Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

56 minutes ago, Chris said:

You could waive DD and know one would pick him up.

And what good would that do? Seeing as the Habs have exactly zero extra NHL centremen, that is a weird post?

8 minutes ago, DON said:

And what good would that do? Seeing as the Habs have exactly zero extra NHL centremen, that is a weird post?

I believe the point of the comment was that you cannot give DD away.

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

should the Habs want to add more guaranteed salary for next season when they'll have Markov, Radulov, and Galchenyuk, among others, to re-sign or replace?

I don't think they should, I don't dislike DD's play or him so much that I want another slug for 2 years, need to get rid of deadwood, not gather it.

DD is useful enough, and liked enough by the team, that there would be no sense getting rid of him, only to add another problem with term.

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

McCarron and Desharnais (cap dump) for Hanzal. 

Hansel would be an awesome addition, but is it worth Mccarron? To me Mccarron is almost like a 8-9 year younger Hanzal.

Mayve Mccarron never reaches the 40 points per year Hanzel seems to get, but he could easily be a 30 point guy for the next 10 years. 

I'm also not sure why a team with Christian Dvorak, Dylan Strome, Clayton Keller, Ryan MacInnis, Christian Fischer, and Nick Merkley is looking for another young centre.

I think you could get him for a young player at another position too. Probably something like Juulsen. 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm also not sure why a team with Christian Dvorak, Dylan Strome, Clayton Keller, Ryan MacInnis, Christian Fischer, and Nick Merkley is looking for another young centre.

I think you could get him for a young player at another position too. Probably something like Juulsen. 

I think in general centres are more preferable than wingers simply for the potential for positional flexibility.  Either that or they think some of those guys are headed for the wing down the road.

They're not in bad shape defensively either - Ekman-Larsson/Goligoski are their veterans signed long-term while Murphy, DeAngelo, and Chychrun are their guys of the (near) future so I don't think they'd necessary prefer a D to a C.  Maybe they think centres in general are the most valuable commodity and are looking at it that way.

20 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I think in general centres are more preferable than wingers simply for the potential for positional flexibility.  Either that or they think some of those guys are headed for the wing down the road.

They're not in bad shape defensively either - Ekman-Larsson/Goligoski are their veterans signed long-term while Murphy, DeAngelo, and Chychrun are their guys of the (near) future so I don't think they'd necessary prefer a D to a C.  Maybe they think centres in general are the most valuable commodity and are looking at it that way.

I get the Centre vs Wing thing, and thats why I said a Juulsen instead of an Scherbak.

I think if they are looking for a good prospect... C vs D really shouldn't matter all that much if they are good enough.  McCarron is closer to NHL ready than Juulsen though, and if they want NHL ready that could be a factor. 

30 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I get the Centre vs Wing thing, and thats why I said a Juulsen instead of an Scherbak.

I think if they are looking for a good prospect... C vs D really shouldn't matter all that much if they are good enough.  McCarron is closer to NHL ready than Juulsen though, and if they want NHL ready that could be a factor. 

That has been the report. They want someone who can enter a lineup now.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Or perhaps my wish for this blockbuster is coming true:

to MTL

- John Tavares, C

- Travis Hamonic, D

to NYI

- Tomas Plekenac, C

- Daniel Carr, LW

- Nathan Beaulieu, D

- Michael MacCarron, C

- Nikita Scherbak, RW

- 2017 1st Round Pick

- 2018 1st Round Pick

- 2019 2nd Round Pick

I still think we should try to make a deal for Ryan Strome. 

I think you could buy low on him.  Similar to Yakupov.  Maybe a little bit more cost (2nd rounder + B level prospect = Lernout or De la Rose) instead of the 3rd rounder + contract ballast that got Yakupov moved. 

Tampa forwards that I would want to protect or that have nmc. Stamkos, Palat, Drouin, Johnson, Killorn, Kucherov, and maybe Namestnikov. I guess since they are a playoff team, they wouldn't trade for picks to protect players, but I wonder if we won't see that this year with some teams that have a lot of depth in certain positions. Availability might be good for loading up for playoffs.

I've long speculated that MB is going to pull off a trade before Christmas to improve this club, and he still could.  I'm still of the mindset he needs to get a defenseman but the top options right now (Trouba, Hamilton) will require a king's ransome that I'm not sure MB feels comfortable paying.  The other less sexy options (Wideman, Del Zotto) don't really improve the team all that much from what we currently have in the bottom pairing.

That being said, I think it's clear that MTL needs a second line centre since Plekanec has fallen down the depth chart and should play on the third line.  That upgrade at second line cenre is depth that I think will help Galchenyuk come playoff time.

So, what should MB target first: top-4 Dman OR 2nd-line Centre?

EK's latest rumour has MTL "all-in" to acquire Shane Doan.  If this were 2001, I'd be all over that!