Will a Trade make the Habs a legitimate 2008

HabsWEST

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some questions some of us Habs Fans in T.O ask. We need answers from you guys closer to the aura in Montreal.

1. What does it really say when you need to put 2 defencemen on your forward lines?

2. Why is Gainey so slow to react to obvious needs. Ottawa (like they need it more than us!) and Corey Stillman?

3. Speed - are we really that fast as we keep hearing from pundits? Latrendesse, Smolinski, Brisbebois, Kovalev, Koivu?

4. We know the Kovalev line is hot, but at what cost? No secondary scoring. Why not try Higgins on left wing and the Kostitsyn brothers with Koivu? Wouldn't they try to have fun playing together and be more creative? May even get Koivu going and then we'd have 2 solid lines? Maybe get Higgins going consistently even.

5. What do you think happens in the playoffs with the team the way it is? Why not trade for leadership? Kovalev can lead, but we need leadership for the games in which we look beaten, like against the NYR, Ottawa, Toronto, etc., a leader who makes the guys believe in themselves. The Habs came to within 1 point of the conference lead and then we hit everyones radar. CBC, TSN, etc started showing games since superbowl weekend. What happened? We go on National TV and oops! Not so good eh? Enough of being embarassed like that? It's not lack of talent, it's the RIGHT leadership at the RIGHT time.

6. Why does Carbo never verbally inspire/motivate his guys behind the bench? When they are losing or it's tight, he never talks to them or gets excitement going on the bench. Why does he always have that smug, nose in the air look?

OK, that's enough questions for now.

Here are some questions some of us Habs Fans in T.O ask. We need answers from you guys closer to the aura in Montreal.

1. What does it really say when you need to put 2 defencemen on your forward lines?

2. Why is Gainey so slow to react to obvious needs. Ottawa (like they need it more than us!) and Corey Stillman?

3. Speed - are we really that fast as we keep hearing from pundits? Latrendesse, Smolinski, Brisbebois, Kovalev, Koivu?

4. We know the Kovalev line is hot, but at what cost? No secondary scoring. Why not try Higgins on left wing and the Kostitsyn brothers with Koivu? Wouldn't they try to have fun playing together and be more creative? May even get Koivu going and then we'd have 2 solid lines? Maybe get Higgins going consistently even.

5. What do you think happens in the playoffs with the team the way it is? Why not trade for leadership? Kovalev can lead, but we need leadership for the games in which we look beaten, like against the NYR, Ottawa, Toronto, etc., a leader who makes the guys believe in themselves. The Habs came to within 1 point of the conference lead and then we hit everyones radar. CBC, TSN, etc started showing games since superbowl weekend. What happened? We go on National TV and oops! Not so good eh? Enough of being embarassed like that? It's not lack of talent, it's the RIGHT leadership at the RIGHT time.

6. Why does Carbo never verbally inspire/motivate his guys behind the bench? When they are losing or it's tight, he never talks to them or gets excitement going on the bench. Why does he always have that smug, nose in the air look?

1. It says that Dandenault is not good enough to crack our D (and at the moment, not good enough to make our forward lines either) and that Streit is very versatile so when we want to play both O'byrne and Brisebois (don't ask me why we would), we could move Streit to forward. It's a good thing, not a bad thing.

2. He's just a patient guy. He's only going to trade guys who are slumping, he would never deal someone who is playing well even if it is for a better player. He is just very careful about team chemistry and stuff like that so when the team is winning, he does not want to make any big moves.

3. It's not about how fast every single one of our individual players is, but we move the puck from from end to another as fast as any other team in the league. It's all about the breakout pass by the defencemen.

4. This is another case of not meddling with the only line that's going well. We've got one of the to plines in the league, we might as just hope the other lines fix themselves on their own without having to break up our top line. If we start playing around with line combinations we might have 0 productive lines instead of 1, and who knows if the chemistry will ever come back if we try our current lines again.

5. I agree - I expect Gainey to bring in a character player at the deadline. More specifically one who can take faceoffs. Even more specifically, Chris Gratton.

6. Carbo's a guy with a lot of pride, he doesn't like to look like he's in trouble. He isn't the type to wallow in self-pity, he'll just do his job behind the bench and let the players play their own game. Besides, Guy seems to be a pretty calm guy. Emotional, but calm - I don't think he likes to raise his voice.

Gainey is a conservative GM, he's not irrational, therefore he's not going to sell the farm for a one time only deal.

And he should not. Gainey knows what he is doing. He will make the right decisiomns.

1. Umm... is this not obvious? Those players aren't good enough on D to be in the top 6, but they are still good enough to play forward. They've been doing fine in the forward position.

2.Maybe his 'slowness' got us to where we are today, with a great group of young talented guys.

3.We're fast, but we're also a great passing team, which speeds up our game even more. We're among the fastest teams in the league.

4.Uh yeah, some more line juggling always solves every problem. :rolleyes: Might as well stick with a hot line, the notion that that is 'costing' us secondary scoring is ridiculous. Besides, Koivu's coming around and he'll start putting up some points.

5.You are impatient. We're still not an elite team, and we're not going to win the conference. You can't just 'trade for leadership' without giving up something of value (our young guys), so it's not worth it with a team that's still on the rise. Every team lets some games get away from them. I like the group of leaders that we have right now: Kovalev, Koivu, Higgins, Komisarek. We're in good shape.

6.So do you have a camera trained on Carbo throughout the whole game? It must suck to miss all the action, but I guess it's worth it. Seriously, constantly yelling at the players doesn't work, they'll tune you out. Him and his staff have done a good job with this team so far.

I got a question. Since when did Corey Stillman become some stud?

:clap: He has really ordinary numbers. And didn't he have like 15 goals after 20 games or something? He now has a whopping 21. Let's not forget that this veteran Stanley Cup champion was benched by Carolina in the finals.

It's definitely not worth selling the farm for a Cup run this year, but anyways I think the team we have has the potential to be dangerous in the playoffs. I remember two years ago, I thought we had no chance against Carolina, but we really gave them a run for their money and could've beat them if a few plays went differently. Our team is better now.

It's definitely not worth selling the farm for a Cup run this year, but anyways I think the team we have has the potential to be dangerous in the playoffs. I remember two years ago, I thought we had no chance against Carolina, but we really gave them a run for their money and could've beat them if a few plays went differently. Our team is better now.

to me this team feels like the team from two years ago which would of gone far.

to me this team feels like the team from two years ago which would of gone far.

Where the hell did you come from?

:P

Answer 1: It creates the option to have Streit or Dandy if one of our defencemen go down in a game. Even if 2 go down there is depth. It's a nice luxury to have and not too many teams have this option.

Answer 2: Because IMO, Gainey isn't dumb like Murray. I have NO FAITH at all in that guy and I'm very happy he isn't part of our org. If you ask me, it's his fault we stole Frank Jay, head scout from Ottawa. He had a fued with Murray. I'll go further and state that Muckler had Ottawa on the right track. But that's another story (where's Preissing?). :wacko: What Murray did doesn't necessarily impress me so much. They're dumping a young player and a lesser D than Commodore in favour of difficult players to sign this summer. Commodore and Stillman are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents on July 1. Redden is going to get away because he can't be traded. They also say (rumours/reporters) that Murray may not be done trading. He's looking for one more winger apparently. Hossa? Is Forsberg coming? Who knows. What I do know is that the Sens for Murray's sake had better win it all. Also, it's not February 26th yet. Any contending teams out there could pull a blockbuster because they were more patient. Just imagine if New Jersey acquired Hossa and defeated the Sens with Forsberg. It's possible. Philadelphia?

BOb might just be able to sneak out a trade that we'll love. BOb will not hurt the team for a quick fix, he's more likely to walk away and keep what we alreadty have. We can help other teams with a trade that won't hurt us too bad. BOb will only secure something that is low risk in a trade. Sometimes a trade and especially the wrong one can mess up a locker room and create dissent.

BO is "Mr. Insurance". :clap: His 1st year he filled the Bulldogs with good attitude veterans who played with rookies. They helped train the rooks which is always good policy. Montreal had good minor league vets to fill injury holes that year. As it turned out the main roster didn't need the help really but it was comforting to know it was there. Year after year he is shifting players and making excellent depth decisions. Smolinski is a disappointment to some but he is a playoff veteran. In spite of BOb's mistakes, Smoke is another example of depth.

This is why he has Brisebois too. Gainey knows Breezy isn't the answer but ath the end of the day we might need him to play some D and get us some points. He's there to help with 82 games. He's cheap. He's probably not going to be part of the lineup in the playoffs. Hamrlik is out. Gainey could have spent 3 million on an equal D compared to Breezy. Yeah, that'd be great in helping our cap absorb a Hossa contract - NOT :lol:

Answer 3 and 4: I understand that the Kostitsyn's are separated. I wish they weren't but it's a good coaching decision IMO. These 2 are dynamite together. The longer they stay apart the more they will learn not to play together. Both Kostitsyn's are less likely to play with Higgins, Koivu, Kovalev and others if they are together. Carbo is instilling the training to have them play apart. What happens if they don't teach this and one gets injured? It's also good to have the rookie playing with other lines and getting to know them and have fun. It's good to build relationships. The last thing I want is for them to end up in a brother cliche, isolated from the team. Right now it's anything but. The room is happy. They love these brothers. They will play together soon. Maybe playoffs.

Speed is a concern with some of those players but we have enough speed to make a run at the Challenge Cup!

Answer 5: When the Bleu, Blanc et Rouge get in the playoffs, I don't care what mismatch it is. The Canadiens turn it up a super notch! I'll never forget 2002 when game 3 started against Boston. The fans were super charged. It's not often that while watching a game on TV that you can feel how supercharged it is. That was one of those times. Boston looked weary, like they wanted to leave. We may not win but Montreal has a gift many teams don't in that way. Throughout history with our good and bad teams.

Answer 6: I believe Carbo is just analyzing. He's watching the play for errors and breaking down enemy strategy and working on ours. He knows. When BOb coached, Carbo was talking to the players. He also was telling Gainey about strategy. BOb was quiet in general.

Today it's Muller who is doing that. I love the fact that we have Capt. Kirk.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

I got a question. Since when did Corey Stillman become some stud?

Stillman somehow elevates his game in the playoffs. he's been a key element to the lightning and hurricanes wins.

having stanley cup experience is priceless and teams tend to overpay for them. however, the deal the sens did could go down as a steal if they win it all.

more I think about it more I like it

if we only go for ONE player this trade deadline why not go for one that will wanna stay longer than just a few weeks, But where is the question.

Dan Boyle... can we afford to have 4 top 3 dmen in one team? but better still what a difference it would be for us if we could afford that Boyle... and if we do get him and nobody else, and make it to the playoffs.. I would be certain that UFA (forwards) will be knockin on our door to fill one or more lines!

and the other thing would Koivu be ready to play on a third line if need be????

more I think about it more I like it

if we only go for ONE player this trade deadline why not go for one that will wanna stay longer than just a few weeks, But where is the question.

Dan Boyle... can we afford to have 4 top 3 dmen in one team? but better still what a difference it would be for us if we could afford that Boyle... and if we do get him and nobody else, and make it to the playoffs.. I would be certain that UFA (forwards) will be knockin on our door to fill one or more lines!

and the other thing would Koivu be ready to play on a third line if need be????

hasb get Boyle and we have the best defense in the east bar none.

hasb get Boyle and we have the best defense in the east bar none.

with all the prospects coming in on D, the last I would want is to sign a guy long term for huge money. In fact, I wouldn't mind at all if gainey didn't sign any UFA next summer( except ours).

with all the prospects coming in on D, the last I would want is to sign a guy long term for huge money. In fact, I wouldn't mind at all if gainey didn't sign any UFA next summer( except ours).

I agree. That is what the Leafs did. Then they could not find ice team for all their Minor League D-men (not that they were any good).

But if you are going to essentially lock up 20+M in your top 4 two of McDonagh, O'Byrne, Emelin and Valentenko will most likely be

1. Traded or 2. Not develop properly.

I think I would rather have the top 3 they have, keep around Gorges/Cube and see which ones they can develop on the cheap.

It is not wise to acquire high priced talent in areas of organizational strength. It would be much better spent on re-upping you own

talent and acquiring top end talent where there are organizational deficincies.

Detroit would be better as well just becuase they have Nik, Chirs and Brian Ottawa no.

Maybe Detroit's defense would be better for the simple fact that they have Lidstrom, the best D-man of his era. But I'd rate a top 4 of Markov, Komisarek, Hamrlik and Boyle better than Detroit's. Markov and Boyle are offensive defenders on the level of Rafalski if not better, and the same goes for Hamrlik and Komisarek in comparison to Chelios.

Maybe Detroit's defense would be better for the simple fact that they have Lidstrom, the best D-man of his era. But I'd rate a top 4 of Markov, Komisarek, Hamrlik and Boyle better than Detroit's. Markov and Boyle are offensive defenders on the level of Rafalski if not better, and the same goes for Hamrlik and Komisarek in comparison to Chelios.

Chelios only plays on their third pairing now though. They've got Kronwall up on their top pairing as far as I know. I can't think of who they've got with Rafalski though, I know it isn't Lebda.

Back to the OP's question:

I think this is a very difficult problem. Most replies so far have taken the point of view that we shouldn't sell the farm for a quick fix.

Of course this is true. But ... right now we are one of the top teams in the league. Winning the cup this year is not such a stretch, especially

with a couple of additions to our lineup. Making no big trades is the safe and conservative approach. The problem is that we don't really know for

sure that we will be better next year. Of course we all expect that but maybe Kovalev will slip back, maybe we will have a bad year for injuries, many things could go wrong.

Any year a team is in the top 5 they have a legitimate shot at the cup. Maybe we should take a shot now - strike while the iron is hot.

My point is that I don't think it is so clear that we should stand pat. I put my trust in Gainey.

Back to the OP's question:

I think this is a very difficult problem. Most replies so far have taken the point of view that we shouldn't sell the farm for a quick fix.

Of course this is true. But ... right now we are one of the top teams in the league. Winning the cup this year is not such a stretch, especially

with a couple of additions to our lineup. Making no big trades is the safe and conservative approach. The problem is that we don't really know for

sure that we will be better next year. Of course we all expect that but maybe Kovalev will slip back, maybe we will have a bad year for injuries, many things could go wrong.

Any year a team is in the top 5 they have a legitimate shot at the cup. Maybe we should take a shot now - strike while the iron is hot.

My point is that I don't think it is so clear that we should stand pat. I put my trust in Gainey.

First of all, I don't put the Habs in the top 5 in the league. Second, it's a safe bet that young players will continue to improve. They may not all do so at the same pace, and they could have an off-year. But they could also make a big leap forward, like Komisarek this year. Of course 'maybe things could go wrong,' but it's way more likely that things go wrong in these playoffs if we put all our bets on it. Maybe we shouldn't stand pat completely, but IMO the conservative approach is definitely the way to go right now.

First of all, I don't put the Habs in the top 5 in the league. Second, it's a safe bet that young players will continue to improve. They may not all do so at the same pace, and they could have an off-year. But they could also make a big leap forward, like Komisarek this year. Of course 'maybe things could go wrong,' but it's way more likely that things go wrong in these playoffs if we put all our bets on it. Maybe we shouldn't stand pat completely, but IMO the conservative approach is definitely the way to go right now.

While we may not be among the best 5 teams in the league, only 1 team from the west will make it to the cup final. In the east there is only 1 team significantly better than us, the Senators. Even that is debatable - they have one of the league's worst records since the midpoint of the season.

I agree that we may safely expect our young player to continue their improvement but other teams will also improve. I probably agree that the conservative route si the way to go but there is risk there too.

Edited by Peter Puck

Okay well which 5 teams are better than the Canadiens.

I would say

Sens

Ducks

Wings

Devils

I truly believe the Habs could beat any other team in a seven game series.