Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

23 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

here is a more plausible trade proposal, but still not a perfect fit:

to TBL: Monahan ($1.985M) and Nicolas Beaudin (AHL), with some salary retention to make the trade work for TBL

to MTL: Isaac Howard (19yr old, 2022 31st overall)

Montreal send Monahan to a contender, gets a late 1st rounder with decent offensive potential; this seems like the 2nd round pick reported on rumors

TBL gets a very good forward that will help them in the playoffs. They also get a depth LD fo bolster their depleted LD pool. Beaudin asked for a trade and this should make him happy. He has more value than Norlinder would have, the move clears a contract slot for the Habs although it brings TBL to 46

TBL only have a 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th in the 2024 draft, and no first in 2025, so their "usual" wheeling & dealing may be somewhat limited this March ... but I don't know enough about Howard to judge the suggested return ... he played his freshman season at Minnesota-Duluth but then switched to Michigan State for this season (why?  red flag?) ... neither has his NCAA production been great, at least as yet ... might Ethan Gauthier be of more interest?

Much will depend (obviously) on what other offers Hughes can get.

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

TBL only have a 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th in the 2024 draft, and no first in 2025, so their "usual" wheel & dealing may be somewhat limited this March ... but I don't know enough about Howard to judge the suggested return ... he played his freshman season at Minnesota-Duluth but then switched to Michigan State for this season (why?  red flag?) ... neither has his NCAA production been great, at least as yet ... might Ethan Gauthier be of more interest?

Much will depend (obviously) on what other offers Hughes can get.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2024/01/09/tampa-bay-lightning-prospect-isaac-howard-stands-out-at-world-juniors/

While they do have some notable names, none have more expectations and hope behind them quite like Howard.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/2023-24-nhl-prospect-pool-overview-tampa-bay-lightning

Howard’s offensive ability seemed stifled during his freshman year, but the change of scenery should help him get back to the game he was accustomed to playing.

Ethan Gauthier is too young for the Habs. Too far outside their window

23 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It was mentioned in the rumour thread, actually.  I weighed in on it on the main site the other day as well: https://www.habsworld.net/2024/01/habs-weekly-a-sluggish-attack-proves-costly/

Apologies for missing (or forgetting) that, Brian. Head in the clouds, as per usual…

another trade proposal, this one more convoluted:

To ARI from MTL : the worst of MTL's two 2025 1st round pick, Harris ($1.4M/2025) and Monahan ($1.985M)

To ARI from EDM: Ryan McLeod ($2.1M/2025)
ARI keeps 50% of Harris and Monahan ($1.6925M) salary cap in return for MTL's 1st and McLeod

To MTL via ARI from EDM: Holloway (RFA 2024, Waiver exempt 2025)

To EDM via ARI from MTL: Harris ($0.7M/2025) and Monahan ($1.9925M) = $1.6925 less than McLeod

EDM gets a boost in Monahan and a very good young LD that can play in the NHL and should reach his ceiling there.

MTL gets an excellent forwaed prospect while respecting Monahan's wish. They also clear room for their LD prospects pool

ARI can absorb the salary cap, gets a 1st round pick and a very good 3C

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

But you suggested Isaac Howard who is only 10 months older. It must be a pretty tight window.

yes, but from what I read, he has a higher ceiling. I don't know.

16 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

To ARI from MTL : the worst of MTL's two 2025 1st round pick, Harris ($1.4M/2025) and Monahan ($1.985M)

ARI keeps 50% of Harris and Monahan ($1.6925M) salary cap in return for MTL's 1st and McLeod

To EDM via ARI from MTL: Harris ($0.7M/2025) and Monahan ($1.9925M) = $1.6925 less than McLeod

EDM gets a boost in Monahan and a very good young LD that can play in the NHL and should reach his ceiling there.

MTL gets an excellent forwaed prospect while respecting Monahan's wish. They also clear room for their LD prospects pool

Holloway was a high-ish (14th overall) pick in 2020 who had a very good, but not dominant, NCAA career and who has in his AHL career total numbers that are comparable to those from Mitchell Stephens/Joel Teasdale from the 22/23 Laval Rocket ... not certain he is worth Monahan, let alone Monahan AND Harris, and certainly not those two plus a 2025 first.

If Edmonton want Monahan and are willing to give up McLeod that could be the basis for a straight trade.

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Holloway was a high-ish (14th overall) pick in 2020 who had a very good, but not dominant, NCAA career and who has in his AHL career total numbers that are comparable to those from Mitchell Stephens/Joel Teasdale from the 22/23 Laval Rocket ... not certain he is worth Monahan, let alone Monahan AND Harris, and certainly not those two plus a 2025 first.

If Edmonton want Monahan and are willing to give up McLeod that could be the basis for a straight trade.

well, I wrote that it was convoluted. Straight Monahan for McLeod would work too.... :blush:

I was just trying to build a 3-way trade with ARI and I got sidetracked.

I think that EDM needs help in D and I also believe that Monahan would make them more dangerous in the playoffs.

To fit both, cap room was needed.

Straight late 1st round for Holloway would work, but not a late 1st round. He may be as good a Newhook who is a top-6 with the Habs now.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

here is a more plausible trade proposal, but still not a perfect fit:

to TBL: Monahan ($1.985M) and Nicolas Beaudin (AHL), with some salary retention to make the trade work for TBL

to MTL: Isaac Howard (19yr old, 2022 31st overall)

Montreal send Monahan to a contender, gets a late 1st rounder with decent offensive potential; this seems like the 2nd round pick reported on rumors

TBL gets a very good forward that will help them in the playoffs. They also get a depth LD fo bolster their depleted LD pool. Beaudin asked for a trade and this should make him happy. He has more value than Norlinder would have, the move clears a contract slot for the Habs although it brings TBL to 46

With 50% retention, I'm not sure TB could afford Monahan when everyone is healthy and not on LTIR.  Before the Sergachev LTIR, they had next to nothing to work with.  Not sure TB would move their top prospect for a third-line rental either.  If it was someone with term/team control (like Hagel or Jeannot), sure, but not for a rental.

45 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That 2025 pick is hard to move as there's a possibility it doesn't actually convey in 2025, it could be 2024 or 2026 as well.  Points for creativity but this seems too steep a cost from Montreal's perspective for a player who really hasn't shown much in the NHL so far and is a walking injury risk.  (Actually, that last part might make him the perfect fit for the Habs after all...)

16 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

With 50% retention, I'm not sure TB could afford Monahan when everyone is healthy and not on LTIR.  Before the Sergachev LTIR, they had next to nothing to work with.  Not sure TB would move their top prospect for a third-line rental either.  If it was someone with term/team control (like Hagel or Jeannot), sure, but not for a rental.

That 2025 pick is hard to move as there's a possibility it doesn't actually convey in 2025, it could be 2024 or 2026 as well.  Points for creativity but this seems too steep a cost from Montreal's perspective for a player who really hasn't shown much in the NHL so far and is a walking injury risk.  (Actually, that last part might make him the perfect fit for the Habs after all...)

LOL!

yeah, you are right.

I keep trying, one of these days I'll be right

via GIPHY

48 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agree with your analysis, I would like to get Holloway but to give up Harris, Monahan and a 1st to get him is way too much. 

I would give up Monahan and maybe a pick later than the 1st round to get Holloway. I think he can be an excellent winger in the NHL but he needs to get/stay healthy. 

I really like McLeod, he was terrific last night but he and Beck would be fighting for the same role so there would be duplication there, prefer the winger in Holloway. 

OK, here is my amended trade proposal based on the above. 

To Edmonton: Sean Monahan (Montreal retains 50%) + the later of Montreal's 2025 2nd round picks (either the Pittsburgh or Montreal pick)

To Montreal: Dylan Holloway

Edmonton gets a versatile forward who can compliment their existing group and is great on faceoffs plus they had no 2nd round pick in 2025

Montreal gets a young winger with legitimate top 6 potential. I think Holloway has a lot of talent. 

Not bad but Beaudin has no value if he cant beat out Norlinder in Montreal and already failed in Chicago.  Hes 24 years old and often a healthy scratch in the AHL.  I know defencemen take time but they are usually able to be top 4 in the AHL if rhey are ever gonna make it.  I hoped hed find his game after chicago but he hasnt.

Norlinder is a year younger, actually playing in the AHL and on his first organization.

He had more value imo.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

So we give Harris, a 1st round pick (the one we got from taking Monahan in the first place) and Monahan

for Holloway

HELL TO THE NO.... This is awful. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

OK, here is my amended trade proposal based on the above. 

To Edmonton: Sean Monahan (Montreal retains 50%) + the later of Montreal's 2025 2nd round picks (either the Pittsburgh or Montreal pick)

To Montreal: Dylan Holloway

Edmonton gets a versatile forward who can compliment their existing group and is great on faceoffs plus they had no 2nd round pick in 2025

Montreal gets a young winger with legitimate top 6 potential. I think Holloway has a lot of talent. 

that makes a lot of sense.

When I was looking at this, I could not fit Monahan's salary even at 50%, Holloway doesn't count in their cap.

Then I looked at the significant contracts they could move and that is where I saw McLeod but the Habs do not need him... then I looked for a 3rd wheel and etc. etc.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

that makes a lot of sense.

When I was looking at this, I could not fit Monahan's salary even at 50%, Holloway doesn't count in their cap.

Then I looked at the significant contracts they could move and that is where I saw McLeod but the Habs do not need him... then I looked for a 3rd wheel and etc. etc.

There would be some work to do to make Monahan's salary work in Edmonton as the Oiler's don't have much wiggle room. 

One of the challenges in concocting proposals is obviously making the cap work.

My "proposal" is that HuGo look at teams with pending UFAs who are not being heavily used and who could serve as a partial, or even total, offset rather than the Habs retaining salaries ... FOR EXAMPLE:

Islanders: Matt martin ($1.5M)
Blues: Jakub Vrána ($2.625M)*, Marco Scandella ($3.275M)**

Hurricanes: Anthony Deangelo ($1.675M)

Devils: Colin Miller ($1.85M)

* - Jakub is in the minors, so his NHL "hit" is only $1.475

** - Marco has a 7-team NTC, but he ***might*** waive it to finish the season back home in Montréal.

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

One of the challenges in concocting proposals is obviously making the cap work.

My "proposal" is that HuGo look at teams with pending UFAs who are not being heavily used and who could serve as a partial, or even total, offset rather than the Habs retaining salaries ... FOR EXAMPLE:

Absolutely, Habs have room for taking on expiring contracts but only 1 retention spot left. 

The Oilers have some expiring contracts but Foegele is a key piece for them right now. The rest of the UFA's on the Oilers are 1M or less. 

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Absolutely, Habs have room for taking on expiring contracts but only 1 retention spot left. 

The Oilers have some expiring contracts but Foegele is a key piece for them right now. The rest of the UFA's on the Oilers are 1M or less. 

Yup ... Oilers are screwed cap-wise.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Yup ... Oilers are screwed cap-wise.

And that is with Campbell buried in the minors. If they brought him back they would lose about 500K in cap room with Pickard going back. The Oilers will have to be very creative to make something happen. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

They don't need McLeod?  A 24-year-old centre near half a point a game (almost exclusively at even strength) is something they don't need?  Isn't that exactly what they need, especially with Dach's injury issues and Dvorak/Evans being a year away from UFA eligibility?  Beck's coming, yes, but spending some time in the minors would be beneficial; someone like McLeod would help allow that to happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

They don't need McLeod?  A 24-year-old centre near half a point a game (almost exclusively at even strength) is something they don't need?  Isn't that exactly what they need, especially with Dach's injury issues and Dvorak/Evans being a year away from UFA eligibility?  Beck's coming, yes, but spending some time in the minors would be beneficial; someone like McLeod would help allow that to happen.

I think McLeod is great and very important to the Oilers.  He can do almost everything Monahan can do and he is younger, faster and cheaper so I don't see any reason Edmonton would trade him for Monahan.  I think Holloway is the guy to target in a trade.