15 years already?

KoZed

So crazy.......That cup run video led me to a bunch of Kovalev videos. That guy is so so so so friggin good and talented. Can someone please explain to me why he is not more dominant in this league. The shit he pulls off is just insane, why are is numbers not reflective of that.......

Don't mean to hijack the thread.......but wow!!!!!!

this cup as a special meaning for me since my grandma( a habs fan) died that morning.

a friend of mine has the final game on tape..still gives me shivers.

I still get goosebumps everytime I hear Bob Cole say: "... and now a 24th Stanley Cup banner will hang from the rafters of the Famous Forum in Montreal. THe Canadiens win the Stanley Cup!"

Goosebumps every single time!

15 years already?

Let's just hope it won't go all the way to 20 years!!!

this cup as a special meaning for me since my grandma( a habs fan) died that morning.

I feel for you! It also has a special meaning for me as well, although it's nowhere nearly as important as it must be for you. But I spent my LAST day of high school on Ste-Catherine street watching the Stanley Cup Parade Actually, 2/3 of my graduating class that year was on Ste-Catherine street. WE all decided to skip school that day!. It was the best school day of my life! :clap:;):D

Edited by Habsfan

Bah, I don't remember it. I didn't care about the Habs at all back then, I was excited about the Jays winning the World Series.

This current team is the one I'm excited about, I follow it more closely and know more about each player than any other sports team in my life. These are guys that I'm watching develop, and I'm hoping they'll achieve some great things.

I am getting tired of reminiscing about that Cup win. It will always be a great moment in my life

but the fact that it was 15 years ago makes me not only feel old, but it makes me ill thinking about it.

I am getting tired of reminiscing about that Cup win. It will always be a great moment in my life

but the fact that it was 15 years ago makes me not only feel old, but it makes me ill thinking about it.

Same here. But now that the Riders won the Grey Cup I at least have one recent championship to fondly remember from my two favourite teams.

Now its' the Habs' turn. :hlogo:

At least we can be happy about the fact that we've got 3 links to that last Cup: Carbo, Muller and Brisebois.

And remembering that 93 Cup can also give us hope that we can win without being the top team. It can also serve as a benchmark for the current team.

The 93 team was pretty balanced without being great at anything. They had one good scoring line (Damphousse-Muller-Bellows), a good checking line (Brunet-Carbo-Keane), some decent depth scoring (Lebeau, Dionne, Savard) and a bunch of young guys (DiPietro, Ronan, Brisebois, Hill, Haller). The D was underrated and said to be not physical except for Odelein. But they were good muck movers (Desjardins, Schneider, Daigneault).

The X factor was definitely Roy. And another thing that might have been a factor in the team's incredible cohesion was that there was 14 Quebec-born players on the playoff roster (more than half the team). That's something you might never see again.

And another thing that might have been a factor in the team's incredible cohesion was that there was 14 Quebec-born players on the playoff roster (more than half the team). That's something you might never see again.

Careful there! You might be called a racist with that kind of talk! ;)

the fact that it was 15 years ago makes me not only feel old

Join the club. I'll be 32 in March and the fact that they last won when I was in High School(well, it was my last day of school!) makes me cringe!

At least we can be happy about the fact that we've got 3 links to that last Cup: Carbo, Muller and Brisebois.

And remembering that 93 Cup can also give us hope that we can win without being the top team. It can also serve as a benchmark for the current team.

The 93 team was pretty balanced without being great at anything. They had one good scoring line (Damphousse-Muller-Bellows), a good checking line (Brunet-Carbo-Keane), some decent depth scoring (Lebeau, Dionne, Savard) and a bunch of young guys (DiPietro, Ronan, Brisebois, Hill, Haller). The D was underrated and said to be not physical except for Odelein. But they were good muck movers (Desjardins, Schneider, Daigneault).

The X factor was definitely Roy. And another thing that might have been a factor in the team's incredible cohesion was that there was 14 Quebec-born players on the playoff roster (more than half the team). That's something you might never see again.

Well as habs fans we have plenty of unexpected playoff success to keep us optimistic.

Dryden in 71 taking the Habs to the Cup.

Penney in 84 taking the Habs to the brink of the Finals before losing a 2-0 lead to the Isles.

Roy in 86 taking the Habs to the Cup.

Roy in 93 taking the Habs to the Cup.

Amazing when you look at that how pessimistic habs fans are.

Dryden in 71 taking the Habs to the Cup.

Penney in 84 taking the Habs to the brink of the Finals before losing a 2-0 lead to the Isles.

Roy in 86 taking the Habs to the Cup.

Roy in 93 taking the Habs to the Cup.

Funny how it's ALWAYS the goalie who can make the difference...never a forward!

That's why I'm still a little "iffy" about Huet. The Frenchman has been good for the Habs, but he does have a tendancy to choke in important games or moments. Maybe this is the year that Huet will prove me wrong(I sure hope so!) If not, then we'll have to wait for Price to bring us to the promised land.

Would you guys be willing to give Huet a 4 year 16 to 20 million$ deal? Cause that is what it'll most probably take to re-sign Christobal!

Edited by Habsfan

That's why I'm still a little "iffy" about Huet. The Frenchman has been good for the Habs, but he does have a tendancy to choke in important games or moments. Maybe this is the year that Huet will prove me wrong(I sure hope so!) If not, then we'll have to wait for Price to bring us to the promised land.

Would you guys be willing to give Huet a 4 year 16 to 20 million$ deal? Cause that is what it'll most probably take to re-sign Christobal!

nope, i would not

neither would I. Call me crazy and I know we're sick of waiting for our prospects to develop, but I would either sign a cheap vet as a back up or go with Price and Halak next year and risk it... It may screw us next year, but the year after, they'll have experience and they'll be good...

Since I don't have a "cristol-ball" to predict the future, ask me again after the playoffs ;)

Edited by JMMR

Well I do believe that we need a good veteran for when Price is up but we also dont need to overpay a veteran goalie. Maybe they will look elsewhere if Huet asks for too much.

I don't think there will be a huge bidding war for Huet in this off-season. He's not that big of an upgrade over the average goalie, and thus not worth shelling out the big long term deal for. Plus, lots of places have young guys that they'd like to develop just like we do here, so it wouldn't be that big of an upgrade for him to go there. A four year deal for him is unacceptable in my opinion, but three years is doable. Of course, one or two years would be ideal, but I doubt he'd accept that. So maybe three years 10-12 million or thereabouts.

The only team that could use Huet and to who BOb felt OK in dealing to would be Colorado. The chances of that are slim. Huet's trade value sucks. Scan the NHL and all teams. Unless they deal him in the next week, who is going to want him?

Huet in a lot of ways is today's Hackett. I'm not talking style but rather simple SV% versus GAA for a goalie as those numbers apply to the NHL leaders. Huet is floating in the high percentiles in both year after year. I remember Khabibulin finishing second in SV% behind Theodore in 2002. Fast forward 2 years later and Khabibulin is a champion. Like Khabibulin and Hackett, Huet is todays example of the high rated goalie. Can Huet win a playoff round? Two rounds? That remains to be seen. At the end of the day, some desperate GM during the UFA season is going to want Huet. The Bryzgalov signing is on average $4.25 a year.

Do we honestly think that Huet won't command the equivalent of that on the open market? He's going to be difficult to sign and do the Canadiens really want to invest that on next years cap? They could easily decide to bring in another UFA goalie who is cheaper.

Or maybe this team is Price's next year. I'm not going to worry if we lose the asset. It's the new NHL. The best Brian Burke could do to deal with his crowded house was to get Weight for this run and throw away an excellent player who was struggling. And everyone will be angry with Gainey that he didn't deal the asset and get something back.

Bring out the knives. If Gainey lets Huet walk he won't deserve the condemnation IMO.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

The Bryzgalov signing is on average $4.25 a year.

Do we honestly think that Huet won't command the equivalent of that on the open market?

I agree. If Bryzgalov is worth 4.25 million$, HUet is worth at least 4.5 million per year. once again he's in the top 5 for Save % and in the top 10 for GAA.

Ideally, i'd like to sign him to a 2 year 8 million$ contract, but I doubt he'd accept that!

My guess is that Bob is gonna wait and see what Huet does in teh playoffs. If he's solid and can even manage to steal a few games for the Habs, Bob might just sign him.

Bryzgalov is younger and less injury prone, which has a lot to do with his contract. However, a similar annual salary should be expected for Huet.

Here's our non-Huet options:

1) Halak and Price.

2) Sign a UFA goalie... here's the rest of the list: Theodore (yeah right), Hedberg (ATL likes him, probably will re-sign), Kölzig (not leaving WSH), Ellis (why not just play Danis, he was #1 in Hamilton and had Ellis as his backup in 2005), Holmqvist, Aubin, Valiquette, Conklin, Thibault, Cujo, Belfour, Hasek... nothing too appealing when all is said and done. The only option I'd take from that list is Hedberg if he became available.

3) Trade for a veteran goalie on the outs. Here's a couple options which are at least interesting: Khabibulin (high salary, but UFA in 2009 so it'd just be a one year hit), Roloson (also 1 year left), Fernandez (1 year), Cloutier (just kidding), Denis (yeah right)... A couple of interesting options there. Khabibulin would be part of the Russian group and who knows maybe rebounds in this environment. If we don't try and land any big name UFA's his contract is doable. Roloson is a decent alternative.

Bryzgalov is younger and less injury prone, which has a lot to do with his contract. However, a similar annual salary should be expected for Huet.

Here's our non-Huet options:

1) Halak and Price.

2) Sign a UFA goalie... here's the rest of the list: Theodore (yeah right), Hedberg (ATL likes him, probably will re-sign), Kölzig (not leaving WSH), Ellis (why not just play Danis, he was #1 in Hamilton and had Ellis as his backup in 2005), Holmqvist, Aubin, Valiquette, Conklin, Thibault, Cujo, Belfour, Hasek... nothing too appealing when all is said and done. The only option I'd take from that list is Hedberg if he became available.

3) Trade for a veteran goalie on the outs. Here's a couple options which are at least interesting: Khabibulin (high salary, but UFA in 2009 so it'd just be a one year hit), Roloson (also 1 year left), Fernandez (1 year), Cloutier (just kidding), Denis (yeah right)... A couple of interesting options there. Khabibulin would be part of the Russian group and who knows maybe rebounds in this environment. If we don't try and land any big name UFA's his contract is doable. Roloson is a decent alternative.

We could go and get Lalime as well. All we need is a veteren who just needs to push Price but allow Price to play the Majority of the games. We then could let that Vet goalie walk at the end of the season and have Halak back up a Price who would have an entire season to his credit. Then Halak would be able to push Price because Halak will want #1 because he is still young.