Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

2 goals +1 for Dietz

2 assists for Thrower.

Saskatoon wins 14th straight game.

Dietz was -20 when the streak began. He's +1 now.

Can we put in an interview request to either Dietz or the Habs scout for his league?

I'd really like to get some insight into what happened.

Brady Vail is really struggling at the moment. He's -9 on the month (-4 yesterday) and now -20 on the season, which puts him in a tie for 556th in the OHL (out of 588). Offensively he also has tailed off with just 5 goals in his last 29 games.

Hudon had a good night though with a goal (SH) and an assist plus a shootout goal.

Dietz's goals from last night:

Can we put in an interview request to either Dietz or the Habs scout for his league?

I'd really like to get some insight into what happened.

You can try watching the Sportsnet "on the edge" show which is following Saskatoon around this season. Last nights episode brought us up to Christmas, so the next episode should be up to the start of the win streak.

Dietz's insane streak continues as he had a goal and an assist (+2) in yesterday's win. He has 9 points and is +8 in his last 4 games. His +/- for February is now +22. His goal last night was his 20th which leads the WHL (goals by d-men). Thrower also had a goal and an assist in the win. Dietz was first star, Thrower second star.

Hudon had another two point game with a goal and an assist. He now has 11 points in 4 games (after going pointless in 5).

Erik Nystrom had a 3 point game and now has 6 points in his last 5 contests. He is still playing in the 2nd level men's league, not the junior team he started the season with.

The North Dakota prospects also had good nights. Kristo had a goal and an assist while MacMillan had a goal and two helpers.

The Czech Extraliga's regular season has ended and Daniel Pribyl took some encouraging steps forward during the year. Last year, he had a pair of goals in 17 games with Sparta Praha, this year he finished with 12 goals and 10 assists in 42 games. The playoffs are next for him as his team finished 5th.

Andreas Engqvist's season has come to an end and he had a pretty good inaugural season in the KHL. He finished 2nd in Atlant scoring (tied for 1st according to the team's website which even with Google Translate which didn't translate names - his name in Russian is Энгквист Андреас if anyone's interested...) behind former NHL 1st rounder Nikolai Zherdev. He also led the team in faceoffs taken (by a mile) and was the only regular centre to post a faceoff rating about 50%, something that given his struggles with the Habs last year is quite the accomplishment. Is that enough to convince the Habs that he's worthy of another NHL look? It's hard to say but he didn't hurt his value this season at least.

Collberg had a goal today, snapping a 9 game pointless drought. Olivier Archambault is having a huge night, 2 goals and 2 assists early in the 3rd period against Hudon's team.

I think it would be a huge mistake not getting him back. Fans think for some reason that as soon as one puts on the uniform they must play like they are a star. I think of how long it took Plekanec to grow into what he is today. Roughly two weeks, many on this board would have traded Eller for a straw and a can of tuna. I don't hear that today. Engqvist not only has talent but he has that size we so desperately need. Sign him up.

I think it would be a huge mistake not getting him back. Fans think for some reason that as soon as one puts on the uniform they must play like they are a star. I think of how long it took Plekanec to grow into what he is today. Roughly two weeks, many on this board would have traded Eller for a straw and a can of tuna. I don't hear that today. Engqvist not only has talent but he has that size we so desperately need. Sign him up.

Just my gut feeling but I think his days are still numbered. With there no longer being entry waivers for teams re-signing their own players from European teams mid season, the Habs could sign him right now if they thought he could help. If they don't do so, it would imply to me they don't see him having much of a future.

Engqvist is nothing special. He might grow into a useful fourth liner, but thats about his ceiling. With Nokelainen coming back soon, and being the RH faceoff guy, i don't see the roster space for him.

Mark MacMillan has been quiet lately but had a good night yesterday with a pair of goals and an assist. That gives him 24 points on the season, surpassing last year's total in 9 fewer games. I found an article yesterday talking to him and his brother who both play for North Dakota, here it is if anyone's interested: http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?16615

Dietz was held pointless again but was +4 in a 4-1 win. He is now +8 on the year and +28 in his last 17 games.

Saskatoon's winning streak came to end with on OT loss. Thrower had zeroes across the board, Dietz had an assist and 7 PIMS. The assist equalled his career high in that category (set last season). Vail had an assist and was -3 in a 9-4 loss and yes, he was playing defence again. In fact, I expect him to play there for the rest of the year given their situation so his scoring and +/- numbers are really going to get ugly. Archambault is really making a case to get a contract by the June 1 deadline, he had a 3 point game (19 points in his last 12 GP).

Darren Dietz was named co-recipient of Saskatoon's defenceman of the year award (with Duncan Siemens).

It was a quiet day for Hab prospects in junior, Archambault had a goal, Vail (now playing centre again), an assist.

Magnus Nygren receives a nice honour as he won the Borje Salming trophy for top defenceman in the SEL. He is under contract to his club team for next year already although the Habs will likely have to sign him by June 1st (unless the new draft rules apply for already-drafted prospects) to retain his rights.

http://www.farjestadbk.se/artikel/34570/

Here's something that I didn't catch when reading over the summary of the new CBA that could very well affect the Habs in the weeks ahead. Previously, I've been referring to some contracts that collegiate players sign as 'burn contracts,' ones that allow an NCAA player to sign, play as little as one NHL game, and burn a year off of their ELC. I've long suspected that Kristo would aim to secure such a contract. Evidently, this has been eliminated in the new CBA.

Players may still join NHL teams late, receive signing bonuses and play, but that short stint will not count as a full year on an entry-level contract, according to the summary.

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2013/01/16/new-cba-unlikely-to-bring-relief-to-college-hockey/

Collberg back in the lineup... has an assist tonight.

He played on the 2nd line and added 3 shots as well. Not bad at all. There apparently was a bench clearing brawl (not my term, see the link below) in that game as well although it doesn't sound like much happened, mostly jersey grabbing.

https://twitter.com/Sz1909_Szemberg/status/312636721416257538

Every year, there is an OHL coaches poll where the coaches in each conference get to vote for the best players in certain categories. Brady Vail was voted as the 2nd best defensive forward in the conference - he finished behind Anaheim 1st rounder Rickard Rakell who won the award last year as well.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/ohl-western-conference-coaches-poll/140639

Final stats with notes for the Habs' CHL prospects as their respective seasons ended over the weekend:

OHL

Alex Galchenyuk (Sarnia): 33 GP, 27-34-61, +16, 22 PIMS (tied for team lead in +/-, also a career high; led the OHL in points-per-game)

Brady Vail (Windsor): 68 GP, 20-35-55, -23, 47 PIMS (career high in assists, points, led the team in SHG)

QMJHL

Olivier Archambault (Drummondville): 64 GP, 32-34-66, -6, 55 PIMS (career highs in all categories)

Charles Hudon (Chicoutimi): 56 GP, 30-41-71, +15, 66 PIMS (led the team in goals, points, and +/-, tied for the team lead in SHG; career highs in all categories aside from assists (tied) and +/-)

WHL

Tim Bozon (Kamloops): 69 GP, 36-55-91, +37, 58 PIMS (team leader in +/-, tied for team led in PPG, tied for 8th in league scoring; career highs across the board aside from goals - tied)

Darren Dietz (Saskatoon): 72 GP, 24-34-58, +9, 100 PIMS (team leader in goals, points by a defenceman, and PPG's, led all WHL blueliners in goals, 3rd overall in points; career highs in goals, assists, and points)

Dalton Thrower (Saskatoon): 54 GP, 6-21-27, +18, 89 PIMS (team leader in penalty minutes per game by a blueliner; career high in +/-)

I feel almost like we're spoiled when it comes to prospects.

In three years, are we going to have room for Galchenyuk/Collberg/Gallagher/Bozon/Hudon/Kristo/Leblanc/Dumont/Bournival? That's nine guys right there. Even if three bust, that's six to somehow fit into a top nine that will have Plekanec, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Prust, Moen and White taking spots. The team might be overflowing with forward prospects. And then you look over at the defence with Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Thrower, Dietz and Pateryn.

And then this years draft with six picks in the Top 90? What a wonderful problem.

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker