GDT: Edmonton vs Montreal, Feb. 17

bar

I don't know how bad that pinch was.. there were three habs back covering on that.. I know the CBC rambled on about it, but its not like he gave away an odd man rush.. the rush was over, just a bad play along the boards and Price was cheating off the post.

As much as our D is suffering, where is the offense. I understand that Gomez is playing with Moen, but Pleks has been invisible tonight (as has his wingers).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow.. fun sequence by Gomez and PK.. too bad no one can hit the net, but it was a nice play at least.

Let's hope Wiz is fine for Sunday or it might be ugly.Hammer looks wiped out.. too many minutes as the only vet D left on the team.

What BS.. the refs ignore too many men and a hit from behind... but they call us on the retaliation...maybe if they were not ignoring the slashes and crap from edmonton, pouliot wouldn't have to defend himself.

Well, my 3 Stars for tonight since I'm not writing a full article:

1) Weber - Almost 28 minutes of very solid two-way play, plus 4 shots

2) Gomez - Looked much, much better in this one, generated a lot of chances

3) Halpern - Well, the goal scorer has to be in the top-3

HM) Subban - Didn't like the pinch that led to the winner (he was going to be burned on it soon enough) but pretty good despite nearly playing half the game.

On that Subban goal, it's not so much the going for the hit part, but the fact he went about 25 feet towards the Edmonton net from the momentum. That caused him to be way too late coming back. I think that's what the CBC guys were going on about.

I'm proud of the D (well, not so much Nash who really struggled) but the 4 who played. They all played way more than they should and they were all gassed at the end. That's all you can ask when you're undermanned, empty the tank and hope it's enough.

Stats: http://www.nhl.com/s...11/ES020867.HTM

Well, my 3 Stars for tonight since I'm not writing a full article:

1) Weber - Almost 28 minutes of very solid two-way play, plus 4 shots

2) Gomez - Looked much, much better in this one, generated a lot of chances

3) Halpern - Well, the goal scorer has to be in the top-3

HM) Subban - Didn't like the pinch that led to the winner (he was going to be burned on it soon enough) but pretty good despite nearly playing half the game.

On that Subban goal, it's not so much the going for the hit part, but the fact he went about 25 feet towards the Edmonton net from the momentum. That caused him to be way too late coming back. I think that's what the CBC guys were going on about.

I'm proud of the D (well, not so much Nash who really struggled) but the 4 who played. They all played way more than they should and they were all gassed at the end. That's all you can ask when you're undermanned, empty the tank and hope it's enough.

Stats: http://www.nhl.com/s...11/ES020867.HTM

1) very impressive indeed. even at the end, he seemed to have energy left

2) not good enough

3) 1st goal on the road since November if i remember well RDS

HM) i can't imagine how we would look without Subban now

Sad to see us lose, especially considering how shaky Khabibulin was looking. Seems the Habs have the ability to make the opposite team look good. Old bulin end up with 1st star.. beurk

1) very impressive indeed. even at the end, he seemed to have energy left

2) not good enough

3) 1st goal on the road since November if i remember well RDS

HM) i can't imagine how we would look without Subban now

Sad to see us lose, especially considering how shaky Khabibulin was looking. Seems the Habs have the ability to make the opposite team look good. Old bulin end up with 1st star.. beurk

I hate how even when Gomez is the best forward on the ice, it's not good enough. There's objective criticism and then there's piling on; to me, this is the latter. Rather than bemoan the fact he didn't score, how about being happy he was the lone forward who played hard and well the whole game? It's baby steps but at least it's in the right direction...

As for Khabibulin, I played Roloson over him in the pool...ouch. :(

That trade for Mara is looking all the better. If he would of been in tonight it may have been a little bit different. We probably would of still lost but at least we would of had 5 dman going. Nash was useless out there and forced our guys to take a lot more minutes. Lets just hope that Wiz is back for sunday.

243455362.png?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1298006443&Signature=fV1ZxtCeyG8np%2BAHqWaBCY5G26w%3D

This is the picture of him in the Hospital tonight. Looks like it will require a few stitches, but he's fortunate it missed his eye and mouth. Then we would have been without him for a while.

Edited by Habsfan84

Ouch Wiz. Ugly cut.

btw.. did he take the pic himself??! That's my guess. Journalists don't have access + trainer would not take pic and send it to internet..

I hate how even when Gomez is the best forward on the ice, it's not good enough. There's objective criticism and then there's piling on; to me, this is the latter. Rather than bemoan the fact he didn't score, how about being happy he was the lone forward who played hard and well the whole game? It's baby steps but at least it's in the right direction...

2 baby steps tonight.. 50,000$/step ?

Ouch Wiz. Ugly cut.

btw.. did he take the pic himself??! That's my guess. Journalists don't have access + trainer would not take pic and send it to internet..

Ya i believe that is correct. They are saying that he put it up on facebook.

I don't understand why it takes until the last 15 minutes of a losing cause for JM to realize that Pleks isn't going and Gomez is.. We have two wingers and you have to put them with the guy who is going. He eventually does it, but it takes forever. Gomez should have been moved up to play with Gionta early in the 2nd.

Other nights, its obvious that Pleks is the guy, but right now we need a coach willing to adjust his game plan before we are losing.

I thought that aside from our horrible defense (remember this next time you hate on Spacek and Gill! They are the ones we are missing) The real difference maker in this game was Khabibulin. He was awesome tonight and kept the kids in the game. Habs were outright robbed 7 or 8 times. Gomez was great all night. Subban looked really good too. The attempted hit on Hall cost him, but if he levels Hall, we all love him. That's the way it goes. Weber is making a name for himself as a positionaly solid defenseman. I like him more than I liked Streit in the back end. Now if he could get some puck luck, he would be so much more dangerous. I hope Wiz and Cammie are back for Calgary.

PS. I'm glad I didn't drop 1200 on gas, hotel and gold seats for this stinker.

Gomez, Desharnais and Kostitsyn were our 3 best forwards. It tells a lot.

I will give you that Gomez had as much energy as anyone except maybe PK. As for being the best person on ice, I seen too many him against the world were he would just lose the puck. It would be nice if he could hit the net on occasion. Let me say this, if you think Gomez is your best player you better start selling.

Well that was pathetic. You can't show up for one period and score one goal and expect to win. 4 out of a possible 8 points against bottom feeders is not going to get you in the playoffs.

3 goals for against a hot dog vender the islanders put in net, couldn't even score in the shootout

2 goals against Buffalo who has a great goalie, decent back up but instead call up an AHl guy. Another point blown

1 goal against the worst team in the league and the 4th line got it. Not going to cut it.

The flames are on fire right now and Vancouver isn't a win for sure. The habs will need some help the next week or so.

The Habs played a reckless game when there was no need to.

The Edmonton D and forwards play so aggressive that if you had chipped and chased and forechecked diligently they would have provided enough opportunities to score.

They are a one trick pony at this point and that is why they are in last place. They have zero defensive responsibility and they are always looking to cheat or move towards the opposition goal. I saw ridiculous pinches, cross crease passes, stretch passes under pressure all creating positive opportunities for Montreal.

They are fast, but speed can easily be neutralized if a team plays undisciplined.

THAT is why the Subban pinch to hit Hall was absurdly dumb. To that point he had been a horse and the Oilers could not get around him and generate while he was on the ice. I don't need the idiots at CBC to point out how stupid it was, as soon as he did it I realized that it could be trouble with the Oilers transition speed. That is exactly the situation that team thrives on. I don't care if there were 3 men back to cover, two of them were forwards. Look at the two players that Eberle and Hall beat. Moen and Kostitsyn.

Add to that major breakdown you have Price blowing a stop where he makes the right save option but leans to the center for the pass letting it sneak under his arm.

If they had stayed patient in the 3rd the Oilers would have provided them 5-6 chances to win that game.

Injuries depleting their defense and moving away from the system have lead them to a mini slump that threatens to hurt their cushion over the next week. No team can sustain 4 of their 6 starting defensemen out of the lineup and if Gill, Spacek and Wiz aren't back soon this team could be in trouble for the first time this season.

Edited by Wamsley01

Well that was pathetic. You can't show up for one period and score one goal and expect to win. 4 out of a possible 8 points against bottom feeders is not going to get you in the playoffs.

3 goals for against a hot dog vender the islanders put in net, couldn't even score in the shootout

2 goals against Buffalo who has a great goalie, decent back up but instead call up an AHl guy. Another point blown

1 goal against the worst team in the league and the 4th line got it. Not going to cut it.

The flames are on fire right now and Vancouver isn't a win for sure. The habs will need some help the next week or so.

Haha I'll take that bet Chris...I say the Habs will beat the canucks...they are in a pickle with D problems as well!

Done, what are we betting this time?

They scored once against the worst team in the league.

They also scored 6 against the Bruins, the best defensive team in hockey. They gave up 8 mind you, but it is one game, it means nothing.

If you had bet that the Oilers couldn't win back to back because Khabibulin had lost 15 in a row, you would be WRONG.

THAT is why the Subban pinch to hit Hall was absurdly dumb. To that point he had been a horse and the Oilers could not get around him and generate while he was on the ice. I don't need the idiots at CBC to point out how stupid it was, as soon as he did it I realized that it could be trouble with the Oilers transition speed. That is exactly the situation that team thrives on. I don't care if there were 3 men back to cover, two of them were forwards. Look at the two players that Eberle and Hall beat. Moen and Kostitsyn.

haha I really think you're the best to blame players that have nothing against them on a goal.

Kostitsyn is the LW and when he backchecks we clearly see that he's after the 3rd player, which is excellent. Then Picard (or Nash, but looks like Picard) goes on the same player as Kostistyn instead of taking the guy in the middle, Eberle.

I give credit to Eberle on this goal, it was a nice shot. But the play shouldn't have happened at first place...

haha I really think you're the best to blame players that have nothing against them on a goal.

Kostitsyn is the LW and when he backchecks we clearly see that he's after the 3rd player, which is excellent. Then Picard (or Nash, but looks like Picard) goes on the same player as Kostistyn instead of taking the guy in the middle, Eberle.

I give credit to Eberle on this goal, it was a nice shot. But the play shouldn't have happened at first place...

I think the issue is, why did Subban go out of his way to take himself out of the play to hit Hall? If he plays it properly (safe), you don't run into the problem of who checks who, he's there to cover the rush which would have made it a normal 3-on-3. Aggression is all well and good but when you're basically rolling 2 pairings all night, that's the type of play you can't afford. It just stung more that 10 seconds later Eberle scored. Subban played a strong game, but that was a costly mistake.

The Habs played a reckless game when there was no need to.

The Edmonton D and forwards play so aggressive that if you had chipped and chased and forechecked diligently they would have provided enough opportunities to score.

They are a one trick pony at this point and that is why they are in last place. They have zero defensive responsibility and they are always looking to cheat or move towards the opposition goal. I saw ridiculous pinches, cross crease passes, stretch passes under pressure all creating positive opportunities for Montreal.

They are fast, but speed can easily be neutralized if a team plays undisciplined.

Add to that major breakdown you have Price blowing a stop where he makes the right save option but leans to the center for the pass letting it sneak under his arm.

If they had stayed patient in the 3rd the Oilers would have provided them 5-6 chances to win that game.

Injuries depleting their defense and moving away from the system have lead them to a mini slump that threatens to hurt their cushion over the next week. No team can sustain 4 of their 6 starting defensemen out of the lineup and if Gill, Spacek and Wiz aren't back soon this team could be in trouble for the first time this season.

You're right on all counts. It's not PK making a rookie mistake that troubles me, though, it's the reality captured in your last paragraph. If we go too long with these blueline injuries, we will be in very grave danger of missing the playoffs, and the season will go from good to disastrous in as little as two weeks. Word is Wiz could be gone for a month. Be afraid, folks. We are staring catastrophe right in the face.

It was a bad play by PK.

How much speed do the Oilers carry through the neutral zone if there are 4 white jerseys and 3 rushing Oilers?

That play would have resulted in a dump in or a turn over at the point, not a 3 on 3 with two forwards playing defense.

That is where the play broke down, all the rest is a result of the initial breakdown.

I have no problem with Moen or AK on the play because they did their best and were exposed as forwards playing defense.

PK made an unnecessary pinch that started the play and Price missed a stoppable shot.

Instead of worrying about one goal, focus on the fact that the habs scored 1 goal against the worst team in the league. All the Oilers needed to do was score 2 and it was gmae over.

The effort was piss poor at best.

So one play on who's fault it was is kind of irrelavant. They made mitakes all night and Price kept them in it.