Koivu out 4-6 weeks

JMMR

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly...

Habs will most likely bring up a bunch of kids once the AHL season is over, for experience if anything. Chipchura is the most likely guy who has a chance of actually playing.

Dunno who else might get called up. Can't break the team's "bubble" neither. I think Chipchura, maybe Locke/Milroy, Ferland, D'Agostini. Maybe Côté. Valentenko could make the Russia team for the WC.

Whoa, we don't need the whole team up here, cluttering up the locker room and press box. Chips is enough, maybe one more guy if we suffer other injuries, but otherwise we stick with who's already here.

Firstly, I dont think Koivu will miss that much time.

Secondly, of course we can get by without him....but not all the way. If we thought we could go to the cup final (why not, battling for 1st in the east), then we better have him back sooner than later. He's no longer the best player, or even top 3, but he's huge for depth and leadership. We dont want everyone focusing on one line.

We'll be fine for a short period of time, but need him back for the 2nd round IMO (though I think he'll be back in the 1st..)

The thing that Koivu is still the best on our team at is faceoffs, and that happens to be a major weakness for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info MMPL, but I think all of us pretty much expected Saku to miss the first 2 games of this series...maybe more.

Actually we don't need him.

Higgins is doing a heck of a job as a second centermen, using his speed and good defense coverage.

His line scored the first goal.

It's not a matter of needing him or not. He's our captain, it would be great to have him back. I'm sure most of the team feels that too.

Actually we don't need him.

Higgins is doing a heck of a job as a second centermen, using his speed and good defense coverage.

His line scored the first goal.

It's a good point...ever since Gainey (then coach - and what a coach) started using Higgins as Koivu's winger, people have been worried that returning Higgins to C would disrupt his development. But based on one measly game, it's at least worth speculating over whether a move to C might actually help his development. Maybe he has enough experience under his belt that he no longer needs the safety net Koivu represented, and maybe he's ready to add another dimension to his game.

If so, that could mean that our (or my) lingering anxieties over how we'll replace an aging Koivu as 2nd-line C might be pointless. Maybe Higgins could do it, assuming that Grabovski will never be the answer. Certainly a Pleks-Higs middle doesn't sound too bad.

Time will tell.

It's a good point...ever since Gainey (then coach - and what a coach) started using Higgins as Koivu's winger, people have been worried that returning Higgins to C would disrupt his development. But based on one measly game, it's at least worth speculating over whether a move to C might actually help his development. Maybe he has enough experience under his belt that he no longer needs the safety net Koivu represented, and maybe he's ready to add another dimension to his game.

If so, that could mean that our (or my) lingering anxieties over how we'll replace an aging Koivu as 2nd-line C might be pointless. Maybe Higgins could do it, assuming that Grabovski will never be the answer. Certainly a Pleks-Higs middle doesn't sound too bad.

Time will tell.

I agree but if you look at Higgins' qualities, he seems much more suited to the wing, than at C. I'm not suggesting we should move him, while he's doing a good job replacing Koivu - but I don't see Higgins sticking at centre for the long-term. I think the goal is to maybe trade up this year (to around 10-15th) and nab a potential 1st line centre. That would give us a pipeline of Plekanec-1st rounder-Chipchura and Fortier/White/Maxwell/Grabovski/Aubin/Lapierre. More than enough depth.

This year, we've shown (and continue to show) that we won't be in so much trouble when Koivu retires, as you've been fearing for a long time now. We still need to find a long-term replacement, but at the very least, we know that we can win hockey games without him. Though maybe now we should start having the same worries with Kovalev? If he retires or leaves after his contract expires, who'll replace him? D'agostini? Latendresse? Sergei Kostitsyn?

I agree but if you look at Higgins' qualities, he seems much more suited to the wing, than at C. I'm not suggesting we should move him, while he's doing a good job replacing Koivu - but I don't see Higgins sticking at centre for the long-term. I think the goal is to maybe trade up this year (to around 10-15th) and nab a potential 1st line centre. That would give us a pipeline of Plekanec-1st rounder-Chipchura and Fortier/White/Maxwell/Grabovski/Aubin/Lapierre. More than enough depth.

This year, we've shown (and continue to show) that we won't be in so much trouble when Koivu retires, as you've been fearing for a long time now. We still need to find a long-term replacement, but at the very least, we know that we can win hockey games without him. Though maybe now we should start having the same worries with Kovalev? If he retires or leaves after his contract expires, who'll replace him? D'agostini? Latendresse? Sergei Kostitsyn?

Good points.

I've wondered the same thing about Kovalev. One or the other Kostytsins might be ready to replace him as a star-calibre 1st-line winger by then. And don't forget the possibility of a trade or signing a UFA like Hossa for that purpose.

Good points.

I've wondered the same thing about Kovalev. One or the other Kostytsins might be ready to replace him as a star-calibre 1st-line winger by then. And don't forget the possibility of a trade or signing a UFA like Hossa for that purpose.

I think signing a UFA is the most likely scenario. We won't be able to get a 1st line player at both C and RW, and we haven't got anyone else coming through the system. So we'll probably have to draft one and sign the other.

This team is only a player or two away from being a perennial contender. As a matter of fact, they are already probably a perennial contender, but we need one or two more young players to secure that status.

However, when all is said and done, having Price in his prime will be like what the Devils have got in Brodeur - a guaranteed shot at the Cup (and a free pass to the playoffs) every single year. So it will no longer be as much of an issue to have the top forward core in the league.

I think signing a UFA is the most likely scenario. We won't be able to get a 1st line player at both C and RW, and we haven't got anyone else coming through the system. So we'll probably have to draft one and sign the other.

This team is only a player or two away from being a perennial contender. As a matter of fact, they are already probably a perennial contender, but we need one or two more young players to secure that status.

However, when all is said and done, having Price in his prime will be like what the Devils have got in Brodeur - a guaranteed shot at the Cup (and a free pass to the playoffs) every single year. So it will no longer be as much of an issue to have the top forward core in the league.

Since Price seems so guarenteed to be that kind of goalie, of course BTH is right. Like Luongo almost had Vancouver in the playoffs and look at their forwards. Take into account their 2nd line centre was out almost all season and their strength is D where they have one of the highest total of man games lost this year.

You guys are almost assured playoff action for years to come.

Edited by Captain_Stealth

I will have to admit that the future does seem to look very bright for the Habs. Many young talents at various positions. How good they will be only time will tell. Even when Koivu is done and some of the other veterans leave, there are ample youngsters chomping at the bit.

Price in goal. Halak also.

On defense, Markov still has many years along with Komi. Hammy still has 3 more years on his contract. Gorges and OB. Younsters like McDonnaugh, Emelin, Valentenko, Subban, maybe Fischer.

On forward most of the younsters are on the club now, but look for Chips, Paxioretty, to go along with the Kostitsyn's, Higgins, Lats, Laps, Pleks. Even Kovy may have 4-5 good years left.

I mighta missed some, but future does look bright.

Exactly...

Habs will most likely bring up a bunch of kids once the AHL season is over, for experience if anything. Chipchura is the most likely guy who has a chance of actually playing.

Dunno who else might get called up. Can't break the team's "bubble" neither. I think Chipchura, maybe Locke/Milroy, Ferland, D'Agostini. Maybe Côté. Valentenko could make the Russia team for the WC.

Whoa, we don't need the whole team up here, cluttering up the locker room and press box. Chips is enough, maybe one more guy if we suffer other injuries, but otherwise we stick with who's already here.

^_^^_^^_^

Isn't it great to have some good depth as people are thinking Carbo will have problems on who to sit if and when Koivu and Bouillon are ready to play.

For Koivu, most likely it would be Dandy or Lats sitting, as Streit has earned the right to dress and is needed on the PP unit, even with his struggles so far.

As for the Cube, unless he is 100% health i would not put him in the lineup as he is only the Habs #5 or #6 dman. Maybe inserted for O'byrne or Breezer, but not with the way Breezer has stepped it up so far. I could see him replacing OB, then the pairings would be Marky-Komi, Hammy-Breezer, and Gorges-Bouillon. That is fairly solid.

Isn't it great to have some good depth as people are thinking Carbo will have problems on who to sit if and when Koivu and Bouillon are ready to play.

For Koivu, most likely it would be Dandy or Lats sitting, as Streit has earned the right to dress and is needed on the PP unit, even with his struggles so far.

As for the Cube, unless he is 100% health i would not put him in the lineup as he is only the Habs #5 or #6 dman. Maybe inserted for O'byrne or Breezer, but not with the way Breezer has stepped it up so far. I could see him replacing OB, then the pairings would be Marky-Komi, Hammy-Breezer, and Gorges-Bouillon. That is fairly solid.

Gorges has actually had a rough time out there so far, He's been getting smacked around pretty good.

Wow a trade on Koivu has no message in the last two pages that medical miracles

works again for him. Please merge on a Brisebois thread. Focus on the good news.

If needed he would play the last two games against the Bruins.

He will be ready for round 2. He will be VERY useful againt the Rags or Philly.

These two teams are in for dog fights, we have seen in the Boston serie that a player

like Koivu that works better in the traffic is needed. I have said he was not needed against the Bruins,

the results 3-1 and 4-1 tonight may make this true but he would be very valuable in heavy traffic situation.

The determination off ice is as tough as on ice, the guy faced adversity before we will need him.