Gomez in - Higgins out !

JoeLassister

I have seen him play plenty.

He is a better skating Roman Hamrlik (older version). Solid 2 way guy, plays physical, good first pass. Probably a solid 4 or 5 guy.

Not top end talent but very solid and dependable

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen him play plenty.

He is a better skating Roman Hamrlik (older version). Solid 2 way guy, plays physical, good first pass. Probably a solid 4 or 5 guy.

Not top end talent but very solid and dependable

McD a younger Hamr? so no norris :P

yippy!

That's from Mathias Brunet, commenting on Sedins signing :

On comprend un peu mieux pourquoi Bob Gainey a transigé hier pour obtenir un centre. Il n’y a déjà plus rien de très intéressant à cette position sur le marché.

i.e. we understand why Gainey felt rushed to get a center yesterday, there is now not much left at center on the market.

You got your numbers mixed up.

Leblanc is 6-0, 178 & just 18. If you've seen his bear of a father, you'd also expect him to reach 6-2 and 200+ lbs by the time he's done growing up.

Gomez is 5-11 & 200 & done growing. He's smaller than Higgins.

well time will tell if leblanc grows or not. There is no guarantee. heavier definitely taller??????? I don't know we will see. my point was Gomez iz no more a smurf than Leblanc and as to the numbers it depends on which site you take your stats from but we are only talking 1 inch, which is probably a big deal to you but not so much to me.

You got your numbers mixed up.

Leblanc is 6-0, 178 & just 18. If you've seen his bear of a father, you'd also expect him to reach 6-2 and 200+ lbs by the time he's done growing up.

Gomez is 5-11 & 200 & done growing. He's smaller than Higgins.

Pleks is 5-11 and 194 lbs.

Crosby is 5-11 and 200 lbs.

Physical size is not everything. Pleks plays like "a little girl", while Crosby is a buzzsaw on the ice.

You can downplay the cap number, but that salary will be a major issue of contention within 2 years.

Whether he knew it or not, the point is they did. They were everyone's dream option at centre and they never even hit the market. Not a single other high-profile centre on the UFA market and nothing much more that we know of on the trade market. If there were other better options on the trade market, I'm sure Bob had already explored them before making the deal for Gomez.

I applaud you Bob! :clap:

Whether he knew it or not, the point is they did. They were everyone's dream option at centre and they never even hit the market. Not a single other high-profile centre on the UFA market and nothing much more that we know of on the trade market. If there were other better options on the trade market, I'm sure Bob had already explored them before making the deal for Gomez.

I applaud you Bob! :clap:

Since when is this season the be all and end all? Overpay in 2009 because nobody is available?

Why not wait ONE season when a declining cap can cause all hell to break loose and the Habs

could be sitting there with a TON of cap space.

This is short term thinking that needs to be followed up with more aggressive moves to justify it.

If Bob sits on his hands and misses out on all the big names and has to do patchwork again,

What the hell is the point? Why be average next season with a monster contract when you could

have been average without it, allowing to possibly pick up some bargains next year?

Which is why nothing can be fully judged until the full plan is revealed. Part one on it's own is NOT THAT GREAT,

let's wait for the other shoe to drop before applauding anyone.

Edited by Wamsley01

Gomez is able to play two way win face offs and lead power play.

Now number 1b centre is...

Plekanec, provided that no one offers him a huge offer sheet. Given his slump last season, I think he'll resign with the Habs for a reasonable increase in salary. I still believe that a return to form for Kovalev (assuming the rumours are true about him resigning in Montreal) will happen, and the Plekanec-Kovalev-A.Kostitsyn line will be reunited again and prosper.

Look for the Habs to possibly pick up some potential 3rd & 4th liners in Stephane Yelle, Ian Laperriere, Eric Perrin, or Manny Malhotra, and an untapped prospect in Alex Bourret (fully released by Atlanta recently).

Plekanec, provided that no one offers him a huge offer sheet. Given his slump last season, I think he'll resign with the Habs for a reasonable increase in salary. I still believe that a return to form for Kovalev (assuming the rumours are true about him resigning in Montreal) will happen, and the Plekanec-Kovalev-A.Kostitsyn line will be reunited again and prosper.

Look for the Habs to possibly pick up some potential 3rd & 4th liners in Stephane Yelle, Ian Laperriere, Eric Perrin, or Manny Malhotra, and an untapped prospect in Alex Bourret (fully released by Atlanta recently).

Wow that sounds exciting and has the look of a future cup contender.

Unless Gainey flips Gomez out again I might have to become a leaf fan. :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

So we got Gomez who is exactly Koivu like in size, points, and style.... only double the salary!

No, you're wrong. Gomez's plus/minus is much better... and his playoff stats are much better than Koivu (+/- and team leadership categories).

You are right if you're hinting that this trade is to replace Koivu, who I think is not going to be re-signed.

Based on his NHLPA stats, Gomez is a play-maker who plays a hard-nosed game, but doesn't take as many penalties as Koivu.

No, you're wrong. Gomez's plus/minus is much better... and his playoff stats are much better than Koivu (+/- and team leadership categories).

You are right if you're hinting that this trade is to replace Koivu, who I think is not going to be re-signed.

Based on his NHLPA stats, Gomez is a play-maker who plays a hard-nosed game, but doesn't take as many penalties as Koivu.

plus/minus

Again, completely meaningless. Gomez played in Jersey with the current masters of the trap. Koivu played in Montreal where we haven't had a coach with a real system since the last Cup (and even that's pushing it). You or I would be a plus player with Jersey. It's hard to be a plus in Montreal.

I don't dispute anything else you've said, just your use of the most useless stat in all hockey.

The only stat i care about id cups. Gomez 2, Koivu zip.

Koivu has the lowest win % of any habs captain period. I certainly don't blame him, but he was the leader of the pack. He is a better huiman being then player, but good luck in your new town.

Pleks is 5-11 and 194 lbs.

Crosby is 5-11 and 200 lbs.

Physical size is not everything. Pleks plays like "a little girl", while Crosby is a buzzsaw on the ice.

You can downplay the cap number, but that salary will be a major issue of contention within 2 years.

I agree that gomez has a stupid contract given to him by a legend? gm. When glen was in edmonchuck he complained there was no money to sign anyone. Boy has he made up for all those lean years.

The salary is the only thing that makes this deal look bad. otherwise it is a great trade. as it is it is all Bob had.

I think with the Kovalev signing, i beleive those guys are out. 16 mill left i beleive. They still need 2 nhl D men.

Gionta wouldn't be bad at 3-4 mill to help the forwards. So before any one says it, yes he is small, but he actually skates hard, finishes plays and GOES TO THE NET. Not many habs do that at any size.

I think Hossa at 62 million for 12 years is crazier than Gomez. Especially for a guy who only plays in the regular season and holidays is the playoffs.

most of the guys i what are still out there so iam not worry yet Erik Cole,Chad LaRose,D Jordan Leopold,,Brian Gionta,Derek Morris,Chris Neil,Francois Beauchemin,Ian Laperriere,Marc-Andre Bergeron, to name a few...

I think Hossa at 62 million for 12 years is crazier than Gomez. Especially for a guy who only plays in the regular season and holidays is the playoffs.

Yeah, 26 points in 20 playoff games for the Pens last year was really bad. Even this year he didn't have as bad a playoff as people made it out to be.

It's a brilliant contract. Heavily front loaded so they can buy out the remaining years if they want for beans. And the cap hit for a player of that calibre? Fantastic.

You said it fanpuck, it always makes me laugh when people say he stunk in the playoffs, guess what? he has been on 2 straight cup teams.

What the heck has any habs player done in the playoffs since 93?

cup finals teams

It's a brilliant contract. Heavily front loaded so they can buy out the remaining years if they want for beans. And the cap hit for a player of that calibre? Fantastic.

god it is easy to get you guys going. It is actually 60 million over the first 8 years and 3 million over the last few years. And had you looked I said he goes on holidays in the playoffs which for the time he was in thrashers land they did. They didn't make the playoffs and yes it is a typical salary cap contract and has a good cap hit. lol hahahahahaha now relax and go have a beer and calm down.