Could Patrick Roy coach the Canadiens?

REV-G

I completely agree. Give me a 1-0 Cup boring winner than a 7-6 exciting loser any day of the week. I'm a Habs fan of the old school: WIN, G*DAMMIT. I could not give a flying piece of Kovalev-turd HOW they win. Just win.

It really is one of the great mysteries in hockey history, how a coaching staff/management made up of the very best defensive players of two NHL generations somehow managed to produce a team that has been consistently mediocre in its own end!! I can think of only three explanations:

1. They fit the system - if there is one - to the players. You end up drafting a lot of speedy talented Euros, you end up playing a speedy talented game rather than a defensive one.

2. The players just aren't tough or good enough to play that game.

3. The players just don't listen - or at least didn't listen to Carbonneau.

I forget whether Julien's team was any good in its own end. If it was, it tends to reinforce theory (3), although the personnel has maybe changed too much for the point to be very persuasive.

I think you forgot the obvious. The three ex-players aren't very edge give as coaches be because they lack EXPERIENCE!!!!

Please, no more coaches without any experience!! Roy is a young man, let him go gain experience elsewhere. As for Lemaire, he doesn't want to coach here, we all know it. Hartley, Robinson and Lever, as posted by someone earlier, I'd be delighted with those three.

Actually that would make a great team of coaches.....Hartley as head coach....Robinson as assistant and works with the defencemen...and Lever as a general assistant to work with the younger guys. Sounds like a great fit. Would someone make a motion that we call Bob and tell him what we've decided to do!!

Edited by REV-G

Actually that would make a great team of coaches.....Hartley as head coach....Robinson as assistant and works with the defencemen...and Lever as a general assistant to work with the younger guys. Sounds like a great fit. Would someone make a motion that we call Bob and tell him what we've decided to do!!

+1 with this fit. Having Hartley AND Robinson behind the bench with Lever would be a major improvement over Carbo-Muller-Jarvis.

Under those coaches you mentioned the habs make the 8th seed 50% of the time as well.

The talent honestly isn't much better in Montreal then in Minnesota. So i'm not sure what would change.

You think getting good players is tough now, wait unitl a known defensive coach arrives. Alot of his skilled guys walked as soon as they get the chance.

That is assuming that Gaborik is 100% healthy, which he rarely is.

That team made the Conference Finals

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues...0023312003.html

As for the talk about getting good players because of a defensive coach, who cares. The Devils and Stars

and Flyers continually got strong talent even though they played a stifling system.

Players want to WIN. IF you win, they will come. Habs put up 100 points and Tanguay and Laraque 2 players

who everybody figured wanted nothing to do with Montreal were enthusiastic about coming. They have a season

like last, and nobody wants to be in Montreal.

The Devils, Flyers and Stars continually win. Liek you said, until the habs start winning consistantly they won't be able to make the big pick up.

I'm not sure how much Tanguay wanted to be a canadien or how bad he wanted to get out of Calgary. Rumor had it before the deadline he refused a trade to the Habs.

My opinion is just there are better coaches out there then Lemaire.

The Devils, Flyers and Stars continually win. Liek you said, until the habs start winning consistantly they won't be able to make the big pick up.

I'm not sure how much Tanguay wanted to be a canadien or how bad he wanted to get out of Calgary. Rumor had it before the deadline he refused a trade to the Habs.

My opinion is just there are better coaches out there then Lemaire.

I believe there are better coaches out there than Lemaire. Not sure it is Hartley, Crawford or Robinson though.

I want nothing to do with another rookie, and if he has to be french then those are your options.

I'd like to offer another coaching option with some credentials at even the International level.

He speaks FLUENT French!

Pierre Pousse. Coach, France squad.

Course, he'd not understand a word spoken to him in Quebecois, but there ya go!

I'd like to offer another coaching option with some credentials at even the International level.

He speaks FLUENT French!

Pierre Pousse. Coach, France squad.

Course, he'd not understand a word spoken to him in Quebecois, but there ya go!

I changed my mind. I think Don Cherry would be even better as Habs coach.

I like this staff! Robinson could help out our defensemen and Hartley is a proven coach. Lever knows most of our young guys!

I like this staff! Robinson could help out our defensemen and Hartley is a proven coach. Lever knows most of our young guys!

I think the odds of this happening are pretty slim, but on paper it sounds great!

Absolutely not! Patrick Roy is our best bet at someday getting our hands on a good, francophone coach WITH SOME EXPERIENCE. For once, there's an unexperienced franco coach that other teams will want to sign. Go with Hartley and let Roy gain his experience in Colorado. In a few years, we'll be able to get our hands on a wiser Roy. Giving up that opportunity now while we have a decent candidate in Hartley would be mad.

I think the best bet is Hartley, with Robinson and Lever the 2 new Assistants.

This is what I've been saying. Robinson has already said that he'd rather be an assistant coach than a head coach. I don't really care if Lever's there or not but he won a championship with some of the younger players on our team.

This is a common misconception. In my opinion many journeyman players have a better understanding of both how the game is played and how to coach players. Most superstars rely on their great skill and natural talents to succeed. This does not build deep understanding of how the game is played. Being an average or below average player means dealing with your coaches a lot and it leads to understanding fundamentals. Not very many superstars have made good coaches. There are a few exceptions (Toe Blake). Lafleur, a superstar, would make a terrible coach precisely because he doesn't understand how the game is played by non-stars.

I also think that being a great NHL goalie has little significance when it comes to coaching skaters. Roy never had to deal with line changes or coaching strategies or systems. He just sat in front of the net and did his own thing. Regardless, he seems to be a good coach.

Absolutely not! Patrick Roy is our best bet at someday getting our hands on a good, francophone coach WITH SOME EXPERIENCE. For once, there's an unexperienced franco coach that other teams will want to sign. Go with Hartley and let Roy gain his experience in Colorado. In a few years, we'll be able to get our hands on a wiser Roy. Giving up that opportunity now while we have a decent candidate in Hartley would be mad.

This is what I've been saying. Robinson has already said that he'd rather be an assistant coach than a head coach. I don't really care if Lever's there or not but he won a championship with some of the younger players on our team.

I also think that being a great NHL goalie has little significance when it comes to coaching skaters. Roy never had to deal with line changes or coaching strategies or systems. He just sat in front of the net and did his own thing. Regardless, he seems to be a good coach.

and did he ever do "his own thing" That was his mantra don't see how it translates into a good coach. If we take a minute and think, in juniors he was president owner gm and coach kinda hard to get fired ain't it? is that the kind of control he needs to be successful. Lets face it he was and is a one man band dancing to his own tune. Only he can hear the music.

and did he ever do "his own thing" That was his mantra don't see how it translates into a good coach. If we take a minute and think, in juniors he was president owner gm and coach kinda hard to get fired ain't it? is that the kind of control he needs to be successful. Lets face it he was and is a one man band dancing to his own tune. Only he can hear the music.

Think: Mike Keenan

And he was just fired today - which is PERFECT> He doesn't take any crap at all and will whip any pansies into shape pretty quick. He could probably learn to tell the media off in French pretty quick.

Edited by Colin

Roy offered Coach and GM jobs of the Avs.

"Ruefrontenac.com also reports that Lacroix is offering Roy almost full control over the club's hockey operations as a way of trumping any potential offer from his other former team - the Montreal Canadiens."

As per TSN

Think: Mike Keenan

And he was just fired today - which is PERFECT> He doesn't take any crap at all and will whip any pansies into shape pretty quick. He could probably learn to tell the media off in French pretty quick.

i don't know about that. It looks to me like the pansies won in calgary, that is why he's out of a job. You should read what players had to say about him. No organization no system stuck in the 80's. I think we just fired a guy like that didn't we?

Apparently the Avs have offered Roy the job as both their Head Coach AND their General Manager. Absolute craziness, the guy hasn't coached above the junior level and they want to put him in charge of the whole franchise.

Yikes!

Apparently the Avs have offered Roy the job as both their Head Coach AND their General Manager. Absolute craziness, the guy hasn't coached above the junior level and they want to put him in charge of the whole franchise.

Yikes!

Better Colarado than Montreal In all likekyhood he'll probably be a disaster. If does a good job somewhere down the line Montreal could hire him after he's had experience there.

Better Colarado than Montreal In all likekyhood he'll probably be a disaster. If does a good job somewhere down the line Montreal could hire him after he's had experience there.

see my earlier post about control

apparently he refused Colorado's offer to stay another year in the Q. I know he still has a daughter in QC city. maybe he wants to stay near her.

or maybe he's just waiting to come back in montreal.

I've had enough of the non-experienced coaching that we have experimented with in Montreal; its time to bring in a proven coach with a system, communication and leadership! :angry: