Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Well said. How many #6 Dmen can 1 team have?

Other than Dandenault and Bouillon, who are bottom pairing d-men, who else do we have? Gorges is a depth defenceman, yes, but we use him as one. Streit is awesome and is probably more forward than defenceman now. But if he were a d-man he'd be #4-#5, not a depth guy. Based on his play from last season (and his entire career). Souray is a great #3. Markov is a #1 and Komisarek as a #2 is fine. The only thing we lack is another bona fine second pairing d-man, which could push Streit to the bottom pairing (when he plays D) and then one of Bouillon/Dandenault off the roster. Our problem with our D has been that guys like Rivet have always been asked to do too much. One more reliable body can fix that.

Other than Dandenault and Bouillon, who are bottom pairing d-men, who else do we have? Gorges is a depth defenceman, yes, but we use him as one. Streit is awesome and is probably more forward than defenceman now. But if he were a d-man he'd be #4-#5, not a depth guy. Based on his play from last season (and his entire career). Souray is a great #3. Markov is a #1 and Komisarek as a #2 is fine. The only thing we lack is another bona fine second pairing d-man, which could push Streit to the bottom pairing (when he plays D) and then one of Bouillon/Dandenault off the roster. Our problem with our D has been that guys like Rivet have always been asked to do too much. One more reliable body can fix that.

Ideally, I see Bouillon dealt, only for salary purposes. I don't think he's as good as some think, or as bad as others think. Plenty of teams could use him. It was rumored that Pittsburgh was going to sign him if we didn't pay up and that's why he got nearly $1.9m for 3 years. I'm sure someone would've given him a similar deal, and would still trade for him now at his current rate.

This is my thinking with the D... a bottom pairing of Gorges-Dandenault with Cote as the spare. If Emelin comes over, he'll be in the mix with Gorges and Cote as well.

Streit at forward, don't re-sign Mike Johnson. When an injury happens to a top 4 guy, move Streit to D to fill that role. If an injury happens to one of the bottom pairing, put in Cote/Emelin.

That means we need to keep Markov-Komisarek as a pairing and build a second pairing likely Souray and another UFA.

Another option is this, no Souray: Markov-Komi

Other big name UFA-Streit

I don't see why Gorges can't take a regular shift, he did so with San Jose until he was traded, and they were much better than us. He's young, can move the puck and has a good reputation defensively. Just give him a training camp to get adjusted to the new team and see his confidence grow.

I want more mobility from our back end, but I also want to better use the mobility we do have in the system.

Nice post. And remember, O'Byrne is in the mix too :clap:

Definitely. We're starting to build some decent depth on the blueline. Depth we haven't had since we could call on Robidas, Bouillon, and Hainsey from our reserve.

Definitely. We're starting to build some decent depth on the blueline. Depth we haven't had since we could call on Robidas, Bouillon, and Hainsey from our reserve.

Hainsey was the biggest deception of the 5 last years. We were counting so much on him and Komi, only Komi came strong. And don't say he never had a chance, he ain't even deserved one at this time.

Edited by JoeLassister

Hainsey was the biggest deception of the 5 last years. We were counting so much on him and Komi, only Komi came strong. And don't say he never had a chance, he ain't even deserved one at this time.

I'm just pointing out we had multiple options to call upon when regulars went down. I, of course, neglected to mention Traverse. :)

We don't really know if any of those options we'll have next year will be better than Hainsey was for us.

Our D isn't that bad as it stands right now.

The biggest difference to ours and the other teams still in the playoffs is the other teams have D that block every shot they can. Aside from Komi I don't remember many current Habs doing that.

We need a Volchenkov type on the blueline if we are looking for a UFA defenseman this offseason.

Edited by Habitforming

You guys must be living in fantasy land if you think the habs have a great or even good defense. The difference between the habs D and the teams in the playoffs is those guys actually know how to play D, they are better and they know how to win, play the body, move the puck, win battles but your right other then that they are good. The numbers don't lie.

It's one thing to be a Habs fan but there is a reason this team rarely makes playoff appearances. They are not that vgood. Only in fantasy Habland are these guys good.

You guys must be living in fantasy land if you think the habs have a great or even good defense. The difference between the habs D and the teams in the playoffs is those guys actually know how to play D, they are better and they know how to win, play the body, move the puck, win battles but your right other then that they are good. The numbers don't lie.

It's one thing to be a Habs fan but there is a reason this team rarely makes playoff appearances. They are not that vgood. Only in fantasy Habland are these guys good.

:rolleyes:

Last Saturday night's 'Hot Stove' feature on CBC the panelists were mentioning that the Habs may have some interest in Dainus Zubrus. I forget which one of them mentioned it though. Apparently he still has a house in Montreal and likes the city?

Not saying I necessarily agree with that but thought I'd mention that - throw it out there for some discussion, insults, negative comments or whatever..... :)

Our D is actually quite bad, with the worst possible first pass I have ever seen. Souray is a constant liability when he is doing anything other than shooting the puck.

We do have some decent defensemen in Markov, Komi and Streit but they are really dragged down by the others.

He does has size and definitely has picked up his play in all 3 zones. plays pretty physical which is something the Habs definitely need. He also plays LW and center.

I'm actually not sure what to think on Zubris.

He does has size and definitely has picked up his play in all 3 zones. plays pretty physical which is something the Habs definitely need. He also plays LW and center.

I'm actually not sure what to think on Zubris.

Not sure either - he is having a good playoff run though? :?-

Zubrus? Hmmm, I'd rather someone else but given his size, if we can't do better on the market than I say go for it.

Is he really a guy who is going to be a #1 or #2 center. in the playoffs he has taken a defensive role and if that is what we want him for, he is going to be a lot more expensive then Bonk.

When he got traded at the deadline the word was he was looking for $3M+.

There is talk that SJ may move Marleau. I'd rather go after him then Zubrus.

Zubrus has been a tank this year in the playoffs running over everyone, his wife is from MOntreal and he would love to come back here, all that said I heard he is looking for 4 milliopn and if Bob gives him that I wil be pissed.

Tony, i agree on Gorges, I would expect him to be starting at the beginning of the season depending on who BG can get rid of. I like his skating, puck moving ability. Needs to toughen up a bit.

For sure Chris, his biggest knock would be that he needs to bulk up his frame but aside that he's another solid project for the Habs D. From what he showed last season, he plays smart in his zone and is reliable.

Zubrus has been a tank this year in the playoffs running over everyone, his wife is from MOntreal and he would love to come back here, all that said I heard he is looking for 4 milliopn and if Bob gives him that I wil be pissed.

He said he'd gladly take a pay cut to come back to Montreal so 4M$ would be too much :P

Edit: If I remember right, 4M$ a season is the deal he wanted from the Caps and a long-term deal too.

Iwould be glad to Have Zubrus back on the team. He has matured a lot and is good at both ends of the ice...besides he is one of the top hitters in the playoffs...go figure. I wouldn't pay the guy 4 million though.

I agree with you on Marleau, but the Habs need some players that will actually get them into the playoffs. Then people can bitch about them not showing up in the playoffs.

The good thing about getting Zubrus is his size and the Habs would not have to give up anything for him. However 4 million seems like a little too much. Would love to see Vinny Lecav here, depending on the price.

I agree with you on Marleau, but the Habs need some players that will actually get them into the playoffs. Then people can bitch about them not showing up in the playoffs.

Thats what I though Samsonov, Kovalev, Koivu, Ryder and Dandenault were supposed to do... :blink:

Marleau sucks in the playoffs. I like this guy, but not enough to want him on the Habs.

Marleau is actually almost a ppg player in the playoffs in his last 3 trips to the post season (excluding his last series against the wings).