a power play around and they screwd up really bad in the third.

Kovalev didn't show up it's now 3 on 4.

Bouillon played a great game.

Latendresse should be sent down to fourth line or press gallery, he is clueless with the puck, he tried three time dumping and go around defenders and never succeed.

Kostopolos= Murray Bob made some real bad move this summer, maybe they will proove

me wrong later but Smolinski, Lahti, Kostopolos were the worst signing we could have made.

At least Hammer is working for his paycheck defensively he is a block but where is his offensive talent ??

Great game to put people back on earth, we got a hard working stupid team that won't learn

to avoid penalty bench.

I don't quite get these after game posts. I had a gig in Calgary last night so missed the game, but from what I get we lost a game to Carolina( who recently trounced the laughs and handed the Sens a loss,) by 1 goal and an empty netter. Sounds close to me, and by the highlites, we could have easily won, or been beaten worse if not for good saves at both ends. Need to keep out of the box and cut down on shots given. No more stupid hooks while we are already short handed, right captain?

Why do we feel on this site that we have better insite into the abilities of certain players than the coach and gm? I know it is an open form and all, but how many of you actually thought we would start this season 2-1-1? This team will lose games this year, as will all teams, even Ottawa. Let's not be LePresse and get down on the guys so easily. Now if we lose 5 straight or fail to make the dance come April, well that is a different story. As for me, I like what I see so far and have faith in the coach, his staff, and the current management.

As for Lats, he has done nothing that I have seen to desearve bashing from arm chair coaches. Yes he is slow, compared to the speedsters in the league, but not compared to the grinders of the league. Why do so many out there feel that speed is everything? It isn't!! It is only one of many abilities that should be considered when evaluating a hockey player. I know alot of you weren't born in the 70's, but ever hear of Ron Ellis? He was a Leaf that could skate like the wind, flew up and down the ice along the boards passing everyone on the ice. He couldn't carry the puck, shoot, make or recieve a pass, but man could he skate!! By your standards that makes him of more value than say Bob Gainey who couldn't ever catch Ellis on the fly? Once again, I am glad y'all ain't in charge.

Better effort next time

Panthers will pay for this loss

Go Habs Go

johnnyhasbeen:

As much as guys, myself included, hate the 'e' word, it think habs fans are just very passionate and emotional when it comes to their team. It prevents them from seeing rationally at times.

Kostopolous has been pretty bad so far, we would be much better off with a kid from Hamilton.

Kostopoulos has some serious cement hands, he cannot seem to make, or receieve a pass, and he gets dumb penalties. He's not big, he's slow, he doesnt hit hard or often (as say Begin, or even the almost invisble Latendresse), no hands, why is this guy playing over Grabvoski??

Kostopoulos is tanking the 3rd line and Dandenault is killing the 4th, either replace them ASAP or stop giving them so much ice time, cuz only the 1st and 2nd are making anything happen.

Edited by Dirty Harry

Kostopolous has been pretty bad so far, we would be much better off with a kid from Hamilton.

Kostopoulos has some serious cement hands, he cannot seem to make, or receieve a pass, and he gets dumb penalties. He's not big, he's slow, he doesnt hit hard or often (as say Begin, or even the almost invisble Latendresse), no hands, why is this guy playing over Grabvoski??

Kostopoulos is tanking the 3rd line and Dandenault is killing the 4th, either replace them ASAP or stop giving them so much ice time, cuz only the 1st and 2nd are making anything happen.

True. Kostopoulos also missed the best opportunity they had to score the equalizer. Can't believe D'Agostini or Sergei play AHL.

I agree regarding Kosto, but Dandenault has been pretty good on the 4th. He's hitting, he's skating, he's getting shots. He's clearly not an elite forward, but he's getting the job done, especially for a 4th liner. Have we been watching the same player? (Granted, for 1.7$million, he's overpriced for a 4th liner, but if you ignore the cost and look at him as a player, he's ok.)

Edited by Cataclaw

I agree regarding Kosto, but Dandenault has been pretty good on the 4th. He's hitting, he's skating, he's getting shots. He's clearly not an elite forward, but he's getting the job done, especially for a 4th liner. Have we been watching the same player? (Granted, for 1.7$million, he's overpriced for a 4th liner, but if you ignore the cost and look at him as a player, he's ok.)

Yeah...Dandenault hasn't been bad at all in my opinion. He's been decent.

I don't quite get these after game posts. I had a gig in Calgary last night so missed the game, but from what I get we lost a game to Carolina( who recently trounced the laughs and handed the Sens a loss,) by 1 goal and an empty netter. Sounds close to me, and by the highlites, we could have easily won, or been beaten worse if not for good saves at both ends. Need to keep out of the box and cut down on shots given. No more stupid hooks while we are already short handed, right captain?

Why do we feel on this site that we have better insite into the abilities of certain players than the coach and gm? I know it is an open form and all, but how many of you actually thought we would start this season 2-1-1? This team will lose games this year, as will all teams, even Ottawa. Let's not be LePresse and get down on the guys so easily. Now if we lose 5 straight or fail to make the dance come April, well that is a different story. As for me, I like what I see so far and have faith in the coach, his staff, and the current management.

As for Lats, he has done nothing that I have seen to desearve bashing from arm chair coaches. Yes he is slow, compared to the speedsters in the league, but not compared to the grinders of the league. Why do so many out there feel that speed is everything? It isn't!! It is only one of many abilities that should be considered when evaluating a hockey player. I know alot of you weren't born in the 70's, but ever hear of Ron Ellis? He was a Leaf that could skate like the wind, flew up and down the ice along the boards passing everyone on the ice. He couldn't carry the puck, shoot, make or recieve a pass, but man could he skate!! By your standards that makes him of more value than say Bob Gainey who couldn't ever catch Ellis on the fly? Once again, I am glad y'all ain't in charge.

First paragraph: you didn't watch the game, so you can hardly comment. The highlights only show the greatest opportunities of the game, so they're not likely to tell you that the shots were 30-8 after 2 periods. No one is panicking or calling for anyone's head or any trades - but it was a terrible performance and there is no denying that, especially if you didn't even watch.

"I know it is an open form and all, but how many of you actually thought we would start this season 2-1-1?" Hundreds of people - that was probably the most likely outcome possible.

Second paragraph: Once again, no one is calling for anyone's head and this is a thread about this game. Maybe people are happy about the first 4 games in general but are unhappy with this game - which is why they are posting negative comments in the game thread and not the nonexistant season thread.

Third paragraph: Of course, you've seen nothing to bash him for if you haven't been watching the games - you definitely wouldn't have seen him in the highlights. He's been our worst player so far in the first four games and his speed doesn't have much to do with it considering he played well last year while he was just as slow but even heavier. The fact is that he is playing like crap and people have the right to be frustrated with him - I haven't heard anyone say Gainey should trade him or that he should be sent down - just that he is playing like crap, which is true, as you would know, if you watched the games.

Why keep bringing up "arm chair coaches"? Everyone on this board is an arm chair coach, so if you're not going to pay any attention to what anyone says solely because they aren't professionals, why visit these boards?

There is always someone who tries to look intelligent by calling every negative comment a knee-jerk reaction and hoping their comments will be called "a breath of fresh air". :rolleyes: Maybe, just maybe, things are not 100% terrific and there are both positive and negative things to discuss like the production of our 20 year old third line winger. The funny thing is that I'm probably one of the most positive posters on this site and am convinced we're winning the Cup next season yet I have to remind you this.