Injury news

Commandant

That's bad news re: Hoffman. He's an older guy and missing camp risks putting him a "step behind" once he does return. I've seen that kind of thing lead to a downward spiral (he struggles on return, moves down the depth chart, never wins the coaches' confidence, pretty soon wants out, etc., etc.). That's one possible scenario...or maybe he steps in just fine, we'll see.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That's bad news re: Hoffman. He's an older guy and missing camp risks putting him a "step behind" once he does return. I've seen that kind of thing lead to a downward spiral (he struggles on return, moves down the depth chart, never wins the coaches' confidence, pretty soon wants out, etc., etc.). That's one possible scenario...or maybe he steps in just fine, we'll see.

with the depth on the wings and how Dom manages his roster, I am sure he will get back and put in a position to succeed

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

with the depth on the wings and how Dom manages his roster, I am sure he will get back and put in a position to succeed

Until Evans, Paquette, Perrault or Poehling prove they can handle the offensive side of being the 3C with top 6 quality wingers (IMO Habs have 6 of those) it may bear difficult to put the 3lW/3RW in a position to succeed.

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Until Evans, Paquette, Perrault or Poehling prove they can handle the offensive side of being the 3C with top 6 quality wingers (IMO Habs have 6 of those) it may bear difficult to put the 3lW/3RW in a position to succeed.

I disagree

22 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I disagree

I know

😃

😉

3 hours ago, DON said:

The specific comment from Ducharme was that the four weeks was the worst case, and Hoffman might possibly be back a week or two earlier. It's a question of how quickly he will heal.

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

So much for him pushing for a spot in camp.

That sucks for Niki. There should have been a penalty AND supplemental discipline for that hit. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, DON said:

From the article ...

If you can believe it, Kulak has only played a total of 41:19 on the penalty kill over his entire regular-season tenure with the Canadiens. And despite his skating and puck-moving ability, he’s played less than eight minutes on the power play over that same period.

When Ducharme was asked why that was the case on Wednesday, the answer was somewhat hard to dispute.

“I think the offence he brings is off a rush, off a broken play,” Ducharme said. “He skates well, he can jump in. That’s where he can bring some offence.

“But we don’t see him as a quarterback on top of the power play.”

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

From the article ...

If you can believe it, Kulak has only played a total of 41:19 on the penalty kill over his entire regular-season tenure with the Canadiens. And despite his skating and puck-moving ability, he’s played less than eight minutes on the power play over that same period.

When Ducharme was asked why that was the case on Wednesday, the answer was somewhat hard to dispute.

“I think the offence he brings is off a rush, off a broken play,” Ducharme said. “He skates well, he can jump in. That’s where he can bring some offence.

“But we don’t see him as a quarterback on top of the power play.”

Have to agree

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Have to agree

I am missing something? What do you agree to?

Kulak's defending is sketchy and inconsistent and he has been given chances to shine, we all know that. 

Are you saying he should be used on special teams more? If so why?

41 minutes ago, DON said:

I am missing something? What do you agree to?

Kulak's defending is sketchy and inconsistent and he has been given chances to shine, we all know that. 

Are you saying he should be used on special teams more? If so why?

Agreeing with the only opinion expressed in the post, Ducharme's response to the question ... I agree that Kulak's offence (to whatever degree) comes off the rush and that he is not PP QB material.

One small step ... Hoffman back skating

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Agreeing with the only opinion expressed in the post, Ducharme's response to the question ... I agree that Kulak's offence (to whatever degree) comes off the rush and that he is not PP QB material.

Sure, OK.

Drouin and Niku both back on the ice with the team

Sami Niku is on IR retroactive to Oct. 1st.  Joel Edmundson's placement was retroactive to Oct. 2nd.  Players can't be activated off IR until at least seven days after their placement date so Niku is out for the opener on Wednesday.

While not announced by the Habs, Byron and Weber have been transferred to LTIR following today's season-opening roster announcement.  I believe Hoffman was as well which is a little surprising.  Those can be retroactive as well though.

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

... believe Hoffman was as well which is a little surprising ...

Hopefully it is not in any way indicative of the severity of his injury.

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Hopefully it is not in any way indicative of the severity of his injury.

I'm not certain about whether he's there or not.  He may have injured/non-roster designation as well; both are recorded the same from where I get my info from.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

While not announced by the Habs, Byron and Weber have been transferred to LTIR following today's season-opening roster announcement.  I believe Hoffman was as well which is a little surprising.  Those can be retroactive as well though.

That would imply that Hoffman would miss a minimum of 30 days/10 games, right?

Assuming that the pre-season games count for that, he would miss at least the first six games (first nine if the pre-season games are not counted).

8 hours ago, tomh009 said:

That would imply that Hoffman would miss a minimum of 30 days/10 games, right?

Assuming that the pre-season games count for that, he would miss at least the first six games (first nine if the pre-season games are not counted).

10 games/24 days.  Knowing he's supposed to be back next week - at least that's the plan - I'm hoping it's the injured/non-roster designation.

Simon-O. Lorange (La Press) with good news ... Hoffman skating and shooting.