Desharnais in the pressbox

Meller93

So the staff has decided to take the next step and make Desharnais a healthy scratch. Not really a surprise, but the question is, does this motivate him when he returns, or kill any confidence he might have left?

Let's hope he responds the way Eller did last year.

Good move. I doubt it will help, but you never know.

One point in 15 games. One. I still can't get over it, given his icetime. The mind boggles.

Yea you'd think given his ice time he would have just picked up a few even if he wasn't even trying to set anything up. He didn't even fluke upon a few here and there.

Guest Stogey24

Good move. I doubt it will help, but you never know.

One point in 15 games. One. I still can't get over it, given his icetime. The mind boggles.

When your in a slump, they just don't go. I think a break does D.D good.

Think of how Philly fans felt when Giroux was averaging 21 minutes with nothing to show for it.

Not only Philly fans. Me as well, he's my first pick in my fantasy pool :(

It doesn't make a lot of sense to fall off the way he did.

sure 60 points was likely a career year he'll never repeat, but even his other seasons he was on a 40+ points per season pace.

how does he get so bad all of the sudden.

Even Gomez had a slower drop off.

Its like his confidence is so completely and totally shot after being criticized all off-season and after trying to live up to that contract.

It's easy after he got his contract he realized he did not have to work any more. It went straight to his head, it's not a lack of confidence it's knowing you have money coming for the next 4 years. His contract was the biggest mistake MB made.

It's easy after he got his contract he realized he did not have to work any more. It went straight to his head, it's not a lack of confidence it's knowing you have money coming for the next 4 years. His contract was the biggest mistake MB made.

I honestly feel that isn't the case. It's hard to believe that any Quebec native's pride wouldn't be killing them in Desharnais position. And I think his pride's hurtin bad. As commandent mentioned, it could possibly be the offseason critism/pressure that was placed on him after the contract, but I can see him becoming complacent. Oh the shame.

It takes a real asshole to do that to your GM/team as well, and Desharnais strikes me as a good guy. It just isn't going his way.

But I will agree on one thing, it's likely been Bergevin's worst move. PK, Eller, an Price all "proved" themselves with bridge contracts, but Desharnais' single breakout season was enough to justify his contract? I think for a guy like Desharnais MORE assessment was needed than PK And price especially, but certainly not less.

• Upvote 1

I honestly feel that isn't the case. It's hard to believe that any Quebec native's pride wouldn't be killing them in Desharnais position. And I think his pride's hurtin bad. As commandent mentioned, it could possibly be the offseason critism/pressure that was placed on him after the contract, but I can see him becoming complacent. Oh the shame.

It takes a real asshole to do that to your GM/team as well, and Desharnais strikes me as a good guy. It just isn't going his way.

But I will agree on one thing, it's likely been Bergevin's worst move. PK, Eller, an Price all "proved" themselves with bridge contracts, but Desharnais' single breakout season was enough to justify his contract? I think for a guy like Desharnais MORE assessment was needed than PK And price especially, but certainly not less.

That's a really great post. And I agree that DD needed more evaluation - particularly playing on a line where he wasn't insulated. That's a tough thing to do, but sometimes situations warrant experimentation and in this case I think Montreal would have been better served seeing if DD could produce away from especially Patches.

I personally suspect that what happened was that Desharnais DID lose his edge and drive after the contract - but I think he realized a while ago that he needed to get his mojo back, and has been trying hard, and increasingly desperately (not to mention unsuccesfully). So we can reconcile Richard09 and and Meller93's interpretations.

It's become a psychodrama, all right. I suppose it shows that a player like Desharnais cannot afford to drop his guard and focus even for one instant, because getting that edge back is really tough.

• Upvote 1

Last season he had a difference of 0.01 PPG before he signed his contract and after he signed his contract.

The idea that he started coasting immediately after getting his contract (something thats been in social media since the day he signed) is just not backed up by the stats.

Desharnais would have been a UFA after this season..... he's considerably older than Price, Eller, PK, etc....

The bridge contract works with them cause they are still RFA afterwards, but this aspect of the CBA was probably playing against MB in Desharnais case.

I wonder how much leverage Bergevin had on the term, though. 3 years at 3.5 would look much better right now for us, and could Desharnais really turn that down?

Bergevin gambled that DD would be a minimum 45 point player throughout his contract.... Something I would have bet on too.

It looks like that gamble is a losing one right now.

Hence why when we constantly hear .... "sign X free agent to a long-term deal and get a lower cap hit" its not always the best move.

There is a difference to signing a slow, undersized, late bloomer to a long term deal in the year the cap is going to decrease, and signing no-brainers like Subban, Markov, or maxpac to long term deals.

I said it at the time, Markov should have been signed to a 6 or 7 year deal before he turned 35, coming of knee surgery and all. Subban should have been signed to a life time deal.

We did well on the maxpac deal and pleks deal, but could have done better with pleks by signing him earlier.

Bergevin gambled that DD would be a minimum 45 point player throughout his contract.... Something I would have bet on too.

It looks like that gamble is a losing one right now.

Hence why when we constantly hear .... "sign X free agent to a long-term deal and get a lower cap hit" its not always the best move.

1) Markov is 34 right now......

2) Hindsight is 20/20. There are numerous long term deals around the NHL that people thought were "sure things" that have bit them in the ass. Brad Richards?, Roberto Luongo? and many, many more.

Also

St. Pierre and Leblanc sent down... .looks like DD and Moen will be back in the lineup thursday/

Shame about Leblanc, however with this turn of confidence perhaps he'll really take his game to the next level and start tearing up the A. That's be great because I think a Leblanc for Schenn deal seems pretty good.

As for DD, you have to think the rope is far shorter now.

1) Markov is 34 right now......

2) Hindsight is 20/20. There are numerous long term deals around the NHL that people thought were "sure things" that have bit them in the ass. Brad Richards?, Roberto Luongo? and many, many more.

Also

St. Pierre and Leblanc sent down... .looks like DD and Moen will be back in the lineup thursday/

Try every long term deal the Buffalo Sabres have done and every long term deal the Rangers have done that wasn't before a bridge deal.

Speaking of Desharnais, a tidbit from Pierre LeBrun:

That $14 million, four-year extension the Habs signed him to last March doesn’t look great right now, but a little perspective is also needed here.

Desharnais was coming off a 60-point season in 2011-12 and was putting up decent numbers again in the lockout-shortened season at the time of the signing; and he had salary arbitration rights. The thinking last season was that if Desharnais went to arbitration, he could easily get as much as $4 million a year. So the Habs decided to be proactive and sign him ahead of time. It sounded good at the time; now it obviously looks like an anchor of a deal.

I remember at the time of the deal that some were suggesting this. Somehow, I don't remember if I was one of those...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/27619/rumblings-gms-likely-to-address-fightning