Habs In/Out Playoffs

bar

I thought it'd be interesting if we could have a topic, to see who believes the habs will make the dance or not, no discussions. Maybe we can wager something funny, like siggys.

They are for sure going to be in the playoffs.

Playoff Bound

Bar

The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Psycing

JoeLassister

Hitting The Links Early

Chris

rafikz

Edited by bar

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blissfully out. No more listening to whining and complaints as I get to go solely to the HWL boards. And play golf. Wonderful, relaxing, non-complaining golf.

IN :hlogo: .....KEEP THE FAITH....

GO HABS GO..

if the fans dont have faith why would the team give a F**k, you bad mouth players all the time no leadership , no heart and when we hit trouble waters, you guys are the first to jump off the bandwagon..at the beginning of the season most of you said the team could win the cup and now most of you think we dont have a shot at the playoff....the season is not over, so go to F**k bed tonight and ask the hockey Gods to forgive you for being weak and lets cheer this team and every player that wear the :hlogo: into the playoffs...

GO HABS GO

I went through a phase of deep depression about this team, a phase which reached its nadir with the Devils game. Now I've basically decided to have blind faith that this nightmare will end. Rather than give up on the team, or Gainey, or the whole damned rebuild, I'm approaching the second half up to this point as just a really long, catastrophically dramatic slump. Teams DO get out of slumps. But, contrary media chatter about some win that serves as a magical 'turning point,' it usually works by baby steps. E.g.:

-Players that were desperately struggling start to recover their games: we see this happening with Pleks and Price and maybe Kovalev.

-Injured players return: Tanguay, Latendresse, plus the flu that's been working over our guys is bound to recede.

-Overall team play begins to improve: the team is *beginning* to do little things better, and put in a solid 40 minutes against the Rangers instead of 30 (plus Gainey has clearly defined his coaching goal as getting the team to play sound fundamentals).

-You win/lose a couple of squeakers before getting on a roll: we scrape by Edmonton, we lose lose to NY in a shootout.

-Team confidence (maybe the most important thing) begins to recover. I don't know if we've seen signs of this yet, but it should follow on the other things.

So I think we have a ways to go, but that the signs are pointing to an eventual turnaround and thus, a playoff berth. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but this outlook feels a lot better than the blues.

They will make it. The same things happen ever year.

Teams get hot to get into the race and then they inevitably cool off.

Three weeks ago the Panthers and Canes were on fire, now Pittsburgh/Rangers are hot.

Also the Canadiens have managed to heat up out of nowhere down the stretch, go back to

the archives and read the posts from the 2007 run. They went 5-13 and dropped out of 4th

and the whole board wrote them off and they ripped off a 9-2 run to secure 8th before the

colossal choke against the Leafs in game 82.

In 2006 they won 9 of 10 down the stretch run to secure a birth. Last season they got hot

and secured the Eastern Conference 1 seed when everybody was worried about 8th.

Alot can happen in 12 games. 24 points up for grabs and the Habs only need probably 12-13

to qualify. But that is pathetic considering what the aspirations were 4 months ago.

One overlooked thing in regards to the difference between Gainey taking over in 2006 and 2009.

He had a full Olympic Break to implement his system, something he does not have this year with

only 16 games left.

They will make it, but will likely get bounced early. But you never know, outside of the Devils

the Caps and Bruins are not exactly upset proof.

They will make it. The same things happen ever year.

Teams get hot to get into the race and then they inevitably cool off.

Three weeks ago the Panthers and Canes were on fire, now Pittsburgh/Rangers are hot.

Also the Canadiens have managed to heat up out of nowhere down the stretch, go back to

the archives and read the posts from the 2007 run. They went 5-13 and dropped out of 4th

and the whole board wrote them off and they ripped off a 9-2 run to secure 8th before the

colossal choke against the Leafs in game 82.

In 2006 they won 9 of 10 down the stretch run to secure a birth. Last season they got hot

and secured the Eastern Conference 1 seed when everybody was worried about 8th.

Alot can happen in 12 games. 24 points up for grabs and the Habs only need probably 12-13

to qualify. But that is pathetic considering what the aspirations were 4 months ago.

One overlooked thing in regards to the difference between Gainey taking over in 2006 and 2009.

He had a full Olympic Break to implement his system, something he does not have this year with

only 16 games left.

They will make it, but will likely get bounced early. But you never know, outside of the Devils

the Caps and Bruins are not exactly upset proof.

Good analysis. Assuming we do make the playoffs, the 'X' factor is the ghost of last year's squad. Remember that we have basically the same team. If these guys can heat up and really start to click like they did for most of last season - that is, if we don't just scrape into the playoffs but really start to find our A-game, rolling four lines, blinding speed, tape-to-tape passing - the Habs could be prime 'upset' material. What I'm imagining is basically the reverse of last year's fabulous season and bungled playoff. It could flip on its head this time around.

That's a possibility. But my resolute optimism doesn't look that far ahead. This team will start to play better and will make the dance, I hereby declare. Beyond that? As another great prognosticator once said: 'difficult to tell. Always in motion is the future.' ^_^

Good analysis. Assuming we do make the playoffs, the 'X' factor is the ghost of last year's squad. Remember that we have basically the same team. If these guys can heat up and really start to click like they did for most of last season - that is, if we don't just scrape into the playoffs but really start to find our A-game, rolling four lines, blinding speed, tape-to-tape passing - the Habs could be prime 'upset' material. What I'm imagining is basically the reverse of last year's fabulous season and bungled playoff. It could flip on its head this time around.

That's a possibility. But my resolute optimism doesn't look that far ahead. This team will start to play better and will make the dance, I hereby declare. Beyond that? As another great prognosticator once said: 'difficult to tell. Always in motion is the future.' ^_^

I hope it does happen just to watch the reaction on the board. I have always been a fan of the 180.

Habs in - scarcely deserving, but Blunts and Panthers don't have it in them. Except, of course, when they play us.

We are just waiting on our top two lines to round into form. If A Kost starts scoring again, could be good. D looks hopeless.

Must be my first 'optimist' post ever.