Is PK Subban ready?

9 G 22A 31PTS +25

2nd overall in plus/minus

3rd overall in points amongst defencemen (5 from the lead).

#1 ranked defensemen in only his rookie season

An allstar

with that said, he leads all dogs in TOI. he plays the PP and the PK.

the bulldoggs are sitting in first in the west and 2nd overall.

Is he not ready for at least a 10 game tryout to see where he stands against NHL opponents considering our habs defence could use some help/ boost???

after watching 13 games this year live. i believe he can play in the NHL and would go as far as saying he would be a top 3/4 defenceman on this years addition of the habs (battle gorges)

#1 markov

#2 hammer

#3 subban or gorges

i know the first answer would be to not risk him but would we considering how dominent he's been thus far??

10 games could only help his development i think

and he's a right handed shot

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 G 22A 31PTS +25

2nd overall in plus/minus

3rd overall in points amongst defencemen (5 from the lead).

#1 ranked defensemen in only his rookie season

An allstar

with that said, he leads all dogs in TOI. he plays the PP and the PK.

the bulldoggs are sitting in first in the west and 2nd overall.

Is he not ready for at least a 10 game tryout to see where he stands against NHL opponents considering our habs defence could use some help/ boost???

after watching 13 games this year live. i believe he can play in the NHL and would go as far as saying he would be a top 3/4 defenceman on this years addition of the habs (battle gorges)

#1 markov

#2 hammer

#3 subban or gorges

i know the first answer would be to not risk him but would we considering how dominent he's been thus far??

10 games could only help his development i think

and he's a right handed shot

If we have room, which is not the case right now, I would be more than willing to give him a try out. I think that he is strong mentally and that a few games in the NHL would give him a good idea of what he has to do to get on the upper level and remain there.

He would be ready to play for a good team.

The Dogs are good, they win he is avoiding all the bs we see right now.

Consider him a ultimate spark plug and consider the habs a Huyndai Accent 2004 engine.

It won't make the engine run faster and it will burn the spark.

He's definitely having a strong season. I wouldn't know if he's ready for the speed and strength of NHL forwards, but there's no question we could use a d-man of his skill set in our group.

Boucher said that Mathieu Carle was virtually ready for the NHL, but he's out for the season with shoulder surgery.

There will definitely be one open D spot next year (and likely Bergeron won't be coming back, either). Carle will likely be taking a spot if he is indeed ready like Boucher has claimed. Subban could easily knock O'Byrne out of a spot, too, and depending on trades another spot might open up.

I can't see him getting more than an injury recall this year, though.

I wouldn't mind seeing him recalled for the last 6-7 games of the year, when we drop out of the playoff race. Just to give him a little season action.

That's about all I'd want to see him up for and even 6-7 games may be too many. I was thinking more of 2 or 3 games at max, but they may not want to risk him getting hurt since the Bulldogs are gearing up for a long playoff run.

Who are the D we will lose next year? Bergeron and Mara? And the ones with really horrible contracts stay for at least 2 more years. Spacek 3.5+M, Hamrlik 5.5M? (Yes I add Hamrlik here because he is also HEAVY overpayed)

Edited by Dalhabs

That's about all I'd want to see him up for and even 6-7 games may be too many. I was thinking more of 2 or 3 games at max, but they may not want to risk him getting hurt since the Bulldogs are gearing up for a long playoff run.

Well, I'd think he's more likely to get hurt playing 24 minutes a night in the AHL than 15 in the NHL, but in principle I agree: he's so key to the Bulldogs right now whereas to the Habs this year the difference he'd make is pretty small. That being said, with his play this year I'd say he's earned consideration for next year's Habs, which hopefully will be better than this year's edition (and the D could definitely use a bit of a youth/speed injection). I wouldn't want to put holes in his confidence heading into next year's training camp... let him come into September full of confidence from his AHL experience and determined to win over the NHL coaches.

Look at the top organizations, like Detroit, San Jose. They don't rush anyone. We're developing him properly. Many suggest the transition from AHL to NHL is toughest on young defenceman. Why don't we do it the right way, for a change. He'll be ready next september, and we won't have to hear how he was rushed, and forever damaged goods.

Look at the top organizations, like Detroit, San Jose. They don't rush anyone. We're developing him properly. Many suggest the transition from AHL to NHL is toughest on young defenceman. Why don't we do it the right way, for a change. He'll be ready next september, and we won't have to hear how he was rushed, and forever damaged goods.

Or maybe there season after.... Please don't rush this kid, or any others for that matter.

I don't want him to see any NHL games this season, and I don't want him to make the team out of camp next season.

Let him continue to dominate the AHL.

I don't want him to see any NHL games this season, and I don't want him to make the team out of camp next season.

Let him continue to dominate the AHL.

If he cannot make the pathetic Habs D lineup next year that will mean he has badly regressed and do not get your hopes up that he will dominate the AHL.

The kid should get called up and be given every opportunity to prove he belongs, if he doesn't exceed expectations, send him back with the list of things he needs to improve upon and look forward to him coming to camp next year prepared to make the club as a top 4-5 Dman. The league is going younger fellas, get used to it, with the cap, teams can no longer afford to bury guys in the minors and carry middle aged NHL's, the cost is to high and the speed of the game is returning it where it should be, a young mans game. Hal Gill, Paul Mara and Spacek of perfect example of this, 2/3 make big $$ and while they may have some veteran savvy, the speed of the game has passed them by, a younger, quicker player is no less mistake prone than these 3, but speed and energy can make up for some of the youthful mistakes, can't say the same for those three.

Edited by nyckdkool

If he cannot make the pathetic Habs D lineup next year that will mean he has badly regressed and do not get your hopes up that he will dominate the AHL.

The kid should get called up and be given every opportunity to prove he belongs, if he doesn't exceed expectations, send him back with the list of things he needs to improve upon and look forward to him coming to camp next year prepared to make the club as a top 4-5 Dman. The league is going younger fellas, get used to it, with the cap, teams can no longer afford to bury guys in the minors and carry middle aged NHL's, the cost is to high and the speed of the game is returning it where it should be, a young mans game. Hal Gill, Paul Mara and Spacek of perfect example of this, 2/3 make big $$ and while they may have some veteran savvy, the speed of the game has passed them by, a younger, quicker player is no less mistake prone than these 3, but speed and energy can make up for some of the youthful mistakes, can't say the same for those three.

That's what they said about Price and Latendresse. I'm with BTH. Keep PK on the farm learning the pro game with this supposedly excellent teaching coach. However, if he were to see a game or two of action this season on an emergency fill-in basis I wouldn't keel over. But he shouldn't be brought up for any length of time.

I wouldn't mind seeing him recalled for the last 6-7 games of the year, when we drop out of the playoff race. Just to give him a little season action.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think we all have high hopes for Subban, and none of us want the Habs to do anything that could jeopardize his development. Call him up when we'll have less than 10 games to go in the regular season!

Allow him to learn how to become a "winner" in hamilton...cause he certainly won't learn that in Montréal this year!

my oh my, take the baby gloves us, PK was rated the #1 D in the WJC last year, he is dominating the AHL as a rookie, he dominated Junior last year, he is not a 17 yr old or 18yr old or 19yr old, he is 20 going on 21. At some point in time, you need to put the kid through the test and see how he responds, not when the team is out of it and are playing for jobs in MTL or elsewhere next year, but while they are still in playoff contention.

Do you honestly think he could do any worse in his own zone than the current lineup, put him out there with Markov so he is can be protected somewhat, give him respectable minutes, put him in all situations and see how he responds. Watching Hall Gill and MAB (when he's on D) in their own zone is painful and disgusting, I can only imagine how great the Habs forwards look when practicing against this teams D, that could be their issue, they dominate the Habs D and get a false sense of ability and it shows up in the games.

Edited by nyckdkool

my oh my, take the baby gloves us, PK was rated the #1 D in the WJC last year, he is dominating the AHL as a rookie, he dominated Junior last year, he is not a 17 yr old or 18yr old or 19yr old, he is 20 going on 21. At some point in time, you need to put the kid through the test and see how he responds, not when the team is out of it and are playing for jobs in MTL or elsewhere next year, but while they are still in playoff contention.

Do you honestly think he could do any worse in his own zone than the current lineup, put him out there with Markov so he is can be protected somewhat, give him respectable minutes, put him in all situations and see how he responds. Watching Hall Gill and MAB (when he's on D) in their own zone is painful and disgusting, I can only imagine how great the Habs forwards look when practicing against this teams D, that could be their issue, they dominate the Habs D and get a false sense of ability and it shows up in the games.

You're not getting it. Or your just not reading what people are posting. We all believe, hope and pray that PK is ready, and will make the team next september. Just let him keep developing, there's no hurry. It seems to have already been done by this organization, rushing people.

You're not getting it. Or your just not reading what people are posting. We all believe, hope and pray that PK is ready, and will make the team next september. Just let him keep developing, there's no hurry. It seems to have already been done by this organization, rushing people.

Pretty sure I get it and simply disagree with strategy of handling PK like he's a raw 17/18 yr old who is barely keeping his head above water the minors, he is one of the best players in the entire league regardless of age. My opinion is there is no harm in giving the kid a fair opportunity see if he's ready for the NHL, the Habs D sucks, there is nothing to lose and only valuable experience to gain. If he struggles, back down he goes, that's the luxury they have, if he demonstrates he can handle the speed and physicality of the NHL, why send him down so he can develop bad habits while dominating lessor talent, it makes absolutely no sense.

Pretty sure I get it and simply disagree with strategy of handling PK like he's a raw 17/18 yr old who is barely keeping his head above water the minors, he is one of the best players in the entire league regardless of age. My opinion is there is no harm in giving the kid a fair opportunity see if he's ready for the NHL, the Habs D sucks, there is nothing to lose and only valuable experience to gain. If he struggles, back down he goes, that's the luxury they have, if he demonstrates he can handle the speed and physicality of the NHL, why send him down so he can develop bad habits while dominating lessor talent, it makes absolutely no sense.

So, keeping PK in Hamilton makes absolutely no sense? That's word for word what you typed. Look for it to happen, it's the proper way to develop players. They just called up Yannick Weber.

Edited by Habsy

So, keeping PK in Hamilton makes absolutely no sense? That's word for word what you typed. Look for it to happen, it's the proper way to develop players. They just called up Yannick Weber.

ya they called up weber who is pretty much the same age just not nearly as ready for the NHL as PK Subban is right now... is that the right move. weber is being called up right now on seniority basis.

not all of us agree to leave him down cause i dont. some times placing a good kid in a bubble isnt good either. he is definitly 1 step more developed then all bulldogs right now!

by the way the habs biggest problem with developing youngsters is there inability to use them properly. example 1: scring winger latendresse/ pacioretty/sergei kostitsyn used primarily on a 3/4th line less then 10 min a night.

3 examples of why you send these kids down if there is no room on your top lines...

what is he gonna learn coasting around on the ahl ice toying with players as he seems to be doing right now....

del zotto, hedman, staal, schenn, doughty, myers just to name a few of the dozen Dmen who NHL teams are not afraid to give ample minutes to...

ya they called up weber who is pretty much the same age just not nearly as ready for the NHL as PK Subban is right now... is that the right move. weber is being called up right now on seniority basis.

not all of us agree to leave him down cause i dont. some times placing a good kid in a bubble isnt good either. he is definitly 1 step more developed then all bulldogs right now!

by the way the habs biggest problem with developing youngsters is there inability to use them properly. example 1: scring winger latendresse/ pacioretty/sergei kostitsyn used primarily on a 3/4th line less then 10 min a night.

3 examples of why you send these kids down if there is no room on your top lines...

what is he gonna learn coasting around on the ahl ice toying with players as he seems to be doing right now....

del zotto, hedman, staal, schenn, doughty, myers just to name a few of the dozen Dmen who NHL teams are not afraid to give ample minutes to...

A primary example of how 1 good young dman can help transform your team. buffalo is virtually the same team as lasts years bottom feeder with the addition of myers playing 20 a night.