ECF-Game 2-Rangers at Canadiens

Is Tokarski a better choice than Budaj?

Yes, if only because he played solid while backing up Budaj after the Olympics, and the Rangers don't know much about him.

Also, I kinda wish we could call up Zachary Fucale to sit on the bench here. Good experience...but I don't think he's under contract yet.

Yes, if only because he played solid while backing up Budaj after the Olympics, and the Rangers don't know much about him.

Also, I kinda wish we could call up Zachary Fucale to sit on the bench here. Good experience...but I don't think he's under contract yet.

The more I think about it, the more I'd give Tokarski the start tonight - Budaj is a backup and I can't see winning with him. I wouldn't put Facale on the bench tonight. If Tokarski gets lit up, use Fucale as the last chip on the road and avoid the chance of him coming into a pressure situation at home.

Tokarski at least has won before at other levels and has looked good this season. Who knows, with the Rangers not knowing him, he could pull a Penny from heaven scenario.

I think it's crazy to play anyone other than Budaj. He is our backup because he is better than anyone else in the system; he has played 270+ NHL games. Admittedly his playoff record is piss-poor, but it's a very small sample size and not wholly his fault by any means. He has been a popular and exemplary teammate. He deserves this chance. If he bombs out, then sure, go for the Hail Mary play - but not before.

Well, I'll be at the game tonight, but I gotta say the news I read this morning about Price is devastating. I hope our boys can come out strong tonight, and beat the Rags easily. We need to make the Rags doubt, and show them that even without our No 1 goalie, we will NOT roll over and Die!!!

I agree with CC. You gotta go with Budaj. If he messes up tonight, then go with Tokarski, but Budaj should get the chance to show what he can do in a playoff setting!

There is some reports it's going to be Tokarski tonight. Weekes, Eklund and i think Dreger say signs are pointing to Tokarski starting. Don't know what those signs are.

Man the Habs should have drafted Kreider, if i'm mistaken they took Lebust just before the Rangers took Kreider.

I don't really mind Budaj or Tokarski, but simply need top skaters to play better to win.

Or should of taken Ryan O Reilly, Tomas Tatar, Reilly Smith or Cody Eakins. But, draft is crapshoot, picking the 'best' 17 year old kid is tough.

From the Toronto Star:

"Budaj is the regular backup, but has a poor playoff record in limited appearances. The 24-year-old Tokarski has won the Memorial Cup, the world juniors, and the Calder Cup, but has played just 10 games in the NHL. He played in parts of three games this season, winning twice, and stopped 88 of 93 shots, for a .946 save percentage. He was in the net that Price regularly occupies at the morning skate."

My choice would be to play budaj tonight, and if we lose, roll the dice and go with Fucale. Hell, I think if we weren't playing at home, I'd play Fucale tonight.

I thought they might have had Fucale skate with the Black Aces when his junior team was eliminated. Given how poorly he played in Round 3 in the QMJHL playoffs (there's no sugarcoating it, he was awful), any idea of that went out the window. He has played a ton for a junior player in three years, they may just want to give him a break as well. He also hasn't skated in 3 weeks since his team was ousted so I honestly don't think he's on the radar at all to be called up.

Fucale signed during training camp.

Guest Stogey24

I don't know. I almost think Budaj lost his entitlement to start when he allowed 3 goals on 8 shots in the third period of Game 1, powerplay or not.

True, so tough to be tossed into a game like that though.... Last year in the playoffs we needed Budaj to come in and he shit the bed too. Starting to think maybe Tokarski does get the nod

I think it's crazy to play anyone other than Budaj. He is our backup because he is better than anyone else in the system; he has played 270+ NHL games. Admittedly his playoff record is piss-poor, but it's a very small sample size and not wholly his fault by any means. He has been a popular and exemplary teammate. He deserves this chance. If he bombs out, then sure, go for the Hail Mary play - but not before.

Budaj didn't show anything against the Sens last year or in relief in game 1 on Saterday. Patrick Roy anointed him as the Avs goalie of the future when he retired and he repeatedly has proven that he can't be the man when he has to be. We already know that at best he is Bunny Laracque (good regular season backup), while Tokarski has the potential to surprise as an unknown like Steve Penny did.

i'd go with Tokarski. He is an unknown and that is about the only advantage we have in goal. We still need the team in front of him to show up, but I'd rather roll the dice withs someone who ca

True, so tough to be tossed into a game like that though.... Last year in the playoffs we needed Budaj to come in and he shit the bed too. Starting to think maybe Tokarski does get the nod

Hmmm. I hadn't really considered these factors. It's true that, if you can argue that Budaj has had a legitimate shot to show his chops and flopped, then the case for starting someone else does get stronger.

If Therrien goes with Tokarski, why hasn't he been on the bench instead of Budaj? Giving Budaj a better seat at the game just because he's a good teammate seems a bit odd if he isn't the first man in the net in this situation.

I don't know. I almost think Budaj lost his entitlement to start when he allowed 3 goals on 8 shots in the third period of Game 1, powerplay or not.

He wasn't exactly getting a lot of defensive support on those goals.

Budaj did shut out the Rangers in the first regular-season game, although that was way back in October.

Well this just in Eklund sez he has it on good authority that Torkarski starts. And has EK ever been wrong? Ok He has been wrong but only on days that end in Y.

i'd go with Tokarski. He is an unknown and that is about the only advantage we have in goal. We still need the team in front of him to show up, but I'd rather roll the dice withs someone who ca

"Unknown" in the sense of limited NHL experience. I think he's a great prospect...I suspect he'll be a legitimate number one starter in the NHL someday for some team. (I doubt it will be Montréal, if only because he's not much younger than Price.)

I am hoping it is Tokarski cause maybe the guys will rally round the rookie. Everyone may play to their best, it's a thought. I know that Budaj has some nhl experience but virtually none in the playoffs, and what he does have ain't good.

Tokarski or Budaj, we can still win this series if we play our game, stuff neutral zone up, and bring a physical game. Go to the net and look for "Bruins" type goals and get pretty boy Lundquist remembering just how awful he has been vs Mtl. Effort will get reward, and we ain't done yet....

:gohabsgo::habslogo::gohabsgo:

I am hoping it is Tokarski cause maybe the guys will rally round the rookie. Everyone may play to their best, it's a thought. I know that Budaj has some nhl experience but virtually none in the playoffs, and what he does have ain't good.

Getting thrown into relief in the playoffs, not pretty indeed. But better than .900 and 2.5 GAA in each of three regular seasons with the Habs (in spite of that terrible 2-5 post-Olympic stretch this year).

Either way, not an easy choice for MT.

Putting in Tokarski is a statement of non-confidence in our officical backup. So if Tokarski starts and fails.....

A very tough call..but I wasn't at the last practice and don't have to make that call..i'm happy to report...