Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Even just the fact that Danault was doing a 56% faceoff percentage with mixed teammates in his final games tells me he'd be a better option for the third line role. If the team is really that afraid of their centre depth they got Andrew Shaw who has experience in the role and heck I'd rather see RJ Umberger in the spot than DD.

Danault with Montreal: 56.0% wins on 150 faceoffs

Danault with Chicago: 44.2% wins on 369 faceoffs

I'm not counting on that high faceoff rate to be the standard for Danault. I know they envision him at centre and I think in terms of his playing style it's the better fit but I think he may be one of those players who has to play on the wing for a bit before moving down the middle long-term.

44.2% ain't far away from what Desharnais was doing all season long.

yeah but Danault is where offense goes to die.

This team needs a third line that can get some points to make up for the fact that our top 6 is good but not in the class of the elite teams in the league.

To me that means something like

Carr - DD - Shaw

or

Lehkonen - DD - Shaw

DD has proven his ability to score... half a season doesn't change the fact that he has far more potential for scoring points than Danault.

Really he's the third best centre this team has, and I don't see anyone below him at close to the same level.

His biggest issue is that he's overpaid for what he brings, but there is no way to move the contract, so might as well play 3rd C

44.2% ain't far away from what Desharnais was doing all season long.

He was at 48.7% which was a career low for him and it was his first sub-50% year since 2011-12. That's still a much better track record than a few good weeks from Danault.

This team needs a third line that can get some points to make up for the fact that our top 6 is good but not in the class of the elite teams in the league.

Carr - DD - Shaw

or

Lehkonen - DD - Shaw

I'd like Lehkonen - DD - Shaw with Carr on 2nd line LW.

Carr - DD - Shaw

or

Lehkonen - DD - Shaw

Bingo. I wouldn't get rid of DD for Torrey Mitchell lite.

I think 99.99% of HabFans do not plan ever on buying a Desharnais jersey or would be too upset if he retired tomorrow. However, as it is...he is best we got at present and also when was centering the 3rd line he did very well.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at it, I don't see where a Beaulieu trade makes much sense. The Subban trade means that the Habs need 'transition' defencemen who can skate and move the puck. Other than Petry, this would now be N8's role; and several of have noted that Beaulieu is the only plausible candidate to be Weber's partner. So the Habs would need to trade Beaulieu for a player with a similar profile, i.e., a smooth skating puck moving LD. This raises the question: why would you trade him for another defenceman with an identical profile?

(Then again, I asked the same thing about rumours of a trade involving Subban: why trade a star #1 defenceman for another star #1 defenceman? Why bother with what is at best a lateral move? The answer is that it doesn't make sense, particularly, but the picture changes when you consider MB's apparent need to placate his hole buddy. The notion of refashioning a roster to please Michel Therrien is clinically insane, but one lesson in all this seems to be that if I think a given move makes no sense, Bergevin is disproportionately likely to do it).

On a less cranky note, I suppose some team that is rich in D might want to move a puck-moving LD for a younger, cheaper substitute (N8). Maybe that's the deal that gets made - a modest but more expensive upgrade on Beaulieu. Such a trade - the second in a row to make our D older - would further reinforce the suspicion that Bergevin is going all-in on winning in the next 2-3 years.

Interesting..

Im wondering if Fowler could be a point of interest for MB. Figure it would take more than Beaulieu to get him maybe a pick? Or even DD?

I like Nathan though he looks so pumped to start the season with us, I figure it would have to be a solid deal because like others have said he is going to be a big part of our team this year. Maybe the brass are not too confident in him from what they have seen from him years prior, which I can't completely disagree with but I was hoping this would be his year where he could put it together.

You can tell MB is thinking win right now not a couple years down the road

Interesting..

Im wondering if Fowler could be a point of interest for MB. Figure it would take more than Beaulieu to get him maybe a pick? Or even DD?

I like Nathan though he looks so pumped to start the season with us, I figure it would have to be a solid deal because like others have said he is going to be a big part of our team this year. Maybe the brass are not too confident in him from what they have seen from him years prior, which I can't completely disagree with but I was hoping this would be his year where he could put it together.

You can tell MB is thinking win right now not a couple years down the road

Desharnais isn't going to fetch Fowler or anything else of value in a deal by the looks of things. I don't think Anaheim would necessarily want Beaulieu either as their rationale for potentially moving Fowler is to save money to give Lindholm a bigger deal (not to mention potentially opening up a spot for someone like Theodore or Montour). They'd save this year but Beaulieu's new deal would at least in part offset the savings in 2017-18.

I could see Fowler still being a target but I think it would be more of a futures-type return (which means Montreal would have to make another deal to free up the cap space and Beaulieu alone wouldn't do that).

Looking at it, I don't see where a Beaulieu trade makes much sense. The Subban trade means that the Habs need 'transition' defencemen who can skate and move the puck. Other than Petry, this would now be N8's role; and several of have noted that Beaulieu is the only plausible candidate to be Weber's partner. So the Habs would need to trade Beaulieu for a player with a similar profile, i.e., a smooth skating puck moving LD. This raises the question: why would you trade him for another defenceman with an identical profile?

(Then again, I asked the same thing about rumours of a trade involving Subban: why trade a star #1 defenceman for another star #1 defenceman? When one is a bit of a dipshit and the other is a respected leader, that's most likely why.

Desharnais isn't going to fetch Fowler or anything else of value in a deal by the looks of things. I don't think Anaheim would necessarily want Beaulieu either as their rationale for potentially moving Fowler is to save money to give Lindholm a bigger deal (not to mention potentially opening up a spot for someone like Theodore or Montour). They'd save this year but Beaulieu's new deal would at least in part offset the savings in 2017-18.

I could see Fowler still being a target but I think it would be more of a futures-type return (which means Montreal would have to make another deal to free up the cap space and Beaulieu alone wouldn't do that).

That's true what do you think it would take to net a guy like Fowler in a trade with NB?

If I am correct I think the Anahiem GM is on team Canada with MB, maybe there are some bac door deals in the works, I have heard Shattenkirks name as well which St.Louis GM is also on team Canada.

That's true what do you think it would take to net a guy like Fowler in a trade with NB?

Fowler has been on the trade market since the trade deadline.

Anaheim has an open spot in their middle six (LW or RW maybe both) and already has a #1LD in Lindholm. Beaulieu works in that regard (he'd play second pair with Despres) but Anaheim would probably want an add at forward. The only place they don't need a forward is at centre.

Beaulieu + a winger they like not named Radulov/Pacioretty/Gallagher/Shaw for Fowler is probably the deal Anaheim is looking for. Dunno if Montreal has a winger they like enough.

If I am correct I think the Anahiem GM is on team Canada with MB, maybe there are some bac door deals in the works, I have heard Shattenkirks name as well which St.Louis GM is also on team Canada.

The asking price at the draft was believed to involve the #9 pick so I think you're looking at a top prospect like Scherbak plus something else. I don't think they want NHL guys as they're already going to be tight to the cap when they re-sign Lindholm and Rakell (they're $7.5M under currently and those two will eat up most of that). Yes, moving Fowler would open up another $4M but they're a budget team to begin with, not a cap spender.

Shattenkirk doesn't make as much sense for the Habs as Fowler would. Not only is he more expensive, he's a pending UFA (Fowler is two years away from UFA status), and he's a right shot D and they already have Weber and Petry on that side.