Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Did a reporter ask Bergevin about Beaulieu and that was his response or did he just start talking about teams being interested in him? What's the context of Bergevin's statement?

Did a reporter ask Bergevin about Beaulieu and that was his response or did he just start talking about teams being interested in him? What's the context of Bergevin's statement?

I would imagine he was asked about Beaulieu specifically. That's not the type of thing a GM typically starts talking about at random.

Just because other teams call about a player, doesn't mean MB is "shopping" someone.

Like MB said, he along with other teams listen to offers when other GM's call.

People are probably reacting in part because this is *exactly* what Bergevin said prior to dealing Subban.

People are probably reacting in part because this is *exactly* what Bergevin said prior to dealing Subban.

Not 'exactly', Bergevin likely spoke about Subban and not Beaulieu prior to dealing Subban. Not sure why every thread you like to try and spin into a Subban one, but consistent and predictable I suppose. :popcorn:

Not 'exactly', Bergevin likely spoke about Subban and not Beaulieu prior to dealing Subban. Not sure why every thread you like to try and spin into a Subban one, but consistent and predictable I suppose. :popcorn:

I don't think he was trying to spin anything. Bergevin did say something very similar to these Beaulieu comments a few days before the Subban deal was done. Basically, he's not shopping the player but teams will call and make offers and he'll listen to them. That's more or less what he said here and what he said on the Thursday before the draft.

I don't think he was trying to spin anything. Bergevin did say something very similar to these Beaulieu comments a few days before the Subban deal was done. Basically, he's not shopping the player but teams will call and make offers and he'll listen to them. That's more or less what he said here and what he said on the Thursday before the draft.

"more or less" is different that *exactly* and it just is coincidence majority of one person's posts relate to Subban, no matter which thread or topic it is?

"more or less" is different that *exactly* and it just is coincidence majority of one person's posts relate to Subban, no matter which thread or topic it is?

Fair enough - Bergevin's quote from the Subban isn't verbatim to what his translated quote here was but it conveys the same message. I'd say it's a coincidence that it was CC who brought up the parallel - when I saw that tweet/quote this morning, the same thing ran through my head (that it reads a lot like the Subban comments pre-draft). I'm sure there were others on both sides of the trade that had a similar reaction - he was just the first to actually type it out here, that's all.

Fair enough - Bergevin's quote from the Subban isn't verbatim to what his translated quote here was but it conveys the same message. I'd say it's a coincidence that it was CC who brought up the parallel - when I saw that tweet/quote this morning, the same thing ran through my head (that it reads a lot like the Subban comments pre-draft). I'm sure there were others on both sides of the trade that had a similar reaction - he was just the first to actually type it out here, that's all.

I didn't read quote and for sake of argument, just a coincidence. But, if *obvious* cheap shots at Subban-trade Habs Mgmt (like this was) keep on-going, seems fair to call them out for what they really are? And Subban vs Beaulieu being traded...not even in same ballpark is it? I think Bergevin has made similar comments on most of his regular players hasn't he?

Don, with all due respect, I think you are missing the point here.

The fact that Bergevin's comment echos his I'm not shopping Subban quote, is not really an attack on management. Its just a fact that this comment does sound similar to one said prior to the Subban trade.

I don't see that as an attack, but an acknowledgment that yes Beaulieu is likely available.

Don, with all due respect, I think you are missing the point here.

The fact that Bergevin's comment echos his I'm not shopping Subban quote, is not really an attack on management. Its just a fact that this comment does sound similar to one said prior to the Subban trade.

I don't see that as an attack, but an acknowledgment that yes Beaulieu is likely available.

No not an attack, as I noted just a cheap shot (and if not, that is fine and nothing earth shattering). And as I also noted, GM say similar about vast majority (99.99%) of their players when asked by media, some might call it simply a cliché, no? Not, hey he said same thing about Subban, so must be some truth to it.

And is it also not true that some seem to end up relating every thread back to Subban, no matter which thread or topic is being discussed/debated. Which is fine, but expect (sorry to say, mostly lame) cheap shots at those posts.

Cant say anything else on quote because never read it, but Beaulieu is likely available is pretty weak, If Isles offered Tavares for Pacioretty, #67 would likely be quickly made available, as Sergachev would be for McDavid. So, safe to say that if offer is good enough, all players are available.

No not an attack, as I noted just a cheap shot (and if not, that is fine and nothing earth shattering). And as I also noted, GM say similar about vast majority (99.99%) of their players when asked by media, some might call it simply a cliché, no? Not, hey he said same thing about Subban, so must be some truth to it.

Would love to hear someone ask Bergevin about Price's trade availability. If we get the same "Not shopping, but you always listen" response instead of "Are you ing high?!?" then we'll know if it's a cliche for sure.

• Upvote 1

Anyways, if I am being overly belligerent :hammer: to CC, I would apologize; but, he is likely fed up and got me on 'ignore' anyways.

How bout that unstoppable rookie line of Lehkonen-McCarron-Scherbak...

To be honest a GM should always be listening to offers from teams, it's what a good GM does. Always striving to make his club better no matter what, GMs should not be fans in this regard.

If a team came looking for a player like Carey Price it would still make sense to listen to what he was offering none the less and it would be apparent if the team was looking for Price they better be ready to pay the pied piper.

Guest Stogey24

I thought he was supposed to be tough?

He's a beast out there. I just saw twice in the first game he didn't want to get hit the corner. He can sure dish em' out though