Have we finally arrived or are we playing over our heads?

REV-G

Yes we've arrived. It's reasonable to say that because we have a strong young core that is still improving. Several of these players made the quantum leap this year (Komisarek, Plekanec, Gorges), but who will make it next year? Latendresse? Andrei Kostitsyn (he made a big jump this year, but there's a lot more in him)? Sergei Kostitsyn (same as as his brother)? Guys like Markov and Higgins are still on the upswing as well. We also have a great prospects pool. This team is on the verge of being a powerhouse for several years.

But I'm also on the side of the cautious people. We were fortunate this year by being relatively injury-free. Plus, there was no one for real in the East this year. Those are the two main reasons that we're at the top of our division. Next year we can expect Boston to be better and less injured, same with Buffalo, Ottawa to maybe get their shit together, same with the Rangers, Pittsburgh's young stars to continue to improve, Florida and Washington to be on the rise... And maybe we won't be so lucky with injuries. There's no guarantee that we'll have home-ice going into the playoffs again, not by a long shot.

But yes, we've arrived.

The division was handed to the Habs this season. 105 points by the Sens would have dropped the Habs down to 4th.

Seeing as the Sens went to the Finals last season and have not finished with less than 102 points since 2002 it was not

something that anybody could fortell. So I understand that the Habs could be better next year, finish with more points and not win the division.

I am OK with that.

But this team is just scratching the surface of their potential.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Price, well I have been massaging his groin for 10 months now.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Thanks for the worse mental image I have had in years...

:puke: :puke: :puke:

I sure hope that is just your fantasy, because I would hate to think Price needs you in his cup to be successful. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The division was handed to the Habs this season. 105 points by the Sens would have dropped the Habs down to 4th.

Seeing as the Sens went to the Finals last season and have not finished with less than 102 points since 2002 it was not

something that anybody could fortell. So I understand that the Habs could be better next year, finish with more points and not win the division.

I am OK with that.

But this team is just scratching the surface of their potential.

I agree completely. I don't think the Habs need to win the division next year either. They just need to be contenders and not have the playoffs in doubt until the last game of the season.

Edited by brobin

Other than that we have depth on net, d and wings.

To be honest, we don't have that depth anymore.

From Hockeysfuture.com, 5 of our top 20 prospects have graduated permanently to the big team (Price, Halak, O'Byrne, Grabovski and mini Kostitsyn). Given that it takes years to develop (especially when we're drafting outside of the top five picks, or less, depending on the draft), a whole chunk of graduates in one year is a big hit to our depth.

Chipchura will probably get to the big club next season, and guys like Carle and D'Agostini aren't too far behind, but will most likely fall off the depth chart when Fischer/McDonagh and Maxwell work their way up.

With all that added up, our high ranking on Hockeys Future, let alone our overall depth, will take a few years to replenish itself.

With one game left in the regular season we can now accurately say that our Canadiens have arrived, at least for this year. In order to really "arrive", like Detroit, they need to repeat next year the success they've had this year. But for this year the number and results have to be surprising to most people. Number one in their division; tied and fighting for first in the conference; 2nd most goals scored in NHL [as of Thursday night Ottawa's 8 goal outburst against Toronto edged them ahead by 1]; their PK improving; best PP in the NHL and I believe the 2nd youngest team in the NHL.

Their veterans have improved over last year, obviously Kovalev, but that includes almost all the forwards. They've now had some key injuries, Koivu and Komisarek, but they seem to have the depth to fill the holes, at least short term, and still play well. Besides the forwards that have been consistantly scroing all year, the line of Steve Bégin, Smolinski and Tom Kostopoulos is getting changes and scoring and making life diffiuclt for whoever they're playing against.

Incredibly Mark Streit has become a very valuable player this year. Besides being one of the quarterback on the PP he is also the 3d leading scorer on the team.

The young guys have continued to step up up. Josh Gorges has emerged as a steady defenceman and after playing 61 games is even in the plus-minus. Ryan O'Byrne seems to be getting steadier and the coaches seem to have more confidence in him every game.

Carey Price has done what we all hoped he would after Huet was traded. He has been steady and even spectacular at times. I think he's going to continue to play amazing through the play-offs.

I think Guy Carbonneau has improved and done an incredible job this year along with his coaching staff. People are now adding his name to the coach of the year candidates. There were times this year the team didn't show up, as all teams do, but I get the impression there is a solid plan that the players have bought into and they look like they are well coached.

With Gainey stocking the shelves with young players I really believe we've arrived and the future is nothing but incredibly bright.

Good post REV-G. I agree with most of what you said.

The Future of this team is indeed very bright!

I can'T wait for this summer to see who will stay with teh Habs and who will be let go.

My guess is that we can expect to say bye to Brisebois, Smolinski, Ryder and I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs bought out Dandy's contract.

From Hockeysfuture.com, 5 of our top 20 prospects have graduated permanently to the big team (Price, Halak, O'Byrne, Grabovski and mini Kostitsyn). Given that it takes years to develop (especially when we're drafting outside of the top five picks, or less, depending on the draft), a whole chunk of graduates in one year is a big hit to our depth.

Chipchura will probably get to the big club next season, and guys like Carle and D'Agostini aren't too far behind, but will most likely fall off the depth chart when Fischer/McDonagh and Maxwell work their way up.

With all that added up, our high ranking on Hockeys Future, let alone our overall depth, will take a few years to replenish itself.

I think I disagree for this one reason. Gainey probably anticipated the Canadiens climb from mediocrity to above average, and I would guess that even he is surprised at how they have done this year. Anticipating a lower draft postion I believe he has substantially improved his scouting department knowing that they will need to pick even better in order to find the hidden gems when they draft later in each round. Teams like Detroit and others have drafted lower but have still been very effective in drafting great young players. So with the success and improvement of our scouting department I think we will still see some very good prospects. Also years ago Sam Pollock used to package a young player or two with a veteran and get first round picks. Granted today first round picks are more prized, but some teams [Toronto] have been quite eager to part with them.

I firmly believe however that you have not "arrived" until you have done it more then one year, you have fought through diversity, and you are feared. I think we are partially there, but not all the way.

this is a hockey thread, not a place for a discussion of affirmative action!

First off Hockey's Future ain't no thang.

2nd of all, our depth is now on D, which we didn't have just 2 years ago. Carle & Valentenko are leading the new wave followed by McDonagh, Subban, Weber, Fisher. That's 6 future NHL D-men right there. That's depth, great depth at a critical position.

D'Agostini will replace Ryder next year. And Chipchura will replace Smolinski. That still leaves Grabovski, Maxwell, Pacioretty, White and all the other forwards prospects we have on the outside.

We have arrived. We ARE the new New Jersey Devils, or Colorado Avalanche, or even Detroit Red Wings - one of those teams that will be in the top ranks of the league year after year. There's too much young talent here for it to be otherwise, and Price looks like the franchise goalie everyone said he'd be. We're back, all right! Get used to it.

If some people are still unsure if the team is for real or not, we won't have to wait long to find out.

The worst possible scenario has happened with Ottawa as our first round matchup.

Although is isn't set in stone yet (Boston could lose the last game and then we would play the Broons) but there isn't a team in the East that wants to play Ottawa right away.

This matchup will tell us exactly how far we go.

If some people are still unsure if the team is for real or not, we won't have to wait long to find out.

The worst possible scenario has happened with Ottawa as our first round matchup.

Although is isn't set in stone yet (Boston could lose the last game and then we would play the Broons) but there isn't a team in the East that wants to play Ottawa right away.

This matchup will tell us exactly how far we go.

Ottawa has no goaltending, traded their best defensman (Korvo) who moves the puck out of their end and an offense without Fisher and Alfie. A defense Montreal can skate rings around and Sens just suck this year.

Ottawa does not scare me.

Ottawa has no goaltending, traded their best defensman (Korvo) who moves the puck out of their end and an offense without Fisher and Alfie. A defense Montreal can skate rings around and Sens just suck this year.

Ottawa does not scare me.

Ottawa is better then they have been playing and even with injuries have our number.

Also, I don't buy the whole "without Alfie and Fisher for weeks" line.

Ottawa doesn't scare me at all neither. Don't see how they could be our "worst possible scenario". Just what InsaneHabs said... and now they're weaker than ever without Alfredsson and Fisher. Martin Lapointe on the 1st line and Shean Donovan on the 2nd line - what more could you ask for. Sens were a one line team before Alfie and Fisher went out - now they are very fragile. Throw in the crappy goaltending, shaky defense (thanks Commodore!) and I have no problem meeting them in the 1st round.

Everyone wants to play Boston and I would have agreed a week or so ago - that is until Begin broke a bone in Marc Savard's back with that crosscheck. Because of that you just know that the Bruin goons (Chara and Reich) would be hellbent on headhunting our skill guys. We don't need that.

Ottawa or Philly are the teams I want to play 1st round.