2013-14 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

I don't mind Canadiens Express myself. I hate missing the little plays, but it does save time. Anyway, what Brian's excellent overview shows is that the situation is still uncertain. Diaspora Habs fans will just have to sit tight and see how it plays out.

Oilers are 4 points ahead of Sabres, but Sabres have game in hand.

Are Oilers simply that bad and seem a lock for another top 3 pick?

How in heck does Lowe keep his job year after terrible year?

The Oil appear to be one of those organizations where personal connections and contracts determine your fate more than performance at the managerial level. Lowe is some sort of untouchable in that organization, for no valid reason.

It is inexcusable to me that the Oilers have not even come close to moving ANY of their raw-yet-vaunted forward talent to start fixing their blueline. They've loaded up on promising forwards without giving those players anything resembling a properly balanced team structure. They made matters worse by bringing in a rookie coach when what they really needed was a stabilizing veteran coach with a long c.v., but more than anything else it's the total absence of a back end that is fatal to these clowns. Trade any one of your "big" forward names for quality blueliners. And do it soon, would be my advice.

Goaltending is atrocious. Defence is atrocious. Much like the Leafs they are a great example of a team starving for veteran leadership. That's what Andrew Ference is paid for and it is unquestionably not enough.

As Cucumber said, they need to move some forward bodies and get some balance. The Rangers and Wild are perfect trading partners for them. I'm expecting Del Zotto to be an Oiler by the end of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

It is my belief that Boston is going to slip this January and it has to do with the upcoming road trip.

Boston ended December with two losses to Ottawa and Long Island. They started January with wins against Nashville and Winnipeg only to lose convincingly to Anaheim on the road. They now have LA, San Jose, Toronto, Dallas, Chicago and LA again before a four day break.

I see maybe two wins at most during this run. Let's see if I'm right.

Remember how Toronto got David Clarkson and people were all THAT'S WHAT MONTREAL NEEDS TO DO?

31 games. Three goals. Five assists. Eight points. Minus two.

Seven years at $5.25M

In comparison, Mason Raymond makes $1M for one year and has 28 points.

Not how I remember it... I felt most habs fans wanted Clarkson, but not at the price or term it took to get him.

Big-name UFAs are almost always a rip-off. That has become pretty obvious over the years. Clarkson is just the latest in the long line. That said, the Canadiens will need a player of that profile if we ever want to contend, and when the time comes, if we overpay, I won't cry in my beer about it.

Big-name UFAs are almost always a rip-off. That has become pretty obvious over the years. Clarkson is just the latest in the long line. That said, the Canadiens will need a player of that profile if we ever want to contend, and when the time comes, if we overpay, I won't cry in my beer about it.

I mean, technically we already did overpay a UFA in Cole a few years ago.

We just got out of his contract before it started to suck. But you're right... no crying in beer here about it.

Interesting thing about Cole...he's on pace for about 42 points, and has 7 goals in the last month. Sure, $4.5 mil is an overpay for a third-liner, but that big body would look damned good in our top 9 right about now. That trade looked clever at the time, but has quietly morphed into a mistake if you ask me; basically we dumped a player who went through a bad half-season following the lockout, even though he was the perfect profile given our team needs.

Interesting thing about Cole...he's on pace for about 42 points, and has 7 goals in the last month. Sure, $4.5 mil is an overpay for a third-liner, but that big body would look damned good in our top 9 right about now. That trade looked clever at the time, but has quietly morphed into a mistake if you ask me; basically we dumped a player who went through a bad half-season following the lockout, even though he was the perfect profile given our team needs.

He has been bounced all over the Dallas lineup and had six points in 20 games at one point. He's had 9 points in 10 games, which is the same sort of thing Rene Bourque would do all the time and people would announce he's turned around. Only Bourque only costs us a million less and isn't 35 years old.

He has been bounced all over the Dallas lineup and had six points in 20 games at one point. He's had 9 points in 10 games, which is the same sort of thing Rene Bourque would do all the time and people would announce he's turned around. Only Bourque only costs us a million less and isn't 35 years old.

The truculent Conner Crisp came from Cole trade also.

This is the only time you could have written this and said the trade looks bad, because Cole has been on a little hot streak. He sucked all of last year, to start this year, and will probably suck later this year and next year. The trade would still look great if we had used that capspace on someone remotely useful instead of Briere.

This is the only time you could have written this and said the trade looks bad, because Cole has been on a little hot streak. He sucked all of last year, to start this year, and will probably suck later this year and next year. The trade would still look great if we had used that capspace on someone remotely useful instead of Briere.

This.

And don't forget that Cole openly admited that he was not pleased with his situation in Montreal, I mean the city and the Quebec policies about his family. He even came up with the option of retirement after the lockout.

Moving him has never been a mistake IMHO. MB took a potential disaster situation and turned it into assets and cap space. (Brière took it but hey...)

I agree wholeheartly. The missing name in all these discussions is Ryder who incidently is heading for another 25 goal season on a team that preaches defense. I believe he was the scapegoat for the team collapse last year. It was a team effort. God knows we could use another 25 goal scorer, but he may not have been a good candidate for the summer caravan through Quebec. That's the mistake for me, Briere would have been a moot point.

Well, to me the verdict is still out on Cole. Players do go through bad spells and then rediscover a solid game. It's like the idea that Clarkson is garbage. Well, maybe - or maybe he is struggling to make an adjustment or otherwise going through a bad patch.

That aside, there can be no denying that if we'd kept Ryder instead of Briere, or had replaced Cole with a player who actually suited team needs, I wouldn't even be bringing it up.

One of the main reasons I liked dumping Cole was that it gave us space for new deals for Subban, Eller, Markov and maybe Gionta, and also gave us flexibility heading into an important offseason in the course of our rebuild. Like maybe we could sign Girardi or another mid-tier free agent who is actually helpful in the short and long term. But then Briere's arrival ruined all that, and we'll probably be looking to stand pat and promote from within this year.

Cole, to me, is a notch above Rene Bourque in terms of consistency and heart. Plus, his career is winding down in a big way. You're right about Clarkson not being garbage - I still think he'll give the Leafs 2-3 effective seasons (which won't be close to justifying his price tag, however). It would be nice to have that sort of guy on the Habs, but it would be nicer to have a 5-million-dollar player who was actually worth the money, regardless of his style of play or physique.

I wanted to stand pat in free agency. If we're a building team there's no need to add contracts. Would have preferred to see Leblanc on the third line than Briere. I just wanted the kids to be moved up.

With the choice of Briere or Cole, I'm going with Briere. At least Briere has a history of playing well in the playoffs. We got plenty of players to get us to the playoffs. Who do we have to get points? Last year said "nobody". Erik Cole only has a history of scoring on Montreal in the playoffs. Might as well spend that money on a guy who might perform instead of a guy who has never performed.

I wanted to stand pat in free agency. If we're a building team there's no need to add contracts. Would have preferred to see Leblanc on the third line than Briere. I just wanted the kids to be moved up.

With the choice of Briere or Cole, I'm going with Briere. At least Briere has a history of playing well in the playoffs. We got plenty of players to get us to the playoffs. Who do we have to get points? Last year said "nobody". Erik Cole only has a history of scoring on Montreal in the playoffs. Might as well spend that money on a guy who might perform instead of a guy who has never performed.

Completely agree with the first paragraph. The saving grace of the Briere signing has been said to be that it doesn't hurt us long term - unfortunately, it handcuffs us this year and the next, which will have an effect on the rebuild. Hopefully it will be minor.

As for Briere vs Cole, it's like choosing between mealy and mushy apples. I'm skeptical about Briere's ability to live up to his record of playoff scoring, and he isn't good enough anymore nor playing a significant enough role to be that much of a difference maker on this team. If he gets ten points and we win a round, then yes, he's delivered. If we lose in six in the first round and he gets five points, he's lived up to his numbers but it didn't do us much good.

http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2013/10/2013-14-nhl-teams-by-height-weight-and.html

A ranking of NHL teams in height, weight, and age. Montreal is right where you'd expect them on the height rankings. What's surprising is that St. Louis is tied for second shortest, but is second heaviest, while Florida and Buffalo have tall, light teams.

Not that I place a lot of importance of sizes (can be an issue on the backend), but was wondering where to find this list, thanks.

Tampa is one of biggest teams but are basically performing equal to smallest team in Habs.

As I thought is no real trend stands out to me.

Chicago is middle of road for size and simply has several all-star forwards, couple all-star defenders and vets/solid depth filling in key roles and should do well.

Whereas Habs have 1 All-Star forward, 3 all-star defenders (79-76-31); but also have two 2nd year #4 - #5 d-men (in Diaz (125 NHL games) and Yemelin (129games) who simply sucks at the moment). So size really isn't issue, it is lack of skill/performance up front combined with a thin/weakish top-4 d.

http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2013/10/2013-14-nhl-teams-by-height-weight-and.html

A ranking of NHL teams in height, weight, and age. Montreal is right where you'd expect them on the height rankings. What's surprising is that St. Louis is tied for second shortest, but is second heaviest, while Florida and Buffalo have tall, light teams.

What is sadly missing in these calculations is time on the ice. That would give you a clearer picture.