Training camp news and notes

dlbalr

Presuming Galchenyuk makes the team, the Habs will have 12 healthy forwards on the roster. I imagine a 13th will be named if for no other reason than to be an extra until Nokelainen is ready. Who gets the spot? Dumont? Gallagher? Someone currently on the waiver wire? (Although there aren't many good options available...) One of the later callups? With Gomez now gone, the team has 5 contract spots available, I wouldn't mind them taking a flyer on a waived guy tomorrow but if not, my guess would be Dumont.

Final cuts are going to be made by late tomorrow morning for those wondering.

Blunden is the best choice if we just want a guy to sit in the press box. Dumont is the best choice if we want a center. Leblanc is the best choice if we want him to sit and rest his ankle.

Good point by Antichambre: Not a good idea having the players welcome the fans at the doors and shake hundreds of hands, you don't want players to catch the flu or worse.

There will always be complaining, but still true. lets hope they sanitized properly afterwards.

That is a good point except for one thing. They were in a labor dispute arguing over fan's money. I think the flu should be the least of their concern, as a matter of fact they almost should be kissing boots that fans are coming back.

As for fans chanting for PK, in a weird way I like it. If Bergevin lacks the stones to coldly ignore the baying fools of the Montreal fans and/or media - if he fails the test of ruthlessly doing what he thinks is best for the team no matter what the masses say - then he will not survive as GM in Montreal. Period. We may as well find out sooner rather than later if he's got the requisite ice in his veins.

Blunden for 13th forward. Even though he was waived today he doesn't have to be sent down right away. He can be sent down at any time up to 30 days after he clears waivers (assuming waiver rules are the same as last CBA).

As for fans chanting for PK, in a weird way I like it. If Bergevin lacks the stones to coldly ignore the baying fools of the Montreal fans and/or media - if he fails the test of ruthlessly doing what he thinks is best for the team no matter what the masses say - then he will not survive as GM in Montreal. Period. We may as well find out sooner rather than later if he's got the requisite ice in his veins.

I think given the way he handled the Gomez situation that Bergevin has the requiste ruthlessness....as for handling the public pressure we will find out soon.

Gallagher is a bit of a weird one, no? RW is the Habs deepest position... is he really worth having on the ice on the 4th line?

If Plekanec can't go, maybe a top-9 opening opens up? Go with Bourque-Galchenyuk-Gionta, Moen-Eller-Gallagher (I know Bourque is a natural RW but someone needed to move to that spot...).

Super to hear the 2 skilled forwards made the cut.

More scoring is needed.

I hope Bergevin-Molson can simply ignore the Subban chanting.

He is a super player, but no teammate has ever mentioned him as a future leader or character guy (which maybe irrelevant if he performs and isnt a big distraction), but if he was sent packing for a super young centreman/forward to play with Galchenyuk, may be best long term anyways?

Should be interesting to see who blinks first?

I wonder if Gallagher can be effective at LW

Gallagher Eller Bourque as the third intrigues me.

As long as Eller gets 1 skilled winger and not 2 grinders, i am happy.

Gallagher does most of his best work around the net, so may not matter too much? I am sure he is itching to "accidently fall" into his first NHL goalie, take/draw lots of PIMs and just generally be pain in ass for opponents.

As long as Eller gets 1 skilled winger and not 2 grinders, i am happy.

Gallagher does most of his best work around the net, so may not matter too much? I am sure he is itching to "accidently fall" into his first NHL goalie, take/draw lots of PIMs and just generally be pain in ass for opponents.

Although Bourque is not a grinder. Barely hits anyone. His assets are his shots and ability around the net to finish plays.

I'd like Gallagher too on that line, but I'm not sure it would work. There would be no physicality on that line. Gallagher is a quick wiz who could complement 2 bigger/intense guys. I'm not worried. With Prust and Armstrong around, there are countless lines combination possible. And there will be injuries in this short season. Not that critical to find absolute lines combinations. I have the feeling lines will shuffle a lot. Habs have lots of skills but no established superstars. And with the confidence level in our offensive abilities not being very high, it won't take long drought before we see lineup shuffles.

Although Bourque is not a grinder. Barely hits anyone. His assets are his shots and ability around the net to finish plays.

I'd like Gallagher too on that line, but I'm not sure it would work. There would be no physicality on that line. Gallagher is a quick wiz who could complement 2 bigger/intense guys. I'm not worried. With Prust and Armstrong around, there are countless lines combination possible. And there will be injuries in this short season. Not that critical to find absolute lines combinations. I have the feeling lines will shuffle a lot. Habs have lots of skills but no established superstars. And with the confidence level in our offensive abilities not being very high, it won't take long drought before we see lineup shuffles.

The only thing we can count out is a line with two of Gallagher, Gionta, Desharnais haha.

No not Bourque as a grinder, i meant more Moan-Armstrong-Darche-Prust types on Eller's wings.

Eller is physical enough, no? Bourque never gets pushed around neither.

Also curious, do you know, is there an accurate size/weight listing for players? Or do teams keep that to themselves?

Wondering if Eller is bigger this year, or just seemed that way yesterday?

They were updated a couple of days ago on the Habs' site. (Although when I checked then, I thought it was just the AHL'ers who had been updated but a few of the Habs saw their info change...off to update the site profiles...) http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Some of the more notable changes were Eller (+6 lbs), Emelin (+18 lbs), and Pacioretty (-12 lbs). Leblanc had a drop around 15 lbs when I updated his info a couple days back. Price had no change listed which is a little odd (the talk of camp early on was how slimmer he looked), maybe they're not all updated yet?

They were updated a couple of days ago on the Habs' site. (Although when I checked then, I thought it was just the AHL'ers who had been updated but a few of the Habs saw their info change...off to update the site profiles...) http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Some of the more notable changes were Eller (+6 lbs), Emelin (+18 lbs), and Pacioretty (-12 lbs). Leblanc had a drop around 15 lbs when I updated his info a couple days back. Price had no change listed which is a little odd (the talk of camp early on was how slimmer he looked), maybe they're not all updated yet?

Cool thanks, Price being very thin was one i forgot was the real reason i asked.

i just didnt think some of #s they posted seemed accurate? and were soaking wet #s and high heel heights for the smaller guys.

Cool thanks, Price being very thin was one i forgot was the real reason i asked.

i just didnt think some of #s they posted seemed accurate? and were soaking wet #s and high heel heights for the smaller guys.

Here's one with some different numbers, ones that more likely reflect the current situation (Eller and Pacioretty bulking up, Price trimming down). I'm not sure if these are from camp or not though. http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/roster/_/name/mtl/montreal-canadiens

Here's one with some different numbers, ones that more likely reflect the current situation (Eller and Pacioretty bulking up, Price trimming down). I'm not sure if these are from camp or not though. http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/roster/_/name/mtl/montreal-canadiens

just looking at the raw numbers and not analyzing them, it seems the smurf thing is kinda going away. No huge guys but a lot 6- 6'2" guys. am I wrong? :habslogo: