Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I hope as usual he is wrong. I would be pissed if they traded Ak46 for Reghyr. He is the perfect example of a good pre-lockout dman who is in decline, because of his lack of foot speed and inability to help support the transition play. Last year he was probably calgary's #4 or #5 dman and hasn't been any better this year.

You don't trade a 25 goal player for a marginal 2nd pairing, closer to bottom pairing dman. AK is a streaky scorer, but is still #4 on the team scoring with considerably less ice time thn the guys ahead of him

Gomez would be a nice fit for Calgary. A set up man, a trigger man, sounds like a perfect marriage.

I'm not giving up on Eller, I just think that Penner would be better.

Wow, lots of love for Eller on this board...

If the Habs would have traded Halak for Penner this past summer, I'd be ecstatic. It's the same old riddle, to get a top 6 player, you're going to have to give up something good. I like Eller too, I just feel Penner fits the team better now. And that's what I want, a good team now.

With guys like Pacioretty and Leblanc, Kristo and Avstin on the rise - this team still has plenty of building blocks for the future. I figure we could spare an "Eller". Don't really know how much time he'll get at centre with Plex and Gomez on the books for the next 4+ years. Would rather have a natural big, scoring winger like Penner than forcing a young kid onto the wing. Just sayin'.

Gomez would be a nice fit for Calgary. A set up man, a trigger man, sounds like a perfect marriage.

That is the one of two trades I wouldn't mind making for Reghyr - the other being spacek.

Unfotunately calgary doesnt have cap room so the only way it would work if we also took another stupid contract for either of the two ex-leaf bums - stajen or hagman in return as well.

Gomez's contract is worse than Reghyr and spacek is worse then Reghyr, and even though Reghyr's contract has I think 2 yr remaining, I'd have an easier time with two years of Reghry than another year of spacek - at least Reghyr can clear the front of the net!

If the Habs would have traded Halak for Penner this past summer, I'd be ecstatic. It's the same old riddle, to get a top 6 player, you're going to have to give up something good. I like Eller too, I just feel Penner fits the team better now. And that's what I want, a good team now.

With guys like Pacioretty and Leblanc, Kristo and Avstin on the rise - this team still has plenty of building blocks for the future. I figure we could spare an "Eller". Don't really know how much time he'll get at centre with Plex and Gomez on the books for the next 4+ years. Would rather have a natural big, scoring winger like Penner than forcing a young kid onto the wing. Just sayin'.

In a cap world, we couldn't take on a Penner for Halak without giving up another top 6 forward, or a top 4 d-man. That's why Eller makes sense as something in exchange: we made the deal to keep the core of the team in tact, and add a piece who might play better than his pricetag.

I hope as usual he is wrong. I would be pissed if they traded Ak46 for Reghyr. He is the perfect example of a good pre-lockout dman who is in decline, because of his lack of foot speed and inability to help support the transition play. Last year he was probably calgary's #4 or #5 dman and hasn't been any better this year.

You don't trade a 25 goal player for a marginal 2nd pairing, closer to bottom pairing dman. AK is a streaky scorer, but is still #4 on the team scoring with considerably less ice time thn the guys ahead of him

I kind of agree. Kostitsyn is still a top-6 forward once he finds his groove again. If Calgary are seriously going to rebuild, then I could see them wanting young and cheap prospects. Weber comes to mind, and maybe a draft pick... who knows.

I hope JM puts Kosty back on the top line tonight.

In a cap world, we couldn't take on a Penner for Halak without giving up another top 6 forward, or a top 4 d-man. That's why Eller makes sense as something in exchange: we made the deal to keep the core of the team in tact, and add a piece who might play better than his pricetag.

Bingo. To succeed in a cap era, teams must get production greater than what some of the players are making. Darche and Halpern have been big boons for the Habs in that regard this season. As nice as it would be to have move proven production in your lineup, you have to pay for the fact it's proven. If Eller can get to that level next year (production at a greater level than cap hit), that'd be terrific.

Musing over the rumblings of a trade for a Calgary d-man, part of me wonders if Sarich is a palatable target here. A little cheaper, 1 less year on the deal, and would be easier to acquire. Regehr would be a major deal, Sarich more of a tinkering one, save for the roster player that would have to go the other way to offset some salary.

If they could take on 4.25M in salary, they would have kept Halak.

If they could take on 4.25M in salary, they would have kept Halak.

Really - I don't believe that. I'm in the camp that the organization wanted Price all the way. Halak did them a favor by playing strong and netting a decent propsect in a trade.

It's probably true that the team couldn't take on Penner's contract this past summer without moving a body (like Kostitsyn). I guess we'll see what happens up until the trade deadline. I'm still of the mindset they need another top 6 forward and a d-man. I guess after last night's heart-attack, a d-man is the priority.

Really - I don't believe that. I'm in the camp that the organization wanted Price all the way. Halak did them a favor by playing strong and netting a decent propsect in a trade.

It's probably true that the team couldn't take on Penner's contract this past summer without moving a body (like Kostitsyn). I guess we'll see what happens up until the trade deadline. I'm still of the mindset they need another top 6 forward and a d-man. I guess after last night's heart-attack, a d-man is the priority.

I think Price was their preference but money did play a role. If they kept Halak, they may not have been able to keep Plekanec (or at least would have really had to go cheap on filling out the bottom of the roster).

As for what the team needs between a D and a F, you'll probably find yourself flip-flopping on that many times between now and the deadline, I know I have. :) With their limited remaining cap space though, they'll be hard pressed to bring in notable help at both positions.

I can't speculate on what they wanted, all I do know is that their hand was forced because of salary. Gauthier said so in his press conference announcing the deal.

You know I like Penner and the net presence he would bring, but talking to a lot of my oilers friends, I don't know if we would necessarily get anymore consistency out of him then we are getting from AK46.

ok fuel for thought

with Camm and Pacio out for a couple of weeks (Pacio), Camm probably a month, and lets say Halpern is out too

best case scenario with everyone else playing 100%

eller-plek-kost

pouliot-gomez-gionta

darche-deharnais-moen

pyatt-Hamilton-Hamilton

Watch out, Ek is starting with the Robin Regehr rumours again. How on earth Montreal fits that $4M a year (for 2 more years) into their cap - I have no idea?!

I can try.... Calgary could take Spacek in the deal, buy why they would want an aging veteran with one more year at $3.8M is beyond me? They should be rebuilding with younger players. However, Hamrlik and a prospect to Calgary makes sense since Hammer walks after this season, thus Calgary would be dumping Regehr for money reasons. Then it's almost a certainty the Habs can't keep Markov, Gorges, Wisniewski and Regehr. Ugh, my head hurts.

Regehr would be amazing. I don't see why we wouldn't be able to keep all four. Gorges won't make TOO much money, and I hope Markov will be unable to demand a larger contract considering his injuries.

Having Markov, Gorges, Wisniewski, Regehr, Subban and Spacek might give us one of the best defense corps in the league.

Regehr would be amazing. I don't see why we wouldn't be able to keep all four. Gorges won't make TOO much money, and I hope Markov will be unable to demand a larger contract considering his injuries.

Having Markov, Gorges, Wisniewski, Regehr, Subban and Spacek might give us one of the best defense corps in the league.

Reghyr is NOT the answer. He would bring a physical presence, but he represents the ideal pre-lockout dman. He has been in decline for the past three years and represents the first of the two major issues with the flames - too slow and too old. He can't support the transition play and IMO would be an upgrade to Hammer's physicality, but is slower and less of an offensive presence.

There is NO way we could come under the cap with Markov, Gorges,Wiz, Regehr, Spacek and Subban, with still two more Dman required to fill out the lineup.

Ideally, I want Markov, GOrges, Subban and Wiz back, but unless PG can pull out a rabbit from his hat, we are probably stuck with SPacek.

From the rumour inventor himself...

*The Habs are getting close to a deal I am told, that would bring Stephen Weiss to the Canadiens...(e4) Love this move.

A decent C, 2 years left after this on his deal with a respectable cap hit of $3.1 mil but escalating salaries as high as $4.1 mil, plus a NMC. Perhaps a Kostitsyn replacement if he's willing to shift permanently to the wing? We all know his success rate but at least this name makes a little sense.

New name to ponder and this one's not from you-know-who even...

The Habs and GM Pierre Gauthier work quietly, but we're happy to report they are trying to add a scoring forward. No, they won't bring back Alex Kovalev, whose miserable two seasons in Ottawa are coming to an end. Instead, the Habs might look at Flyers RW Nikolai Zherdev (17 points in 41 games this season). Gauthier seems to think he's smarter than everybody else and likes reclamation projects.

2 things I don't like there - Zherdev is one but did Garrioch need the snarky remark at the end? What's wrong with reclamation projects? You don't trash your trash for gold but rather for others' trash, or reclamation projects. Heck, half the trades in the NHL are like that now. The only thing I hope is true is the Kovalev note.

http://www.ottawasun...2/16994831.html

New name to ponder and this one's not from you-know-who even...

2 things I don't like there - Zherdev is one but did Garrioch need the snarky remark at the end? What's wrong with reclamation projects? You don't trash your trash for gold but rather for others' trash, or reclamation projects. Heck, half the trades in the NHL are like that now. The only thing I hope is true is the Kovalev note.

http://www.ottawasun...2/16994831.html

Garrioch is one of the few mainstream rumour monger writers that is as bad or even worse then Eklund. Most of his rumours are about as ridiculous as Eklund.

Weiss seems like he'd be a good addition, notwithstanding the positional issue. Indeed, his smallish size and all-around game suggests a perfect fit for our team :B) Given that JM probably knows him well, this is a rumour that I'd be inclined to think credible, despite the source. Indeed, I'll go out on a limb and suggest that Weiss *might* even make Gomez dispensable :wacko: Anyway - an interesting idea.

Im copying this from Danslescoulisses.com

"WE ARNOTT INTERESTED"

QUestion for you Hockey enlightened (cough Brian)

Can Dustin Boyd come back up during the playoffs and only then is he not put on reentry waivers?

BTW He had another hat trick last night (without Desharnais)

Edited by CoRvInA

Boyd needs re-entry waivers at all times, be it now, after the deadline, playoffs, etc. Closest recent example is Mathieu Schneider, dealt to Phoenix at the deadline and then put through re-entry afterwards. And yes, Boyd had a hat trick this morning, his first points in 6 games. (Still looking for that elusive first assist too oddly enough...)