Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

10 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Apparently we are looking for a top 4 defence. Seems like a tall order, anyone got any ideas on who we would be looking at?

Edler, Muzzin, Zadorov, Goligoski or Brent Burns?

1 hour ago, DON said:

Edler, Muzzin, Zadorov, Goligoski or Brent Burns?

Of those, Muzzin, Goligoski, and Burns won't be available while Zadorov may be a top four AHL defenceman (but certainly not a top four NHL guy),  Edler may be available if Vancouver continues to struggle but he has a full no-trade clause.  Some seem to be speculating that Minnesota may move one to be able to protect seven forwards in the expansion draft but if the Habs were to add a top four d-man signed beyond this year, they'd be in a spot where they'd have to unprotect a good d-man or protect fewer forwards.  I think they'd prefer a rental player but I don't think there's a top four rental that's available for trade out there yet.

23 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Of those, Muzzin, Goligoski, and Burns won't be available while Zadorov may be a top four AHL defenceman (but certainly not a top four NHL guy),  Edler may be available if Vancouver continues to struggle but he has a full no-trade clause.  Some seem to be speculating that Minnesota may move one to be able to protect seven forwards in the expansion draft but if the Habs were to add a top four d-man signed beyond this year, they'd be in a spot where they'd have to unprotect a good d-man or protect fewer forwards.  I think they'd prefer a rental player but I don't think there's a top four rental that's available for trade out there yet.

yeah I haven't heard a lot of rumours about top 4 available. Other than Trouba and fowler but I do not believe we are after either one of them, Fowler maybe if we can absolutely steal him.

12 minutes ago, habs rule said:

yeah I haven't heard a lot of rumours about top 4 available. Other than Trouba and fowler but I do not believe we are after either one of them, Fowler maybe if we can absolutely steal him.

Back at the draft, the asking price was the 9th pick and something else.  They're not stealing Fowler, that's for sure.  (And with Despres out long-term, they don't have to deal him right away.)

With Fowler playing like their best defenseman so far this season I doubt they end up moving him regardless of the cap issues they face. 

I also think that from the Habs' perspective, a top 4 defenseman isn't as desperate a need as it seems. If the playoffs were today, I'd be a little bit troubled but Weber is helping anyone look like a legitimate #2 at the moment and Beaulieu has about half a season to demonstrate that he can grow into that role. If he can't step up to the plate, which I admit I thought he would, then there's always the trade deadline. There's really no desperate need to overpay for anything in the short term. If Fowler fell into our lap, fine, but once again I think that it's unlikely to happen from Anaheim's end as a result of the way Fowler has been playing. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

There is only one defenceman who meets the following criteria.

UFA on July 1st 2017

Left Handed

Plays 20 minutes or more for his team per game

Plays on a team that might be out of the playoff race by deadline.

Dmitry Kulikov of the Buffalo Sabres.   

That's it. 

Don't know that he's ideal though, on a good possession team (Carolina is pretty decent possession but gets garbage goaltending)... his corsi close is 41%, his fenwick close is 37%, and his zone starts are 50%

Kulikov still looks like the best option if you aren't committing multiple years. 

Just now, Commandant said:

Don't know that he's ideal though, on a good possession team (Carolina is pretty decent possession but gets garbage goaltending)... his corsi close is 41%, his fenwick close is 37%, and his zone starts are 50%

Kulikov still looks like the best option if you aren't committing multiple years. 

I agree Kulikov would be the better option but he'd also cost more to acquire.  I think on a team that actually has a chance of going somewhere, he might fare a bit better.  He's the under the radar type of player it seems like Bergevin likes at this time of year.

I think given the cap situation, if you get a guy who is a legit top 4 with multiple years that means the end of Markov.

A guy like Kulikov, if he performs well, could also be re-signed ala Petry (also meaning the end of Markov in Montreal).

If they're prepared to have a similar amount in their D for next season, Kulikov would certainly be a consideration (and a good fit, really).  At this stage though, I don't think Buffalo moves him any time soon so if Bergevin is looking for help more in the short-term, I think they'd have to look elsewhere.

19 minutes ago, DON said:

Desharnias looks to be healthy scratch tomorrow, Danault play 3rd centre and Andrighetto draw in.

But, but le Genius loves wee Davey, This cannot be true. Davey doesn't know where the hot dog stand is. He is gonna have to get directions.

41 minutes ago, DON said:

Desharnias looks to be healthy scratch tomorrow, Danault play 3rd centre and Andrighetto draw in.

Good. 

And I don't mean that in a "Screw Desharnais" sense, I mean that in a "It's been long overdue to rotate players in and out of the lineup because 3/4 of the team are playing like shit" sense.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I'll believe DD sitting when it actually happens MT loves that guy.

But Danault is French also and Bergevin maybe sees him as being around next year and Desharnais wont be?

I think Therrien likes winning more than he does any certain player.

Going back to last December, DD has put together almost a full season's worth of play that is not NHL calibre. The jig could be up with him. I can think of three explanations:

1. He has lost that extra edge he needs, the desire to really pay the price for success.

2. He has lost his confidence (which seems implausible to me, since guys like him who overcome all odds are generally fueled by enormous self-belief).

3. Never the fastest skater, he is no longer able to be effective in an NHL that keeps getting faster.

Whatever the case, it's looking more and more like this guy, who really was a useful player for a few years, has lost whatever it is that made him useful in the first place.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Going back to last December, DD has put together almost a full season's worth of play that is not NHL calibre. The jig could be up with him. I can think of three explanations:

1. He has lost that extra edge he needs, the desire to really pay the price for success.

2. He has lost his confidence (which seems implausible to me, since guys like him who overcome all odds are generally fueled by enormous self-belief).

3. Never the fastest skater, he is no longer able to be effective in an NHL that keeps getting faster.

Whatever the case, it's looking more and more like this guy, who really was a useful player for a few years, has lost whatever it is that made him useful in the first place.

I called Desharnais my whipping boy for this year back in the preseason and echoed that statement after the first game against Ottawa, he looks like garbage out there. Between falling over a dozen times a game, getting pushed off every puck battle, lackluster speed and zero finish, I don't know what it is he is bringing to this team. If he's not setting up Pacioretty, he is fairly useless. 

1 hour ago, illWill said:

I called Desharnais my whipping boy for this year back in the preseason and echoed that statement after the first game against Ottawa, he looks like garbage out there. Between falling over a dozen times a game, getting pushed off every puck battle, lackluster speed and zero finish, I don't know what it is he is bringing to this team. If he's not setting up Pacioretty, he is fairly useless. 

The team needs a shakeup at C.

There was a thread on here years ago and within it I was discussing all three of Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller and how one of them had to go. At the time, my choice was Desharnais and even with Eller already gone, my choice is still Desharnais. 

When you look at it statistically, Torrey Mitchell is our second leading offensive producing Center. The problem is that finding that second line stud is easier said than done because to acquire someone who'll have an impact as a second line center, you'll either have to draft him, lose a roster player in return, or dish out the money on free agency.

This is where Plekanec is getting overpaid at 6 mil. The issue is that I would like to hear a real, legitimate suggestion as to a player who can legitimately replace what Plekanec brings in terms of shutting down other team's elite players. It shouldn't simply go over our heads that players like Auston Matthews are held off the score sheet when they face the Montreal Canadiens (yes thank you Carey Price as well). It's a common theme though and something I hear all too often about Plekanec so I'm willing to buy in to the notion that he really is a pain in the neck of opposing teams. 

Plekanec is being overpaid but I'm not willing to overlook what he really does bring to the team. You know, in all honesty, maybe the mere fact that we do have a Carey Price in net should allow us to exchange a player of that ilk for a more offensive second line Center. 

It's a tough debate because when you look at it, the answers aren't easy. Heck, Plekanec has the exact same numbers as Krejci and Desharnais has the same number of points as Bergeron...

Desharnais had 4pts after 4gms and appeared to be doing just friggin fine with Shaw but...blanked since then.

However, we have seen him in huge slump before to only turn it around in Dec and 'sort of' tore it up for rest of that year.

So those who say he isn't NHL calibre are just piling on for sake of that, Parros or Scott were not NHL calibre players.

(not that I am sad at all to see Danault get a crack at 3rd line centre and Davie sit for at least one game)

On 11/10/2016 at 3:35 PM, DON said:

Desharnais had 4pts after 4gms and appeared to be doing just friggin fine with Shaw but...blanked since then.

However, we have seen him in huge slump before to only turn it around in Dec and 'sort of' tore it up for rest of that year.

So those who say he isn't NHL calibre are just piling on for sake of that, Parros or Scott were not NHL calibre players.

(not that I am sad at all to see Danault get a crack at 3rd line centre and Davie sit for at least one game)

Desharnais is notoriously streaky. He's cold right now, sitting him is the right move.

Don't forget, 2 assists in 19 games to start the season, then finishing the season with 50 or 60 points.