Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

Don, the youngsters you talk about are all legitime future NHLers. I hope so anyway. But Big Mike should count as a legitimate prospect too. You need different kinds of players to make a team. McMarron has the potential to play a role that nobody (except Brandon Prust) is able to play currently. That's important too.

Be a sport Don. Give Big Mike some credit when he deserves it.

It's like me. I am not a fan of Plekanec, but I have to admit that he had a very good season, particularly in the 2nd half.

I doubt that he will be a big contributor in the series, but if he does I will stop complaining about him (not sure about that!). Trade DD instead! LOL

Gregoire is Captain of his team, is ripping up Q playoffs leading his team and has been 1st star in numerous games.

Reway is 1ppg game player in a mens league, not vs teenagers as McCarron is playing.

Scherbak has all the tools of a super skilled hockey player.

Why you not mention these guys and seem fixated on McCarron??

Don, the youngsters you talk about are all legitime future NHLers. I hope so anyway. But Big Mike should count as a legitimate prospect too. You need different kinds of players to make a team. McMarron has the potential to play a role that nobody (except Brandon Prust) is able to play currently. That's important too.

Because I dont care if he has a good playoffs, he should as an older junior, many overagers rip up the CHL but dont get drafted nor signed, simply because they are playing vs 16-17-18 year old kids and should dominate.

If McCarron had of made team USA and ripped up world juniors or even did well vs his "peers", but he didnt even make the cut.

He stunk it up last year, so at best he is a long shot to be an NHLer, so I dont have a "good feeling" he will amount to much at all!

Because I dont care if he has a good playoffs, he should as an older junior, many overagers rip up the CHL but dont get drafted nor signed, simply because they are playing vs 16-17-18 year old kids and should dominate.

If McCarron had of made team USA and ripped up world juniors or even did well vs his "peers", but he didnt even make the cut.

He stunk it up last year, so at best he is a long shot to be an NHLer, so I dont have a "good feeling" he will amount to much at all!

One bad year and he's a long shot to make the NHL.

Of course, players who go undrafted still make the NHL, guys who play in ECHL still make the NHL and guys who who have bad seasons in the NHL aren't doomed for the rest of their careers. Just first round picks it seems.

One bad year and he's a long shot to make the NHL.

Of course, players who go undrafted still make the NHL, guys who play in ECHL still make the NHL and guys who who have bad seasons in the NHL aren't doomed for the rest of their careers. Just first round picks it seems.

Yes hated the pick (so clouded judgement)! And like i say, my prognostication based on real scientific stuff.."feelings" that will bust big time. And most do, so odds are on my side to be correct and fairly safe to not be too positive on his future with Habs. (and large guys "seem" to bust even more often)

Low expectations lets just say!

Gregoire is Captain of his team, is ripping up Q playoffs leading his team and has been 1st star in numerous games.

Reway is 1ppg game player in a mens league, not vs teenagers as McCarron is playing.

Part of it is probably his first round status. Everyone knows who McCarron is...in large part due to his size and the fact he was somewhat of a controversial pick. Those guys get the most attention. Scherbak gets a fair amount of attention (though not as much as McCarron) while the other two are late round longshots.

I'm a Gregoire fan and he's likely to be one to shoot up the prospect rankings next year but he's nowhere near as well known as the 'big name' prospects so naturally he's going to be more under the radar.

Fucale hasn't lost in regulation in his last 8 starts (7-0-1), nice to see him get back on track.

Darn goalies??? Such a wildcard to pick.

Yes I know why McCarron basically can have his own thread and vast majority see a Tough Power Forward, which is missing from Habs and to say any other gets many HabFans perturbed.

But, till he stands out in AHL, I see him as a Ian Shultz/Conboy/Crisp/Nevins-type, with better pedigree, bit better hands and maybe skates better; which I still think will be his make/break quality. Can he be as good as a Brian Boyle, or just a John Scott (not quite that bad I doubt, but you know what I mean)?

I like the three guys you are talking about. And I sure hope that they will make it.

The best prospect is probably Scherbak. Some guys doubt his hockey sense, think he can't play his role defensively, but I am not worried about that. The kid has a passion for the game and great skills. Every scorer has to learn the defensive part of the game. I don't see why he would not be able to do that.

Reway is more enigmatic. First of all, he quit the Quebec League where he was doing very well to play in Europe. His decision was a disappointment for the Habs management, IMO. Only time will tell if it was a good move. He has great skills and is very fast. The «big» problem with him is obviously his size. «Trop petite» would say Scotty Bowman in French. I would rather say that it would be hard for him to find a spot in the line-up right now, with the likes of Galagher, DD and Plekanec filling important roles. We also have Andrighetto and Hudon in the minors; both of them are probably a bit ahead of him in their readiness to play in the NHL, but they are also small offensive players. Where do we play them if they make the team?

Being less talented than Scherbak and Reway, Grégoire will be probably easier to integrate in the currrent team. He is a dependable, disciplined player who already shows great qualities as a leader. He has size and excellent hockey sense. I see him play one or two years with the Dogs before moving with the big team. He might have a few recalls before that due to injuries, but I feel that he will need some time to be NHL-ready.

Now McCarron. It is absolutely true that Big Mike doesn't show the same level of skills than Reway, Scherbak, Hudon or Andrighetto. Even Grégoire might have a bit more ability. But the American has an asset that neither of them has, which is obviously incredible size. Of course, his career won't amount to anything if he can't skate, pivot, make a pass, a good shot or a solid check. We already know that he is a project. But a fine one IMO. Like I wrote numerous times, I have seen him play and I believe that his skating and hockey sense are good. He sure needs time to fill in his enormous body, to work on his agility and coordination. But the Habs are not on a hurry. He might take a year or two before being recalled (a bit like Grégoire), but he will make it. It's all a question of perception. I just feel good about him.

Agree with most of what you say, cept size thingy and fitting in to current roster.

By time a Reway is ready, Plekanec/DD may be gone and one of both of Hudon/Andrighetto may bust, traded or be no more than solid AHLer.

It is a common issue for many fans to try and fit/see current crop of draft eligible player or teams young prospects, into the current NHL roster.

That is normally only applicable for top picks who may be "NHL-ready" like Galchenyuk, of which the Habs do not have any in the system.

I say McCarron is akin to LL; who many thought, at worst he would make NHL as a solid bottom six checker. But kids also need to bring the consistent effort and mindset to make it, a la Gallagher who makes most good stuff happen through sheer tenacity and 2nd effort.

But basically we agree to disagree on the Big fellow's pro upside, which is fine and I hope I am wrong & you are correct! :thumbs_up:

Agree with most of what you say, cept size thingy and fitting in to current roster.

By time a Reway is ready, Plekanec/DD may be gone and one of both of Hudon/Andrighetto may bust, traded or be no more than solid AHLer.

It is a common issue for many fans to try and fit/see current crop of draft eligible player or teams young prospects, into the current NHL roster.

That is normally only applicable for top picks who may be "NHL-ready" like Galchenyuk, of which the Habs do not have any in the system.

I say McCarron is akin to LL; who many thought, at worst he would make NHL as a solid bottom six checker. But kids also need to bring the consistent effort and mindset to make it, a la Gallagher who makes most good stuff happen through sheer tenacity and 2nd effort.

But basically we agree to disagree on the Big fellow's pro upside, which is fine and I hope I am wrong & you are correct! :thumbs_up:

Fine with me. You are absolutely right to say that the team situation can change dramatically in a span of two to three years. But I believe that current management would like to build a team with more grit and size than we are used to see. That's why a guy like Sekac has been traded for Smith-Pelly. That's where a guy like Big Mike stands in the organization. Nobody knows for now if it will work or not. We disagree on the probabilities, but agree that it would be a desirable outcome. It's all right. What is best for the team will be very good for the fans. Thumbs up!

• Upvote 1

It is absolutely true that Big Mike doesn't show the same level of skills than Reway, Scherbak, Hudon or Andrighetto. Even Grégoire might have a bit more ability. But the American has an asset that neither of them has, which is obviously incredible size. Of course, his career won't amount to anything if he can't skate, pivot, make a pass, a good shot or a solid check. We already know that he is a project. But a fine one IMO. Like I wrote numerous times, I have seen him play and I believe that his skating and hockey sense are good. He sure needs time to fill in his enormous body, to work on his agility and coordination. But the Habs are not on a hurry. He might take a year or two before being recalled (a bit like Grégoire), but he will make it. It's all a question of perception. I just feel good about him.

It's pretty unfair to McCarron, a guy with 11 points in 10 playoff games with the Generals that the only worthwhile asset to mention is his size. He's definitely skilled. He always looks NHL ready when he plays in exhibition. I take stock in that over his play against junior players or anyone else's.

McCarron has size and strength as well as excellent hockey skills. Size can keep some guys in the NHL like Brian Boyle but skill is going to keep him on the Habs. The Reway's and Grégoire's of the world are a dime a dozen.

Unfair to say his size is only asset? I see the opposite, in that his size is more a detriment. If he was a bit smaller, quicker and more agile I would think he might have better shot.

But no question that extreme large size is very tantalizing for fans and GMs, but causes many poor choices to be made at draft.

It's pretty unfair to McCarron, a guy with 11 points in 10 playoff games with the Generals that the only worthwhile asset to mention is his size. He's definitely skilled. He always looks NHL ready when he plays in exhibition. I take stock in that over his play against junior players or anyone else's.

McCarron has size and strength as well as excellent hockey skills. Size can keep some guys in the NHL like Brian Boyle but skill is going to keep him on the Habs. The Reway's and Grégoire's of the world are a dime a dozen.

Hey! I never wrote that size is his only worthwhile asset. What I meant is that size is what makes him different from our other prospects. That's his main advantage against the competition. Like you do (and that's where we stand against Don) I believe that he already has good skills and hockey sense. It could be better, for sure, but he will probably improve in the minors. Big Mike is an excellent prospect in my view. No doubt in my mind.
  • Upvote 1

I thought at draft that he might be a "poor man's" Emile Pourier.

Who had 19g in rookie AHL year, so who knows he may be a near-equal to the Flames 22nd pick?

Lost 4-3 on OT, Gregoire may of played last junior game? He is 20 in Sept so I guess he could play one more, or turn pro.

12gms 10g 11a 21pts +12, well done. :thumbs_up:

Down to McCarron & Fucale left playing CHL playoffs.

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker