When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

Legit all year this powerplay has struggled. Could you imagine if it was scoring.

PP was weird this year. There was a 1.5% difference between the Habs PP (16.5%) and the 29th best PP in Colorado. Then only a 1.3% difference between our 23rd best PP and Boston's at 17th. But then it's a 2.2% difference between us and 16th Islanders, 3.5% difference between us and 7th place Arizona and an 8.8% between us and the best PP in the league in Washington.

Compare that to last year where we had the 19th best PP at 17.2%, 3.1% better than the 29th best and a 6.2% difference between us and 1st. Basically the gap is widening with which teams are good at the PP and which teams are mediocre.

We scored 40 PPG with 214 goals on the total for the year. An extra 15 PPG would have put us close to the Top 10 in scoring for the league. What really hurt our scoring wasn't the bad PP but bad first period scoring. We are 11th in the league for 2nd period scoring (77 goals) and 5th in the league for third period scoring (87 goals). Tied for 7th with 6 OT goals too. 1st Period? 29th with only 44 1st period goals, which is three more than Buffalo and 40 less than the Rangers, who were best in the league for first period scoring with 84 goals. It's crazy how bad we were at starting the game with a goal.

Guest Stogey24

PP was weird this year. There was a 1.5% difference between the Habs PP (16.5%) and the 29th best PP in Colorado. Then only a 1.3% difference between our 23rd best PP and Boston's at 17th. But then it's a 2.2% difference between us and 16th Islanders, 3.5% difference between us and 7th place Arizona and an 8.8% between us and the best PP in the league in Washington.

Compare that to last year where we had the 19th best PP at 17.2%, 3.1% better than the 29th best and a 6.2% difference between us and 1st. Basically the gap is widening with which teams are good at the PP and which teams are mediocre.

We scored 40 PPG with 214 goals on the total for the year. An extra 15 PPG would have put us close to the Top 10 in scoring for the league. What really hurt our scoring wasn't the bad PP but bad first period scoring. We are 11th in the league for 2nd period scoring (77 goals) and 5th in the league for third period scoring (87 goals). Tied for 7th with 6 OT goals too. 1st Period? 29th with only 44 1st period goals, which is three more than Buffalo and 40 less than the Rangers, who were best in the league for first period scoring with 84 goals. It's crazy how bad we were at. starting the game with a goal.

The first period was a tough one to understand. I don't know if it was opponents bringing a heavier fore check in the first or the boys just not finding their wheels until the latter half of the game. Nothing changed in this past series either, the second was our strongest period(besides last night).

We scored 40 PPG with 214 goals on the total for the year. An extra 15 PPG would have put us close to the Top 10 in scoring for the league. What really hurt our scoring wasn't the bad PP but bad first period scoring. We are 11th in the league for 2nd period scoring (77 goals) and 5th in the league for third period scoring (87 goals). Tied for 7th with 6 OT goals too. 1st Period? 29th with only 44 1st period goals, which is three more than Buffalo and 40 less than the Rangers, who were best in the league for first period scoring with 84 goals. It's crazy how bad we were at starting the game with a goal.

Just a question but how many oppotunities on the PP did we miss in the 1st period? Aren't stats wonderful things? Maybe if we could score on the PP in the 1st, both problems wold be solved. :)

Andy Jib was a good singer.

Yeah, the BJ's were good too. :) Back in the day.

On a good night for Price, he'll also stop 90% of the shots he didn't see. His positional play is just that strong.

Not stopping 90 % of the shots he did not see is light years from "playing like crap"

For Carey, it is. Any other night, he allows 1 or 2 goals in that game. For him, it was a very off night.

screened on four outta five goals. "off night" more like it. "played like crap" absolutely inaccurate.

screened on four outta five goals. "off night" more like it. "played like crap" absolutely inaccurate.

I am not sure it was an off night, he had no way of stopping 4 of the shots. The Sens the Habs and I think I even saw a ref screening him. :) He has an off night when he gets beat clean on shots he can see. Can't remember the last time that happened. Sometimes we expect miracles where there none possible.

I am not sure it was an off night, he had no way of stopping 4 of the shots. The Sens the Habs and I think I even saw a ref screening him. :) He has an off night when he gets beat clean on shots he can see. Can't remember the last time that happened. Sometimes we expect miracles where there none possible.

Agreed, I was trying to cut some slack for the guy who stated "Price played like crap" when he back peddled to "off night" But you are right, it was not an "off night" either. He was screened on four out of five.

I have seen the team in front of him "play like crap" many nights and still win because of Carey. But I can't recall the last time CP "played like crap"

Therrien worked as 'extra-muscle' for Rock Voisine in the late 80s-90s eh, I did not know that.

Too funny, Lovette M once referred to him as dressing or looking like a retired bouncer, which I suppose is bang on.

Therrien worked as 'extra-muscle' for Rock Voisine in the late 80s-90s eh, I did not know that.

Too funny, Lovette M once referred to him as dressing or looking like a retired bouncer, which I suppose is bang on.

LMAO ! he should go back there.

I read in Terry Ryan's book that during a playoff series, they all went out to a bar and he got into a bar fight with the opposing coach and players. Then, after Fredericton won the series, he wouldn't allow the players to shake hands to preserve a grudge match style victory. He also used to chain smoke on one hour bus rides. (Slim 100s I presume)

"Boucher gets a bad rap in NHl circles because of his use of the 1-3-1 trap strategy. His critics are misinformed when they call him a “trap-only guy”. That’s the furthest thing from the truth. Boucher is a power play and penalty kill tactician whose special teams units were at the top of the NHL in his short stint in Tampa. He was an offensive and defensive innovator when he was hired from the AHL Hamilton Bull Dogs (Montreal Canadiens) in June 2010. Boucher is responsible for coaching and preparing P.K. Subban, Max Pacioretty, and David Desharnais for the NHL game. He also had a direct influence on the development of generation talents Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman. Boucher had great success with Hamilton and Tampa. In the end of his tenure in Tampa, he and GM Steve Yzerman experienced "philosophical differences"."

Quote from Garth's Corner. I thought I would throw a little fuel on the fire.

Hey, like I've said a gazillion times - Therrien is one of a number of more-or-less interchangeable, perfectly competent NHL coaches. His eventually replacement will have different strengths, weaknesses, and idiocyncrasies, but he too will be drawn from the same pool. He's not going to be one of the small number of elite NHL coaches because none of those coaches (except Vigneault, if you consider him elite) is bilingual. So Boucher is a realistic possibility, and I'm sure he'd do a credible job, just as MT has done, or Crawford, and a few others, no doubt would do.

Many had their mind made up about Therrien volume 2 before he even coached a game and their stance has not or will not change regardless. If it was any other coach that came in and got the results that he has so far, opinions would be much different about the coaching situation. Personally, I was skeptical when he was rehired but was open to seeing what he could do. And so far I have no reason to believe that this team would be better off with a different coach.

Many had their mind made up about Therrien volume 2 before he even coached a game and their stance has not or will not change regardless. If it was any other coach that came in and got the results that he has so far, opinions would be much different about the coaching situation. Personally, I was skeptical when he was rehired but was open to seeing what he could do. And so far I have no reason to believe that this team would be better off with a different coach.

The same fans who say that MTL is not a contender because of roster deficiencies are the loudest critics. I'm far more critical on MB.

Hey, like I've said a gazillion times - Therrien is one of a number of more-or-less interchangeable, perfectly competent NHL coaches. His eventually replacement will have different strengths, weaknesses, and idiocyncrasies, but he too will be drawn from the same pool. He's not going to be one of the small number of elite NHL coaches because none of those coaches (except Vigneault, if you consider him elite) is bilingual. So Boucher is a realistic possibility, and I'm sure he'd do a credible job, just as MT has done, or Crawford, and a few others, no doubt would do.

Boucher is a power play and penalty kill tactician whose special teams units were at the top of the NHL in his short stint in Tampa.

That is the part I found interesting. Cause fire Le Genius or not, we need that.

From what I can see, there are two conflicting views and one common one. The common one is that he can't run a power play. A lot of times an assistant coach handles the pp, so I'm not sure I would fire him for that alone. The conflicting view is that he does not put the players in a position to succeed, and the team does not have the players to succeed. To me it can't be both. Either they don't have a number one Centre or Therrien is holding back a true number one Centre. If they don't have the horses to go for the cup, that is a gm issue, not Therrien's. I wanted Hartley when they were looking for coaches. Second would have been Crawford and third Roy. Overall I have been happy with three winning seasons and back to back 2nd round appearances. He did this on Price and a solid defense. The team didn't have the personnel to dominate offensively, so he used the tools he had and iced a winning team.

If we lose this series I can definitely see MT getting the hook. Guy Boucher would be a good choice as he know some of the players already. But I would also be cool with Babcock.

it would be nice to have Boucher as an assistant but I don't see that happening with all the jobs available this year

Guest Stogey24

From what I can see, there are two conflicting views and one common one. The common one is that he can't run a power play. A lot of times an assistant coach handles the pp, so I'm not sure I would fire him for that alone. The conflicting view is that he does not put the players in a position to succeed, and the team does not have the players to succeed. To me it can't be both. Either they don't have a number one Centre or Therrien is holding back a true number one Centre. If they don't have the horses to go for the cup, that is a gm issue, not Therrien's. I wanted Hartley when they were looking for coaches. Second would have been Crawford and third Roy. Overall I have been happy with three winning seasons and back to back 2nd round appearances. He did this on Price and a solid defense. The team didn't have the personnel to dominate offensively, so he used the tools he had and iced a winning team.

I'm not calling for Therrien's head, but this team didn't do it with solid defending. They were near the bottom of the league in all defensive categories. Besides of course goals against, which you can thank our Vezina and Hart winner for.

If we lose this series I can definitely see MT getting the hook. Guy Boucher would be a good choice as he know some of the players already. But I would also be cool with Babcock.

it would be nice to have Boucher as an assistant but I don't see that happening with all the jobs available this year

Maybe as an associate coach in charge of special teams?

"I thought I would throw a little fuel on the fire."

And it worked. :)