Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

O'Brien's an interesting case...seemingly ideal in some ways (defensive-minded and tough), he really matured into a leader in Colorado, but had a rep as an uncoachable party animal in Vancouver. Would Montreal be a bit like hiring the fat lady to work in the candy store? That's the question.

I like those guys better than Sarich.

The big thing with O'Brien is that he can't give you many minutes. He's never averaged 20 minutes per game (heck, he's only averaged over 18 once). His best attribute is that he can fight, that's not the top priority I want to see in any defenceman (anyone who followed Hamilton knows how bad an idea that is). He also doesn't block a whole lot of shots which is something I think they will covet to take some pressure off Gorges.

The big thing with O'Brien is that he can't give you many minutes. He's never averaged 20 minutes per game (heck, he's only averaged over 18 once). His best attribute is that he can fight, that's not the top priority I want to see in any defenceman (anyone who followed Hamilton knows how bad an idea that is). He also doesn't block a whole lot of shots which is something I think they will covet to take some pressure off Gorges.

With Markov/Kaberle/Diaz/Weber/Gorges you have one soft group of defenders and Subban is too small to clear anyone from front of net, and Yemelin also is no crease clearer but at least can hit.

And we already have enough shot blockers coming over next couple years in Pateryn/Ellis and Tinordi. But for 2012-13 they have to have at least 1 d-man who can or is willing drop the gloves in defense of Price and smaller forwards; period.

You need at least 1 who can fight, dont care if he cant play 20 minutes neither, cause Gorges/Subban and Markov/Yemelin will eat alot of icetime and 3rd pairing of Kaberle and X would be 18 minutes at most (just a wild guess).

O Brien is not ideal by any means.

But he's better than Sarich.

I think Sarich is completely washed up. I don't think he's got anything left in the tank at this point in his career.

Not a current day rumour but I was listening to HC @ Noon today where they were discussing an old draft day deal that was nearly done between the Habs and Leafs back in 1990 that would've seen Wendel Clark and Gary Leeman go to Montreal for Shayne Corson and Claude Lemieux. (There haven't been many rumours in here lately, at least this is something that actually was discussed...)

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/fan590_hockeycentral/~3/SeGN3T0QzKc/hc_20120618_125945--Hockey-Central-@-Noon---Day.mp3 (Starts around the 33:30 mark)

After that they talk about the Habs and the draft for a bit as well if anyone's interested.

With Markov/Kaberle/Diaz/Weber/Gorges you have one soft group of defenders and Subban is too small to clear anyone from front of net, and Yemelin also is no crease clearer but at least can hit.

And we already have enough shot blockers coming over next couple years in Pateryn/Ellis and Tinordi. But for 2012-13 they have to have at least 1 d-man who can or is willing drop the gloves in defense of Price and smaller forwards; period.

You need at least 1 who can fight, dont care if he cant play 20 minutes neither, cause Gorges/Subban and Markov/Yemelin will eat alot of icetime and 3rd pairing of Kaberle and X would be 18 minutes at most (just a wild guess).

I'm not passing up on shot blockers now because there could be guys a few years down the road (I like Pateryn but I don't think he even sniffs the NHL). Can Yemelin play 20 minutes? Maybe, same for Diaz? Markov? Probably not, they'll still want to take it easy with him. Kaberle can't either obviously. So we're back to 2 guys who legitimately deserve and have demonstrated they can handle that ice time. So a 16-18 minute guy like O'Brien probably doesn't help in terms of taking pressure off the other D. I don't mind a D who can fight (heck, I liked Mara in his stints with the Habs) but I don't want one whose best attribute is fighting. It is with O'Brien which is probably one of the reasons why he's bounced around a ton the last few years.

O Brien is not ideal by any means.

But he's better than Sarich.

I think Sarich is completely washed up. I don't think he's got anything left in the tank at this point in his career.

I wouldn't remotely consider either of them. To be honest, there aren't many D I like (you've mentioned Salvador but I don't want to be the team dumb enough to give him 4+ million) on the market. If healthy, Radek Martinek would be my pick for a 5/6 guy, someone who's decent in his own zone, plays a D first game (takes some heat off Kaberle), wouldn't cost a ton, and can log 19-20 minutes.

Team 1200 in Ottawa says Rangers are agressively shopping dubinsky.

10 goals, 34 points, 4.2 million cap hit... three years left.

Do not want.

He can do better than last year, but - we have enough 'OK' centremen. To my mind, we either swing for the fences and at last get a bona-fide stud centreman, or we accept the Pleks-DD-Eller configuration and focus on getting stronger wingers. We don't need more 50-point C.

• Upvote 1

Could Kane with a reputation of a party happy young man survive in the Montreal media? Probably not unless the organization can surround him with good mentors. Other then that, he would be a good addition. Will not hold my breath on it happening.

Could Kane with a reputation of a party happy young man survive in the Montreal media? Probably not unless the organization can surround him with good mentors. Other then that, he would be a good addition. Will not hold my breath on it happening.

Imagine he and pacth on the LW for years to come?

Wow

Team 1200 in Ottawa says Rangers are agressively shopping dubinsky. 10 goals, 34 points, 4.2 million cap hit... three years left. Do not want.
]

Yep, we already one took one of the worst contracts in hockey off of Sather's hands, we don't need to repeat the same mistake.

That'd be great, but who are we sending back? That is the question.

I'd move a combo of any of the following prospects like Leblanc, Weber, Kristo, or even veterans like Kaberle, Bourque and even the Captain Gionta for Kane.

The guy i'd want to give up is Gomez but the chances of that happening are worse then me winning the Super 7!

I'd move a combo of any of the following prospects like Leblanc, Weber, Kristo, or even veterans like Kaberle, Bourque and even the Captain Gionta for Kane.

The guy i'd want to give up is Gomez but the chances of that happening are worse then me winning the Super 7!

Kane is a 22 year old LW who just scored 30 goals and 57 points. He's one year younger than Pacioretty.

If it was another team trying to get MaxPac, would you trade him for the package you just proposed?

Why are the Jets gonna give us Kane for a combo of those guys.

Kane is a 22 year old LW who just scored 30 goals and 57 points. He's one year younger than Pacioretty.

If it was another team trying to get MaxPac, would you trade him for the package you just proposed?

Why are the Jets gonna give us Kane for a combo of those guys.

I think the Jets are a team that needs a guy who's won and can provide a good leadership and Kane is a guy who's seen as a bad apple, teams make stupid decisions in those circumstances. Hell the day the Gomez trade was announced I said this is as bad as the Roy trade, how could Gainey do something so incredibly stupid (I remember a lot of people here getting on my case, on what a wonderful skater, stick handler, winner, leader Gomez would be), so I don't think its out of the realm of possibility of getting a guy like Kane who has some baggage if Winnipeg can fill other needs. IMO Gionta, along with prospects like Kristo/Leblanc and Weber on defense is something they would at least think about and is certainly a much better return for Winnepeg than the return that "In Gainey we Trust" gave up for that over paid bum Gomez, who many on this site defended during his entire career in montreal constantly spouting crap like the bad luck, wingers not converting their chances as the reason Gomez's numbers were bad and kept pointing out the "great" CORSI" numbers Gomez had.

Yes everyone is just dying to make mistakes and give us good young players for scraps. Just cause there are some bad trades in NHL history doesnt mean every proposal made in the future is possible cause hey the gomez deal happened.

Besides all that Dreger just said the rumor is bogus and the Jets are trying to sign him

Yes everyone is just dying to make mistakes and give us good young players for scraps.

Besides all that Dreger just said the rumor is bogus and the Jets are trying to sign him

Yep, just like Gainey was dying to make mistakes and give our best prospect to the NYR's :rolleyes:

Yep, just like Gainey was dying to make mistakes and give our best prospect to the NYR's :rolleyes:

One bad trade happening 3 years ago doesnt mean that offering crap for a 22 year old 30 goal scorer is realistic.

I think all that Habs29 is saying is that he'd be kicking the tires on Kane, is willing to move a second-tier vet like Gio, but isn't willing to surrender high-value targets such as Subban, Patches, or our 3rd-overall pick. That's a reasonable approach but certainly not one likely to bring back Kane unless the Jets have a brain cramp.

I can certainly see the Jets demanding the 3rd overall pick back at least.

I am confused, which Kane are you all thinking may be available? Kane in Chicago or Kane in Winipeg? I was thinking Kane in Chicago has the reputation of a man who likes to party and may be available for the right deal. I do not see Winipeg trying to find a trade for their Kane.

I am confused, which Kane are you all thinking may be available? Kane in Chicago or Kane in Winipeg? I was thinking Kane in Chicago has the reputation of a man who likes to party and may be available for the right deal. I do not see Winipeg trying to find a trade for their Kane.

The original rumour cited Evander Kane - the Jets' guy.