Pick the next Habs' Captain

Psycing

Montreal Candiens' Captain for 2010  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be Captain now that Koivu has departed?

• Markov
    • Gomez
    • Hamrlik
    • Cammalleri
    • Gionta
    • Gill
    • Spacek
    • Lapierre
    • Plekanec
    • -Other
    • -None

Alright, so who do you think will be the next Habs' Captain?

Personally, Markov makes the most sense. He was (still is?) our MVP, logs a ton of icetime, and will be looked upon to lead the team as one of the longest standing members on the club.

Gomez is a likely candidate as well, but I believe Marky gets the edge as he's been in MTL so long.

I threw up the other guys as well incase anyone wants to make a case for them.

Edit: added Other and None

Edited by sakiqc

I'd go with a rotation home/away like Buffalo used to do.

I'd say Markov and maybe Hamrlik or Lapierre or a new guy...

agree with Habsfan, there isn't a player worthy of the C right off the start of camp, go with 3 A's and let the captaincy evolve through camp and if necessary into the season, the leaders/followers will emerge.

before Markov should ever be considered a captain, he want to enter into his defensive zone corner off a dump in before the fore-checker, true captains sacrifice themselves to make a play every now and then.

Yeah, I'm not saying we should declare any of these players Captain right away, but simply, who would you prefer as Captain.

I do like the idea of the players picking their captain though - but given the amount of roster turnover, the players probably aren't even familiar with each other at this point :P

Never in a million years did I see this coming, but i'm going to say Lapierre.

I worry he couldn't handle it, being young and all, but he is the best candidate. He gives it his all, he is from Quebec and the fans can connect with him.

Lapierre? Forget it, he's still a kid. Someone native language doesn't entitle them to anything.

No, but giving 100% every night certainly earned him an A and a shot at being captain. I agree he's not ready for it yet, but I think he's the best option nonetheless. This is why I think they should go with three A's to begin the year, to let him grow into the role.

This is a very loaded question. And much hinges on the decision.

-If it's Gomez, that will add hugely to the already-considerable pressure he'll be under. Too dangerous a move to contemplate. So much is hinging on Gomez. We can't f*ck that up.

-If it's Markov, we risk messing with success. He's the strong, silent type; asking him to be a media personality may be pushing it.

-If it's Lapierre or - equally plausible IMHO - Latendresse, we risk putting too much on the shoukders of these emerging players and mucking up the development.

-Cammalleri is too young and also doesn't need the pressure. Let him loose to score goals and have fun.

-Plekanec might have the right stuff, but his confidence is so shaky, it can hardly be well-advised to compound the pressure he feels with a C.

All things considered, then, it probably should be someone like Hamrlik or even Gionta - someone who's been around the block a few times, and is a major contributor to the team, but doesn't have the pressure to be amazing. Myself, I think Bob will try to add another seasoned veteran (like Brisebois, only not Brisebois) and throw him the C.

This is a very loaded question. And much hinges on the decision.

-If it's Gomez, that will add hugely to the already-considerable pressure he'll be under. Too dangerous a move to contemplate. So much is hinging on Gomez. We can't f*ck that up.

-If it's Markov, we risk messing with success. He's the strong, silent type; asking him to be a media personality may be pushing it.

-If it's Lapierre or - equally plausible IMHO - Latendresse, we risk putting too much on the shoukders of these emerging players and mucking up the development.

-Cammalleri is too young and also doesn't need the pressure. Let him loose to score goals and have fun.

-Plekanec might have the right stuff, but his confidence is so shaky, it can hardly be well-advised to compound the pressure he feels with a C.

All things considered, then, it probably should be someone like Hamrlik or even Gionta - someone who's been around the block a few times, and is a major contributor to the team, but doesn't have the pressure to be amazing. Myself, I think Bob will try to add another seasoned veteran (like Brisebois, only not Brisebois) and throw him the C.

Hamrlik or Markov or paint the C on Price's mask lol

I'm all for rotating the As until mid-season and then letting the players pick whoever emerged as the most worthy captain.

I think now it may be best to just give it to Lapierre. He plays with heart.

Markov would seem like the logical choice but he seems to be too quiet.

Markov.

I would say Gomez but he already has a lightning rod contract. I bet the players are dying to not get the C.

I don't think Hamrlik should even be a possibility. The captain should be someone who represents the team both on and off the ice. After being linked to the crime boss, it's tough to imagine him being given such a title.

I don't think Hamrlik should even be a possibility. The captain should be someone who represents the team both on and off the ice. After being linked to the crime boss, it's tough to imagine him being given such a title.

Not to mention the fact that there's no guarantee he'll still be around come the start of the season.