Habs sign Jiri Sekac

dlbalr

I'll agree that he should be playing over the biggest piece of garbage in the league, but the expectation when he was signed was to play for the Habs, which I took issue with, because they have two players who bring the same elements. (Weise and Bournival).

Yah! We shoulda sign Enrico Ciccone and Chris Simon instead. Why sign a young european player with offensive talent when we can sign good ole canadian boys who can participate in staged fights and get brain lapses.

I thought he was pretty sound defensively; which would be the first reason to keep a young star on the bench. Also the images I have seen, he looks bigger broader than Eller. No way is he anywhere close to 182 lbs that he was listed at the start of year. I see no reason for him not to be in starting lineup every game. With any luck he will soon be a STAR.

What I like is his hustle and his will to compete hard and mix it up physically... can't have a player like that scratched, and leave Moen and Bourque in, we've seen enough of that haven't we?

I mean, Einstein's definition of insanity should be reason enough not to try that anymore...

Dalhab, is that really how you feel about Canadian hockey players? They are only good for staged fights and brain lapses? I don't think that is how you really think. Did you just mean it was better to sign a skilled player over a goon? That I will agree with, regardless of where he was born and raised. As far as I can see the top skilled players both in the league and in the draft are "good old Canadian boys" with a dabble of Europeans Yanks and Russians tossed in the mix. Yes most goons do also come from here as we stress the importance of protecting the talent from a young age. Even at the Atom level if you hack down a good skater you can expect somebody to get a shot back in at you. That is part of the game. Sekac made a blind pass that resulted in a turnover last night in the second. Brain lapse. That is expected in a rookie, regardless of where the come from. It is part of the growing process. Beaulieu had a fight because someone got in his face and hacked at him. Should be playing Nygren over him because he is a European and would have turned the other cheek? That would be a silly statement too.

I don't think any Habs fan was saying Sekac? Why did we get him when we needed someone to replace Parros not a soft Euro? Everyone was and is happy with the signing. Even ,me and you know I believe a team needs toughness. We have that in Prust, Tinordi and Weise. Two "good old Canadians" and a Yank. We don't need a goon, we can handle the toughest teams out there.

I can't believe the "Euro" factor is even brought up in this day and age. Can we all just move on, please.

Not having watched the preseason, last night was the first game where Sekac really made me sit up and take notice. If he can play like that on a regular basis, well, damn! Let's find the world's biggest crapper and flush Rene Bourque down it as soon as possible.

I have been noticing his skill set since the preseason. He has all the tools to be a top line winger. We scored on this pickup.

I agree on Bourque, although in his defence he came out in the first few games playing great and had a ton of chances and one or two called back goals. After last years playoffs he had earned a chance. He is one of those driven players who plays his best when the chips are down but can't perform on a regular game in game out basis. Maybe we could shelf him until the end of the year? Give him the odd game but mostly play youth in that slot. He may be making us smile come the spring if we do. After all, nobody is about to toss us a lottery ball for him. Heck, make him a name tag for his seat at the Bell. Let him watch, wait and stew. Come playoffs he will be hungry and need to prove he is worth a contract to someone next year. Rather get 7 playoff goals out of him than let him go on waivers which is the realistic option on him at this point. Now if the Bruins had him the Leafs would give them three firsts for him, but not going to happen.

Dalhab, is that really how you feel about Canadian hockey players? They are only good for staged fights and brain lapses? I don't think that is how you really think. Did you just mean it was better to sign a skilled player over a goon? That I will agree with, regardless of where he was born and raised. As far as I can see the top skilled players both in the league and in the draft are "good old Canadian boys" with a dabble of Europeans Yanks and Russians tossed in the mix. Yes most goons do also come from here as we stress the importance of protecting the talent from a young age. Even at the Atom level if you hack down a good skater you can expect somebody to get a shot back in at you. That is part of the game. Sekac made a blind pass that resulted in a turnover last night in the second. Brain lapse. That is expected in a rookie, regardless of where the come from. It is part of the growing process. Beaulieu had a fight because someone got in his face and hacked at him. Should be playing Nygren over him because he is a European and would have turned the other cheek? That would be a silly statement too.

I don't think any Habs fan was saying Sekac? Why did we get him when we needed someone to replace Parros not a soft Euro? Everyone was and is happy with the signing. Even ,me and you know I believe a team needs toughness. We have that in Prust, Tinordi and Weise. Two "good old Canadians" and a Yank. We don't need a goon, we can handle the toughest teams out there.

The person I answered to has been against this signing all the time saying words like soft euros and so. If I thought that about all canadian players, why would I even follow the NHL? Or hockey at all for that matter? In other words i rather want a skilled player over a goon. It was sarcasm about the old sayings. During the 70s all NA people called european players soft chicken swedes and so on and in europe we called NA players goons and violent crazys.

I really think the Euro factor is out the window these days for most teams, and having an attitude like the Sedin's had against the Bruins that year is the civilized man's correct attitude, and the one I've taught my kids.

So therefore I am not tough, because I agree with being civilized within playing a game? Nope, I'm as tough as they come, you know, being a Maritimer, lol ;) Just don't think it's right to break your opponent's leg if you can't catch him, and it be alright within the minds of the officials.

It's the dinosaur mindset at the top of the officiating chain that robbed the Canucks of winning that 7 game final. They didn't lose it based on their ability to play hockey, and they certainly didn't lose because they have highly skilled European players that didn't fight their way to making 7-8 millions dollars a year, they lost it because they had no chance to counteract the repugnant Bruins, and officiating, Stacked deck.....

I really still have to say however, that I believe there is instilled in a Canadian boy, a nuance of "hockey = toughness", that is not inherent to some of the European players, because they don't play all their hockey growing up here in North America, good or bad.

Just like maybe some basic human rights are considered more in Canada and Europe, than in the USA, or the third world, and more inherent to the populations there. Just a stereotypical evaluation, that's for the most part a big old steaming pile of BS.

But most of the European players learn it quickly, if they didn't know already, and are no less tough or deserving of refereeing that supports skill in hockey, instead of the sh!t show that was the Bruins last cup.

There is no formula or birthplace that can make a person tough, no matter where you're from, toughness is as individual as intelligence is....

dalhabs, in the 70's those were both pretty accurate descriptions. Europeans have developed an edge and NAs have become more skill driven. It has been a positive change on both sides.

Yah! We shoulda sign Enrico Ciccone and Chris Simon instead. Why sign a young european player with offensive talent when we can sign good ole canadian boys who can participate in staged fights and get brain lapses.

We did sign Enrico Ciccone.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000452001.html

Ahem, Don.....are you sold yet? Sekac has looked like a top 6 to me, just a matter of time...MTL time, not Hamilton

NO not sold yet, and I did say he looked OK, but was not OK to sit him in pressbox so long and Hamilton top line was a much better option if not going to play him.

And hope he can make an impact, but we have had D'Agostini & Hossa who also came in and looked super at start but... so maybe give it a month or 4 before really make any long term projection.

Maybe he and Larry can be a good combo, both can skate and forecheck well.

NO not sold yet, and I did say he looked OK, but was not OK to sit him in pressbox so long and Hamilton top line was a much better option if not going to play him.

And hope he can make an impact, but we have had D'Agostini & Hossa who also came in and looked super at start but... so maybe give it a month or 4 before really make any long term projection.

I agree. Much of my criticisms of Sekac are about managing expectations. After one good game, the Sekac fan boys are out again in full force. I predicted he would play in 35-45 games and get about 15-20 points. What's happened this year is in line with that. I'll give credit where credit is due, he plays hard and checks, but who's to say after 8 gamed in the NHL he's any different from Louis Leblanc in 2011?

Even a Gallagher just went log stretch with zero points, so will Sekac have fortitude to fight through a slump and do enough away from puck to stay in lineup? we just don't know yet.

He played 3 games, we must have been desperate.

Even a Gallagher just went log stretch with zero points, so will Sekac have fortitude to fight through a slump and do enough away from puck to stay in lineup? we just don't know yet.

Don he is here to stay. Mark my words.

dalhabs, in the 70's those were both pretty accurate descriptions. Europeans have developed an edge and NAs have become more skill driven. It has been a positive change on both sides.

Ive seen clips when swedish tv wanted an interview with Phil Esposito. When he heard is was SWEDISH television he refused. :D

• Upvote 1

I really think the Euro factor is out the window these days for most teams, and having an attitude like the Sedin's had against the Bruins that year is the civilized man's correct attitude, and the one I've taught my kids.

So therefore I am not tough, because I agree with being civilized within playing a game? Nope, I'm as tough as they come, you know, being a Maritimer, lol ;) Just don't think it's right to break your opponent's leg if you can't catch him, and it be alright within the minds of the officials.

It's the dinosaur mindset at the top of the officiating chain that robbed the Canucks of winning that 7 game final. They didn't lose it based on their ability to play hockey, and they certainly didn't lose because they have highly skilled European players that didn't fight their way to making 7-8 millions dollars a year, they lost it because they had no chance to counteract the repugnant Bruins, and officiating, Stacked deck.....

I really still have to say however, that I believe there is instilled in a Canadian boy, a nuance of "hockey = toughness", that is not inherent to some of the European players, because they don't play all their hockey growing up here in North America, good or bad.

Just like maybe some basic human rights are considered more in Canada and Europe, than in the USA, or the third world, and more inherent to the populations there. Just a stereotypical evaluation, that's for the most part a big old steaming pile of BS.

But most of the European players learn it quickly, if they didn't know already, and are no less tough or deserving of refereeing that supports skill in hockey, instead of the sh!t show that was the Bruins last cup.

There is no formula or birthplace that can make a person tough, no matter where you're from, toughness is as individual as intelligence is....

Reminds me of a line I picked up in a movie somewhere reiterating a proverbial wisdom... "Do not mistake politeness for weakness."

He played 3 games, we must have been desperate.

Don he is here to stay. Mark my words.

gonna have to agree.... i don't think hossa (drafted simply by last name in hopes of being his brother) and d'agostini (all speed no hands) are even close to comparing to sekac .... sekac in his few games from preseason till now has looked and played like one of our better forwards... in hindsight, sekac could have been scratched all these games for bourque and to a lesser extent moen to help facilitate a trade... now with bourque's recent waiving, sekac barring injury will play all season long...

thank GOD!!