February 7, 2013, Montreal vs Buffalo, 7 PM

dlbalr

This board will sure get interesting if we don't get some results in Toronto.

I'll 100% guarantee we won't win in Toronto on Saturday night.

I'll also 100% guarantee we won't lose in Toronto on Saturday night.

(the game is in Montreal)

Some thoughts on last night's game-

*Pleki, Pleki, Pleki! The turtleneck is playing in rare form. A threat on offense and defense. Playing like a good number one center.

*Budaj! Not a good backup goaltender, but not every team has Lehner or Anderson, Luongo or Schneider tandem to pick from. Some teams have to have backups like Brent Johnson, or Andre Racicot. That's us. The team can't even count on him to make one big save.

*White...really let me down last night, after shaking the pom poms for him during his absence. He clearly needs some sort of psychological counseling, he's playing himself out of the NHL, and his gloves fly off like that gun contraption Travis Bickle rigged up in "Taxi Driver."

*Armstorng-Inexpicably on the ice for the tying goal, along with Markov.

*PK is back! Great defense, great offense, he needs to be playing 23 plus minutes.

*Emelin and Gorges-Should filp flop. Emelin is a hard-hitting, stay at home number 4. He is not the "man of all seasons" Therrien wants him to be.

*David Desharnais-Doesn't look like an NHLer right now. His game is in a deep funk after 10 games. Time to pull the plug and break up that line. We have to get more production out of Pacioretty. Cole will regress, but Pacioretty could be a 40 goal man, if he has the right center.

This board will sure get interesting if we don't get some results in Toronto.

This post scared me... I have tickets for Saturday night and I thought maybe I pucked up!

Taking my Dad to the game, he's only been to the Bell Centre once - back in the late 90's. He's excited, even though the Habs today are far from the one's he watched in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

I hope the Habs win - I really, really hate Toronto. It's Hockey Day in Canada on CBC, so glad I won't be watching PJ Stock making up stories about both teams. Still don't understand why that guy is on English and French TV...?

Defending Budaj based on the number of saves ignores the fact that every shot led to several rebounds. Put price in net and the Sabres have 10 to 15 fewer shots. After a low shot it was a mad scramble with him ending up on his ass and not in a position to make a save. The defence saved at least five goals bailing him out many times.

As for white, i agree that he is also responsible and is probably in the dog house again. Still, the way Budaj was playing, the sabres were intentionally throwing pucks to his five hole knowing he had no control and was fighting the puck.

White seems to miss the fact that you can defend a team mate but you cant do it by immediately jumping the player and wailing away. Every player in the league now knows to just turtle and enjoy the PP.

Defending Budaj based on the number of saves ignores the fact that every shot led to several rebounds. Put price in net and the Sabres have 10 to 15 fewer shots. After a low shot it was a mad scramble with him ending up on his ass and not in a position to make a save. The defence saved at least five goals bailing him out many times.

As for white, i agree that he is also responsible and is probably in the dog house again. Still, the way Budaj was playing, the sabres were intentionally throwing pucks to his five hole knowing he had no control and was fighting the puck.

White seems to miss the fact that you can defend a team mate but you cant do it by immediately jumping the player and wailing away. Every player in the league now knows to just turtle and enjoy the PP.

He's awful. They won't win a game with Budaj in. If you're team scores four goals, and you lose, it's the goalie's fault. If you score one goal, and you lose, it's the skater's fault. He is a sieve.

I'm surprised Therrien didn't slot in Armstrong during the shoot out.

This post scared me... I have tickets for Saturday night and I thought maybe I pucked up!

Taking my Dad to the game, he's only been to the Bell Centre once - back in the late 90's. He's excited, even though the Habs today are far from the one's he watched in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

I hope the Habs win - I really, really hate Toronto. It's Hockey Day in Canada on CBC, so glad I won't be watching PJ Stock making up stories about both teams. Still don't understand why that guy is on English and French TV...?

Sorry, should read against Toronto/ Commandant's post should have cleared that up

Budaj did play well for the most part, but he let in 2 soft goals. The last on in regulation I thought was going to get called back because of all the goaltender interference calls lately, but it didn't play out like that. Guess it was karma from the Ottawa game. While we can point at White and Budaj, the answer is both. The first Buffalo goal should have been stopped. It would of changed the game completely. the first 2 goals we scored the momentum was lost immediately by Budaj letting in one right after for each. Goalies need to make key saves and those were 2 of those keys saves.

The White penalty was horrible. Bench him again, don't waive him. If he's not part of the plan going forward, throw him in a pile with Weber and Kaberle and try to get a decent return for a package. I like the kid, he seems to be struggling with that fine line he needs to walk to stay in the NHL. Once he finds it he'll be nearly as valuable to us as Neil is to Ottawa.

This. A million times, this. Even the BUffalo announcers early on said that Budaj was having trouble handling the puck and the Sabres should just shoot from everywhere. He just could not control any form of rebound.

This half season meant far more back to backs. We knew this going in. I still don't see us losing this game with Budaj in net if White didn't do the double minor. And I never blame a goalie in allowing a shot on the penalty kill. If the team didn't go down 4 vs. 5 he would never be put in the situation.

Debating white vs Budaj is a bit pointless, they both had issues. My concern with Budaj is that he simply doesnt look very good, even for a backup. Perhaps he is having a rough start, but he looks like a beer league goalie right now.

If he cant get with the goalie coach and turn it around, we need another option if we are serious about this season. Either that, or Price needs to play just about every game.

As for White, unless Therrien can get through to him, his days are numbered. Frankly, i am not sure he brings that much to the team anyway.

i'd like to see Gabriel Dumont get his bite at the apple.

Debating white vs Budaj is a bit pointless, they both had issues. My concern with Budaj is that he simply doesnt look very good, even for a backup. Perhaps he is having a rough start, but he looks like a beer league goalie right now.

If he cant get with the goalie coach and turn it around, we need another option if we are serious about this season. Either that, or Price needs to play just about every game.

As for White, unless Therrien can get through to him, his days are numbered. Frankly, i am not sure he brings that much to the team anyway.

Kerry Fraser believes the goal in the dying seconds shouldn't have counted, here's why: http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?16436

So in less than a week, we see a call that really benefited the Habs (the wave-off on Benoit's goal) and one go against them (this one). Boy, it doesn't take long to even the bad calls out...

This half season meant far more back to backs. We knew this going in.

Why must a team always play their backup in back-to-back games? If the rest of the team is playing, and skating, for two nights in a row - then why not your starting goalie who just stands in net? I've never understood this mentality especially during a shortened season like this year where every point is crucial. Price is young and should be playing every game. He gives the Habs a chance to win every night, and the defence plays better in front of him. Forget Budaj. Use him only if you have to. Which is never.

Why must a team always play their backup in back-to-back games? If the rest of the team is playing, and skating, for two nights in a row - then why not your starting goalie who just stands in net? I've never understood this mentality especially during a shortened season like this year where every point is crucial. Price is young and should be playing every game. He gives the Habs a chance to win every night, and the defence plays better in front of him. Forget Budaj. Use him only if you have to. Which is never.

The reason is you don't want to burn a goalie out. Very few goalies in the NHL are capable of playing alot without showing signs of a major burnout. If we run Price down, it'll take alot more than a few games to get him back to full form. In the long run it's worth it to put your backup in for back-to-back games,.

It is harder on the body to be a goalie just like a catcher in baseball. Hard on the joints

And, in the case your #1 goes on a cold streak, you want your backup to at least be competitive when needed between the pipes.

Goaltender is the most exhausting position on the ice... both mentally and physically. He doesn't just "stand in net".

This is proven when we look at the amount of water weight a goalie loses in a game.

Add to it that its not just a bakc to back... its a back to back including travel, customs, etc...

I don't buy any of it. Sorry guys. Price should be playing 40-45 games this year. How many games do you think Brodeur, Rask, Miller, Anderson and other bonafide #1's will play? Being tired, burnt out, etc are just excuses. Price is 24 and should play every night.

I don't buy any of it. Sorry guys. Price should be playing 40-45 games this year. How many games do you think Brodeur, Rask, Miller, Anderson and other bonafide #1's will play? Being tired, burnt out, etc are just excuses. Price is 24 and should play every night.

Roy never played 70 games in a season.

Lazy bum.

• Upvote 1