Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I don't think he should be fired, but the controversy lies with his philosophy of waiting to the last minute to negotiate with UFAs. The proof's in the pudding. If Komi does walk, then apart from the case of Markov, then his strategy has proven to be a costly bust. Add to that Bob's reluctance to get value back by TRADING impending UFAs (quite possibly because he is in the dark as to their seriousness about staying in Montreal) and the gravity of the situation becomes clear.

And you'll pardon me if I find small consolation in prospects who won't even be NHL regulars for years, and who - if current trends continue - will simply go elsewhere just as they enter their prime, just like Komi. That is a recipe for endless mediocrity, the Montreal Expos of hockey. At some point you either have to commit to your own UFAs or sign new ones. Period.

Agree. On managing assets, Bob has charted a course different from most other GMs. It's bold to stick to a novel management style, and dangerous.

To keep his job, in my opinion, Bob's gotta have one hell of a summer, I mean, he's gotta hit a grand slam. Free agency, trade, move up the draft. The Molson's won't stand for the asleep at the wheel approach.

None of this is happening. We have virtually a 0% chance of having a team as good on paper as this past one. People are going to leave and we're either going to either replace them with downgrades or not replace them at all. Bob can only limit the damage. (Moving up in the draft for a centre like Kadri would be cool but I don't know if he'll be able to pull it off; or want to do it, since I bet Bob would be content to pick up someone like Leblanc or Holland at 18th.)

My thoughts exactly. The 5 mil$ range is what I think Komisarek would earn WITH the HABS. If he signs away, I think it would turn more around 6 mil$.

IMO, what could be interesting for the Canadien would be to lock Komi for only 4 seasons at 5 mil$ instead of a long and potentially costly 8-10 years deal.

I would pay Komi 5M a year for four seasons. But I see him getting better offers than that. More money and longer term.

Our only reasons for optimism for next season are:

1) Martin might be able to have our team playing a system; disciplined, better team defense, less shots against...

2) Most of our players are bound to play better than they did last year.

We're likely another 7th or 8th seed.

BUT - there isn't much sense in talking about next season until we see what happens with the UFA market...

Why??????

Because of the new ownership, because of the situation the team finds itself in. Look for Bob to be replaced, I'm not saying it's what I want, just don't be surprised. It's my opinion, which is what Habsworld is, opinion.

komi needs to go somewhere so lucic won't be looming over his shoulder. komi had little of the mean streak shown in previous years, and his giveaways were classic. as for gainey, it will be interesting to see 21,273 gms in attendance evaluate his performance on draft day. don't think he'll be universally welcomed on fri. nite. as for martin, the less said the better. i think the panthers were happy to be rid of him.hopefully the new ownership will politely ask them to clean out their offices.

On another note, I've got Vancouver sports radio on in the background and their resident loudmouth gorilla Dave Pratt is sh*tting bricks that the Sedins twins are going to go to free agency...and that the Habs in particular, with tons of cap room and (apparently) in a 'total rebuild,' will swoop in and sign them. :hlogo:

Always fun to hear other cities fretting over the Habs one way or the other ^_^

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

If the Sedins come in on those 10 year contracts, paying 5M per... that would be AWESOME. Our team would still have plenty of holes (another top 2 C, a gritty top 6 winger, another top 4 D) but they're a huge upgrade on our Koivu-Kovalev duo. It's been forever since we've had two legitimate first line players in their prime signed long-term.

But my expectations are very low. :(

Horton is a good idea if we can make it happen. He's 24, which means he still has 2-3 seasons to grow into a fully mature player, but the fact that he's been on the Panthers a while may mean that the organization is getting tired of being teased (just as Habs fans often seem willing to give up on Latendresse, who is even younger). It could conceivably be one of those situations where an organization loses patience with a guy and another club profits. Nice thought, anyway.

Horton is married to a playboy playmate. Google Tammy Plante playmate, and check her out. Not that that has anything to do with anything

Horton is married to a playboy playmate. Google Tammy Plante playmate, and check her out. Not that that has anything to do with anything

It has everything to do with it....

No wonder the guy has no energy at times.

It has everything to do with it....

No wonder the guy has no energy at times.

No kidding...

Apparently she's the great-niece of Jacques Plante too...

I'd rather have an enima from an iraqi prison then the Sedin twins on the Habs.

:clap:

All we need is Haley Wickenheiser for the best all-female first line, then.

You can say what you want about the Sedins but you can't argue with their numbers.

I agree. They may not be the most complete players in the league, but I'd take them in a heartbeat.

Have the Sedin's ever been injured? Say what you want but I'd rather have the Sedin's for 80 games than Forsberg, Koivu or someone like them for 50-70 games.

Since the lockout, the brothers have missed a combined 1 game.

Yep, the Sedins show up every night, compete and play hard every night, put up decent numbers every year, they have been as far in the playoffs as any habs team in 15 or so years.

What habs forward shows up every night and competes?

Answer: Know one

Yes, these attacks on the Sedins are absolutely based in ignorance - and possibly anti-European racism (as in, European skilled players MUST be pansies). They are, in fact, proven, elite forwards, either of whom is substantially superior to any player we have now. Remember Kovalev's "big year" of 84 points? That's basically what you get from the Sedins, every single year - but minus all the psychodrama. But no, we don't want players like that on our team, no siree.

Yes, these attacks on the Sedins are absolutely based in ignorance - and possibly anti-European racism (as in, European skilled players MUST be pansies). They are, in fact, proven, elite forwards, either of whom is substantially superior to any player we have now. Remember Kovalev's "big year" of 84 points? That's basically what you get from the Sedins, every single year - but minus all the psychodrama. But no, we don't want players like that on our team, no siree.

While your blanket is comfortable as it lands on all of us, my comment was merely a reflection on how it's been amusing to call them the Sedin Girls since the day they were drafted. Other than the stick-on playoff beards they occasionally sport, they actually look more fine-featured and feminine than Haley Wickenheiser (which is not meant to insult her femininity because I think she's laced with a certain sexuality).

While your blanket is comfortable as it lands on all of us, my comment was merely a reflection on how it's been amusing to call them the Sedin Girls since the day they were drafted. Other than the stick-on playoff beards they occasionally sport, they actually look more fine-featured and feminine than Haley Wickenheiser (which is not meant to insult her femininity because I think she's laced with a certain sexuality).

Wasn't targeting you per se... ;) More the general attitude that seems to be floating out there re: the Sedins.

Wasn't targeting you per se... ;) More the general attitude that seems to be floating out there re: the Sedins.

I didn't figger. If I came across as snappy, it's the Swine Flu. Never been sicker in my whole life.

You can sit there and put words into my mouth if you want, but I didn't say anything even remotely close to the crap you posted. (I would really question the use of the word "Elite" though)

Over the last 10 years or so we have had many issues with players on and off the ice. Most recently we split up some clicks in the room... Saku /Rivet, ...Mikey Ribs/ Dagenais and Theo etc etc. The Sedins will create that all over again, and likely not even on purpose.

No thanks, numbers or not, I'll pass on them and their huge contract demands.

Edited by Habitforming

Just because they're brothers, doesn't mean they start cliques. I haven't heard any reports of Vancouver's dressing room being messed up.