Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Colorado wants impact players, especially if they're going to trade one of their top forwards. None of Kaberle, Weber, or Palushaj are impact players. Desharnais could be but isn't proven and I'm sure they'd prefer him over a 3rd rounder. I expect them to hold onto O'Reilly anyways, with him hurt at the moment there's not a huge rush to get a contract done anyways.

If Reilly isn't signing with the Avs what chance would we have given we played hardball with Subban?

In any case the Avs would have to be out of their minds to make a deal like that.

Well we could move him, hold back $2m of his salary. I know it's alot, but Kaberle @ $2.25m is a pretty good deal. It might be the difference between a buyout and getting an asset back. The good news is it would only be for 2 years so it'll be off our books by the time Subban is up for another deal. Think of it as reserving $2m for Subban's next contract.

Might be worth holding $2m back on Kaberle and packaging him to get a possible shot at Ryan O'Reilly. Not sure what kind of money he's looking for (EDIT: around $5m per) or if we can even sign him though. If we hold back $2m on Kaberle it brings our cap space near $5m for this season. Next season we will have White, DD, Armstrong, Noke, Budaj, Palushaj, Weber and Bouillon either to resign or let go.

To Colorado:

Kaberle @ $2.25m

Weber

Palushaj

Conditional 3rd, on O'Reilly signing OR DD

To Montreal:

O'Reilly's rights

Conditional 2nd, if O'Reilly doesn't sign OR Conditional 1st if O'Reilly doesn't sign and we trade DD.

Yeah, teams have made calls for O'Reilly and Colorado has ignored every one of them, even when the talk is of very good players going back in the deal. Colorado feels a bit burned by giving up Chris Stewart and Kevin Shattenkirk for Erik Johnson and Jay McClement and they don't want that to happen again.

That was one of those brain dead deals, that they should have known was going to blow up on them.

Yeah, teams have made calls for O'Reilly and Colorado has ignored every one of them, even when the talk is of very good players going back in the deal. Colorado feels a bit burned by giving up Chris Stewart and Kevin Shattenkirk for Erik Johnson and Jay McClement and they don't want that to happen again.

So just FYI, IF we were ever going to trade Eller and we wanted Edmonton to be our trading partner, now would be the time. Horcoff is out long-term, who plays 3rd line center, which is the only place Eller has ever proven himself. Oilers get a young defensive 3rd line center, to replace Horcoff long-term meaning past this season, we have a shot at an Omark(who expressed his desire last season to be traded) or Paajarvi. Seeing as the Oilers don't particularly need more scoring, Eller's flakeyness offensively would be alright. There's always that chance of a burst of scoring now and again, which he has shown.

This is not saying we should trade Eller, this is just pointing out an opportunity.

If we trade anyone that is on a high i say diaz. Not that he hurts our team i just feel we need to get bigger on the back end. Your not going to get much in return for weber or kab so i think he is the one that we should move that opens a spot for kabs to get some pts then maybe and i say maybe we can move him. We have ST. denis with the dogs that can play on our bottom pair and not look out of place.

So just FYI, IF we were ever going to trade Eller and we wanted Edmonton to be our trading partner, now would be the time. Horcoff is out long-term, who plays 3rd line center, which is the only place Eller has ever proven himself. Oilers get a young defensive 3rd line center, to replace Horcoff long-term meaning past this season, we have a shot at an Omark(who expressed his desire last season to be traded) or Paajarvi. Seeing as the Oilers don't particularly need more scoring, Eller's flakeyness offensively would be alright. There's always that chance of a burst of scoring now and again, which he has shown.

This is not saying we should trade Eller, this is just pointing out an opportunity.

Wait... Linus Omark? Really? Over Eller?

Wait... Linus Omark? Really? Over Eller?

Not a direct player-for-player trade, no. Omark isn't a player we can depend on for steady offense, but if we were to get him, say as "if you want Paajarvi your taking Omark with you," he's not that bad.

You trade Diaz and replace with Kaberle in the lineup... not only do you downgrade your PP and 5 on 5 IMO.

You also have 5 LH shooting defencemen and 1 RH shot in the lineup.

Depending on what u get back for diaz. If they give kab a longer look at the pp he still is a great passer. I agree with you on diaz being better then kab just saying we can get a good return for diaz that might make us a tougher team to play against we are small on d

The team needs a crease clearer but the only way that's getting traded for is if one of Markov/Subban/Gorges/Emelin/Boullion/Diaz gets hurt. Even then they might just stick with Kaberle. Next season, the crease clearer doesn't need to be signed or traded for. His name is Jarred Tinordi.

• Upvote 1

Replacing Diaz with Kaberle doesn't make us a bigger tougher team on D.

Kaberle is bigger then diaz, my point is trade diaz for a bigger stay at home d man we have enough puck movers and it also show cases kaberle for a possible trade

Ok, so trade Diaz

Then showcase Kaberle, then trade him.

And all of the sudden we don't have too many puckmovers any more.

You have two, Markov and Subban. Weber isn't good, Beaulieu isn't ready. So now you have too few puck movers and god forbid one of Markov/Subban get hurt, cause if they do, you are screwed.

Basically Diaz is needed. Just trade Kaberle (even if you keep a million in salary) or buy him out, and keep Diaz.... no need to overcomplicate the thing.

Kaberle is bigger then diaz, my point is trade diaz for a bigger stay at home d man we have enough puck movers and it also show cases kaberle for a possible trade

Kaberle is bigger than Diaz.

Diaz works harder than Kaberle.

Diaz is playing better than Kaberle with the puck this year.

Kaberle is about as good as a squirrel with an aneurysm in his own zone.

Diaz is showing chemistry with Markov.

Kaberle is showing chemistry with the press box.

Why are we trading Diaz while he's breaking out? Why on earth would we trade away Diaz then trade away Kaberle? I see no point in acquiring a stay at home defenseman when Tinordi is a year or 2 away from the NHL. Why trade away a future asset (Diaz) to plug a hole we don't currently have?

No way would I trade for Omark, let alone give up Eller for him. I like Pajaarvi, but given what both have shown at the NHL level, no way would I move Eller for him.

Why would you want to trade Diaz??? He is one of the dman I'd want to hang onto, while Kabale I'd the guy to dump or buyout. I see a team like the wings as being potential a good landing spot for Weber and I really think he would succeed there or with Philly or NJ.

If we trade anyone that is on a high i say diaz. Not that he hurts our team i just feel we need to get bigger on the back end. Your not going to get much in return for weber or kab so i think he is the one that we should move that opens a spot for kabs to get some pts then maybe and i say maybe we can move him. We have ST. denis with the dogs that can play on our bottom pair and not look out of place.

He may be bigger , but is much softer and even less dependable.

100% in agreement.

Kaberle is bigger than Diaz.

Diaz works harder than Kaberle.

Diaz is playing better than Kaberle with the puck this year.

Kaberle is about as good as a squirrel with an aneurysm in his own zone.

Diaz is showing chemistry with Markov.

Kaberle is showing chemistry with the press box.

Why are we trading Diaz while he's breaking out? Why on earth would we trade away Diaz then trade away Kaberle? I see no point in acquiring a stay at home defenseman when Tinordi is a year or 2 away from the NHL. Why trade away a future asset (Diaz) to plug a hole we don't currently have?

Tinordi is the crease clearer. Don't make any trade unless it makes you a Cup contender. This is a growing and building team right now, and unless we're top billing come deadline day, I don't see any reason to tinker unless someone gives you a sweetheart deal for Kaberle.

• Upvote 1

Tinordi is the crease clearer. Don't make any trade unless it makes you a Cup contender. This is a growing and building team right now, and unless we're top billing come deadline day, I don't see any reason to tinker unless someone gives you a sweetheart deal for Kaberle.

I agree, but I'd say if there is anyone willing to take Kaberle for a bag of pucks, I'd make the deal withoug blinking. Molson should also be happy saving the money.

I can see the 'sell high' argument, but trading Diaz is a puzzler. Why would you move a cheap d-man who logged substantial minutes and didn't look horrible as a rookie, and who has been surprisingly effective so far this season? Why write him off? Even supposing we got nibbles, what weakness is moving him supposed to address? If the Gal(l)ys stop producing we'll need a top-6 FW and barring a miracle Diaz won't bag you that. So I'm with Commandant on this too. Now Kaberle is another story - not that he's as useless as some say, but all the same, given his cap hit he's somewhat redundant.

Then again, one injury to Markov and the picture changes 100%. :pray:

I agree, but I'd say if there is anyone willing to take Kaberle for a bag of pucks, I'd make the deal withoug blinking. Molson should also be happy saving the money.

I suppose I wasn't clear enough. A dirty jock for Kaberle is a sweetheart deal.

I am not sure what the rush is moving players. I be more inclined to leave that kind of decision as long as I could, to better identify the need for the end rush. Eller seems to be this years kicking post. Leave him alone, he will be fine. If you are intent on trading a forward, pick a winger; we need all the help done the middle we can get. Having said that, one of my pet peeves has been historically Montreal's inability to keep players 21,22 & 23 active enough that they don't become distractions. Hopefully Therian does a better job.

How I see it, the only players I'd consider moving would be:

- Tomas Kaberle (if anyone wants him)

- Rene Bourque (playing well now, been inconsistent his entire career, still don't feel he has proven enough that we would want him for another three seasons)

- David Desharnais (not saying I want to move him but I'd be open in a trade situation. I still feel he's a 50-60 point top six forward and I'd trade him with that intention in what Montreal would be getting back)

I would consider moving Gionta next season when he's about to be a UFA or Moen if he was unhappy playing on the fourth line but otherwise I don't like trading players in the same year they just signed with you (Armstrong, Cube, Prust) nor do I like trading guys who provide great value for their cap hit (Diaz). A lot of teams don't want to make a lot of moves in a half season. Montreal should stick with this team for the rest of the year.