Cole is thinking about retiring before the end of his contract

JoeLassister

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/354415.html

Link is in french, but basicaly, he is not very very happy with the new CBA and is seriously thinking about it.

It would have to do with family (education system for his 12 yo kid here in Qc) and if the "sacrifices" in the new CBA worth it.

That. Would. Suck. Big. Time.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/354415.html

Link is in french, but basicaly, he is not very very happy with the new CBA and is seriously thinking about it.

It would have to do with family (education system for his 12 yo kid here in Qc) and if the "sacrifices" in the new CBA worth it.

That. Would. Suck. Big. Time.

He is not in great spirits to enter the season. I hope he doesn't remain downcast too long.

Not good. Although I do find it ironic, given that when he was signed a WHOOOOLE lot of fans went into righteous indignation mode about how this contract would absolutely be killing us by year four. :flaming: Now they're alarmed at the prospect of his leaving before year four. That's fans for ya.

I'm not sure how the new CBA hurts him more than retirement would. He'll be making millions with one and considerably less with the other. And it remains possible that he is not far from his decline, in which case retirement would do us a favour.

Cole may be a bit despondent because he came through a disaster last season, doesn't see a tremendous amount of immediate help coming this season, *and* took a psychological pounding over the lockout. If the Habs can put together a nice season then his mood might improve. Just speculating.

Regardless of how he is feeling, let's hope he is enough of a pro to bring his A game to the ice.

To read some of the commets over on Hockey InsideOut, you'd think a good chunk of fans belong to some hyper-vigilant PR department. How DARE Cole criticize Hamrlik! How DURST he say the who CBA thing has demoralized him and that he might discuss retirement with his family after the season! Not to mention the flak PK gets for being confident and outgoing, or the ridiculous Markov blowup (SHAME on him for playing elsewhere before the new CBA is ratified! SHAAAAAAME!!!).

Sheesh. Any utterance that goes beyond 'I just wanna keep working hard...we need to play our system...what's important is that the team wins...we can't get too high or too low...' immediately unleashes a sh*tstorm. No wonder so many players sound like robots or ventriloquist's dummies when they get a camera in their face.

Frankly, i think it might be posturing to get a trade, to avoid the Quebec schooling issues. i also think that if he retired after year 3, it might not be a bad thing, but it would really suck if he did quit after this year - I don't see the kids being ready yet. Most guys that play his style, tend to be in a decline at that stage anyways. What is really surprising about Cole is that he had a career year last year but I can't see him maintaining that anyway.

no cole+gionta+gomez= a lot of cap space for solid UFAs....it really wouldn't be the end of the world :rolleyes:

Funny...some folks seem to think everybody wants out, or nobody wants to sign in Montreal. Others assume Montreal can sign anybody we want. Neither is true. Just saying.

Ditching Gomer is a no-brainer, but I wouldn't be clicking my heels about losing Cole and Gio until I see who replaces them. Cole in particular was a great signing and will be hard to replace.

Funny...some folks seem to think everybody wants out, or nobody wants to sign in Montreal. Others assume Montreal can sign anybody we want. Neither is true. Just saying.

Ditching Gomer is a no-brainer, but I wouldn't be clicking my heels about losing Cole and Gio until I see who replaces them. Cole in particular was a great signing and will be hard to replace.

Yeah haha what are the chances we would sign a 35 goal scorer like we got in Cole. Normally there are only a couple players of that skill. One maybe two out on the market at a time.

Bet he wouldn't had said that ten years ago before he was rich enough to never work...

He can do what he wants, but this makes me question his passion for playing. Sounds more like an excuse to retire. If he wants a trade, his value is probably pretty high right up til he opened his mouth.

Yeah haha what are the chances we would sign a 35 goal scorer like we got in Cole. Normally there are only a couple players of that skill. One maybe two out on the market at a time.

To put this into context, Erik Cole was 13th in the NHL for goals. Just because it's kind of funny to mention, Michael Ryder was tied with him. Montreal had two players in the top 20 in goals scored and we still were the bottom of the Eastern Conference. With strong goaltending. Talk about a weird year.

Bet he wouldn't had said that ten years ago before he was rich enough to never work... He can do what he wants, but this makes me question his passion for playing. Sounds more like an excuse to retire. If he wants a trade, his value is probably pretty high right up til he opened his mouth.

Who the heck are you to question Erik Cole? The guy just tied his career best numbers in points, scored the most goals of his career in a season and might have done even better had Martin had faith in him before the puck dropped. He had a career season and you are questioning his passion?

Bet he wouldn't had said that ten years ago before he was rich enough to never work... He can do what he wants, but this makes me question his passion for playing. Sounds more like an excuse to retire. If he wants a trade, his value is probably pretty high right up til he opened his mouth.

A guy with money in the bank has a different opinion of

a) staying home and being with his wife and daughter

vs

b) continuing to work and earn more

Than he would have had when he didn't have money in the bank?

Thanks Tips.... As if that wasn't obvious.

Doesn't change the fact he owes fans, the team, etc.... nothing compared to what he owes his family. If he wants to make a decision with his family, more power to him.

A guy with money in the bank has a different opinion of

a) staying home and being with his wife and daughter

vs

b) continuing to work and earn more

Than he would have had when he didn't have money in the bank?

Thanks Tips.... As if that wasn't obvious.

Doesn't change the fact he owes fans, the team, etc.... nothing compared to what he owes his family. If he wants to make a decision with his family, more power to him.

I don't recall saying he owed anything... I said I question if he really wants to keep playing and that if he wants a trade, suggesting you might retire isn't how you get one.

"He can do what he wants".

Note however that he signed a contract, so he made a commitment to the team knowing his kids age, etc.

To put this into context, Erik Cole was 13th in the NHL for goals. Just because it's kind of funny to mention, Michael Ryder was tied with him. Montreal had two players in the top 20 in goals scored and we still were the bottom of the Eastern Conference. With strong goaltending. Talk about a weird year.

Who the heck are you to question Erik Cole? The guy just tied his career best numbers in points, scored the most goals of his career in a season and might have done even better had Martin had faith in him before the puck dropped. He had a career season and you are questioning his passion?

Get over yourself. Cole is one of my favorite players. He stated he might want to retire. What do you think that means?. Hardly shocking to suggest his heart might not be in anymore.

Get over yourself. Cole is one of my favorite players. He stated he might want to retire. What do you think that means?. Hardly shocking to suggest his heart might not be in anymore.

Discouraged because of a long lockout, but there is a good chance once the season gets going and reaches the heat of it. He'll be back.

I don't recall saying he owed anything... I said I question if he really wants to keep playing and that if he wants a trade, suggesting you might retire isn't how you get one.

"He can do what he wants".

Note however that he signed a contract, so he made a commitment to the team knowing his kids age, etc.

Not really...

All teams know that any of their players can retire at any time.

Everyone needs to calm down. This rant by Cole, who has been vocal all through the lockout, is out of frustration. He is pointing out that players aren't going to be paid their contracts. Well they are, if they weren't you wouldn't see a few Russians back in the NHL. Ovechkin publicly said if he wasn't getting his contract honored he wasn't coming back. From what I've understood the contract will be honored but over a longer period than the contract, so for Cole to get all his money from this contract it might take 6 more years.

Here's the thing. If he retires after this season all the things he's complaining about is invalid. He will only have to worry about half a season worth of "make whole." He won't retire, he's just vocal, to put it nice.

Let's just hope that Cole will have a good start to the season. Cause if he doesn't, you can be sure the media will bring this article back and say that maybe Cole is thinking about retirement a little too much.

In any case, I loved the Cole signing last year. He is EXACTLY the type of player this team needs more of. I really hope that COle will stick around til the end of his contract, he is a very good mentor for young power forwards like Pacioretty and who knows, maybe he'll help Galchenyuk as well (if not this year, then next year)

Quebec schooling issues? If Daniel Briere has kids, don't know, don't care. I bet they're not in the Philadelphia public school system. Just send your children to private school, you can pick and chose what you want. Living and playing here is tricky at times, we all know the reasons. But at some point, get a clue. I'm hoping to send my daughter to private high school one day, and I'm a regular working stiff. And for the record, her elementary school is wonderful.

I just watched Michel Therrien's Press conference from this morning. And According to Therrien, he is not worried at all about Cole. Looks like just being back with the 'boys' has lifted his spirits!

Discouraged because of a long lockout, but there is a good chance once the season gets going and reaches the heat of it. He'll be back.

John Lu reports that being on the ice with his teammates has lifted Cole's spirits and driven away thoughts of retirement,

As I thought.