Caps @ Habs, April 20th

JoeLassister

Exactly. Price is fabulous when he has it all together, but he still doesn't seem to have built up the mental fortitude I would hope for after five years in the league.

People forget that Price was awesome in the 2011 playoffs. I'm not sure I'd conclude that he lacks 'mental fortitude' because of a dodgy April of meaningless games; but I agree that if he struggles in the postseason, it'll be harder to defend him in this respect.

It's a bit after the fact but here goes...

- There's still time left in the season to turn things around. I'd rather see them struggle now than 10 days from now.

- Price historically has had these ugly patches. He has come back each time from them, there's no reason to think he won't here.

- The streaky scorers (Pacioretty and Ryder primarily) aren't going to stay snake bit forever. One of them is bound to get back going soon and with that, the offence should play with more confidence.

How's that?

I'm such a slut.

One thing this slump seems to show is that this team lists as Carey Price does. I can see losing when your goalie blows chunks, but what explains the PP going 0-for-5 if not, perhaps, a team demoralized that its key cog is stinking out the joint.

The main reasons for clinging to some sort of befuddled optimism are

1. Price is a proven commodity and unlikely to keep playing like this

2. The team drooped immediately after making the playoffs. This suggests that, beyond Price's problems, the issue is a drop in intensity, drive and commitment. But that in turn suggests that once there is again a genuine, non-rationalized reason to care, they will. And it wasn't just the 1986 team that looked like dogs heading into the playoffs...so did the 1993 and 2010 Habs, if memory serves.

So teams can suddenly snap back into form. I wouldn't bet the rent on it, but it happens.

I was thinking something similar. I suppose it doesn't take much of a lessening in intensity to make quite a difference.

Who stole the Habs?

People forget that Price was awesome in the 2011 playoffs. I'm not sure I'd conclude that he lacks 'mental fortitude' because of a dodgy April of meaningless games; but I agree that if he struggles in the postseason, it'll be harder to defend him in this respect.

Price has looked good in tough situations. And the last five games don't even qualify as that difficult. It's as if he brings the pressure onto himself at times, loses confidence ... and then we have an outcome like the last five games.

No way MT is going to sit his boy Bouillon - he should have been sat 5 games ago.

OH MY GOD SIT BOUILLON A GAME OR TWO HE LOOKS LIKE A MINOR LEAGUE DEFENSEMAN I DON'T EVEN KNOWWHYHESPLAYINGRIGHTNOWJLLKAJBKSNJDFSKJFSDFMDSFLKDSNF

At this point Subban belongs on the 1st unit - even over Markov.

I didn't mind that actually. They need to be separated. If not, the 2nd PP unit really lacks. I might have waited to do it this game to let Diaz ease in but the idea in general makes sense. I actually advocated for that in a recent article.

Eller went 0/6 on the draw in the 1st. Maybe Galchenyuk should take a couple. Maybe that line should play more in general while I'm at it. :) (Eller 3:20 TOI, Galchenyuk 2:53, Gallagher 2:46 at even strength.)

Lots of vets say the season doesn't start until the playoffs. This really could be the whole story during a very tiring stretch. Price was the trigger for the slump and will probably trigger the new season, the post season.

Why?? Gorges has trade value. Move him and Gionta to Edmonton for pajaarvi and gagner.

WOW! GORGES AGAIN LEAVES THE FORWARD ALONE ON THE PP, AND IT'S 4-0 !

I've said it before, but I'd rather see the Habs buy out Gorges instead of Kaberle.

It's my last night in New York. I guess it's a good thing I couldn't watch the game tonight.

Why?? Gorges has trade value. Move him and Gionta to Edmonton for pajaarvi and gagner.

What's up with our Gorges? He was such a stud out there.. heroic...whaddupwiddhim?

Given how much Therrien has talked about fatigue recently, I expect they'll be off tomorrow even though they were off Friday. They will have a practice for sure Monday though.

I agree. The new edition of MT is too smart for a bag skate at this point. No matter how much you might want to-- or how much you think they deserve it-- you DO NOT bag skate this team with the playoffs looming. If they are going the regain their form they need rest and they need to be rested in preparation for the playoff grind. So, pathetic effort result brings rest, just as a win would have. MT needs a sharp, up-tempo practice on Monday with an emphasis on what they need to be doing, particularly in the defensive zone, and-- I believe-- very little mention of what they have been doing for the last several games. :gohabsgo:

For all of our mental suffering and angst we forget that the laughs and cannots just finally clinched a spot last night after significant struggles of their own

Just on a glass half full theme, 2 positives I see are that a) since we clinched the team has slumped. Hopefully when we get to the playoffs they can lift their intensity and play like they were for most of the season.

B) If there were any delusions in the front office that this team is a cup winner, hopefully this slump will give them a wake up.

For me personally, I think our defensive depth is poor and it's no coincidence that we've gone backwards since Emelin was injured. Diaz, Weber and Kaberle are all puck moving D, and Markov is not a big hitter, aside from Subban there's nobody opposition forwards would be worried about. (Boulion and George's aren't big enough to worry opposition forward IMHO)

Anyways started off with glass half full, seems half empty by the end lol

Just on a glass half full theme, 2 positives I see are that a) since we clinched the team has slumped. Hopefully when we get to the playoffs they can lift their intensity and play like they were for most of the season.

B) If there were any delusions in the front office that this team is a cup winner, hopefully this slump will give them a wake up.

For me personally, I think our defensive depth is poor and it's no coincidence that we've gone backwards since Emelin was injured. Diaz, Weber and Kaberle are all puck moving D, and Markov is not a big hitter, aside from Subban there's nobody opposition forwards would be worried about. (Boulion and George's aren't big enough to worry opposition forward IMHO)

Anyways started off with glass half full, seems half empty by the end lol

Losing Emelin looms large. Not because he is such an awesome talent (though his contributions may have gone under-appreciated until his absence) but because we have no other quality defender with his skill-set. Indeed, it's this injury that stops me from confidently saying that the slump is simply caused by a drop in focus and intensity after sealing a playoff spot. A real part of the problem may be that Emelin's absence is ramifying through our entire game. Like I said when Emelin went down, Drewiski is our only plausible answer to this problem. It's not a great answer, but we have no choice but to play him because he is the only guy who brings the same kinds of attribtues Emelin does.

The other issue is the possibility that other teams have adjusted to Therrien's system (e.g., high-intensity 'swarming' of pucks in the defensive zone, which results in things like Bourque, rather than a proper defenceman, covering the open man on the third goal last night). Therrien will have to decide whether to go 'all in' on the system - demanding that players execute it with redoubled intensity - or to tweak it in response.

Emelin aside, some quality practices may be what's really needed here. Price needs to bear down and correct the holes that have crept into his game. The team needs to get some solid guidance on the way forward. It's the coaching staff's time to shine.

But you're right: this slump tends to put the kibosh on the notion that these guys are bona fide contenders. I still wouldn't rule out a deep run, but it's hard to see a team getting so thoroughly shellacked all April marching to ultimate glory in June. Probably a good thing that MB didn't move picks or youth to get a rental, then! Ironically these results tend to support the wisdom of our GM in not buying into the hype and remaining true to his larger plan.

It helps to keep things in perspective and remember than none of us even dreamed that our team would be #5 overall, let alone a Cup winner, this season. Even if we get blown out in 4 straight, MB's rebuild is ahead of schedule. ;)

I'd disagree with that. Gorges and Gionta represent exactly the type if players the oilers need - along with a big centre. In fact the oilers would still need one other stay at home dman. Throw in a 2nd round pick and u think we'd have a better chance of the oilers accepting than Gionta and gorges agreeing to the deal (can't remember if gorges had a NTC/NMC).

There is less than a 0% chance that Edmonton would even consider that let alone do it.

Gorges has value to us. We need defencemen like him. He just needs to play to his capability.

As for Gionta, he has a full no trade clause. I would bet that there is no chance he waives for Edmonton. There are teams he might accept a deal to, but I doubt a year in Edmonton is something he wants.

I'd disagree with that. Gorges and Gionta represent exactly the type if players the oilers need - along with a big centre. In fact the oilers would still need one other stay at home dman. Throw in a 2nd round pick and u think we'd have a better chance of the oilers accepting than Gionta and gorges agreeing to the deal (can't remember if gorges had a NTC/NMC).

Gorges had a full NTC this year (I'm not sure what specific date that it changes) and a partial from here to the end. I've said before I can't see Gionta being a target for Edmonton. He absolutely would be a good veteran for the team but on top of leadership, they need size up front. Gionta is the epitome of size on an atom team but not in the NHL. They'd be adding a ton of salary and basically eating up more than half of their remaining cap space without addressing a lot of their needs (they'd still lack a big top-six centre, another d-man or two, a backup goalie, etc). Edmonton as it is will be a team that spends to the cap next year so even with a 2nd rounder added, I still believe there's no way they would even consider it. It's just too much money going their way.

I believe the players you've got the Habs acquiring are very likely to be trade bait but they'll be requiring some cheaper players coming back for them to be interested.

I think they are going to be clearing close to $10m over the summer. Word is Horcoff is likely going to get bought out and Hemsky will be moved.

On too if that Smyth is probably done and I don't think Whitney will be back. They need around 3 dman a big centre and a goalie - I can't see dybnyk as the #1.

I agree Gionta probably wouldn't wave for Edmonton, but I do think the oilers would be interested. I think there is a good fit between the kind if players they are going to be looking for and the guys I'd like us to move by the draft - Gionta, gorges (we need someone else who can clear the net), Moen and weber. I'd also add Bouillon and DD to that list, but don't see us moving them.

Gorges had a full NTC this year (I'm not sure what specific date that it changes) and a partial from here to the end. I've said before I can't see Gionta being a target for Edmonton. He absolutely would be a good veteran for the team but on top of leadership, they need size up front. Gionta is the epitome of size on an atom team but not in the NHL. They'd be adding a ton of salary and basically eating up more than half of their remaining cap space without addressing a lot of their needs (they'd still lack a big top-six centre, another d-man or two, a backup goalie, etc). Edmonton as it is will be a team that spends to the cap next year so even with a 2nd rounder added, I still believe there's no way they would even consider it. It's just too much money going their way.

I believe the players you've got the Habs acquiring are very likely to be trade bait but they'll be requiring some cheaper players coming back for them to be interested.