Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

If the cost is that low. They'd be insane not to give a former first overall his first change of scenery. Edmonton as an organization is finally arising from purgatory. I don't think any one player can be completely saturated by this. Is there really anyone that would rather have DD than Yakupov on this roster?

Desharnais Pateryn vs Yakupov Oesterle

Fail for Nail. He was doomed lol

Even up, I would take Desharnais over Yakupov, a guy who averages 50pts over one who is more like 30 and both contracts up at end of year.

Even up, I would take Desharnais over Yakupov, a guy who averages 50pts over one who is more like 30 and both contracts up at end of year.

Well, the assumption is obviously that Yakupov has potential to be more than a 30-point guy. What's odd to me is that he had 31 points in 48 games in his first year in the league - results compatible with a first-overall pick. What the hell happened after that? Is he yet another case of a guy spoiled by Edmonton, or is there a deeper problem with his game?

Yak is a standing warning, incidentally, to the 'Tank' crowd. Even the consensus first overall pick can sometimes bust.

Guest Stogey24

Desharnais didn't even crack 30 pts last year. A strong sneeze can knock him off the puck.

The Rumour was Bergevin fought tooth and nail to get rid of him, but no one wants him. He'll be one of the guys hungry for a PTO at this time next year.

Yakupov put up 11pts in his first 14 games(Mcdavid helped), then got hurt and it was all down hill from there.

You'd have to be crazy not give this guy another chance. The potential is there, it may just be the atmosphere that's the issue.

Desharnais didn't even crack 30 pts last year. A strong sneeze can knock him off the puck.

The Rumour was Bergevin fought tooth and nail to get rid of him, but no one wants him. He'll be one of the guys hungry for a PTO at this time next year.

Yakupov put up 11pts in his first 14 games(Mcdavid helped), then got hurt and it was all down hill from there.

You'd have to be crazy not give this guy another chance. The potential is there, it may just be the atmosphere that's the issue.

8g 23pts all of last year isn't very good.

Desharnais already has a 60pt season and 240pts in 404 NHL games.

I would still go with track record over the potential of the other guy.

Well, the assumption is obviously that Yakupov has potential to be more than a 30-point guy. What's odd to me is that he had 31 points in 48 games in his first year in the league - results compatible with a first-overall pick. What the hell happened after that? Is he yet another case of a guy spoiled by Edmonton, or is there a deeper problem with his game?

Yak is a standing warning, incidentally, to the 'Tank' crowd. Even the consensus first overall pick can sometimes bust.

Serious problems...I've seen him play live a few times. He cherry picks at the blue line and tries to herky jerk his way through the neutral zone like a drunk PK Subban. He's a guy whose natural abilit is carried him through the lower leagues and now he struggles among professionals. That's not even talking about what he's about in his own end.

I would demand EDM eat salary in a trade for future considerations. He was playing more minutes with a better usage when he got those numbers. He's on their third line now.

Guest Stogey24

8g 23pts all of last year isn't very good.

Desharnais already has a 60pt season and 240pts in 404 NHL games.

I would still go with track record over the potential of the other guy.

Alex Semin also had an 84pt season. What does that mean now?

Your telling me you wouldn't trade Desharnais for Yakupov, contracts aside?

23pts vs 29pts.

Desharnais averages 49pts/season; vs 36 and a 23 pt season last year, so like I said I will go with the proven centre, over a kid who seemed to of peaked when was a rookie and also seems headed for the KHL sooner than later.

You can try and crap on Desharnais, but lb for lb he is the better player. Not that I will be sad to see him gone next year and do hope that one of the youngsters can step up to replace him.

Maybe as EOTP writer (P. Bixelle) also points out RE: Reway, difference between a Yakupov and a Gallagher or Desharnais is gumption.

"In the Montreal organization there are a few good models to follow: Brendan Gallagher and David Desharnais. While all are unique players in their own right, those two have made it to the big stage with hard work ethic and smarts, and they give Réway a path to follow."

Desharnais averages 49pts/season; vs 36 and a 23 pt season last year, so like I said I will go with the proven centre, over a kid who seemed to of peaked when was a rookie and also seems headed for the KHL sooner than later.

You can try and crap on Desharnais, but lb for lb he is the better player. Not that I will be sad to see him gone next year and do hope that one of the youngsters can step up to replace him.

I think the point is as you say, we will be happy to see DD gone, whereas Yakupov has upside. I'm going to agree that DD has been the better player over the last 4 years, but Yakupov is young and could put it all together yet.

I think the point is as you say, we will be happy to see DD gone, whereas Yakupov has upside. I'm going to agree that DD has been the better player over the last 4 years, but Yakupov is young and could put it all together yet.

Hail Mary's haven't been working out real well for Bergevin and I get the sense that 29 other teams Pro-scouts arnt real impressed with Yakupov's ceiling anymore.

Guest Stogey24

Maybe as EOTP writer (P. Bixelle) also points out RE: Reway, difference between a Yakupov and a Gallagher or Desharnais is gumption.

"In the Montreal organization there are a few good models to follow: Brendan Gallagher and David Desharnais. While all are unique players in their own right, those two have made it to the big stage with hard work ethic and smarts, and they give Réway a path to follow."

Desharnais is proven to have put up 29 pts last year. That's where he stands. I don't care what he put up before, I watched the Habs from start to finish and Desharnais was one of the worst.

Saying you would keep a 30 year old, declining, 5'7 centre, that cant win a board battle to save his life. Over a 22 year old first overall pick, who has been on the worst team in the NHL since the day he was drafted is ridiculous.

No g.m in the nhl would take Desharnais over Yakupov. No g.m in the nhl would take Desharnais period.

I don't see Yakupov and Hall getting traded in the same season. Especially before the season starts. I would personally be fine with having Yakupov instead of Desharnais but it's not going to happen.

Desharnais is proven to have put up 29 pts last year. That's where he stands. I don't care what he put up before

Let me guess, you are also one who calls for Pacioretty to be traded when he dosent score for a week?

I've been a DD defender over the years. But his performance last season was not just a dip. It was a cataclysmic plunge off the face of the earth. Hopefully he can return to form, but I personally wouldn't give him that much rope; last year's player was a borderline NHLer at best.

Guest Stogey24

Let me guess, you are also one who calls for Pacioretty to be traded when he dosent score for a week?

We're not talking about Pacioretty. We're talking about a guy who went on a stretch of 40 games and netted 3 goals.

How you can defend this guy after the shit year he had is comical. I wouldn't expect anything less though

I've been a DD defender over the years. But his performance last season was not just a dip. It was a cataclysmic plunge off the face of the earth. Hopefully he can return to form, but I personally wouldn't give him that much rope; last year's player was a borderline NHLer at best.

I'm inclined to give him a bit of rope still. He has his limitations but I can't help but think back to early last season where him in a third line exploitation role worked. He's not going to have Weise and Fleischmann but whoever they have on that line should have some offensive punch with him. I don't think he's heading for a big scoring season but I think he can still be somewhat useful.

The one hesitation I'd have at moving him now is that the centre position would be woefully thin. You have Galchenyuk (assuming he stays there), Plekanec, and Mitchell as established players. Danault was good on draws with Montreal but was lousy on faceoffs in Chicago. McCarron didn't look ready for full-time duty last year and neither did de la Rose. (Flynn can also play there but Therrien prefers him on the wing while Shaw has spent a lot more time on the wing as well.) They had one centre to spare this offseason, moving a second without getting one back would make a bit of a hole without many internal options to fill it.

I'm inclined to give him a bit of rope still. He has his limitations but I can't help but think back to early last season where him in a third line exploitation role worked. He's not going to have Weise and Fleischmann but whoever they have on that line should have some offensive punch with him. I don't think he's heading for a big scoring season but I think he can still be somewhat useful.

The one hesitation I'd have at moving him now is that the centre position would be woefully thin. You have Galchenyuk (assuming he stays there), Plekanec, and Mitchell as established players. Danault was good on draws with Montreal but was lousy on faceoffs in Chicago. McCarron didn't look ready for full-time duty last year and neither did de la Rose. (Flynn can also play there but Therrien prefers him on the wing while Shaw has spent a lot more time on the wing as well.) They had one centre to spare this offseason, moving a second without getting one back would make a bit of a hole without many internal options to fill it.

So you get Letestu, too. Of course. :surrender:

Guest Stogey24

Ya, this team would crumble without Desharnais at centre.

His defensive game was shit anyways. Not worried about the mouse hole he leaves if he got traded

Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Mitchell, Danault, and Flynn is more than enough.

Flynn is honestly our best faceoff man. Therrien not playing him there was mind boggling.

The team is convinced Danault can replace Eller at 3C. There's no place for DD except the press box.

Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Mitchell, Danault, and Flynn is more than enough.

Flynn is honestly our best faceoff man. Therrien not playing him there was mind boggling.

The team is convinced Danault can replace Eller at 3C. There's no place for DD except the press box.

Centre is the most important forward spot and you're okay with basically three proven options? Danault is unproven (and may be better suited for the wing) while Flynn - who I agree should play centre - isn't for some reason. I'm not prepared to put Danault as a third line centre (and I'm more optimistic about him than some here are) while the thought of Mitchell as a 14-16 minute per game third liner isn't pretty. (Desharnais may not be that much more appealing but I'd take him over Mitchell; a Mitchell/Flynn 3-4 down the middle is going back to Buffalo when they were awful a couple of years ago and I'm not willingly signing up for that.)

Guest Stogey24

Centre is the most important forward spot and you're okay with basically three proven options? Danault is unproven (and may be better suited for the wing) while Flynn - who I agree should play centre - isn't for some reason. I'm not prepared to put Danault as a third line centre (and I'm more optimistic about him than some here are) while the thought of Mitchell as a 14-16 minute per game third liner isn't pretty. (Desharnais may not be that much more appealing but I'd take him over Mitchell; a Mitchell/Flynn 3-4 down the middle is going back to Buffalo when they were awful a couple of years ago and I'm not willingly signing up for that.)

And this team wasn't awful last year with Desharnais centring the third line?

Like this guy was a fringe NHLer at times last year, yet never saw any time in the pressbox. The guy gets presidential treatment because he's a French Canadian.

I figured he was tradeable with the term he has left on his contract, but apparently not. He should have been bought out.

And this team wasn't awful last year with Desharnais centring the third line?

Like this guy was a fringe NHLer at times last year, yet never saw any time in the pressbox. The guy gets presidential treatment because he's a French Canadian.

I figured he was tradeable with the term he has left on his contract, but apparently not. He should have been bought out.

When the team was at its best, Desharnais was doing quite well so I'm not ready to call him finished just yet. Yes, he fell off the proverbial cliff down the stretch but so did more than half the team. I'm not calling him a core player or anything and if the right deal comes around, of course he's expendable. But given the lack of proven depth at centre, I wouldn't want to just give him away to start the season, at least not without getting a proven centre back.

If and when Danault makes more of an impact and McCarron shows he's closer to being ready to contribute at more than a fourth line level, then I'd be more inclined to move him as the depth would then be better behind him. At that point of the year (closer to mid-season), it should be a lot easier to move him too.

Starting the season? Absolutely.

DD had 17 points in 25 games for October and November. Then his line dried up and he got moved to the top six when Gallagher got hurt. He followed that up and the rest of the season with 12 points in 40 games, some of those games with top six minutes. He needs to be as far away from the team as possible unless he spent the summer converting himself into a winger.

Even just the fact that Danault was doing a 56% faceoff percentage with mixed teammates in his final games tells me he'd be a better option for the third line role. If the team is really that afraid of their centre depth they got Andrew Shaw who has experience in the role and heck I'd rather see RJ Umberger in the spot than DD.

If they can't trade him I don't see any problem with the team having him on the bench as a veteran injury reserve guy but if Therrien is planning to walk into this season trying the three line attack with DD at the centre of one of the lines (Someone on another board posted Patch-DD-Rad/Danault-Plek-Ghetto/Shaw-Chuck-Gally and gave me a chill) then ohhhh boy this season won't begin very well for Montreal unlike last year's "Flash has 20 games of top six hockey in him and that's it" luck.