First Round Matchup

zumpano21

Who ever we play we can beat them. Le Genius will set blender on go fast, and we be off to the races.

He'll have some motivating speeches and adjustments in the bank, he hasn't done much of that all year. I wonder if complacency has set in with MT? Is he ever mad at these guys? The Subban War seems like twenty years ago. I wonder if he's penciled in the days off in the waiting period for the first round?

Brian: In your rendition of Detroit vs Montreal, I don't see any mention of coaching staff. I will speak for myself, but reading many posts; I expect it would hold true for many posters here; I think Detroit has an clear advantage.

• Upvote 1

He hasn't made adjustments, you got to be joking?

Because the roster and lines have been "adjusted" quite often and so much so that it is butt of many jokes by cynics/critics.

And he hasn't read them the riot act between periods or behind closed doors...you really think that is the case? :blush:

12!?!?!?

Haha yup, PEI to Montreal. I try to make the trip at least once a year. And I think by loading up my car with cheap Quebec beer to take back home, the trip pays for itself :rofl:

Brian: In your rendition of Detroit vs Montreal, I don't see any mention of coaching staff. I will speak for myself, but reading many posts; I expect it would hold true for many posters here; I think Detroit has an clear advantage.

I did briefly mention the coaching at the end of the piece:

While there are other concerns, such as coaching, puck possession, and the likes of Zetterberg and Datsyuk, a top goalie can pretty much single-handedly overcome that.

There's no real way to quantify coaching. While I agree that Babcock is a better coach, how can I write about what effect it will have? They might have a better game plan...but it may or may not make a difference. The execution from the players is what will matter which is why I'm sticking to writing about them and staying away from writing about each opponents' coaches.

12!?!?!?

You bet 12 hours.

Within/inside the province of Quebec, Montreal is in the centre West-East and at the very South of the land.

To the South, the USA are about 30 to 45 minutes away (depending on your driving habits... ;) )

To the East, you can drive about 12 hours and STILL be in Quebec, reaching the city of Gaspé in an area called Gaspésie-Iles-de-la-Madelaine. The Maritimes (including illWill's location, are South or East of Gaspésie)

To the West, a 2 hours drive will get you to Gatineau, who is the city right next to Ottawa. Fun fact, the quickest road to get to Gatineau will have you drive through Ottawa.

To the North now... North West, you have the area called Abitibi-Témiscamingue (junior hockey teams of Vald'Or and Rouyn-Noranda) which is a good 7 hours drive. North East, 5 hours to reach Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean (Chicoutimi). Fermont, the city where you just don't want to go aside from any job related reasons, is about 20 hours drive from Montreal. Forget it. Take a flight.

You bet 12 hours.

Within/inside the province of Quebec, Montreal is in the centre West-East and at the very South of the land.

To the South, the USA are about 30 to 45 minutes away (depending on your driving habits... ;) )

To the East, you can drive about 12 hours and STILL be in Quebec, reaching the city of Gaspé in an area called Gaspésie-Iles-de-la-Madelaine. The Maritimes (including illWill's location

To the West, a 2 hours drive will get you to Gatineau, who is the city right next to Ottawa. Fun fact, the quickest road to get to Gatineau will have you drive through Ottawa.

To the North now... North West, you have the area called Abitibi-Témiscamingue (junior hockey teams of Vald'Or and Rouyn-Noranda) which is a good 7 hours drive. North East, 5 hours to reach Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean (Chicoutimi). Fermont, the city where you just don't want to go aside from any job related reasons, is about 20 hours drive from Montreal. Forget it. Take a flight.

Jeez. That's different from New England where I grew up. You can drive to all of the states in that time.

I am a good 4400km from Belle Centre, so highly doubt I will be driving there this year...unless habs rule is paying for the fuel! :nuts:

6536km and Atlantic Ocean. Ha! No chance this year but I'd like to go to Canada at least once in the next 5-6 years (funny fact - I'm afraid of flying but I've never flown before so there's only one choice - a kayak!)

Question - is there any chance to get a job in Quebec, let's say Montreal if you don't speak French or understand some words and sentences?

I'm jealous :gohabsgo:

There's no real way to quantify coaching. While I agree that Babcock is a better coach, how can I write about what effect it will have? They might have a better game plan...but it may or may not make a difference. The execution from the players is what will matter which is why I'm sticking to writing about them and staying away from writing about each opponents' coaches.

I thought you were just putting a list of plus and minus's together. Until proven different, the Detroit organization has been a beacon of playoff consistency and performance for the last twenty years. I would like the Habs to knock the Wings off that hill. For now, I have to give the Wings that check mark and as you say they probably still have the best coach. I think their record over the last twenty years quanitifies their consistency.

What's a gallon of gas cost in Canada these days? It's 2.50 a gallon here in South Florida.

Gallons..you are talking americanese!

$1+ litre, so $4.50+ likely for one of those gallon thingys here. :blush:

6536km and Atlantic Ocean. Ha! No chance this year but I'd like to go to Canada at least once in the next 5-6 years (funny fact - I'm afraid of flying but I've never flown before so there's only one choice - a kayak!)

Question - is there any chance to get a job in Quebec, let's say Montreal if you don't speak French or understand some words and sentences?

I'm jealous :gohabsgo:

Lot of businesses will hire you in field of activities such as costumer service, bar/restaurants, marketing/surveys, etc.

So Isles or Wash is most likely 1st round match-up eh? Habs finish 2nd and Caps pass Isles...or not.

Rather see Wings or Bruins, but maybe Isles/Caps will be just as entertaining? :pray:

Bruins Habs ..... always the best!

By a country mile.

Well said. Coaches get far too much praise and blame, when in reality it is the players on the ice that dictate the outcome of a game.

Yes and what players are on the roster is result of Mgmt decisions, not coach.

A Sather is much more willing to mortgage future (due to being as old as dirt); than a relative youngster in Bergevin is, who is more conservative.

Will tonight be preview of 1st round match-up?