Sergei turns down 5 mil KHL offer to stay with Habs?

ForumGhost

I saw this on RDS at the gym, I'm gunna see if I can confirm this.

EDIT: Apparently it would have been a 2 year deal for 5 million. According to RDS, he wanted to go but didn't want to miss the Olympics.

Link

Not sure of what to make of this. It sucks that he apparently wanted to go, but I guess we already knew that anyway. Great to see he's still with the Habs though. Hope he doesn't bail right after the Olympics.

Edited by ForumGhost

What a bummer. Is it true that the Olympics is Gainey's only card to play? I don't like the sound of this. Any chance of him staying just deflated for me.

I think so - if he's not traded by the end of the Olympics, he's gone for sure.

They must be hard up for talent if they're going to pay *him* $2.5M per. That's kinda laughable.

Maybe the $2.5M calculation includes the "extra incentives" in its calculation. :P

Well the KHL is known for this kind of thing. They just want name value in their league to legitimatize themselves. Talent that's already made a name for themselves in the NHL is especially attractive.

Ba-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

(ForumGhost @ Nov 9 2009, 11:03 PM) *

Well the KHL is known for this kind of thing. They just want name value in their league to legitimatize themselves. Talent that's already made a name for themselves in the NHL is especially attractive.

Its quite true though. Every player with a NHL contract that the KHL can steal away from the NHL is a big moral victory for their league.

I beleive the KHL is the only league that has been able to steal away signed players from the NHL. None of the other Euro leagues have done it, at least not at the capacity that the KHL has been doing it. Most of the Euros who go back to Europe all do so when their NHL contracts are expired. Theres been a lot of guys defecting to the KHL who have NHL contracts.

What's so funny about that? Sergei K has made a name for himself in the NHL. Everybody knows him as "That weird Euro-country guy who played with Patrick Kane and Sam Gagner in London. You know? Sergei Costy-sin or something?"

So at this point, if you are GM what do you do with him? Trade him before he leaves? What do you think his trade value is? Every other GM knows now that if you don't move him you get nothing for him. They also know that he is a problem case and that he has not yet brought his game to the NHL level. If I was a GM I would maybe offer a 3rd round pick for him, 2nd at most. Of course, when this happens, how many are going to say BG threw away another young talent? ;);)

Well i would send down Stewart and call him up 3-4 games and play him with Pleks and his brother. What's the worst that could happen? The second line not doing anything?

I would sit either Lats or Lapierre and play Pyatt and White on the 4th line.

If he shows up and plays well, move him and his brother mainly because this is going to end up badly for the habs. I see both kosty's gone soon either by trade or KHL.

Yeah, the rumor is that Gainey threatened Kostitsyn with the Olympics when he tried to bolt. If he's suspended by the team/NHL, he isn't allowed to participate.

Yes, something has to happen before the Olympic break or he is going to lose him (possibly them) for nothing again.

I am a BG supporter but i'm even tired of losing players for nothing.

I assume Sergei would just wait until the summer before signing in the KHL. That way he'd face no suspension from the IIHF for any future events (including World Championships). It's only a couple months at that point anyways.

So we might have until the Entry Draft to move him. But we'd be playing with fire, that's for sure.

I'm probably a moron, but all else being equal, I would make him a proposal. I'd tell him that no one in the NHL is interested in trading for him; but, given that he's paid some time in Hamilton, that we are prepared to bring him up to the NHL IF he is prepared to defer his trade demands and IF he is prepared to be a professional and do as the coaches demand. So, if they scratch him, he sits without complaint; if they put him on the first line, so be it; etc.. He can use that time to make a statement and elevate his value.

In other words, I'd propose to let bygones be bygones on a tryout basis, to be followed by a reassessment in, say, February. If he still insists that only a trade can make him happy, then we'll go from there. If, on the other hand, he's having a solid time and being productive, we can talk about a possible future with Montreal.

But I doubt it will be that simple.

I'm probably a moron, but all else being equal, I would make him a proposal. I'd tell him that no one in the NHL is interested in trading for him; but, given that he's paid some time in Hamilton, that we are prepared to bring him up to the NHL IF he is prepared to defer his trade demands and IF he is prepared to be a professional and do as the coaches demand. So, if they scratch him, he sits without complaint; if they put him on the first line, so be it; etc.. He can use that time to make a statement and elevate his value.

In other words, I'd propose to let bygones be bygones on a tryout basis, to be followed by a reassessment in, say, February. If he still insists that only a trade can make him happy, then we'll go from there. If, on the other hand, he's having a solid time and being productive, we can talk about a possible future with Montreal.

But I doubt it will be that simple.

I wish it were that simple, but I think Sergei has demonstrated that he won't behave professionally. Barring any jumps in maturity, he'll be gone, one way or the other.

Whatever we're going to do with the kid, it makes no sense to have him sit in the AHL when he could be benefiting us up here. Whether it's to drive up his value for a trade, or get some (any) value out of his talent for ourselves before getting rid of him, as I stated in another thread he should be in Montreal right now. If he does well there is a good chance we can still salvage this situation, remember HIS BROTHER plays for us still, all of his issues become non-issues if SK can make the 2nd line come alive and re-establish himself as an NHLer with us. The message has been sent, ok, now move on.

Yes, something has to happen before the Olympic break or he is going to lose him (possibly them) for nothing again.

I am a BG supporter but i'm even tired of losing players for nothing.

I have read that if he waits until after the olympics that it will be too late to jump to the khl so he is here for the year. We will trade him, he wants to play in the nhl. So if a team offers him a chance to play he will go for it.

Give him a chance to prove himself worthy of the NHL-spot he thinks he deserves. He should notice himself if he isnt good enough and then maybe he wont be such a bitch anymore OR he plays great, says "I told you so" and we can trade him since his value will be higher.

Give him a chance to prove himself worthy of the NHL-spot he thinks he deserves.

They did. It's called training camp and pre-season. For him to make the team now, he has to force the team's hand by showing with his performance that he's too good to keep in the AHL. So far, he hasn't done that.

They did. It's called training camp and pre-season. For him to make the team now, he has to force the team's hand by showing with his performance that he's too good to keep in the AHL. So far, he hasn't done that.

+1. Bottom line. Especially the Pyatt and White are playing. We have too many grinder kids though, so IF he shows some offense down under, he would be first on the list.