Game Thread | Boston Bruins vs. Canadiens de Montréal | 04/12/08

KoZed

I would love to see Stewart get a shot in the playoffs. He strikes me as someone with lots of grit and heart, plus maybe a little offense considering what we saw in that Leafs game. But on the other hand, using Dandy and Brisebois makes sense against the Bruins since they are probably faster and shiftier than Stewart and O'Byrne respectively. Speed is the key to this series. If we just try to be tough, we'll be falling into the Bruins' hands.

The only way Stewart sees the ice is if somebody gets hurt or their looking for a momentum change.

They guy looked great against Toronto, but he has 1 game of NHL experience. What does it say to your veterans

when you bump them for a kid who has proved absolutely nothing?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone forgetting that Stewart is probably faster than, if not as fast as, Dandenault?

And after watching a few Bruins going after Komisarek's hip (and probably soon Bouillion's and Koivu's skates, when they return), I want someone out there who'll take them on, and possibly, win.

Dandenault is useful in that he's a F/D. He's not very good at either, but it's useful. That's how he helped Bowman with all those cups.

However, we have that in Streit as well, who's arguably better at both positions. So we don't need to keep two dual F/Ds on our roster when the odds of losing one are small enough as it is.

Seriously, look at Dandy's stats. He's usually a minus player in the playoffs, and has only played in every game of his team's Stanley-Cup runs once. He's better in the regular season than the playoffs, and I just don't want to see us get hurt because the Boston sized up the odds of causing an injury vs. having to deal with Dandenault, and liked their odds.

Is anyone forgetting that Stewart is probably faster than, if not as fast as, Dandenault?

And after watching a few Bruins going after Komisarek's hip (and probably soon Bouillion's and Koivu's skates, when they return), I want someone out there who'll take them on, and possibly, win.

Dandenault is useful in that he's a F/D. He's not very good at either, but it's useful. That's how he helped Bowman with all those cups.

However, we have that in Streit as well, who's arguably better at both positions. So we don't need to keep two dual F/Ds on our roster when the odds of losing one are small enough as it is.

Seriously, look at Dandy's stats. He's usually a minus player in the playoffs, and has only played in every game of his team's Stanley-Cup runs once. He's better in the regular season than the playoffs, and I just don't want to see us get hurt because the Boston sized up the odds of causing an injury vs. having to deal with Dandenault, and liked their odds.

Talk to me about a proven commodity replacing Dandenault. Not a guy who you hadn't heard of 10 days ago.

Dandenault has been a respected member of this team for years. You do not treat players like that because a kid had one strong NHL game.

Chemistry is just as important on a Cup run.

As far as speed, who cares. Why do you need an untested Lamborghini to beat a VW Bug when a proven Porsche will do?

Talk to me about a proven commodity replacing Dandenault. Not a guy who you hadn't heard of 10 days ago.

Dandenault has been a respected member of this team for years. You do not treat players like that because a kid had one strong NHL game.

As far as speed, who cares. Why do you need an untested Lamborghini to beat a VW Bug when a proven Porsche will do?

Respected? Unlikely.

He was appreciated, sure, but he got his fair share of abuse for doing things wrong. He sat out with injuries for a quarter of the season, and I did not hear anyone saying, "boy, I hope Dandenault is back soon!". Higgins, Koivu, Kovalev - they're respected. Even Bouillion or Latendresse have some respect. But Dandenault hasn't done anything worthy of recognition or respect. He was just lucky to be on Bowman's squad a few times.

He's a depth player, and does his job adequately. But in my opinion, there are others who could do his job just as well, and bring something else. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not saying replace Dandenault with Stewart permanently. But next game, when the Bruins figure out, "hey, we got beat up last game. But we're supposed to be the goons. Something's not right here...", they'll come a rockin', and I don't trust Dandenault to be a knockin'. Stewart could at least pair off, and hey, he might surprise you.

Re: speed - it's Dandenault's greatest weapon. Without it, he has neither a fearsome shot, big bulk, fighting prowess, great (nay, good) playmaking abilities, or a level of fear. At least scrappers get some respect, even if they are only 6'2 and 21 years old.

I don't believe I missed this game. I was travelling from Boston to Athens. It's bad enough I had to be in Beantown a week early, but I also found out that my cousin has box seats for Tuesday's game and he's driving down from Montreal (one of the perks of working for TD Bank).

Anyway, Game 2 is by far the most important game of the series. Win it, and ur two wins away from clinching. Lose, and ur back at square one.

By the way, mark my words, but the time we're done with the playoffs, the city of Montreal will have a major love affair with :wub: Tom Kostopoulos. :wub:

:clap: GO HABS GO :clap:

kosto speaks french? never knew that! how is he?

Respected? Unlikely.

He was appreciated, sure, but he got his fair share of abuse for doing things wrong. He sat out with injuries for a quarter of the season, and I did not hear anyone saying, "boy, I hope Dandenault is back soon!". Higgins, Koivu, Kovalev - they're respected. Even Bouillion or Latendresse have some respect. But Dandenault hasn't done anything worthy of recognition or respect. He was just lucky to be on Bowman's squad a few times.

He's a depth player, and does his job adequately. But in my opinion, there are others who could do his job just as well, and bring something else. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not saying replace Dandenault with Stewart permanently. But next game, when the Bruins figure out, "hey, we got beat up last game. But we're supposed to be the goons. Something's not right here...", they'll come a rockin', and I don't trust Dandenault to be a knockin'. Stewart could at least pair off, and hey, he might surprise you.

Re: speed - it's Dandenault's greatest weapon. Without it, he has neither a fearsome shot, big bulk, fighting prowess, great (nay, good) playmaking abilities, or a level of fear. At least scrappers get some respect, even if they are only 6'2 and 21 years old.

You know the respect level in the dressing room?

Why do the Habs need a guy who can fight when they have not needed one all season? Why do they need to make changes to a lineup that

won game one handily? Why remove a guy who had 3 goals and an assist and is a +1 against them this season?

What has been identified that they need to beat Boston? I think the fact that they have won 12 straight that they have done a pretty good job

of identifying what they need to win.

I don't really think tossing in an inexperienced rookie in Grabs or Stewart is going to make the Canadiens significantly better.

Until Dandenault does something that warrants a removal I don't think it makes sense to replace a guy who can drop back to D should an injury arise

with mulitple Stanley Cups for a soft speedy forward or a kid who played 1 NHL game with nothing on the line.

Why do the Habs need a guy who can fight when they have not needed one all season? Why do they need to make changes to a lineup that

won game one handily? Why remove a guy who had 3 goals and an assist and is a +1 against them this season?

What has been identified that they need to beat Boston? I think the fact that they have won 12 straight that they have done a pretty good job

I don't really think tossing in an inexperienced rookie in Grabs or Stewart is going to make the Canadiens significantly better.

Until Dandenault does something that warrants a removal I don't think it makes sense to replace a guy who can drop back to D should an injury arise

with mulitple Stanley Cups for a soft speedy forward or a kid who played 1 NHL game with nothing on the line.

Seconded!

I'm not a Dandenault fan but his versatility comes in handy now. He can play forward on the 4th line and be ready to take a spot on defense if Komisarek runs into troubles with his hip... or if something unfortunate happens to another defenseman. It's nice to have that kind of versatility from a line-up spot which is normally reserved for an untalented goon.

Ole ole ole .... anyone here was on La Gauchetiere rd last night after the game ... only one game and it's already CRAZY!!

Ole ole ole .... anyone here was on La Gauchetiere rd last night after the game ... only one game and it's already CRAZY!!

I was there.

See the guy with the 2007-2008 Stanley Cup Banner?

I was there.

See the guy with the 2007-2008 Stanley Cup Banner?

i think i saw about 20 banner with the "cup" as theme lol ... so maybe yes i did lol

Does anyone know what the name or version and what album that "The Streets Have No Name" that was played pregame last night comes from? Is it a live or alternate U2 version? Is it a cover?

I believe it was played by the in house band.

His french?? Well it's pretty rough. But I respect him for trying.

It's more like franglais, but yeah, it's nice to see him try. I live in Quebec and learned French at school since kindergarden and if I were a pro hockey player in Montreal, I wouldn't be willing to take interviews (atleast not press conferences) in French.

I have about as much knowledge of the respect level in the dressing room as you. In calling to sub in Stewart for Dandenault, I'm speaking as a fan, and many fans have expressed a desire to see Stewart again, but I haven't seen any posts (bar one) saying, "wow, Dandenault is essential to this team. He is irreplaceable, yada yada". I'm sure a poll of random fans would see them side with giving Stewart a shot in game two, over someone like Dandenault.

Chances are, if Stewart had played all 5 games in lieu of Dandenault against the Bs this season, he'd have just as many points. Begin, for example, had three points against the Bs. Latendresse, in the limited ice time he receives, had two points. In the numerous routs of the Bruins, it's fair to say that most players padded their stats. Dandenault still had a shocking +/- at the end of the season, and for his position on the grinder/defensive line, that's not good enough.

Re: identifying, I'm not talking about beating Boston, we have that down fine. I'm concerned that we are more susceptible to injuries by angered, head-hunting Bruins when we have Dandenault than when we have Stewart. He's not Laraque, but he could bring all that Dandenault does, and probably more.

Edit:

And re: speed, that's Dandenault's greatest strength. If he didn't have that, he'd never have made it to the NHL. I was referencing it because that's his greatest strength, if not his only one, and I'd rather use a 2008 Lamborghini than a 1960 Mustang convertible if the former has something additional to offer.

Like seat warmers.

Edited by TheAussiePosse

Great Post Wamsley :clap::clap:

Also, nice Pics Rafikz and Cap. Stealth :clap::clap:

:ghg: