Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

14 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

We're all pretty indoctrinated with the propaganda we were sold on Kostitsyn by the team in the aughts..

He wasn't even the best ranked European skater. Or second. He was behind Zherdev and Michalek. Had Vanek stayed in Europe he would have been fourth. Kostitsyn's "He might be top five" claim comes completely from a star showing in the U-18. People were high on him after that It but not high enough to select him ahead of the Europeans who were better than him all year. 

But I mean, at least he wasn't Hugh Jessiman so whee!

The real reason why people think Kostitsyn is so highly rated is because of one publication. Kyle Woodlief of Redline Report said this, "If I were the GM of an NHL team and I was absolutely and thoroughly convinced that Andrei Kastsitsyn's medical condition (epilepsy) was permanently under control through medication, he would be my choice. For me, the way he plays the game is just full of intensity and desire. It's one thing to have skills (and Kastsitsyn has an excellent skill level), but when you combine that with some real fire and commitment, then you have, in my opinion, the best real gamebreaker in the draft."

It was one guy, one scouting service calling him the best gamebreaker in the draft. If you look at all the rankings, Woodlief was an outlier.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The real reason why people think Kostitsyn is so highly rated is because of one publication. Kyle Woodlief of Redline Report said this, "If I were the GM of an NHL team and I was absolutely and thoroughly convinced that Andrei Kastsitsyn's medical condition (epilepsy) was permanently under control through medication, he would be my choice. For me, the way he plays the game is just full of intensity and desire. It's one thing to have skills (and Kastsitsyn has an excellent skill level), but when you combine that with some real fire and commitment, then you have, in my opinion, the best real gamebreaker in the draft."

It was one guy, one scouting service calling him the best gamebreaker in the draft. If you look at all the rankings, Woodlief was an outlier.  

This too, I recall that being the constant word being used about him. He was a "gamebreaker"

I was only 18 when he was drafted but I remember a lot of obsession over his U-18 performance. It happens every year with a guy breaking out in the U-18. I think he averaged three points per game or something crazy. 

The ironic thing about that scouting report is that intensity, desire,  fire, and commitment were all singularly absent from Kostitsyn's game, except for maybe 20 games per year. :wacko: You could not get a more muddled assessment. 

At this stage in his career he doesn't provide much of an upgrade to our top 9 IMO, with guys like Lehkonen, Byron, Shaw, Gallagher being the 2nd and 3rd liners (in whatever combo)... plus Desharnais and Sven for depth here. 

I wouldn't be interested in a winger.  Centre or Left Defence (puck mover) seem to be our biggest needs.

I agree that right wing is not a hole that needs to be filled, but I'd take him on my team any day. A hall of famer with one last chance at a cup is a motivated player. Shaw and Radulov can play other positions so it's not out of the realm of possibility 

1 hour ago, illWill said:

I agree that right wing is not a hole that needs to be filled, but I'd take him on my team any day. A hall of famer with one last chance at a cup is a motivated player. Shaw and Radulov can play other positions so it's not out of the realm of possibility 

Well he has 12 points in 48 games. How does he help us? We need offence not washed up slow wingers. His day has passed.

43 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Well he has 12 points in 48 games. How does he help us? We need offence not washed up slow wingers. His day has passed.

The cost to acquire him would be minimal, the only burden being if his cap hit affected us from getting someone better. The whole Avalanche team as a whole is underperforming, doesn't mean they can't produce individually. His leadership, motivation, shot and grittiness would help any team in the playoffs. He is not the Iggy of old but we are talking about a hall of famer here. A washed up Iginla is still an Iginla

1 hour ago, illWill said:

The cost to acquire him would be minimal, the only burden being if his cap hit affected us from getting someone better. The whole Avalanche team as a whole is underperforming, doesn't mean they can't produce individually. His leadership, motivation, shot and grittiness would help any team in the playoffs. He is not the Iggy of old but we are talking about a hall of famer here. A washed up Iginla is still an Iginla

Who would he bump out of the forwards? 

Several years ago in his last two playoffs with Bruins/Pitt he had 9g 19pts in 27gms.

The talk right now is that the Montreal Canadiens are trying to acquire a top six centre so they can move Alex Galchenyuk back to the wing. The goal is to eventually run lines something like:

Galchenyuk - Trade - Radulov

Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher

Byron/Desharnais - Plekanec - Shaw

Matt Duchene has been a rumoured target with Plekanec having to go back for the cap holding it up on Colorado's side.

17 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

The talk from where?  

McKenzie said 3 or 4  assets asked for by Aves; good young roster player, 1st pick, top prospect or some other combo.

35 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

The talk from where?  

Dreger:"I know that Bergevin and the Montreal Canadiens have interest in Matt Duchene. That’s not a secret. There’s been a fair bit of speculation on that front. But does he have the appetite or the stomach to pay the enormous asking price in-season for Matt Duchene. And then that’s what we don’t know."

Chuck to the wing comes from Therrien's comments of playing Desharnais with Galchenyuk (TSN Radio was talking about it as well), "In case he struggles we can play David at centre." The fact Montreal is in heavy talks to acquire a centre plus talk that they like Danault in the top six. It's clear that Therrien still doesn't trust Galchenyuk at centre and he gets what he wants in Montreal. They acquire Duchene, even with Plekanec going the other way, you'll likely see Galchenyuk at wing.

I mean, there's always the possibility they just flip Galchenyuk for Duchene. I've been saying that for a year now. Saves Bergevin the trouble of having to negotiate with him and Duchene fits Therrien better.

Chucky for Duchene that's a wild one and very interesting.

I wonder do you guys think that's a smart move? Chucky still has a lot of potential, sure he is having some growing pains defensively and on face-offs but you figure those are things he can work on. Duchene certainly has a lot of upside but I'm not too sure about this one.

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Dreger:"I know that Bergevin and the Montreal Canadiens have interest in Matt Duchene. That’s not a secret. There’s been a fair bit of speculation on that front. But does he have the appetite or the stomach to pay the enormous asking price in-season for Matt Duchene. And then that’s what we don’t know."

Chuck to the wing comes from Therrien's comments of playing Desharnais with Galchenyuk (TSN Radio was talking about it as well), "In case he struggles we can play David at centre." The fact Montreal is in heavy talks to acquire a centre plus talk that they like Danault in the top six. It's clear that Therrien still doesn't trust Galchenyuk at centre and he gets what he wants in Montreal. They acquire Duchene, even with Plekanec going the other way, you'll likely see Galchenyuk at wing.

I mean, there's always the possibility they just flip Galchenyuk for Duchene. I've been saying that for a year now. Saves Bergevin the trouble of having to negotiate with him and Duchene fits Therrien better.

How do you get they want Galchenyuk at wing over that? He's coming back from injury, that would be the only reason Desharnais would be mentioned about helping galchenyuk at centre.  

The entire reason Montreal is in talks about Duchene is because they're trying to win a cup and going all in makes a ton of sense right now. Not for the fact that they want Galchenyuk going to wing. That's just "talk" from you:)

Trading Galchenyuk for Duchene brings this team closer to a cup how?

2 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

How do you get they want Galchenyuk at wing over that? He's coming back from injury, that would be the only reason Desharnais would be mentioned about helping galchenyuk at centre.  

The entire reason Montreal is in talks about Duchene is because they're trying to win a cup and going all in makes a ton of sense right now. Not for the fact that they want Galchenyuk going to wing. That's just "talk" from you:)

Trading Galchenyuk for Duchene brings this team closer to a cup how?

I agree, this would make no sense. Galch is 4 years younger and will be a superstar.  Fugget about it. I coulsee trading plex and a pick or prospect.

15 hours ago, illWill said:

The reasons you use I used 3 years ago so I agree with them , but the team is built on speed, something he is seriously lacking in. Don makes a good point who you gonna take out to  put him in? No I think we pass.

46 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I heard Dreger yesterday mention they'd like a centre which could allow them to move Galchenyuk to the wing.

Is it possible that playing Galchenyuk at C makes him bigger risk for more knee injuries?

I never played hockey myself so I am not sure but is it possible that playing the wing will make it easier for him to stay away from bad hits that could reinjure his knees? It seems his kneeinjuries comes when he started playing C. Maybe I am wrong.

Guest Stogey24

Bergevin said himself that top tier centres are nearly impossible to acquire unlesss you sell the farm or build from within...

So I don't understand why he'd take his most precious commodity and put him back at wing. Makes absolutely zero sense. Especially on a team that has terrible centre depth.