Series Discussion: Habs vs Bruins

dlbalr

My prediction.... Habs in 5 and the Bruins don't score until game 3.

The refs call everything in game 1 resulting in 4 PP goals and a 6-0 blow out.

Game 2 Boston does a good job of being more disciplined, but Price steals a 2-0 win.

Game 3 Bruins finally hit the board midway through the 2nd, but lose 3-1

Game 4 facing a sweep the bruins play desperate hockey and eek out a 3-2 win.

Game 5 Boston tries goon tactics at home once agiain and get destroyed on the PP 4-1 Habs

I'm surprised no one has commended your ability to predict the future oh great Swammy..

All you gotta do is swap game 1 to game 5 and you may be on to something!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now it's time for the dirty stuff. Bruins down 0-2, I'd be very surprised if at least 1 of Montreal's players isn't injured on a dirty hit or play next game. I was kinda of hoping Montreal would lose game 2, because down 0-2, Julien's job on the line, all expectations on the line, the Bruins might take the attitude now, "if we can't win this round, they won't have the players to win the next round." Sadly, this Bruins team seem to have that vibe.

Look at last game when Wizneiwski hit Peverly from behind. Penalty, and Bruins screaming at the refs. Less than a minute later Horton (his name comes up alot in non-calls and dirty plays) drills Subban from behind. Subban has the puck, 2 refs looking right at it, no call.

In the first period, Lucic runs Wizneiski from behind, behind the net. His hands up high near Wizneiwski's neck, no call. A few minutes later Gill pushes Lucic and Lucic falls forward like Gill took a 20lb maul to his back, 2 minute interference call.

You think the Bruins aren't seeing their getting away with these dangerous plays and Montreal is getting called for these? Subban did turn his back to the play like I'm always saying players need to stop, but Wizneiski was skating away from pressure. It's obvious in the first 2 games the Bruins are the dirtier team, but it looks like the refs are trying to keep the penalty ratio close. Penalties are 8 - 7 against Montreal, even though I've personally picked out 4 obvious non-calls in Boston's favor in 2 games. Unless the refs smarten up, someone is going to get hurt, and it's probably going to be Horton or Lucic running Price with intent to injure.

I want the fans in Montreal to make Montreal feel very hostile and bad for the Bruin players to spend their days in. Boo them on the streets, boo them anyplace they go. Make them focus on anything BUT the games. Show them what their goon actings give them after what they did this season against us. Maybe shouldnt listen to Lamb of God when posting... I dont know :D

I like the tact that the Habs themselves are taking with regards to this series. One game at a time, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. 2 wins is not 4.

Don't get me wrong I'm really excited and confident in our team but as we all know " on any night, anything can happen "

Lets win round 1 and go from there.

It's been an outstanding 2 games though. Defiantly worth a dancing banana, which doesn't seem to be working right now.

Hmmmmm? I'm a fan, I don't need to take it one game at a time. My attitude and absolutely-meaningless-fanly-musings have no impact on the series whatsoever. Just speculating about future match ups, which I think is a very interesting question right now.

I'd be curious to hear others' opinions on the matter as per my post above.

I want the fans in Montreal to make Montreal feel very hostile and bad for the Bruin players to spend their days in. Boo them on the streets, boo them anyplace they go. Make them focus on anything BUT the games. Show them what their goon actings give them after what they did this season against us. Maybe shouldnt listen to Lamb of God when posting... I dont know :D

That new testament took away so much of the fun stuff from the old alright... Should I pray for the Bruins at mass today? The challenge... :rastapop:

I'm glad Chara's other cheeks didn't turn up... :P

Edited by Toronthab

Hmmmmm? I'm a fan, I don't need to take it one game at a time. My attitude and absolutely-meaningless-fanly-musings have no impact on the series whatsoever. Just speculating about future match ups, which I think is a very interesting question right now.

I'd be curious to hear others' opinions on the matter as per my post above.

You can talk about whatever you want. Some people around here take it a little too seriously. As if this website and others like it have any effect on the outcomes of games. We all have opinions, let them fly I say.

So I'm studying Markov chains for my stochastics final exam tomorrow, so obviously every time it comes up I think about the Habs. This sucks.

But it made me realize that, if Markov returns and actually plays the full year, we actually have a legitimate Top-2 D with him and Subban. There are only a handful of defencemen duos in the league that would match up to them. Add to that Gorges, Spacek and Weber, and likely Gill (with what we've been hearing about his leadership and intelligence, you'd think they would retain him), that's not bad.

And I'm not saying Subban and Markov would play together, though they could, but just the fact that we would have those guys as our two best defencemen is awesome.

Just procrastinating :).

Can somebody please explain this to me:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Pacioretty+timed+Tweet+causes+uproar+cyberspace/4668608/story.html

THIS constitutes some horrible offensive act in today's NHL? An inocuous bit of harmless teasing about a guy's big nose?

More to the point: did Chara ever apologize publicly for attempted murder? Did Ferrence apologize for flipping the bird to habs' fans? Oh, right, those guys were just being rough and tumble gritty guys.

I'm not the paranoid type, but I swear there is some sort of double standard against the Habs when it comes to player behaviour. Other teams' players are allowed to be irritants, have some charisma and character, etc.. When the Habs do it, ooooo, it's scandalous I tells ya.

If PK and Patches were Leafs, they'd be national heroes. That tells you all you need to know about the perversely biased culture surrounding hockey and media.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Pacioretty+timed+Tweet+causes+uproar+cyberspace/4668608/story.html

THIS constitutes some horrible offensive act in today's NHL? An inocuous bit of harmless teasing about a guy's big nose?

More to the point: did Chara ever apologize publicly for attempted murder? Did Ferrence apologize for flipping the bird to habs' fans? Oh, right, those guys were just being rough and tumble gritty guys.

I'm not the paranoid type, but I swear there is some sort of double standard against the Habs when it comes to player behaviour. Other teams' players are allowed to be irritants, have some charisma and character, etc.. When the Habs do it, ooooo, it's scandalous I tells ya.

If PK and Patches were Leafs, they'd be national heroes. That tells you all you need to know about the perversely biased culture surrounding hockey and media.

Cherry trumpeted the virtues of Brad Marchand on Saturday after harping PK about respect from rookies for 6 months. The hypocrisy of it was absurd.

PK punches Lupul a fraction of a second too early and it is a cheap shot, Marchand drops his gloves and hits Plekanec with an uppercut while being held be a referee and it is gritty? Stupidity. It would be nice to get analysts with zero rooting interest.

http://www.montrealg...8608/story.html

Just another great example of the hockey media latching on to ANYTHING because it's a slow news day.

I don't really think there is a double standard though. If you look around you will find analysts, journalists and fans making arguments on both sides of the fence.

Same with Marchand's ridiculous pre game comments

Same with Ference's middle finger.

Same with Recchi's comments about Patches getting out of the hospital and enjoying a movie.

The interwebs is full of Canadiens fans and Bruins fans yipping at each other over nothing. It's like one big playground with one kid saying " MY dad is stronger than your dad, No my dad is stronger than your dad."

I don't know why anyone is demanding social responsibility from a group of hockey players.

They guys just laugh this stuff off, why can't we?

Just another great example of the hockey media latching on to ANYTHING because it's a slow news day.

I don't really think there is a double standard though. If you look around you will find analysts, journalists and fans making arguments on both sides of the fence.

Same with Recchi's comments about Patches getting out of the hospital and enjoying a movie.

The interwebs is full of Canadiens fans and Bruins fans yipping at each other over nothing. It's like one big playground with one kid saying " MY dad is stronger than your dad, No my dad is stronger than your dad."

I don't know why anyone is demanding social responsibility from a group of hockey players.

I wouldn't mind at all except that Pacthes felt the need to apologize for the remark. That's what I find completely daft. It WAS a harmless and funny little tweet. And yet he feels compelled to say sorry. Ridiculous.

I wouldn't mind at all except that Pacthes felt the need to apologize for the remark. That's what I find completely daft. It WAS a harmless and funny little tweet. And yet he feels compelled to say sorry. Ridiculous.

He felt the need to apologize because he was ( from what I gather ) bombarded by tweets or messages back.

The Bruins comments were made in interviews where there could be no immediate feedback. That came later when it was much easier to say nothing.

Just imagine Patches sitting at home and making a harmless tweet. Then minutes later it explodes.

I can understand his reasoning for apologizing. He's just taking the high road, and more accurately, back peddling a little.

No harm in that.

Marchand does have a big nose..... to match his mouth. Wish I was on Twitter.

That is bloggers and fans on messageboards, I didn't see ANYBODY outside of Montreal in the MSM defend PK Subban against the media attacks.

I have yet to see anybody call out Marchand for his lack of respect. I haven't seen anybody telling us how galling Ference tossing the middle finger is, yet I saw plenty of reports telling me how disrespectful shooting an arrow at the sky was after Subban scored an OT winner.

Anybody who lives within a Leaf fan region understands the hatred they hold towards Hab fans. Hab fans return the favour.

Now take your regular Habs suck discussion with your Leaf fan friends and begin to place those individuals into the national media. The CBC, TSN, Sportsnet etc are all Toronto centric (even though Sportsnet tries to regionalize). The natural tendency becomes a bias based on their personal viewpoint. They don't care if it is unprofessional, they use it to drive their narrative.

So in 1993 when the Habs won the Cup it became marginalized as a crap team being dragged to a title on the back of a superhero goaltender. Nevermind that the 93 Leafs team was deified as a scrappy underachieving team that almost realized a dream based on will and determination. The Habs had 102 points in 93, the Leafs had 99.

That is based on bias and the creation of narratives based upon that bias. Add in that the Leafs had been terrible for 20 years and their previous ineptitude was placed upon the 99 point 1993 squad even though that was not reality.

It is undeniable when you watch the CBC with Cherry, Milbury, Stock, Cole all of whom at one time or another have admitted their bias to long time rivals with the Habs.

It is just the reality of our media experience as Hab fans. Just like you have to come to accept that the Quebec media favours francophone players regardless of ability.

That is bloggers and fans on messageboards, I didn't see ANYBODY outside of Montreal in the MSM defend PK Subban against the media attacks.

I have yet to see anybody call out Marchand for his lack of respect. I haven't seen anybody telling us how galling Ference tossing the middle finger is, yet I saw plenty of reports telling me how disrespectful shooting an arrow at the sky was after Subban scored an OT winner.

Anybody who lives within a Leaf fan region understands the hatred they hold towards Hab fans. Hab fans return the favour.

Now take your regular Habs suck discussion with your Leaf fan friends and begin to place those individuals into the national media. The CBC, TSN, Sportsnet etc are all Toronto centric (even though Sportsnet tries to regionalize). The natural tendency becomes a bias based on their personal viewpoint. They don't care if it is unprofessional, they use it to drive their narrative.

So in 1993 when the Habs won the Cup it became marginalized as a crap team being dragged to a title on the back of a superhero goaltender. Nevermind that the 93 Leafs team was deified as a scrappy underachieving team that almost realized a dream based on will and determination. The Habs had 102 points in 93, the Leafs had 99.

That is based on bias and the creation of narratives based upon that bias. Add in that the Leafs had been terrible for 20 years and their previous ineptitude was placed upon the 99 point 1993 squad even though that was not reality.

It is undeniable when you watch the CBC with Cherry, Milbury, Stock, Cole all of whom at one time or another have admitted their bias to long time rivals with the Habs.

It is just the reality of our media experience as Hab fans. Just like you have to come to accept that the Quebec media favours francophone players regardless of ability.

Well said. The blogosphere and even local broadcasters who naturally have a huge homer bias are one thing; but on some level I can't seem to get over the spectacle of well-paid professional commentators on national broadcast networks acting like buffoonish fanboys of specific teams. OK, so Cherry is Cherry. I can accept that. But for the rest of them to allow their fan bias to contaminate their analysis is an insult to the viewer. You're being paid precisely NOT to be a mindless fan automatically parroting received wisdom, disliking the Habs, overtly pulling for the Leafs, etc.. In the case of this Bruins love from CBC, it's even more pathological, given how hard HNIC has pushed the 'rah rah Canada, go Canadian teams!' agenda over the last 20 years. Apparently Montreal is not in Canada. And these guys make six figure incomes and are hailed as 'experts.' Pathetic.

Well said. The blogosphere and even local broadcasters who naturally have a huge homer bias are one thing; but on some level I can't seem to get over the spectacle of well-paid professional commentators on national broadcast networks acting like buffoonish fanboys of specific teams. OK, so Cherry is Cherry. I can accept that. But for the rest of them to allow their fan bias to contaminate their analysis is an insult to the viewer. You're being paid precisely NOT to be a mindless fan automatically parroting received wisdom, disliking the Habs, overtly pulling for the Leafs, etc.. In the case of this Bruins love from CBC, it's even more pathological, given how hard HNIC has pushed the 'rah rah Canada, go Canadian teams!' agenda over the last 20 years. Apparently Montreal is not in Canada. And these guys make six figure incomes and are hailed as 'experts.' Pathetic.

The Bruins thing is stupid. I understand Cherry, the guy was different and has become an institution.

Milbury and Stock? Neither of them add anything but buffoonery to the telecast. If they actually provided insight I could tolerate, but they are just noise.

But even Cherry, the once Bruins coach, can have something negative to say about the Bruins.

He's kinda crazy, I get that, but even in the last few games I've heard him say good things about Halpern or Cammalleri for example.

Cherry will pull for a good ol'boy from Manitoba or Thunder Bay regardless of which team he plays for. Block a shot and you're in his good books.

For all his Subban bashing, he'll turn around and tell us how great of a player he'll be one day.

I've heard the others talk about the laziness of the Bruins in the first two games, not getting to the net etc.

This leads me to think that some of these commentators are simply not as biased as some would have us believe.

Add to that, when a team is losing, it's very easy for analysts to focus on the short comings of that team. For the last 3 games it has been Montreal.

Would it be more fair for Milbury or Stock to fly the flag of Montreal? No.

With most things, sports analysis included, I think the negative comments stick more with the fans. Is it not possible that we are, even in a small way, remembering the bad times more than the good?

I don't get the impression that this entire year has been nothing more than MTL bashing from the sports media.

In regards to the media discussion I constantly find NBC the most Sober of all of them, and although Tsn has their moments they are way closer to the center line then CBC , the bad thing I have to say about Tsn isnt anything Montreal related, it's that year after year their do called insightful picks of who is going to win any given series is constantly based simply on standings. You can get someone who has never watched a hockey game in their life to look at the standings and say Vancouver is headed to the finals because they were great in the regular season. I would like to hear actual analasys that goes beyond the surface.

And as far as rds goes, I can't understand too much French, but for my friends who do they tell me that their just as irrelevant as the rest, minus Joel Bouchard. Me personally hasn't forgiven Tremblay for his pathetic attempt at coaching and ruining our team, I was not a happy camper to see him on Rds.

Everytime these media discussions come up I rant on too much, so I'm gonna shut up and read the insightful comments above and following.

Go Habs go!!!!!!

Edited by SOOPAVILLIN

But even Cherry, the once Bruins coach, can have something negative to say about the Bruins.

He's kinda crazy, I get that, but even in the last few games I've heard him say good things about Halpern or Cammalleri for example.

Cherry will pull for a good ol'boy from Manitoba or Thunder Bay regardless of which team he plays for. Block a shot and you're in his good books.

For all his Subban bashing, he'll turn around and tell us how great of a player he'll be one day.

I've heard the others talk about the laziness of the Bruins in the first two games, not getting to the net etc.

This leads me to think that some of these commentators are simply not as biased as some would have us believe.

Add to that, when a team is losing, it's very easy for analysts to focus on the short comings of that team. For the last 3 games it has been Montreal.

Would it be more fair for Milbury or Stock to fly the flag of Montreal? No.

With most things, sports analysis included, I think the negative comments stick more with the fans. Is it not possible that we are, even in a small way, remembering the bad times more than the good?

I don't get the impression that this entire year has been nothing more than MTL bashing from the sports media.

Nobody said it was Hab bashing. It is a bias that manifests itself in nit picking and hypocrisy. Subban gets maligned, Marchand does not. It is absurd that Cherry can sit on his pulpit and kickstart the whole national Subban hate and then praise Marchand, a player who shows ZERO respect for veterans.

It goes on in here, it goes on everywhere. When somebody dislikes Martin they look for reasons to show you why he is a failure, not reality or anything that supports the opposite view point. Halak/Price was filled with this bias styled analysis.

If the CBC and TSN/Sportsnet were centered in Montreal we would receive an entirely different perspective on these matters.

When you have a telecast that has four Boston alumni (Stock, Cherry, Galley, Milbury) an accused Leaf homer (Bob Cole), a Sens announcer (Dean Brown) and an ex Leaf (Healey) and announcer that works for Leafs TV and was born in Toronto (Greg Millen) the results shouldn't come as a surprise.

Edited by Wamsley01

"I just saw it and I know it looks really bad, but I can assure you that is not part of who I am," said Ference. "I apologize. That is not part of my repertoire. My glove got caught up there."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hzsSKrW9vcHtmp9bqMSn4jm0cb2Q?docId=6638192

"I did what I had to do," Recchi said. "Zee has taken a lot of heat, and I felt it was very important to get some focus elsewhere. I'm sorry if it hurt some people, but at the same time I think everybody knows my reputation for 22 years. ... I felt the need to protect our captain. It's important. That will be the end of it and you won't hear anything said by me anymore."

http://www.nesn.com/2011/03/mark-recchi-admits-comments-about-max-pacioretty-were-designed-to-take-heat-off-zdeno-chara.html

Nobody said it was Hab bashing. It is a bias that manifests itself in nit picking and hypocrisy. Subban gets maligned, Marchand does not. It is absurd that Cherry can sit on his pulpit and kickstart the whole national Subban hate and then praise Marchand, a player who shows ZERO respect for veterans.

It goes on in here, it goes on everywhere. When somebody dislikes Martin they look for reasons to show you why he is a failure, not reality or anything that supports the opposite view point. Halak/Price was filled with this bias styled analysis.

If the CBC and TSN/Sportsnet were centered in Montreal we would receive an entirely different perspective on these matters.

When you have a telecast that has four Boston alumni (Stock, Cherry, Galley, Milbury) an accused Leaf homer (Bob Cole), a Sens announcer (Dean Brown) and an ex Leaf (Healey) and announcer that works for Leafs TV and was born in Toronto (Greg Millen) the results shouldn't come as a surprise.

Bob Cole is supposedly a Habs fan. I can't find it written anywhere official but I've seen several message board posters claim that they have heard him admit this or that they heard this somewhere. (By the way, the "catch phrases" section of Cole's Wikipedia page is pretty funny.)

Edited by BTH

You are absolutely right Wams, these guys are Bruins Alumni and Leafs fans. When bias does happen I am not surprised in the least.

I just don't buy into the idea that it has been a constant and unmovable bias all season long. They do waffle on their opinions based on the outcome of games.

If the Habs were winning the series I suspect the analysis would be favored in Montreal's direction for the most part..

I don't want to come off as defending Cherry, because he is certainly nuts, but did he really kick start a whole national Subban hate-athon?

One guy has that much power and sway? He is one voice and there are many others who dislike Subban for his skill and confident attitude not to mention "other" reasons.

In the end these analysts are just human, of course they will carry bias like we all do. I accept that when I watch a game the commentary could be tilted.

It's for that reason alone that I try to watch RDS as much as possible. My french isn't so great, it bypasses most of that BS when you don't understand much of what is said.

While it might not always be reasonable for the media to take pot shots at the Canadiens, who can blame them?

24 cups, a dynasty and a very long track records of crushing the hopes of the other major hockey markets in eastern Canada and the United States.

No one likes a winner.

Edited by BrenDittero

You are absolutely right Wams, these guys are Bruins Alumni and Leafs fans. When bias does happen I am not surprised in the least.

I just don't buy into the idea that it has been a constant and unmovable bias all season long. They do waffle on their opinions based on the outcome of games.

If the Habs were winning the series I suspect the analysis would be favored in Montreal's direction for the most part..

I don't want to come off as defending Cherry, because he is certainly nuts, but did he really kick start a whole national Subban hate-athon?

One guy has that much power and sway? He is one voice and there are many others who dislike Subban for his skill and confident attitude not to mention "other" reasons.

In the end these analysts are just human, of course they will carry bias like we all do. I accept that when I watch a game the commentary could be tilted.

It's for that reason alone that I try to watch RDS as much as possible. My french isn't so great, it bypasses most of that BS when you don't understand much of what is said.

While it might not always be reasonable for the media to take pot shots at the Canadiens, who can blame them?

24 cups, a dynasty and a very long track records of crushing the hopes of the other major hockey markets in eastern Canada and the United States.

No one likes a winner.

It wouldn't be the first time that Cherry's rant became an accepted opinion.