Plekanec files for arbitration

dlbalr

Well now, things just got interesting. For starters, this prevents an offer sheet, in case anyone was hoping someone would give him one. What it could do is open up a 2nd buyout period (within reason) for the Habs should the arbitration hearing occur. As normal, the Habs can accept or walk away from the award - if they accept, then they could buyout someone to fit him in, but if they walk away, that buyout window goes away. (Have I rambled on too much about the CBA stuff yet? :) )

The downside is that this is going to drag out the RFA period - if the Habs got all their RFA's signed quickly enough, they could possibly evaluate the remaining UFA's left and see if there's a suitable depth filler out there. As the hearing won't take place till late July/early August, that will prohibit this from occurring (unless they settle beforehand). The other downside is that if they don't settle, it'll be either a 1 or 2-year contract, which means he'll be unrestricted in a hurry. (Though this may not be a downside for some...)

http://habsinsideout.com/main/20868

The 20 RFA's who filed: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283832

Of all the people to file.. Plex? Is it possible a judge can offer LESS than both the player AND the team have put on the table?

Nancy got to go into traffic, hun.

Not surprising. It's not like I expected Bob to have done any actual negotiating with Tomas by now, anyways. He probably just submitted the QO and hasn't talked to him about a contract since.

I also don't expect Bob to be offering any longer than 2 years, so Plex wants to keep his options open and make sure he has a contract in time to start his UFA trial year. I can't say I expect he'll be a habs beyond 2009-10, but we'll see.

Frustrating...and in what sense, pray tell, does Plekanec think that he will do better elsewhere? Is there ANY other organization so weak at C as to give this guy top-line ice-time? The Habs have given him the opportunity to be more than the useful two-way player he was projected to be. He rewarded them with 1 1/2 great season, and a season of abject uselessness last year. This is a strange move from a player who, in my books, is just as likely to end up out of the NHL (c.f. Jan Bulis) as to make a sustained impact. :angry:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

For various reasons, Plex was thrown into a #1 C role for the past two seasons; something he was never projected and probably cut out to be.

Well, if he's making a pain in the ass of himself because he resents being given TOO MUCH responsibility and TOO MUCH opportunity to succeed...then he is the definition of a loser. Hopefully this is just jockeying for dollars rather than indicative of some deeper alienation from the organization.

A just in case move, I would think. He's likely expecting to be signed, but filed for arbitration in case they haven't worked anything out.

Well, if he's making a pain in the ass of himself because he resents being given TOO MUCH responsibility and TOO MUCH opportunity to succeed...then he is the definition of a loser. Hopefully this is just jockeying for dollars rather than indicative of some deeper alienation from the organization.

For all we know, Gainey offered him one million dollars and he's perfectly right to take it to arbitration. Going to arbitration doesn't mean the player's a douche, it means that the two sides couldn't agree.

Behind Gomez there is nothing else. Plekanek agent saw it and they think

that he has a value for this team that deserves more money.

Personnaly i don't think Plekanek deserves a penny more after the season he had.

I think that Maxwell could post similar numbers in two years if he was awarded

the same power play and ice time.

But he has not proven that. It's a hope that he will do this at the camp.

So let's say the Habs walk off on any settlement with Plekanek and sign Koivu for

similar money...

It's not like the habs would lose much and they would not have to wait for him.

This is reminiscent of Ryder.

I'm starting to get a bad feeling that Bob isnt trying to get them to buy into a long term team concept like the Wings have. i.e. push camaraderie and convince the players to stay together and sign for less and remain a highly competitive team for a prolonged time. It seems like the majority of them are me 1st and the gimmie gimmies. :angry:

All I can say is that I seriously hope Bob is still perusing Kovy. :P

I know there isnt enough cap space but thats the point. Bob needs to sign Kovy right now for cheap using cap space as the excuse as to why he cant give Kovy a big contract. After Kovy signs trade Plex and possibly even the Kosty bro's too. I imagine they will be troublesome to sign and keep not to mention the company they keep. The cleaning house sweepstakes should continue until all the problems and uselessness is removed.

Sure Kovy has spats of uselessness but he can and does show up big time when he wants to and he generally always puts up points in the playoffs. Plex on the other hand is only shows up on the game sheet in most playoff games. I'm bummed Higgs was traded because he actually gets points in the playoffs. I hope Bob tried to send Plex packing 1st.

I can see a scenario where Gainey says to Plekanec: we'll give the money and terms you wish for as long as you quit you turtle neck and you stop playing like little girl !!

If the Habs walk away from any decision on Plex, then they have $1.6M (plus however much else they were thinking they'd spend on him) open under the cap. And Saku apparently is dithering because he wants to end his career in Montreal. Pay cut to $2M?

Highly doubtful, but man, I think I'd love to see that just to see how the fans react! LOL

I'd be taken aback, frankly, if Saku is coming back. I'm sure the team would as well.

No way in hell I'd pay Plex more; he isn't cut out for anything beyond a luxury 3rd-line ctr. Trade away, maybe package Halak and someone else for a ctr?

That was a good question: has a judge ever lowered someone's salary in arbitration?

Edited by tokyohabs

For all we know, Gainey offered him one million dollars and he's perfectly right to take it to arbitration. Going to arbitration doesn't mean the player's a douche, it means that the two sides couldn't agree.

The QO was in the ballpark of 1.8M.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Plek...2456/story.html

OK, that confirms that Gainey is just trying to scrape cap savings where he can and that Pleks is responding quite sensibly. After all, the Habs can't simultaneously say 'you're our second-line C' and THEN say 'but we'll pay you like a 4th-line C.' :rolleyes: I don't blame Bob for trying, but...sheesh.

Over $3 mil for Pleks would be ridiculous, though.

Hopefully this comes to a reasonable resolution...

Does anybody know anything about Ben Maxwell? Is he at ALL a credible candidate to step up as a second-line C, either this year or when/if Plekanec leaves as a UFA? Good that we solved the #1 C problem, but there's a 50-50 chance we've just downshifted to a 2nd-line C problem.

Arbitration has been in favour of the players the past few seasons, what with all the ridiculous contracts being handed out voluntarily by GMs.

Smart business move on Pleks part, money-wise. Perhaps not as smart a move once his game is ripped apart in front of the arbitrator and he starts to hate his General Manager.

His cap number was 1.6, I believe. Doesn't a QO only have to be a 10% increase? My guess is Bob handed out the minimum QO to all of the RFAs, which doesn't seem ridiculous. Just buying some time.

His cap number was 1.6, I believe. Doesn't a QO only have to be a 10% increase? My guess is Bob handed out the minimum QO to all of the RFAs, which doesn't seem ridiculous. Just buying some time.

Not a ridiculous move by Gainey. But Pleks can legitimately point to his role on the team and his 2007-08 season as well as the second half of 2006-07 to argue that he is worth more. Both sides are acting as you would expect sensible businessmen to act. Trizzak's point about the longer-term implications for Plek's attitude about the organization is legitimate, though (I love how players say 'it's a business' when they bolt to the highest bidder or play hardball in contract negotiations, but then take it personally when the team does likewise :rolleyes: )

GC thought Maxwell would be a good player. I saw seen him play last year in a limited role, but don't know anything else. Didn't didn't Trotter and Clumac both centers i believe have pretty good years?

If Pleks is over 2.5 i would move him. He is self admitted soft player. BG should play that tape in arbitration.

QO's are based on salaries, not cap hits. He made $1.8 M last year (with the cap number being $1.6), and his required QO was actually the same, $1.8 M (10% increase only goes so far up the salary scale). I can't think of an instance of a qualifying offer being issued for more than the minimum, it's hardly an insult to Plekanec as some of you are claiming.

Again, this is just likely leverage in negotiations with Plekanec. He'll be signed by the beginning of August at the very worst. This means negotiations won't drag out into training camp.

It could be an ugly arbitration hearing if it gets that far, but Gainey traditionally wraps these up before that happens with a short term deal.

Plekanec had 69 points one year ago (I think it was 69) and I think that will mean alot. Wouldnt be suprised to se him awarded 3M for a oneyear deal.

Ditch him and resign Saku and we have the captain-problem solved as well.

Plekanec had 69 points one year ago (I think it was 69) and I think that will mean alot. Wouldnt be suprised to se him awarded 3M for a oneyear deal.

Ditch him and resign Saku and we have the captain-problem solved as well.

not gonna happen. True that Plex had 69 points two years ago, but he finished last season with a miserable 39 points. He'll probably get between 1.7 and 2.0 million$ on a one year deal.

Koivu is looking for a 4 year deal in Minnesota. He isn't gonna get that from Bob!