Level of excitement about the upcoming playoffs?

alexstream

I'm usually a die hard fan...

but right now, I'm not excited at all.

I'm curious.

That's it.

not excited though.

Maybe this team has just burnt my patience over the course of the season, so much that I'm now drained?!

:P

So, on a habs fan scale of 1-10 (10 = most excited ever, more than when Saku came back from cancer to crush Jailhouse Joe, 1 = will hesitate between watching the bruins-habs game OR watching Rock & Nun with Whoopi Goldberg)

non hockey fans are rated in the negatives. e.g. my mom is -5. She knows what hockey is and she knows the habs, but that's it.

The past years, I was up there, 8.5, 9 (nothing beats Koivu coming from cancer)

but this season?! well, I'm just hoping they won't play on a Monday, cause I'll be watching House (never thought I'd say that... and my feeling might change with the momentum of the series)

so I'd say I'm a flat 5.5, not even 6. :(

how are you?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i stand somewhere between 7 and 9. Might go up if we steal one in Boston.

Last year, I was at 10. I had tickets for the last game of the season against Toronto and the 1rst game of the playoffs when Sergei scored on the very first shift and Andrei on the very second shift. Then, I was at 11 in the crowd.

7-8. 'Eager and intrigued' best describes my state of mind. I'm still uncertain about what this team is made of, and I want to see if they play like men or erratic babies. You're right, though; one win against the Prunes and I will really begin to feel it.

I am a 10 every year. I go in eyes wide open and let them take me on whatever ride they have in store for me.

Some years I get to see them shutout in their first 2 home games and get swept by the Sabres.

Some years I get to see a 3 seed get bounced by a 14 seeded Oilers.

But I have also seen an unknown Steve Penney take them to within 2 wins of knocking off the 4 time

champion Islanders in a season they finished with 75 points.

I have seen a cocky 20 year old kid lead them to a Stanley Cup that everybody had

awarded to a team that finished 33 points ahead of them. I then saw that same cocky 26

year old win 10 STRAIGHT OT games and win a Cup that all the experts had awarded to

the 119 point 2 time champion Penguins.

Sprinkle in two upsets over this same Bruins team in the last 7 years and I am not looking

at the downside.

ALL improbable outcomes, all panned as impossible by the prognosticators, all viewed as hopeless

situations entering the playoffs.

I am still amazed at the doubt and negativity coming from a fanbase that has been spoiled with the improbable.

I wrote them off after Markov/Schneider got injured, and who was there blowing one past Thomas the next day?

Let's get it on. If they lose, so be it, but I am not going to look for reasons they will lose after ALL the things I have seen.

Edited by Wamsley01

I am a 10 every year. I go in eyes wide open and let them take me on whatever ride they have in store for me.

Some years I get to see them shutout in their first 2 home games and get swept by the Sabres.

Some years I get to see a 3 seed get bounced by a 14 seeded Oilers.

But I have also seen an unknown Steve Penney take them to within 2 wins of knocking off the 4 time

champion Islanders in a season they finished with 75 points.

I have seen a cocky 20 year old kid lead them to a Stanley Cup that everybody had

awarded to a team that finished 33 points ahead of them. I then saw that same cocky 26

year old win 10 STRAIGHT OT games and win a Cup that all the experts had awarded to

the 119 point 2 time champion Penguins.

Sprinkle in two upsets over this same Bruins team in the last 7 years and I am not looking

at the downside.

ALL improbable outcomes, all panned as impossible by the prognosticators, all viewed as hopeless

situations entering the playoffs.

I am still amazed at the doubt and negativity coming from a fanbase that has been spoiled with the improbable.

I wrote them off after Markov/Schneider got injured, and who was there blowing one past Thomas the next day?

Let's get it on. If they lose, so be it, but I am not going to look for reasons they will lose after ALL the things I have seen.

ok you got me up to 6.5 :P

I think I'm just not emotionally attached to this edition... just like most of them actually. LOL, my "fanship" is comparable to A. Kost work ethic right now :P

I wear the jersey, go to the game, but don't mind if I miss one and am happy if we win.

:lol:

SO freaking sick of playing the Bruins !!!

I'm a 6. Happy that the Canadiens are in but I really don't expect much However I'm psyched the playoffs are starting. I'm sure this year will be great especially with the Devils losing in the 1st round and the Canes in the 2nd !!

ok you got me up to 6.5 :P

I think I'm just not emotionally attached to this edition... just like most of them actually. LOL, my "fanship" is comparable to A. Kost work ethic right now :P

I wear the jersey, go to the game, but don't mind if I miss one and am happy if we win.

:lol:

I understand the frustration and logic dictates they have no chance, but logic and sports rarely mix.

alexstream makes a good point. It's hard to get too enthusiastic about a team that has been as utterly disappointing as this one. After a while, you start to feel like you're trapped in an abusive relationship. :wacko: I think the (relatively) subdued tones from the fanbse are a by-product of an unusually traumatic season, that's all.

Speaking irrationally, I don't care for the amount of commentary that the mysterious Habs 'playoff magic' has generated. Even sober experts seem to be hedging their bets, saying that logically the Bruins will win, BUT this is Montreal and all that entails, etc.. It reminds me vaguely of the prophesies around Carey Price last season. I think these magical runs happen when nobody is expecting them. Too many people are jinxing it this time. :unsure:

alexstream makes a good point. It's hard to get too enthusiastic about a team that has been as utterly disappointing as this one. After a while, you start to feel like you're trapped in an abusive relationship. :wacko: I think the (relatively) subdued tones from the fanbse are a by-product of an unusually traumatic season, that's all.

Speaking irrationally, I don't care for the amount of commentary that the mysterious Habs 'playoff magic' has generated. Even sober experts seem to be hedging their bets, saying that logically the Bruins will win, BUT this is Montreal and all that entails, etc.. It reminds me vaguely of the prophesies around Carey Price last season. I think these magical runs happen when nobody is expecting them. Too many people are jinxing it this time. :unsure:

I haven't heard one person calling the Habs to win.

It is almost impossible to ignore the history because of 2002 and 2004. I don't recall these type

of discussions then, but it is recent history.

As for being trapped in an abusive relationship, at a certain point you have nothing to lose

and you don't care anymore. If the Habs lose in 4 straight can you be any more angry then

you were in February/March? At that point I wrote off the year. It is all gravy now.

That being said. In 2002 I had ZERO expectations and watched Theo almost get them to

the Conference Finals. After the Boston upset I said it was all gravy, but then they set me up

by going up 2-1 and collapsing, losing a 3-0 lead in the 3rd. They sucked me in and left me bitter.

My guess is if through 6-7 games if the Habs play well and they lose, then I will be disappointed

more than if they get waxed 4 straight.

go habs go

I feel a little burnt out from this years collapse and like Walmsley always hold an optimistic flame because you just never know.

BUT

My best friend is a Bruins fan and I beat on him bad. This year I don't have the confidence to beat on him like I usually do. Every once in a while they have to have a turn. You know we've won 24 and they have won 7. It feels like that stupid pocket where they just might grab number 8.

So I'm a 7 desperately trying to reach 8 before Thursday. If Carey finally plays to the level we all think he can play and we get some hard nose puck control, I'll step it up a notch, but until then I'll feel flat like I have since the all-star break.

We need to score first in every game. We need to lead the series at all times. If we fall behind for even a second they'll give up. I will be watching but it may be painful.

Edited by Habsak

The 4 key factors, IMO, to the Habs possibly upsetting the Bruins (in no particular order):

-Markov needs to play

-Price

-Price

-Price

Pretty simple if you ask me. This is an opportunity for Price to show his magic.

And I'm about a 7 right now, only because I'm preoccupied by exams. But Thursday morning I will wake up a 10, and the day will not go by fast enough for me.

The 4 key factors, IMO, to the Habs possibly upsetting the Bruins (in no particular order):

-Markov needs to play

-Price

-Price

-Price

Pretty simple if you ask me. This is an opportunity for Price to show his magic.

And I'm about a 7 right now, only because I'm preoccupied by exams. But Thursday morning I will wake up a 10, and the day will not go by fast enough for me.

LOL, this is why he gets torched on this board. Price will not win this series on his own. He needs to play great, but

he can be outstanding and still go 0-4. Even when Theo stood on his head in 2002 the Habs got huge production

from their first line. Audette, Koivu and Zednik were all over the place, secondary scoring from Gilmour, Perreault

and Petrov and a timely goal by Bill Lindsay.

You remove any of those factors and the Habs wouldn't have pulled the upset. These type of expectations

are what crushed him last May and this February.

I understand the frustration and logic dictates they have no chance, but logic and sports rarely mix.

oh, no, Habs in 6-7.

that's not why I'm down.

they just are a bunch of heartless pukes who'll all run away elsewhere as soon as they can, besides maybe the two americans (higgs and komo), the cowboy (price) and obviously the homeboys (the Montréal line, kosto, lats and laps)... oh, and markov fo' su'.

I hope tanguay is part of that group, not sure he loved it here though.

I haven't been excited about hockey since early November.

I too, though, am interested to see what happens against Boston.

winter was rough :P no hockey-libido whatsoever :P

lol, thanks for your support. :)

btw, there is nothing magical about the habs, the Bruins are just doomed to lose to us for eternity.

-Markov needs to play

-Price

-Price

-Price

well, as I see it, it's wishy washy in goals and we still make the playoffs... we don't have markov and we lose 80% of the games... a bad goalie can still win 1/2 of the games if the team plays well in front of him (or more, see osgood!)

so my 4 points would be

-Markov

-Markov

-Markov

-Markov

and Doug Gilmour. :s

I'm super pumped.

- Habs got in despite not belonging

- Ovie vs. Zherdev in a battle of two of my favorite players to watch

- Jackets first ever appearance

- Blues are a true underdog story

- Another Original Six team back in the playoffs

- Playoff hockey in general

About 7,5 at present, for many of the same reasons as alex -- just wasn't impressed with the team's performance this season. However, I could get real excited real quick if the guys brought passion, smarts and skill to the ice on Thursday . . . Could go to '11' !

My interest would be at about -5, except they play the Bruins which means the series will MEAN something. They everyday game means so little these days that it's too hard to get up for 82. So you pick and choose the ones that have some emotion.

Games against the Predators, Lightning, Coyotes, Sharks and their ilk are so dull it's more fun to gnaw off your own arm and beat yourself to death with it. But the Bruins? Leafs? Nordiques? Those games mean something.

Bring back the Nordiques.

Best of all, Boston-Montreal dictates that the regular season means butkus. Gut check time. Who has it in them to go through. The "underdog" Canadiens? The beastly Bruins?

Hell, the series is worth it if someone makes Chara more ugly than he already is.

I'm also not particularly excited. The Habs got in despite countless distractions, and their on ice play at points made a lot of people wonder why they were fans.

And so here they enter the playoffs with zero expectations to do well. Montreal could go all the way to the Stanley Cup finals with fans saying, "oh they'll probably lose in 4." It's an unfortunate mindset to have on your team, but considering the players have been feeling the pressure of the centennial season since preseason, I'm not so sure it isn't the wrong mindset to have.

So here I am, hoping to see more than 4 games of Habs hockey.

I'm also not particularly excited. The Habs got in despite countless distractions, and their on ice play at points made a lot of people wonder why they were fans.

And so here they enter the playoffs with zero expectations to do well. Montreal could go all the way to the Stanley Cup finals with fans saying, "oh they'll probably lose in 4." It's an unfortunate mindset to have on your team, but considering the players have been feeling the pressure of the centennial season since preseason, I'm not so sure it isn't the wrong mindset to have.

So here I am, hoping to see more than 4 games of Habs hockey.

If they make the finals the fans will proclaim that Gainey shits gold bricks and that Koivu is a sure fire Hall of Famer,

then if they lose in the finals they will retract all statements and demand mass firings and Koivu traded.

Edited by Wamsley01