Game Thread | Habs vs. Senators | 24/03/08

Cataclaw

I hope Halak starts the next game. Price let in 3 bad ones. Very worrysome.

Also, would like to know if Guy told em to coast, or did the team just do that on their own? Some killer instinct would be nice.

Who cares, at least he got them out of the way in a VICTORY.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, we won and clinched...the bitching is comical...boo hoo hoo, the 2nd place team in our division got ripped by their coach/gm after the 2nd and came out hungry in the 3rd. Man some of you guys love to bitch :rolleyes:

I really don't think you get it: this game could have been so much more than simply a win over the Sens. But now, it's just a win...no more than that.

I hope Halak starts the next game. Price let in 3 bad ones. Very worrysome.

Also, would like to know if Guy told em to coast, or did the team just do that on their own? Some killer instinct would be nice.

Simmer down. Price has been good when it counts and I think will continue to do so. If not, we'll put in Halak. More worrisome to me would be going into the playoffs with Gerber and Emery in net!

I really don't think you get it: this game could have been so much more than simply a win over the Sens. But now, it's just a win...no more than that.

Ya, one of us clearly doesn't get it...relax, have a beer, enjoy the win...leave the in depth psychological analysis for the team psychologist...some games this board is like a rest home for frustrated unemployed sports writers :rolleyes:

Despite the third period let down, let's keep this in perspective guys:

1) Win

2) Two points

3) 2-goal lead and 7 goals scored, PP explosive

4) Clinched playoffs

5) Beat division rival in a 4-point game

I can stomach a rough 3rd period when you consider the above! :hlogo:

Edited by Cataclaw

1) Win

2) Two points

3) 2-goal lead over the Sens

4) Clinched playoffs

5) Beat division rival

You win first prize in the "He Gets It" derby...nicely put!

I agree, showcase Halak so we can get a good RFA offer for him this summer.

I want to bring Theo back as a back-up goalie :D

And Bonk, and Audette, and Czerkawski.

Oh, I miss the good old days.

This third period really hurt my sanity. I wonder if Carbo will sleep well tonight?

I agree, showcase Halak so we can get a good RFA offer for him this summer.

I want to bring Theo back as a back-up goalie :D

And Bonk, and Audette, and Czerkawski.

Oh, I miss the good old days.

This third period really hurt my sanity. I wonder if Carbo will sleep well tonight?

Now that we've clinched it may actually be a good idea to give Halak 2 or 3 games to make sure Price is fresh for a long playoff run :lol: I'd welcome Theo back but there's a better chance of me being the backup next year than Theo ^_^

1) Win

2) Two points

3) 2-goal lead and 7 goals scored, PP explosive

4) Clinched playoffs

5) Beat division rival in a 4-point game

Although I agree with all the aforementioned points, it's just frustrating that this could have been so much more. But really, the Habs have bounced back from bad performances before, so there's no reason to think that we won't again. Especially since it was only one period. Plus.... there's those 5 points you mentioned... :D

When was the last time we clinched this early? I had hoped we would clinch before my birthday (the 26th) and this is a GREAT birthday present. :D

That third period definitely gives the Sens more confidence, but it may not be negative for our team. Blowouts tend to give teams inflated images of themselves, and that brought us back to Earth. Plus, the team that gets blown out often comes back with a fire in their belly the next game, so maybe they'll feel like they have less to prove next time they play us.

I'm not saying any of this will happen, but these psychological interpretations are just as likely as yours. In the end, a win is a win. We had a three goal period and a four goal period, but we gave up a four goal period as well.

You know who's a useless pylon? Commodore. He got schooled by Smolinski of all people, and Streit as well. Bryan had good moments and bad ones, but he seems to at least care now. Price wasn't his best, he made good saves but was weak on some goals; good thing he picked a seven goal outing for us for that to happen.

So now we've got a seven point lead in the division. Ottawa will likely be putting out Gerber against Brodeur. That third period was forgettable, but man did we dominate our division rivals, the team that has had our number, in a key game for playoff positioning. I was laughing with glee.

Although I agree with all the aforementioned points, it's just frustrating that this could have been so much more. But really, the Habs have bounced back from bad performances before, so there's no reason to think that we won't again. Especially since it was only one period. Plus.... there's those 5 points you mentioned... :D

Actually, blowouts of top teams often end up being partially discounted as aberrations. "Sure, they killed the Sens 8-0 on March 24, but obviously that was just 'one of those nights' for the Sens." The important thing is that the Habs have established that they are capable of dominating the Sens. Next time, we will be facing them as equals, not as psyched-out whipping boys. AND we reinforced deep doubts among the Ottawa players themselves about their own goalies, to say nothing of what must be dancing in Gerber's brain right about now (remember what we did to him in the Carolina series? :lol: ) That goes a long way.

Beyond that, I like a team that is defensively aware and not overconfident. The third period collapse will give Carbo plenty of ammo to keep insisting on the necessity of a responsible defensive team game, and the indispensability of hard work.

They won the game, they clinched a spot who cares what happened in the 3rd.

Price does not need to be pulled, the team hung him out to dry and they got 3 goals.

One was kicked by Pleks, one was from behind the net. What is the big deal?

He actually made some huge saves when it was 7-4

At least we are now complaining about how we won games now.

Price has not been that bad. The fact is he was playing alone in the 3rd. Our defensemen were not mobile and the forwards weren't helping either. Very bad collective play IMO.

Having said that, I would not be surprised to see Halak in the net for one or two of the next five games, just to make sure he gets some ice time before the playoffs.

JCPetit

What a brutal way to finish a statement game. They have another game against these guys and they just set them up to kill us in the next game, instead of destroying their confidence...

Terrible.. and a big FU to the refs...

I could easily argue that it goes the other way. We score a goal or two in the third and make it 9-1 and the Sens are just pissed off for our next game, out looking for revenge. This way the Sens can feel decent about themselves again and might be less angry and vengeful the next time we play them.

I could easily argue that it goes the other way. We score a goal or two in the third and make it 9-1 and the Sens are just pissed off for our next game, out looking for revenge. This way the Sens can feel decent about themselves again and might be less angry and vengeful the next time we play them.

True, they didn't need to score more, but they also didn't need to collapse like that. Something in between would have been nice. ;)

This is how I see it; or at least, this scenario is just as likely as us losing our confidence and belief in ourselves.