Game 1, Rangers vs Canadiens, 1 PM

dlbalr

God I hope Price isn't hurt

I think they're trying to protect his confidence.

What a freakin' abomination!

It's only one game, you take out the second quickie and the glaring gaffes by Subban, Price and Emelin, and it's a different game. Monday will be a different game.

That being said, with two evenly matched teams, they would be well advised to avoid another stinker.

One of the best Habs teams ever, the 70s team that won four Stanley Cups in a row, Lost game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals to the New York Rangers in 1979, in a game where the team lacked effort and played a stinker at the forum. The game came just days after an emotional 7 game series vs Boston (too many men on the ice game). If that team was allowed an Emotional Letdown, so is this one.

This series is far from over.

The 1979 Habs would regroup and win the series, in 5 games.

Not saying we are going to win in 5, just saying that an emotional let down was foreseeable and inevitable.

I actually like the fact that this game was a blowout..... Embarasses them, gets the emotion back, and we should be much more focused for game 2.

• Upvote 4

One of the best Habs teams ever, the 70s team that won four Stanley Cups in a row, Lost game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals to the New York Rangers in 1979, in a game where the team lacked effort and played a stinker at the forum. The game came just days after an emotional 7 game series vs Boston (too many men on the ice game). If that team was allowed an Emotional Letdown, so is this one.

Not saying we are going to win in 5, just saying that an emotional let down was foreseeable and inevitable.

I actually like the fact that this game was a blowout..... Embarasses them, gets the emotion back, and we should be much more focused for game 2.

I just hope Price is not hurt. It is hard not to believe the boys will be more focused next game. However, history is past and nothing else, clearly does not affect the outcome of this game. We were stunned by the Rangers. Besides the emotional side today, I guess some changes must be made and MT will do it for sure. He knows this is a completely different type of game. Make this team more skilled and faster and the Ranger will have a lot of work.

I agree that this series is far from over and a blow-out may help get them motivated going forward. I also get the comparison of the let down after an emotional game 7 win. But comparing these two teams that are pretty even to 1979 is a stretch. That team was FAR superior then the 1979 rangers who were got to the final on John Davidson's back, but really weren't much of a threat to the Habs.

I still say Habs in 6, but, they really need to change their game plan, lines and get the PP going. They also can't take as many stupid penalties as this afternoon. We were actually playing stupid, the same way the bruins do against us.

I agree that this series is far from over and a blow-out may help get them motivated going forward. I also get the comparison of the let down after an emotional game 7 win. But comparing these two teams that are pretty even to 1979 is a stretch. That team was FAR superior then the 1979 rangers who were got to the final on John Davidson's back, but really weren't much of a threat to the Habs.

I still say Habs in 6, but, they really need to change their game plan, lines and get the PP going. They also can't take as many stupid penalties as this afternoon. We were actually playing stupid, the same way the bruins do against us.

I'm not comparing this team to the 1979 team.

I'm just saying if a team that good can have an emotional let down and get blown out despite all the talent... we should know that this team is capable of the same type of let down.

This game will not be reflective of the rest of the series IMO.

Guest Stogey24

I'm not comparing this team to the 1979 team.

I'm just saying if a team that good can have an emotional let down and get blown out despite all the talent... we should know that this team is capable of the same type of let down.

This game will not be reflective of the rest of the series IMO.

I agree

I've seen it go different ways in my time. There's the 1979 case Commandant mentions; I could also reference the McSorley stick game, where we managed to avoid heading back to LA down 0-2 by the thinnest margin imaginable, in one of the most dramatic (yet inexplicably forgotten) games in Habs history. But I also remember 2010, when, one night after gutting out a Game Seven win against the Penguins, we were blown out in Philadelphia, and never really recovered.

The trouble with not being ready for Game One is that you turn the next tilt into a must-win. But because these two teams are pretty closely matched, even if the Habs bring their "A" game, that is still no assurance of victory - only of a close-fought contest. This means that a bad bounce here, a couple of posts or missed chances, a poorly-timed penalty there, a great night from Lundqvist - any of these things could have us down 0-2 heading to NYC and then needing a superhuman effort to win the series. It's fine to say we can beat these guys. Certainly, we can. But we're now in a position where we have no margin of error.

I'm a little surprised, I thought these guys were wiser and more battle-hardened than to put themselves in that pickle. Oh, well.

It's worth mentioning, and I mentioned to some of my Bruins friends, that in 2011, after the Bruins beat us 8-6/8-0, they let in 6 goals and were shut out the next games.

There are rumors that Therrien was extended, so they were all in la-la land.

That game when the Habs came back vs NYR from 5-0, the next game they let in five goals.

I agree CC, there's no margin for error, no matter the reason they lost, they gave the Rangers a game, and now they must win the next 4/6. The odd numbered games as killers.

Also, when dealing with young, brash, speedy players like Kreider, something like this needs to happen at some point in the series. I'm not suggesting a return of the immovable object, but we already took care of Brassard. The Rags are soft like butter.

i wouldn't underestimate them. The St Louis situation has brought them together as a team - that's what got them through pittsburgh. Before the series, i've been saying that we can take them in 6 and still believe that - but not if we underestimate them.

No matter how you describe 1st game, few positives.

Krieders' play and McDonagh (wasn't one of 3 stars??) was also awesom....sorry wrong team.

Eller had another solid game but got schooled on faceoffs by Stepan/Moore.

And DD was again killed by opposing centre and this time was by Boyle.

Pacioretty played well and other than stupid penalties by Bourque, at least he showed up to play.

Emelin with only 1 hit and Markov -2 didn't shine as a pair.

And Subban was an icing & turnover machine, he looked very tired at times or just wanted to dump puck in the air/down the ice or long dumb passes to no-one in particular?

But as many said, just one game and no indication of how series will play out, especially with 'fortitude' Habs showed in last series.

Price is hurt. He didn't practice. Went for a 5 minute skate. It's over fellers. Might as well get back to your summer hobbies.

Or it's a DTD thing and he might miss a game, if that. Don't forget there's a two day layoff after tomorrow's game, lots can happen between now and then. If he's that hurt, he wouldn't have even gone on the ice today.

Also worth noting is that Budaj has fared well against the Rangers in his career (albeit a small sample size), including a shutout at MSG earlier this season. We talk about the luxury of having one of the better backups in the league, we probably shouldn't throw him under the bus at the first possible opportunity.