When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

Boucher is a power play and penalty kill tactician whose special teams units were at the top of the NHL in his short stint in Tampa.

That is the part I found interesting. Cause fire Le Genius or not, we need that.

He was also fired for being a shitty coach who no one has heard of since, outside him saying he was contacted by teams last week.

"Hey! Remember me! Finally got an interview! Oh wait, this isn't my mother. This is Bob McKenzie? My mistake, wink wink."

From what I can see, there are two conflicting views and one common one. The common one is that he can't run a power play. A lot of times an assistant coach handles the pp, so I'm not sure I would fire him for that alone. The conflicting view is that he does not put the players in a position to succeed, and the team does not have the players to succeed. To me it can't be both. Either they don't have a number one Centre or Therrien is holding back a true number one Centre. If they don't have the horses to go for the cup, that is a gm issue, not Therrien's. I wanted Hartley when they were looking for coaches. Second would have been Crawford and third Roy. Overall I have been happy with three winning seasons and back to back 2nd round appearances. He did this on Price and a solid defense. The team didn't have the personnel to dominate offensively, so he used the tools he had and iced a winning team.

Therrien wasn't even on the radar. You can go back into the threads here when he was hired to see how bewildered we all were. I've been one of his most vocal supporters, and I didn't want him to coach the team at all. I guess what's changed since then for me also is a promotion to management in my company, and then senior management. As a manager, you won't believe how many jackaninnies live to criticize managers. People who have never held a position of authority in their lives, or dislike any manager. I would be interested to know what manager these "consultants" approve of. Toe Blake? How about Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry or Bill Beliichick? I bet if we had Team Canada's bench, Habs fans would still complain after every single game. The "Fire Therrien" crowd are a huge laughingstock with the rest of the league's fans.

• Upvote 1

He was also fired for being a shitty coach who no one has heard of since, outside him saying he was contacted by teams last week.

"Hey! Remember me! Finally got an interview! Oh wait, this isn't my mother. This is Bob McKenzie? My mistake, wink wink."

The former Tampa Bay Lightning head coach has been in Switzerland coaching SC Bern since Jan. 2014.

There now you know where he has been. I would have thought a knowledgeable hockey man such as yourself would be aware of that. I guess not.

I'm not calling for Therrien's head, but this team didn't do it with solid defending. They were near the bottom of the league in all defensive categories. Besides of course goals against, which you can thank our Vezina and Hart winner for.

Are the defensive catagories shots against Fenwick and corsi? I like to look at those numbers but a team that let's you take the outside shot will often have a lot of low percentage shots. Similar to what Ottawa did to Montreal in round one or Martin and the habs did to Pitt and wash in 2011 or better yet what team user did on a regular basis when they visited canada and usa. The 1972 to 1982 USSR team would have had the worst defensive stats ever. Yet they were one of the greatest hockey teams ever assembled. And not just Tretiak.

Therrien worked as 'extra-muscle' for Rock Voisine in the late 80s-90s eh, I did not know that.

Too funny, Lovette M once referred to him as dressing or looking like a retired bouncer, which I suppose is bang on.

Actually, it was me who thought Therrien looked like an extra from the Trailer Park Boys because of the slicked hair, gold chains and ex-bouncer kind of build. Little did I know, that I was spot on.

And just for a little levity - which we could all use right now. Michel Therrien is....The Bodyguard.

Therrien-Garde-du-Corps1-601x275.png

TheBodyguardSoundtrack.jpg

Actually, it was me who thought Therrien looked like an extra from the Trailer Park Boys because of the slicked hair, gold chains and ex-bouncer kind of build. Little did I know, that I was spot on.

And just for a little levity - which we could all use right now. Michel Therrien is....The Bodyguard.

Therrien-Garde-du-Corps1-601x275.png

TheBodyguardSoundtrack.jpg

Hahahahhaha

Funny, after last night's game I went to buy Rolaids and that song was on the radio. I listened to the whole thing while feeling sorry for myself.

who is going to feel sorry for eller who isn't allowed to take a PP face off? MT has failed at least to make the easiest of decisions not much different to winning an important face off in our zone...

MT thoughts "hmmm, we get to start da power play in the off zone but DD can't win the face off for the life of umm"... should i put eller on who can win da face-off and go to da net and pay da price? nah DD can do it i have fait in his work ettic"

but no our 2 minute PP becomes 1min because we lose the face off start in our end and it takes minimum 2 tries just to enter the zone....

or how about keeping possession of the puck when entering the zone only because bishop comes out every freakin time to play the puck.... easy easy little adjustments.. but hey lets re-arrange the line up again 5on5

Yep, nothing easier than being an NHL coach. Hey, according to this site, there are at least a dozen internet experts who have never coached a day in their lives who can do infinitely better than Therrien. I look forward to their being hired. The Cup will be assured.

• Upvote 1

Yep, nothing easier than being an NHL coach. Hey, according to this site, there are at least a dozen internet experts who have never coached a day in their lives who can do infinitely better than Therrien. I look forward to their being hired. The Cup will be assured.

say what you will but the evidence is there.... DD loses the initial PP face off 95% of the time and the puck is down the ice... yet MT continues to put him out for the face off against 6'7" brian boyle..... if we have trouble entering the zone maybe priority number 1 would be to actually win the initial face off and stay in the zone. if eller can be trusted to win the face-off in our zone and is essentially our best face off guy... the answer is pretty simple when what your doing has failed for the entire season... plus he has the most PP points per TOI on the team i believe?? don't think i need to be one of the dozen internet experts to make this simple adjustment.

we have no offense what so ever and a decent power play to go along with a very good PK and 5on5 play would of been the difference from sweeping ott and being up 2-1 or even 3-0 (minus the penalty trouble) against TB

say what you will but the evidence is there.... DD loses the initial PP face off 95% of the time and the puck is down the ice

I see this comment a lot but the numbers don't bear it out. Desharnais' PP faceoff percentage this season was 61.5% on 182 draws taken. He may lose some untimely draws but he wins quite a bit more than he loses on the power play. For comparison sake, the league average for PP faceoff wins was 53.3% this year; Montreal's team % was 54.7% (higher in large part due to Desharnais).

• Upvote 1

I see this comment a lot but the numbers don't bear it out. Desharnais' PP faceoff percentage this season was 61.5% on 182 draws taken. He may lose some untimely draws but he wins quite a bit more than he loses on the power play. For comparison sake, the league average for PP faceoff wins was 53.3% this year; Montreal's team % was 54.7% (higher in large part due to Desharnais).

i haven't seen him win a single face-off against boyle

and i bet that goes all the way back to the nyr series last year

I was pushing for a Lars Eller for Martin Hanzal trade.

He's a good player. I've seen him down in Sunrise and he was on my fantasy team. They could have done a lot worse for a third line center.

I guess the twenty games a year he's injured would be a wash when you consider Eller disappears for twice that many.

HIYYYYOOOOOOOOOOO

• Upvote 1

He's a good player. I've seen him down in Sunrise and he was on my fantasy team. They could have done a lot worse for a third line center.

I guess the twenty games a year he's injured would be a wash when you consider Eller disappears for twice that many.

HIYYYYOOOOOOOOOOO

I think it was funny that Lars Eller was doing fantastic in the first round on the third line versus third line opponents, gets to Tampa, gets top six time and just falls apart.

It's what I've been trying to say when people want him to play top six and it's something Michel Therrien knows. Lars Eller cannot play top six hockey competition but he can look like a top six player on a third line.

• Upvote 1

I think it was funny that Lars Eller was doing fantastic in the first round on the third line versus third line opponents, gets to Tampa, gets top six time and just falls apart.

It's what I've been trying to say when people want him to play top six and it's something Michel Therrien knows. Lars Eller cannot play top six hockey competition but he can look like a top six player on a third line.

I remember you pointing that out. Once Eller gets the bad matchups he's toast.

Guest Stogey24

And who exactly out of Montreal's top 6 has looked good against Tampa? Besides Gallgher

And who exactly out of Montreal's top 6 has looked good against Tampa? Besides Gallgher

Nobody has, and in my opinion the thing wrong is Galchenyuk isn't playing top center, he can't do any worse than Plekanec has. Give the kid a chance to create offense for crying out loud, with our best wingers, he is the most talented and dynamic offensive player the Habs have.

Gallagher makes every line he is on better, can't say that about any other Hab in this series.

Guest Stogey24

A series like this, where the physicallity is at the minimum. Players like Desharnais and Plekanec should be showing up. On paper these two are the top centres of this team, yet DD turns Puck over or falls down when opposing players as much as breath on him and Plek has his cloaking device on

Nobody has, and in my opinion the thing wrong is Galchenyuk isn't playing top center, he can't do any worse than Plekanec has. Give the kid a chance to create offense for crying out loud, with our best wingers, he is the most talented and dynamic offensive player the Habs have.

Gallagher makes every line he is on better, can't say that about any other Hab in this series.

Yes he can.

Alex Galchenyuk was struggling against non-playoff teams at center in the season after an early first games boost. You expect him to what, Super-Saiyan because he gets put in the spot?

Hockey isn't some magical thing where you say, "You're first line center!" and the guy suddenly performs. You have to perform against weak competition before you can be elevated to attempt performing against top competition. Alex Galchenyuk has looked like a 20 year old with offensive flash against top talent and weak talent. It's why he plays top six minutes on the wing.

Next season he's going to get another shot at top six center. It's up to his own growth and development to prove he can play top six center against top competition on the road. Until he does that? He's exactly where he should be.

Yes he can.

Alex Galchenyuk was struggling against non-playoff teams at center in the season after an early first games boost. You expect him to what, Super-Saiyan because he gets put in the spot?

Hockey isn't some magical thing where you say, "You're first line center!" and the guy suddenly performs. You have to perform against weak competition before you can be elevated to attempt performing against top competition. Alex Galchenyuk has looked like a 20 year old with offensive flash against top talent and weak talent. It's why he plays top six minutes on the wing.

Next season he's going to get another shot at top six center. It's up to his own growth and development to prove he can play top six center against top competition on the road. Until he does that? He's exactly where he should be.

He reminds me a lot of Jonathan Huberdeau down here. He's isn't unready because of defense, he's not ready because they played him on a road trip and he did next to nothing for 5-6 games with 67/11. Like Huberdeau, I don't think I can see him playing center at all.

But hey, it's elimination night and we're all tear-assed about different things.

Honestly to me galcheyuk just looks drained both mentally and physically. It's been a long season for him most games he's ever played in NHL, a lot more minutes, constant questions about playing center, probably a contract distraction (gallagher got one he hasn't), and playing against better players then he did in previous years. He opened the season pretty strong looked very good and could've easily had an extra 5-10 points in the first half. A few months ago he seemed to lose that extra step and started getting knocked around pretty good. There was a stretch of games where he took some pretty big hits and no one defended him. Not to say he chickened out but thats around the time I think he lost that extra gear.

I think right now he just needs the summer off to hit the reset button. He has a good work ethic and a good head on his shoulders he'll evaluate his season and do whats necessary to have a more consistent one next year.

I do get a kick out of people who give up on him on other forums and call him a bust. He's just turned 21 I remember not too long ago people calling Ryan Johansen a bust.

Well, I for one am not calling Galchenyuk a bust. Like many, however, I am concerned that he has failed - in a big way - to step forward at all in these playoffs. It wasn't an unreasonable expectation. I remember saying early in the Ottawa series that if Galchenyuk doesn't play better, we were going nowhere. A team this offensively challenged simply cannot afford to have a player with that kind of talent playing like he's in a daze.

I agree that he looks slower, too. You could be right about him being burnt out.

Hopefully he comes back strong and starts asserting himself more regularly. You can't be a passenger forever.