Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think the Habs drafted Florian thinking he could be more than a 4th line tough guy. When they drafted him he was 6' 1", 174 lbs hardly the physical characteristics of a guy you project to be a 4th line tough guy in the NHL.  I think they think his ceiling is higher than you think it is. 

I suspect you're right about that.  I don't see that yet but there was definitely a lot of projection in that pick.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

if he looks as good as RHP looked last year, at the same age, I will be happy. He is bigger (6'4"/194lbs vs 5'9" 184lbs) which would make him an interesting bottom-6.

RhP put up

76 points in 67 games

85 points in 66 games

78 points in 62 games

In his last 3 years of junior

Florian has

25 points in 68 games last year and

27 in 34 this year

One is 5'9 and one is 6'4

Other than being drafted by Montreal, how are they anything alike?  This is a terrible comparison.

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think the Habs drafted Florian thinking he could be more than a 4th line tough guy. When they drafted him he was 6' 1", 174 lbs hardly the physical characteristics of a guy you project to be a 4th line tough guy in the NHL.  I think they think his ceiling is higher than you think it is. 

He didnt grow 3 inches and 20 lbs over the 2 months of summer between being drafted and rookie camp.

The 6'1 number is from at least September 2022 and he grew the majority of that over the course of the 2022-23 season.  The Habs knew they were drafting a big boy.

23 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He didnt grow 3 inches and 20 lbs over the 2 months of summer between being drafted and rookie camp.

The 6'1 number is from at least September 2022 and he grew the majority of that over the course of the 2022-23 season.  The Habs knew they were drafting a big boy.

After reading the attached article, it seemed like he surprised a lot of people at training camp at the end of August by how much he had grown. Now I wish Lane would grow a couple inches. 

Surprise for the Canadiens concerning Florian Xhekaj (habsfanatics.com)

The journalists in the article... and i call people writing for Habs Fanatics, journalists very loosely..  (same as my site to be fair) were surprised.

I'm not sure the organization was.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

After reading the attached article, it seemed like he surprised a lot of people at training camp at the end of August by how much he had grown. Now I wish Lane would grow a couple inches. 

Surprise for the Canadiens concerning Florian Xhekaj (habsfanatics.com)

Didn't Lane come into the draft with some family medical records stating he may still have a late growth spurt?

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

The journalists in the article... and i call people writing for Habs Fanatics, journalists very loosely..  (same as my site to be fair) were surprised.

I'm not sure the organization was.

Perhaps that is true. I am guessing/hoping the Habs did their homework and expected a growth spurt or maybe he was in the middle of one when they drafted him. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Perhaps that is true. I am guessing/hoping the Habs did their homework and expected a growth spurt or maybe he was in the middle of one when they drafted him. 

While not impossible, 3 inches of growth in 2 months at age 19 is pretty rare.  Its much more likely that was a September 2022 height that was updated again in September 2023 at training camp. 

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Didn't Lane come into the draft with some family medical records stating he may still have a late growth spurt?

He did. I think he has grown a little since he was drafted, they have him listed now at 5' 10" but I think that is being a little generous. 

Owen Beck has officially been traded to Saginaw, the Memorial Cup host this year so he'll be in that event again.  Notably, that also takes away any possibility of a late-season stint with the Habs (and almost certainly Laval) had his junior team been eliminated late.

I don't think he's going to be the only Montreal junior prospect moved by this week's deadline (not including Miller who already was moved).  I think Florian Xhekaj will be on the move as well.

On 1/8/2024 at 6:43 PM, dlbalr said:

I don't think he's going to be the only Montreal junior prospect moved by this week's deadline (not including Miller who already was moved).  I think Florian Xhekaj will be on the move as well.

I'm not as confident in this as I was yesterday.  I had heard Brantford had something cooking with a Montreal player, leading me to assume Xhekaj was being moved, especially after they made a seller move earlier in the day.  It turns out it was the Bulldogs acquiring someone as they picked up Daniil Sobolev today.

Nice to hear Mailloux & Xhekaj working well as a pairing.

HW 3 Stars: December’s Top Prospects – HabsWorld.net

Beck plays his 1st game with Saginaw today.

Dont think Sobolov has a future with the Habs, but will he maybe get an AHL offer?

BULLDOGS ACQUIRE DANIIL SOBOLEV FROM ICEDOGS – Brantford Bulldogs (chl.ca)

image.png

1 hour ago, DON said:

Dont think Sobolov has a future with the Habs, but will he maybe get an AHL offer?

He doesn't need to be signed until June 1, 2025 ... another season and a half of development for him, and for the Habs young defencemen ... the "picture" may be very different by then

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

He doesn't need to be signed until June 1, 2025 ... another season and a half of development for him, and for the Habs young defencemen ... the "picture" may be very different by then

It may be, but he's very much a long shot. He was 43rd of 47 prospects in the 2022-23 Habs prospect rankings.

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/02/2022-23-habsworld-prospect-rankings-41-47/

Just now, tomh009 said:

It may be, but he's very much a long shot. He was 43rd of 47 prospects in the 2022-23 Habs prospect rankings.

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/02/2022-23-habsworld-prospect-rankings-41-47/

Predicting NOTHING ... just an observation that we won't really know for another year or more.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Predicting NOTHING ... just an observation that we won't really know for another year or more.

He has shown nothing to date indicating he will ever be a Hab, has he?

30 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

He's shown nothing in the OHL that suggests he will be anything more than an ECHL/AHL tweener.  I see no upside here and doubt he even gets a contract offer given the number of prospects we have. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

Sobolev 1g 4 shots

Xhekaj 1a 1 shot

Mesar 1a 5 shots

Beck 0 pts 3 shots

well, at least 😍Beck🤩 is trying to outshoot the other prospects :rolleyes:

boy, do I like that kid... I don't know why... :spamafote: ...It must be more than just his haircut ?! maybe the way he skates? :rolleyes: or is it the way he back-checks :nuts:

or the fact that he is named after my favorite non-alcoholic beer  🍻 🍺 🍻 🍺 🍻 🍺 🍻 🍺