Breezy Comments on Crosby....

brobin

Did anyone catch what breezy said about Crosby? They were asking players about the Crosby / Ovie battles in the last game and a few made some innuendo about Crosby... Breezy just comes out and says...

" Maybe its time for Crosby to grow up... I mean the kid is so good, maybe show it on the ice and do a little less talking" (going from memory here...)

First.. I hope he is that blunt in our room, since that is a great message for all players..

Second.. It just confirms what most have heard for a while, that Crosby, while a great player, is such a yappy whiner that most vets struggle to respect him. I bet if you took a poll, 80% of NHL players would rather have Ovie on their team...

I'm sure Breezy isn't afraid to speak his mind. Why not, with all he's been through? To whom need he defer?

As for Crosby, I understand the aggravation at his whininess (it's noteworthy that Gretzky was often accused of the same thing; Mario too). But I find it interesting that he seems to have been overshadowed this year by Ovechkin, when in fact Crosby has more points on the season, on a crappier team to boot. The pendulum seems to have swung from hyper-praising Crosby to knocking him and also downplaying his talent somewhat. Ovechkin/Crosby, it's like choosing between The Bealtes and the Stones - for God's sake, just enjoy them both.

(A lot of people - media commentators in particular - love Ovechkin's demonstrativeness. We all do, but it's worth remembering that it's a short jump from that, to the kind of infantile, vulgar trash-talking and callow egotistical BS that characterizes leagues like the NBA. So I'm not sure I like the 'Ovechkin' model all that much better than the Crosby 'whiny baby' model. As players, though, they are both stupendous).

Well, I have to say that I prefer Crosby's behaviour to Ovechkin's. This has a lot to do with my watching the Pens vs the Capitals this past weekend.

The Capitals beat the Pens badly. This meant the Pens were very frustrated. In my view Crosby responded by leading by example - working hard and not letting the Capitals push him around. On the other hand Ovechkin took the opportunity to rub his team's dominance in the Pens faces. That is fine but it only made the Pens work harder. I also have to wonder what will happen with Ovechkin when the Capitals (who are awesome now) begin to slide in a few years.

Crosby is a diver, that's what drives most people crazy about him. He can say what he wants but he does get special treatment, he speared that guy in the groin not long ago, no suspension. If that would have been LAraque he would have been gone a few games.

Crosby just needs to stop whinning, stop diving and if he is going to dish it out, he better be able to take it.

A little off-topic, but I think retaining Breezy was probably one of Bob's best and underrated moves of the last two years. He's a better defender than he ever was, enjoys Montreal, can pass the puck, actually has a decent shot, and best of all, he's become something of a leadership character - who's won the Cup.

I'm sure Breezy isn't afraid to speak his mind. Why not, with all he's been through? To whom need he defer?

As for Crosby, I understand the aggravation at his whininess (it's noteworthy that Gretzky was often accused of the same thing; Mario too). But I find it interesting that he seems to have been overshadowed this year by Ovechkin, when in fact Crosby has more points on the season, on a crappier team to boot. The pendulum seems to have swung from hyper-praising Crosby to knocking him and also downplaying his talent somewhat. Ovechkin/Crosby, it's like choosing between The Bealtes and the Stones - for God's sake, just enjoy them both.

(A lot of people - media commentators in particular - love Ovechkin's demonstrativeness. We all do, but it's worth remembering that it's a short jump from that, to the kind of infantile, vulgar trash-talking and callow egotistical BS that characterizes leagues like the NBA. So I'm not sure I like the 'Ovechkin' model all that much better than the Crosby 'whiny baby' model. As players, though, they are both stupendous).

Meanwhile, Malkin is easily winning the scoring race and it's STILL a Crosby v. Ovechkin debate. :wacko:

Crosby and Ovie have been virtually identical in terms of points the past 2 years, Crosby's injury last year prevented him from challenging Ovie for the scoring title (he was on pace for 111 points to Alex's 112) and this year they're both on pace for 106 (and Ovie missed a couple more games than Sid) so they're pretty much dead even all things considered. One's a goal scorer, the other's a passer.

I saw Breeze's comments, and I also saw Tom Kostopolous'... he said it was good to see them battle on the ice, but he wished they didn't spill it over into the media afterwards. Good on him for that.

Yeah, it really should be Ovechkin vs. Malkin. Crosby is easily in third place in my opinion. Both Malkin and Ovechkin are more complete players.

- Malkin and Ovechkin are both a couple steps ahead of Crosby in goal scoring.

- When it comes to passing, Malkin and Crosby are on the same level. Ovechkin is a step or two behind, but I think part of that is his shot is so good he doesn't have to pass a lot. He's put up 45+ assists every year, despite taking 400+ shots a year. I don't think 60 assists would be out of the question if he wasn't a gunner, he is a good passer.

- Defensively, Malkin and Ovechkin was again have a big edge over Crosby. Malkin is a league leader in take-aways and Ovechkin is one of the biggest hitters in the game. Crosby...

- For intangibles, Ovechkin wins out. His love for the game and his enthusiasm is unmatched in hockey. Crosby is a whiner. I don't know about Malkin for this category.

Everybody has to remember that Crosby is two years younger than Ovechkin and a full year younger than Malkin.

People have been hyping Crosby for years and the unrealistic expectations that he could break Gretzky's records.

NOBODY IS GOING TO BREAK GRETZKY'S RECORDS. Outside of a ridiculous rule change his mark's are untouchable.

Sooner or later the media will try to tear Ovechkin and Malkin down. It is what they do.

Lemieux was a floater, Lemieux showed no heart, Lemieux could succeed in the regular season but not in the playoffs.

They all shut their mouth when he dominated the Cup Final in 1991 and 1992.

Look at what the media was saying about Tavares 4 months ago. They picked apart every flaw in his game and began

to ignore the things he did well.

Edited by Wamsley01

For the record, all three are awesome hockey players and I would take any of them on the habs. :)

That said, I don't give any slack to Crosby on his age. Ovie was his age once and he still didn't yap or dive.

That Ovie goal against the habs was a classic example of why I love Ovie.. he was tripped, yet going down he didn't waste energy trying to sell it.. his only focus was scoring. Crosby would have been rolling around like he was shot and then complaining if he didn't get a penalty shot. :)

I think Malkin is really coming into his own right now and as he learns the language, he is showing what a great personality he has too. Pittsburgh is so lucky to have both of them.. can you imagine Ovie and Malkin on the same team? Some of Gretzky's records would be falling. :)

A little off-topic, but I think retaining Breezy was probably one of Bob's best and underrated moves of the last two years. He's a better defender than he ever was, enjoys Montreal, can pass the puck, actually has a decent shot, and best of all, he's become something of a leadership character - who's won the Cup.

Hee hee...well, good luck convincing people around here, but I for one agree with you. He was also our best $&^$!! defenceman in last year's playoffs. Obviously he's a 5th-6th D-man at this stage, but he's still excellent when not over-used. Good call.

Breezy is right

I don't know if you watched highlights of Red Wings - Penguins (they played a few weeks ago)

Crosby went after 2 grown up Red Wings, and they set the record straight with him; Crosby looked like he was sh...... in his pants. :clap:

I disagree that he's "better now than ever". He was overplayed and miscast as a top d-man on some bad Montreal teams, he was really a top 4 guy in his prime whose strength was the PP. He had some good seasons for us, and I think in 2003-04 he had one of his strongest, playing about 20 minutes a night with Markov, Rivet, and Souray playing a little more than he was (he was the team's #4).

But I agree with CC's point that he was our best defender in last year's playoffs... but that says as much about the other guy's performance as it does about Breezer. We have needed Patrice these past couple of years more than we could've anticipated.

That being said, I hope we don't need him again next year, but that's more hope in bringing in some new blood (be it young guys or a UFA) to the blueline than a knock on Patrice. It'd be nice if he got involved with the organization in some capacity after his retirement. No one knows the ups and downs of playing in Montreal better than him, particuarily as a Francophone.

Nice to see our boys come out with teh 2 points...and it,s even nicer to see Halak get the SO!

Hopefully we can win our two games this week-end!