What is the right timing for GM & coaching changes?

REV-G

Given the situation we're in right now, with a coach that is only interim until the end of the season and a GM that most people seem to assume will not be our GM beyond this season, I wonder what the right time is to make these changes?

Actually the coaching change is probably obvious. Wait till the end of the season, then get a feel for who is available among biligual coaches, and who could be available during the summer, and then decide who to approach. But if you're bringing in a new GM then he would be the guy to make that decision so the coaching decision will likely be dependant upon when a new GM would be named. So likely sometime in July for a coaching change.

But what about the GM? Let's assume it's a done deal and Molson has decided that Pierre Gauthier is finished and a new GM will be named. When is the right time to make that change. It could be now. The trade deadline is gone. We're out of the playoffs. If you've made the decision to make a change, you don't want the existing GM to still be in place while you're preparing for the draft and potential trades and free agent signings in June and July. And you want the new GM to have time to get a feel for the team, it's prospects, who to keep and who to trade or let walk.

But perhaps there is benefit to waiting until the season ends, so the players are gone and there are no distractions or circus like atmoshere that could engulf a team during the season, who has already made two coaching changes during the season. So in my mind, if there's going to be a change we should see it happen sometime during the two weeks after the end of the season. What do you think?

If you want to interview assistant GMs, head scouts, directors of player personnel etc of other teams you need to wait til their team's season is over as you probably wont get permission before that.

Guys like Brisebois, Nill, Loiselle, Bergevin who've been floated as potential candidates.

Once the GM is in place the coach can be hired.

Ideally both are sitting at our draft table.

The day after the season i get rid of the coach, assistants, GM and his crew. I would get rid of the owner as well. he seems to be clueless.

Then you wait until the playoffs are over get your Gm and coach, everyone on the same page with the draft.

The day after the season i get rid of the coach, assistants, GM and his crew. I would get rid of the owner as well. he seems to be clueless.

Really? What's your beef with the Molson's? Who do you have in mind that has over 600 million$ ready to spend on a team that will miss the playoffs??

As far as replacing the GM, I'd do it 3-4 days after the Habs' season is over (early April). I'd make sure to have a replacement hired before May 15th, to allow the new GM to hire a new coach before the draft.

I don't really have a problem with the Molson's.

In one year they turned into a joke of an orginization. You guys all know the list of strange happenings, firing assistants on game day, firing the coach with no plan, tradign a player off the bench, throwing the new coach under the bus.

I am just assuming Molson was aware or approved of the moves. maybe he is totally hands off, i don't know. It will be interestign to see what happens in the offseason.

PG trades and player stuff i actually generally liked, except Kaberle. i didn'ty like that one. I understand what he was doing, just not the right player.

Martin Leclerc is claiming Roy has signed a letter of intent with Molson to be the next Habs head coach next season.

This rumor smells like B.S. to me.

If PG is going to continue as GM he should be hiring the coach, not Molson. He should be doing the interview, not Molson.

If PG lost confidence of Molson, and Molson is running things until the offseason when a new GM is hired, the new GM should have his choice of coach, and shouldn't be saddled with a coach as he takes over the team.

Things aren't adding up here on this rumor.

The timing is peculiar too, right before what is supposed to be a somewhat lengthy playoff run. Knowing the coach is bailing is a recipe for early elimination. I'm hoping the rumour is false, I'm pretty much on the anyone-but-Roy bandwagon.

The timing is peculiar too, right before what is supposed to be a somewhat lengthy playoff run. Knowing the coach is bailing is a recipe for early elimination. I'm hoping the rumour is false, I'm pretty much on the anyone-but-Roy bandwagon.

Same here. I don't want to break in Roy. I really believe it will be Crawford unless Vigneault is fired. Not that I really want either of them, but I think that is what we will get.

Martin Leclerc is claiming Roy has signed a letter of intent with Molson to be the next Habs head coach next season.

This rumor smells like B.S. to me.

If PG is going to continue as GM he should be hiring the coach, not Molson. He should be doing the interview, not Molson.

If PG lost confidence of Molson, and Molson is running things until the offseason when a new GM is hired, the new GM should have his choice of coach, and shouldn't be saddled with a coach as he takes over the team.

Things aren't adding up here on this rumor.

Your analysis makes sense, but you are overlooking the possibility that Molson is a completely bush-league owner. Such an owner might indeed try to rope in Roy and assume he could foist this choice on a future GM, not considering that any GM worth his salt is not going to want to sign on under such conditions.

Just saying.

Your analysis makes sense, but you are overlooking the possibility that Molson is a completely bush-league owner. Such an owner might indeed try to rope in Roy and assume he could foist this choice on a future GM, not considering that any GM worth his salt is not going to want to sign on under such conditions.

Just saying.

He could also be a scary owner who takes over as GM.. with some people assisting him.

That's done the Isles a lot of good.

I prefer Commandant's approach ;)

The fans. Stop supporting the team if you don't like the owner.